redlegs7089
06-01-2007, 07:45 PM
thats the spirit!

keeganbrick
06-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Younger Eric Milton....

thorn
06-01-2007, 08:10 PM
I thought many where high on Livingston, even calling him the 5th starter out of ST, now he's Milton, what happened?

keeganbrick
06-01-2007, 08:11 PM
I dont think anyone has been high on Livingston. Just another soft-tosser.

redsupport
06-01-2007, 08:24 PM
recycled flotsam

6-4-3
06-01-2007, 08:35 PM
earned runs tonight

Based on what? His 1 start in the bigs? He'll go 6 tonight and give up 4.

redsupport
06-01-2007, 09:01 PM
ok we will see whose prognostication is more accurate

cincrazy
06-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Tom Glavine and Jamie Moyer are a couple of other "soft tossing" left hander's, and I'd say they've done all right for themselves. Not saying Livingston will have the career of those two, but the fact that he doesn't have velocity doesn't mean all that much.

James B.
06-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Younger Eric Milton....

I would love to have the young version of Eric Milton.

Xavier Redleg
06-01-2007, 11:35 PM
redsupport, who seems to have a grudge against Livingston, was way off
Livingston 6 2/3 IP 7H 1R 0ER 1BB 0SO
I don't think he'll be the next Glavine or Moyer either, but he can definately be a servicable major league pitcher.

reds44
06-01-2007, 11:39 PM
redsupport, who seems to have a grudge against Livingston, was way off
Livingston 6 2/3 IP 7H 1R 0ER 1BB 0SO
I don't think he'll be the next Glavine or Moyer either, but he can definately be a servicable major league pitcher.
Bobby won't last long giving up 7 H and striking out nobody. Definition of junk baller.

To his credit, he pitches his butt off tonight, and did better then anoy of us could have asked. He'll get another start, but he's got to make more people miss and give up less hits.

redsupport
06-01-2007, 11:53 PM
you were right, I was too saturnine

6-4-3
06-02-2007, 12:09 AM
ok we will see whose prognostication is more accurate

I win that round. Livingston should get another start.

Way to kick the night off being negative, and not providing any reasons for your prediction.

redsupport
06-02-2007, 12:13 AM
my reasonins was based on a whip of 2.06 and an opposibg ba of 435 what was your reasoning based on, a oujii board

ED44
06-02-2007, 12:19 AM
Consider me impressed by Livingston. He may not throw in the 90's, but what I really liked about him was the way he hit his spots. He left a couple up in the zone, but for the most part he hit all spots with all his pitches. He seemed to have good arm action on his change-up and located his sinker well. Would it be nice if he threw harder? Of course...but if he can keep hitters off-balance by hitting spots with all of his pitches he can be successful...especially for a 5-man.

6-4-3
06-02-2007, 12:21 AM
my reasonins was based on a whip of 2.06 and an opposibg ba of 435 what was your reasoning based on, a oujii board

Watching his 1st start, and taking into account that he is facing a club that doesn't hit very well (.258 BA)...combined with the fact that they have never faced him before. I'm not saying Livingston is going to stick in the rotation, but a junk-lefty like he is can give people fits when they haven't seen him in the past.

His 1st start was against a much better lineup (LA) and he was in line for the win when he left the game (although I grade him at a C+ for that outing).

Sometimes things based on feel can work out well.

reds44
06-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Don't get excited about Livingston guys, he's a junkballer at it's finest. Even Chris Machalak had a good outing last year.

Livingston's 1st start: 5.1 IP, 10 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
Tonight: 6.2 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K

Total: 12 IP, 17 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 1 K

If he wants a chance at having success in the majors, he HAS to strike out more and give up less hits. He will get killed pitching at GABP pitching with those numbers.

roby
06-02-2007, 12:40 AM
...Would it be nice if he threw harder? Of course...but if he can keep hitters off-balance by hitting spots with all of his pitches he can be successful...especially for a 5-man.

Is that you, George Grande??? :laugh:

WVPacman
06-02-2007, 01:10 AM
Don't get excited about Livingston guys, he's a junkballer at it's finest. Even Chris Machalak had a good outing last year.

Well to be fair to livingston,the reds have nothing but junkballers on the pitching side.The bullpen absolutly stinks except for Countlangius,Weathers and maybe one more.Our starting pitching is decent but Arroyo is terrible these days,Lohse has only one 2 and beliyle is a question mark b/c you never know how hes going to pitch.Livingston is 1-0 I think and has pitched really well considering it was his 3rd and 4th start. So in my book livingston is just as good as any other starter except for Harand and maybe Beliyle.

Bottom line is we have to give the guy credit and I have to feel excited for him b/c in his 4th start ever he SHUT DOWN the Rockies a team that swept us in Cincy and he shut them down at their home that is a homerun park. Congrats to you Livingston!!!

camisadelgolf
06-02-2007, 06:47 AM
I didn't know he could hit so well. :cool:

nate
06-02-2007, 08:22 AM
That "word-a-day" calendar is really paying off for someone!

HumnHilghtFreel
06-02-2007, 08:24 AM
That "word-a-day" calendar is really paying off for someone!

I always assumed he was a thesaurus salesman.

Degenerate39
06-02-2007, 08:42 AM
earned runs tonight

Good call

Betterread
06-02-2007, 11:49 AM

I laughed out loud at this reply.:laugh:

James B.
06-02-2007, 12:00 PM
He kind of reminds me of a left handed Elizardo R. He throws strikes and goes right at the hitters. He doesn't have good stuff but he don't seem to be intimidated either. Burton and Salmon seem intimidated sometimes. I don't think Livingston will last over the long term but they might as well ride him as long as he pitches like this.

keeganbrick
06-02-2007, 12:19 PM

Livingston's 1st start: 5.1 IP, 10 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
Tonight: 6.2 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K

Total: 12 IP, 17 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 1 K

If he wants a chance at having success in the majors, he HAS to strike out more and give up less hits. He will get killed pitching at GABP pitching with those numbers.

Exactly, its a great comparison between the two. Livingston also had the edge because none of those hitters had ever seen him pitch before. He pitched well last night but I dont see any reason to get your hopes up about him. Just reality.

keeganbrick
06-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Well to be fair to livingston,the reds have nothing but junkballers on the pitching side.The bullpen absolutly stinks except for Countlangius,Weathers and maybe one more.Our starting pitching is decent but Arroyo is terrible these days,Lohse has only one 2 and beliyle is a question mark b/c you never know how hes going to pitch.Livingston is 1-0 I think and has pitched really well considering it was his 3rd and 4th start. So in my book livingston is just as good as any other starter except for Harand and maybe Beliyle.

Bottom line is we have to give the guy credit and I have to feel excited for him b/c in his 4th start ever he SHUT DOWN the Rockies a team that swept us in Cincy and he shut them down at their home that is a homerun park. Congrats to you Livingston!!!

:help:

Screwball
06-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Well to be fair to livingston,the reds have nothing but junkballers on the pitching side.

Aaron Harang, Brad Salmon, and Jared Burton say hi.

he SHUT DOWN the Rockies a team that swept us in Cincy

No. The Rockies didn't sweep the Reds, they took 2 of 3.

reds44
06-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Well to be fair to livingston,the reds have nothing but junkballers on the pitching side.
Our other 4 starters Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, and Loshe are nowhere near junkballers. All of them have plus stuff. The closest thing to a "junkballer" of the bunch is probably Arroyo because all the breaking balls he throws, however he is by no means a junkballer. Livingston doesn't compare in talent to any of them.

boognish
06-02-2007, 01:52 PM
I thought the Ramirez comparison was a good one, in that both pitchers have little margin for error. Depending on the Reds' defense to turn batted balls into outs rather than relying on hitters swinging and missing is a good recipe for disaster, as the Reds are currently next-to-last in baseball in defensive efficiency rating, or % of batted balls converted into outs, at 68.1%.

Ramirez struck out his share of hitters when he was hot last season (5.97 K/9 in 2006), though, so let's be a little kinder to him. The Rockies are a bad team and I am happy Mr. Livingston pitched well against them, but to count on him for any role more exposed than spot starting is foolhardy, IMO.

reds44
06-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Ramirez has better pure stuff then Livingston does. IMO,