PDA

View Full Version : Rosenthal: Padres eyeing Adam Dunn

Tom Servo
06-03-2007, 08:30 AM
http://video.msn.com/v/us/foxsports.htm?g=EE5B3AEF-8755-49B3-9CE4-C0E910C8C935&f=33&fg=copy

What would you want back from the Padres for Dunner?

RFS62
06-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Jake Peavy

:evil:

corkedbat
06-03-2007, 09:50 AM
I don't see much of a match with the Padres. They aren't giving up Peavy. Linebrink and Heath Bell might interest me (and there's always Germano :evil:), but not for AD. There would also need to be at least one (or more) solid bat(s) and/or a frontline young catcher in return and there's not much in the SD system that does much for me.

guttle11
06-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Based off what I can see of the Padres farm system, I'd just assume keep Dunn for 2 years, let him walk, and take the extra picks.

membengal
06-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Justin Germano...

heh.

Serious answer? Chris Young.

jojo
06-03-2007, 12:24 PM
IMHO, rosenthal easily misses 9 out of 10 times but people remember the one time he wasn't used as a tool or simply fullfilling his bosses' entertainment quotient.

While none of these *rumors* should be taken seriously, the link above raises one issue that I thought was fair and really should be the guideline for all of the fun banter each new *rumor* (cough) stimulates.

Really the following two questions need to be considered in conjunction IMHO:

"what would you want back from team X for Dunner?"

"what is reasonable to expect team x to give up for 3 months of Dunner?"

Clearly the second question lowers the expectations when answering the first one.

If Dunn gets traded, his '08 option vaporizes so really any trade partner is only getting 3 months of performance and the ability to try and talk him off the free agent market (basically a head start with him relative to other teams who might be interested if he hits the market).

I doubt the Padres give up Young for Dunn because they've locked him up for cheap until 2011. Being a Petco mirage, Young would be an overvalued arm for most clubs but Petco plays well for his deficiencies so he's a cheap innings eater for the Padres. I doubt they trade 3.5 years of that for 3 months of Dunn. Young has some pretty dramatic home/road splits (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/psplit.cgi?n1=youngch03) that all center on the fact that the flyballs that would be outs in Petco fell for hits/HRs on the road. While Young's got good make 'em miss ability, he's an extreme flyball pitcher (makes Milton look like a groundball pither) who has some command issues. So even if the Padres would trade him, he's not a good fit for the Reds IMHO. Basically he'd get dinged pretty badly for those flyballs at GABP.

Anyway, that's my rant.

Patrick Bateman
06-03-2007, 12:26 PM
IMHO, rosenthal easily misses 9 out of 10 times but people remember the one time he wasn't used as a tool or simply fullfilling his bosses' entertainment quotient.

While none of these *rumors* should be taken seriously, the link above raises one issue that I thought was fair and really should be the guideline for all of the fun banter each new *rumor* (cough) stimulates.

Really the following two questions need to be considered in conjunction IMHO:

"what would you want back from team X for Dunner?"

"what is reasonable to expect team x to give up for 3 months of Dunner?"

Clearly the second question lowers the expectations when answering the first one.

If Dunn gets traded, his '08 option vaporizes so really any trade partner is only getting 3 months of performance and the ability to try and talk him off the free agent market (basically a head start with him relative to other teams who might be interested if he hits the market).

I doubt the Padres give up Young for Dunn because they've locked him up for cheap until 2011. Being a Petco mirage, Young would be an overvalued arm for most clubs but Petco plays well for his deficiencies so he's a cheap innings eater for the Padres. I doubt they trade 3.5 years of that for 3 months of Dunn. Young has some pretty dramatic home/road splits (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/psplit.cgi?n1=youngch03) that all center on the fact that the flyballs that would be outs in Petco fell for hits/HRs on the road. While Young's got good make 'em miss ability, he's an extreme flyball pitcher (makes Milton look like a groundball pither) who has some command issues. So even if the Padres would trade him, he's not a good fit for the Reds IMHO. Basically he'd get dinged pretty badly for those flyballs at GABP.

Anyway, that's my rant.

Very good post.

membengal
06-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Well there you go.

Then, no one. Because Young is the only Padre that fits what I would want back from Dunn at a minimum, a young pitcher under long-term cost certainty with skillz.

And, as always with these fake trade discussions, I don't care what the Padres would give up, I want the Reds to ask for that which they cannot have as a starting point. And if the other team won't meet a very fair price, no deal.

Matt700wlw
06-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Jake Peavy

:evil:

You're putting to much stock into Adam Dunn - at least National League stock.

RedsManRick
06-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Some quick stats for reference.

Eric Milton:
H/9: 9.44
BB/9: 2.58
K/9: 6.39
GB/FB: 0.60

Chris Young
H/9: 7.71
BB/9: 3.02
K/9: 7.81
GB/FB: 0.59

He's basically Milton if Milton missed more bats. His hit rate dropped through the floor in SD. Not coincidentally, SD has a very pitcher friendly park and is a very good defensive team. Chris Young is a solid pitcher, but simply not a great fit in Cincy given our park and OF defense.

OnBaseMachine
06-03-2007, 01:05 PM
I was just looking through the Padres farm system and only a few guys interest me, and I still don't think that's enough for Dunn. Heath Bell, Chase Headley, Matt Antonelli, and Wade LeBlanc for Dunn might work, but I would prefer dealing him to a team like the Angels for Nick Adenhart and Brandon Wood, or to the Braves for Saltalmacchia and a prospect.

Chase Headley, 3B, AA - .342/.425/.571 - .997 OPS. Switch-hitting 3B.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Chase%2520Headley&pos=3B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=452104

Matt Antonelli, 2B/3B, A+ - .308/.409/.488 - .897 OPS.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Matt%2520Antonelli&pos=2B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=453327

Chad Huffman, OF, A+ - .332/.430/.579 - 1.009 OPS.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Chad%2520Huffman&pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=502151

Wade LeBlanc, LHP, A+/ 61.2 innings, 42 hits, 2 HR, 13 BB/60 K, 1.90 ERA, 0.90 WHIP in high class A.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Wade%2520Leblanc&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=453281

jojo
06-03-2007, 01:19 PM
but I would prefer dealing him to a team like the Angels for Nick Adenhart and Brandon Wood, or to the Braves for Saltalmacchia and a prospect.

Adenhart and Wood for three months of Dunn? Why not play hardball and ask for Casey Kotchman too? Thats one of the Angels top young major league or near major league talents per month. That seems pretty reasonable...

KronoRed
06-03-2007, 01:20 PM
If that's the best they will offer then keep him, a trade of Dunn should bring back at least 1 player who will contribute in some form immediately

RedLegSuperStar
06-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Rosenthal says the Padres are also eyeing Adam Dunn, for whom their pitchers' ballpark would present less of an obstacle. Two hitches: Dunn can become a free agent after this season if he's traded, and the Reds will ask for a lot. The Padres' best pitching prospect, Cesar Carrillo, recently had Tommy John surgery. Their best hitting prospect, Cedric Hunter, is trying to figure out Low A ball. Third baseman Chase Headley is hitting well in Double A, and I'm sure plenty of teams would like to have him. Headley is somewhat blocked by Kevin Kouzmanoff. Honestly, though, the Padres don't have much in the minors to trade. At the Major League level, they might be able to part with Cla Meredith and get a decent hitter in return.

- MLBTradeRumors.com

RFS62
06-03-2007, 01:37 PM
You're putting to much stock into Adam Dunn - at least National League stock.

Not really. I was joking. Hence, the devil smilie.

smith288
06-04-2007, 12:33 PM
I dont buy the GABP effect. GABP has the numbers as a hitter park because our pitching stinks and we have fence swingers. Its not like the walls are 350 in center or 310 at the corners.

We have a lineup chock full of power hitters who dont know how to play small ball so that will translate to a bunch of homeruns.

Now add in a bunch of lousy pitching and you get "GABP is a hitters paradise..." Yea, if you are hitting against the Reds pitching...

Sure, you want to stick with ground ball pitchers but you want that in any stadium because you cant hit ground ball homeruns....

So bringing in a flyball pitcher doesnt bother me as much if I knew he missed more bats and had a knack for being lucky...

Milton had that knack but lost his ability to miss as many bats when he hurt his knee. He is now relying on voodoo which I know doesnt work since I have been needling my Milton doll before each start and he has yet to miss a game as a result.

Just bring in good pitching and watch GABP lose its tag as a home run haven.

This is my opinion. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Falls City Beer
06-04-2007, 12:37 PM
The Padres are a godawful fit for a trade. Unless they'd want to empty their MLB bullpen for him.

Benihana
06-04-2007, 12:43 PM
What about some kind of three way- I know the Red Sox have been rumored to covet Linebrink. What about some kind of Dunn-Linebrink-Lester deal?

Lester was a huge pitching prospect that had success at the major league level before being diagnosed with cancer. Now fortunately he is in remission and is close to being activated from what I hear. Plus, having another young lefty would be a huge help considering Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Belisle, and all the other righties in the system. Matter of fact, is there any notable lefties other than Travis Wood in the entire system at this point? The Sox don't really have a spot with him with Becektt, Schilling, Wakefield, Dice-K, et al. Plus the Reds have targeted Lester in the past, as they supposedly wanted him as the PTBNL in the Williamson deal instead of Pelland, but the Sox refused. I like Jon Lester for this team a lot.

That said, I'd still rather target Saltalamacchia, Teixeira, or Andrew Miller if we're gonna move Dunn. But I do thing this proposed 3-way is a lot more realistic.

Patrick Bateman
06-04-2007, 12:59 PM
I dont buy the GABP effect. GABP has the numbers as a hitter park because our pitching stinks and we have fence swingers. Its not like the walls are 350 in center or 310 at the corners.

We have a lineup chock full of power hitters who dont know how to play small ball so that will translate to a bunch of homeruns.

Now add in a bunch of lousy pitching and you get "GABP is a hitters paradise..." Yea, if you are hitting against the Reds pitching...

Sure, you want to stick with ground ball pitchers but you want that in any stadium because you cant hit ground ball homeruns....

So bringing in a flyball pitcher doesnt bother me as much if I knew he missed more bats and had a knack for being lucky...

Milton had that knack but lost his ability to miss as many bats when he hurt his knee. He is now relying on voodoo which I know doesnt work since I have been needling my Milton doll before each start and he has yet to miss a game as a result.

Just bring in good pitching and watch GABP lose its tag as a home run haven.

This is my opinion. There are many like it but this one is mine...

The fact is, the Reds pitchers continually pitch better in different environments and the hitters are more effective in their own park. That's what makes GABP a massive run scoring park relative to the rest of the league.

Red Leader
06-04-2007, 01:00 PM
From the Padres I'd want Cla Meredith, Matt Antonelli, and Cesar Ramos for Dunn. Is that a pretty steep asking price? Yep, but that's what it would take for me to trade Dunn to another NL team.

RedsManRick
06-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Smith, park factors compare how your hitters do at your park versus how your hitters do elsewhere. Reds hitters hit significantly better at home than on the road. Attribute that to whatever you want, but that is a fact.

M2
06-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Smith, park factors compare how your hitters do at your park versus how your hitters do elsewhere.

It actually compares how all hitters do in your park vs. in your away games. So it's not just peculiar to your lineup or pitching staff.

LoganBuck
06-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Looking at the Padres system, I just don't see anyone that I would want back in a Dunn trade. At best you could get a less spectacular version of the Denny Neagle trade, without the Drew Henson(eventually Wily Mo) centerpiece, Ed Yarnell, Jackson Melian, and Brian Reith. The Padres don't even have an overhyped "cant miss" Drew Henson type.

NJReds
06-04-2007, 02:33 PM
I think that Votto has been playing LF lately in AAA because WK is shopping Dunn. This scares me, not because I wouldn't trade Dunn, but I don't feel confident in WK getting value back.

This is all speculation, but I don't think the Reds FO wants to spend upwards of $15M/year for Dunn. They probably think that they could stick Votto in LF for the rest of this year, and then move him back to 1st base next year.

Caveat Emperor
06-04-2007, 04:04 PM
I think that Votto has been playing LF lately in AAA because WK is shopping Dunn. This scares me, not because I wouldn't trade Dunn, but I don't feel confident in WK getting value back.

This IS the same GM who dealt a platoon OFer for Bronson Arroyo last go around. Its not like WK has proven himself to be completely unable to get decent value in trades. He's whiffed badly on a few, but he has made a deal or two work.

flyer85
06-04-2007, 04:57 PM
it would be a trade of quantity for quality. Pads really have little of interest or value in their farm system. It would be a bad deal for the Reds.

M2
06-04-2007, 05:04 PM
I think that Votto has been playing LF lately in AAA because WK is shopping Dunn.

It's some blatant telegraphing.

BRM
06-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Here is the Rosenthal article. He mentions Clay Hensley as an option.

Dye would be a logical fit for the Dodgers or Padres, and the Padres also are eyeing Reds left fielder Adam Dunn. Acquiring Dunn would be a risk — he becomes a free agent at the end of the season if he is traded — but that doesn't bother the Padres.

The Reds' price tag, however, probably would.

Dunn is their biggest chip, and the Reds would be excoriated if they traded another offensive part for bullpen help after sending outfielder Austin Kearns and shortstop Felipe Lopez to the Nationals in such a deal last season.

The emergence of right-hander Justin Germano theoretically could make righty Clay Hensley available, but the Padres will need to be careful — they've got two 40-somethings in their rotation, righty Greg Maddux and lefty David Wells, plus oft-injured righty Jake Peavy.

A right-handed hitter probably would be the best fit for the Padres, but Dunn is one hitter whose power is big enough to overcome pitcher-friendly Petco Park.

Marc D
06-04-2007, 06:51 PM
ex·co·ri·ateplay_w("E0267200")(http://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gifk-skôrhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/emacr.gif-http://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/amacr.gifthttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/lprime.gif, -skhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/omacr.gifrhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gif-)
tr.v. ex·co·ri·at·ed, ex·co·ri·at·ing, ex·co·ri·ates 1. To tear or wear off the skin of; abrade. See Synonyms at chafe (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/chafe).
2. To censure strongly; denounce: an editorial that excoriated the administration for its inaction.

for those like me who thought it sounded bad but had no idea.

REDREAD
06-04-2007, 10:58 PM
The thought of Wayne shopping Dunn and trying to make the "big deal" to save his job scares the crap out of me.

Sure, he did good on Arroyo. But Arroyo is pretty average this year (4.7 ERA).
It's still a good trade because Wily mo was overrated, but it's looking like Arroyo isn't exactly the ace we thought he was last year. (Hopefully he'll turn it around)

schroomytunes
06-05-2007, 12:37 AM
If I deal Dunn to the Padres, then this is the deal I offer them, I do not budge from the top 2 players though:

Reds trade: Adam Dunn and Todd Coffey

Padres trade: Scott Linebrink(RP) Clay Hensley(SP) and Chase Headley(AA 3b)
Headleys #'s (3B 54 200 40 70 18 3 9 35 121 28 46 1 0 .431 .605 .350 1.036)

it may be asking alot, but I dont move Dunn for much less than that! Votto becomes the LF, and Headley becomes the 1b of the future for the reds. thoughts?

Patrick Bateman
06-05-2007, 01:25 AM
If I deal Dunn to the Padres, then this is the deal I offer them, I do not budge from the top 2 players though:

Reds trade: Adam Dunn and Todd Coffey

Padres trade: Scott Linebrink(RP) Clay Hensley(SP) and Chase Headley(AA 3b)
Headleys #'s (3B 54 200 40 70 18 3 9 35 121 28 46 1 0 .431 .605 .350 1.036)

it may be asking alot, but I dont move Dunn for much less than that! Votto becomes the LF, and Headley becomes the 1b of the future for the reds. thoughts?

Linebrink's K's are down quite a bit this season, and with his pending increase in salary, I really wouldn't target him at this point. Salary and youth considered, I prefer Coffey.

In regards to Hensley, I really don't see him as anything other than a 4th or 5th pitcher. He was solid last season, but has struggled this year, and has never had much of an upside.

Headley has nice on base skills, but projects only average power down the line. He's a decent propsect, but he doesn't excite me a lot as a 1st basemen. I'd rather just put Votto there and find a decent OF'er.

If I trade Dunn, I need some kind of impact player in return. The Padres don't really have a lot in that regards except for a pair of nice relievers in Heath Bell and Cla Meredith. In a Dunn trade, 1 of them needs to come back as a starting point, and I don't include Coffey. Otherwise, I don't see a beneficial trade coming down in the Reds favor.

mth123
06-05-2007, 04:38 AM
Heath Bell is 29 years old. I'd want Kevin Kouzmanoff. SD can make Headly the 3B of the future. Kouzmanoff could be the LF for the Reds and would be a big time RH power bat in GABP. Meredith or Hensley would be a decent throw-in, but I'm suspicious of any pitcher who became "good" while throwing at Petco.

This essentially replaces Dunn (its a downgrade, but potentially not much), adds the RH bat needed to balance out Bruce, Votto and Hamilton and keeps the freed-up $ for an established starter. Kouzmanoff makes the most sense of anybody on San Diego unless the Reds could get Peavey (not bloodly likely IMO).

Jpup
06-05-2007, 06:38 AM
Jake Peavy or no deal.

RedLegSuperStar
06-05-2007, 08:43 AM
A little elaboration on the Adam Dunn to San Diego idea - Rosenthal throws Clay Hensley's name into the mix. Hensley has had a rough couple of months, with a nasty blister, a groin strain, and some awful starts. His 54% groundball rate would be a nice fit in Chicago or Cincinnati. Another player I could see catching Wayne Krivsky's eye is Cla Meredith.

- MLBTradeRumors.com

Hoosier Red
06-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Some quick stats for reference.

Eric Milton:
H/9: 9.44
BB/9: 2.58
K/9: 6.39
GB/FB: 0.60

Chris Young
H/9: 7.71
BB/9: 3.02
K/9: 7.81
GB/FB: 0.59

He's basically Milton if Milton missed more bats. His hit rate dropped through the floor in SD. Not coincidentally, SD has a very pitcher friendly park and is a very good defensive team. Chris Young is a solid pitcher, but simply not a great fit in Cincy given our park and OF defense.

Does playing in a pitchers park help lower the number of hits? I would think the huge outfield would actually raise the number of hits.

Ravenlord
06-05-2007, 09:34 AM
without reading any of the posts in this thread outside the first;

1. i told my dad two days ago that Adam Dunn was an excellent fit for the anti-slugging Padres.

2. i think Dunn would actually excel outside of the screwed up world of Cincinnati.

3. i'd trade Dunn straight up for Young.

4. i'd trade Dunn for Linrbrink (if he's not a free agent after this year) and Germano (seriously, i don't remember what we traded him for|).

5. i'd trade Dunn for some package that included Justin Hampson...mainly cause i don't think Dunn will be a Red after the following season. :(

6. i think Dunn will eventually be a HOFer...if he gets to leave the Reds:(

7. if the Reds can get Vince Sinsi and Ray Chang at the same time for Adam Dunn, i'd be happy...unfortunatly, i expcet Krivsky to get Oscar Robels and Jared Wells. :bash:

jojo
06-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Does playing in a pitchers park help lower the number of hits? I would think the huge outfield would actually raise the number of hits.

It depends upon how flyballs carry, how big the foul territory is etc...

It's more than whether a flyball will be a HR or not... For instane, flyballs hit anywhere left of right centerfield in Safeco not only lose distance but they tend to hang in the air making it more likely they will be caught.

BRM
06-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Dunn to the White Sox speculation, courtesy of mlbtraderumors.

Williams is an optimist, which fans have to appreciate. He even mentioned that he's up for the "rent-a-player scenario." That could mean acquiring even more impending free agents (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/03/2008_mlb_free_a.html), like perhaps Adam Dunn.

RedsManRick
06-05-2007, 10:49 AM
It depends upon how flyballs carry, how big the foul territory is etc...

It's more than whether a flyball will be a HR or not... For instane, flyballs hit anywhere left of right centerfield in Safeco not only lose distance but they tend to hang in the air making it more likely they will be caught.

Park Factors - Hits
GAB: 1.057 (7th)
Petco: .814 (30th)

GAB: 1.026 (8th)
Petco: .905 (29th)

GAB: 1.070 (4th)
Petco: .903 (28th)

I don't know the full explanation why, but it's pretty clear that any pitcher should expect to allow ~15% fewer hits in Petco than in GAB. Young's BAA in Texas was .251, in SD it's been .207. He's had just over 200 IP in both places, but it's clear to me that Chris Young is solid pitcher getting a massive boost from his environment. Throw in great OF defense and you have a recipe for a pitcher who can't help but succeed -- and would likely regress significantly if he moved to Cincy. Of course, for full disclosure, Young was dominant on the road and mortal at home in 2006, so what do I know?

jojo
06-05-2007, 11:47 AM
but it's clear to me that Chris Young is solid pitcher getting a massive boost from his environment. Throw in great OF defense and you have a recipe for a pitcher who can't help but succeed -- and would likely regress significantly if he moved to Cincy.

I absolutely agree with your assessment of Young.

Patrick Bateman
06-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Heath Bell is 29 years old.

True, but at least he's a good reliever. I'd much rather have Meredith. If we got Bell in the trade, I would need other things too, not a basic one for one trade. But he would be a good player to get back in any trade.

NJReds
06-05-2007, 01:22 PM
True, but at least he's a good reliever. I'd much rather have Meredith. If we got Bell in the trade, I would need other things too, not a basic one for one trade. But he would be a good player to get back in any trade.

Bell struggled when he was with the Mets, IIRC. He was average bullpen fodder. Now after two good months he's being talked about as the centerpiece of a Dunn trade. He's exactly why you don't trade proven commodities for middle relievers, they tend not to be very consistent year-to-year.

I'd much rather see the Reds try out some of the arms in the minors in the pen before dealing for the likes of Heath Bell (or Cla Meredith). Maybe Linebrink because he could close...but even then there'd have to be more.

Patrick Bateman
06-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Bell struggled when he was with the Mets, IIRC. He was average bullpen fodder. Now after two good months he's being talked about as the centerpiece of a Dunn trade. He's exactly why you don't trade proven commodities for middle relievers, they tend not to be very consistent year-to-year.

I'd much rather see the Reds try out some of the arms in the minors in the pen before dealing for the likes of Heath Bell (or Cla Meredith). Maybe Linebrink because he could close...but even then there'd have to be more.

Bell's numbers in 2005 and 2003 don't do him justice. He's actually been a really good pitcher, the Mets just didn't notice it. That's why they gave him away to San Diego.

Bell and Meredith are both miles ahead of Linebrink at this point, and that's not factoring in contracts. When that is figured, Bell and Meredith both have a lot of value as cheap, young, and most importantly, very talented relievers.

Additional prospects would be very much neccessary, but one of those guys would be a great start. Either guy's numbers project quite well outside of Petco. Both guys could close for the Reds in a second IMO.

RichRed
06-05-2007, 01:31 PM
and Germano (seriously, i don't remember what we traded him for|).

Cormier. :(

Jaycint
06-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Wow, when I think over the last season or two about the possible trade threads involving Adam Dunn and what we could hope to get in return I never thought I'd see the day when Heath Bell and Cla Meredith were spoken of as centerpieces. I'm sure they are solid relievers but boy how the trade value of Dunn has fallen.

I'd much rather snag a solid position player or starter with Dunn and see what shakes out over the course of the rest of this season relief-wise with Salmon, Coffey, MacBeth, Coutlangus, Medlock, etc.

Jpup
06-05-2007, 01:44 PM
I can't believe a trade with Adam Dunn's name in it is going to work out well for the Reds. I just can't.:bang:

Benihana
06-05-2007, 03:03 PM
I'd much rather snag a solid position player or starter with Dunn and see what shakes out over the course of the rest of this season relief-wise with Salmon, Coffey, MacBeth, Coutlangus, Medlock, etc.

Agreed. Or a real starting pitching prospect(s). For Dunn, go after Saltalamacchia, Texeira, Danks or Lester. Throw in a player if you have to (for the latter three). I'd take a wait-and-see approach with the bullpen.

Bray
Coutlangus
Burton
Livingston
McBeth
Coffey
Medlock
Pelland
Guevara

between all of these guys, I'm sure at least four or five of them will stick as decent bullpen guys for the long term. I'd see what we have with these guys before dealing a key part for any more patchwork bullpen help.

Benihana
06-06-2007, 04:09 PM
My top 5 (in no particular order) would be the following:

1) Dunn to SD; Linebrink to BOS; Lester to CIN

Granted, the Reds may have to give another player to Boston to make this work, but Lester has fully recovered from Cancer and has already attained success at the ML level, and he's only a couple years older than Homer Bailey. SD's interest in Dunn is well documented, as is BOS interest in Linebrink. Lester would provide the Reds with a much needed young lefty in the rotation to go along with Harang, Arroyo, Bailey and Belisle.

2) Dunn to CHW for John Danks

The White Sox are another team that has expressed interest in Dunn, although it may be real tough to pry Danks away from them. Danks would be
valuable to the Reds for all the same reasons Lester would, although I fear he would be harder to pry away due to the Sox lack of pitching depth, but more importantly because the Sox are falling out of contention, they're not as desperate to give away a young pitcher.

3) Dunn (and Stubbs/Cueto) to TEX for Mark Texeira

This deal has several caveats to it, most notably Teixeira would have to agree to sign a deal that would keep him in Cincy for at least the next four years. I believe he is arb-eligible for the next two years and then a FA after that, and has previously expressed desire to play for his hometown Orioles. However if he could be a Red for less than $60 MM over the next four years, I would pull the trigger, as a switch hitting Teixeira entering his prime is the exact thunder the Reds need in the middle of the lineup. Votto then moves to LF. Also Dunn might be more amenable to resigning with his local Texas Rangers, and that would up his value there.

4) Dunn, Conine and Lohse to ATL for Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Rafael Soriano

I highly doubt the Braves would give up Soriano, but it would be worth a shot. They need a RH-hitting 1B to platoon with Scott Thorman, and could use another SP for the stretch run. An OF of Dunn, A.Jones, and Francouer would be pretty formidable, and with Jones likely to leave after the year via FA they need to replace his power. Salty has little future with the organization because of Brian McCann. Soriano would team with Bray and the other young bullpen prospects to anchor our ailing bullpen for years to come. That said, I doubt the Braves would move him, especially with Mike Gonzalez gone for the year.

5) Dunn and Hatteberg to DET for Andrew Miller

Again, unlikely the Tigers would give Miller away, but with Bonderman, Verlander, et. al, starting pitching is their strength. Dunn would provide them with some much needed power, where Hatteberg could provide production at 1B (since Sean Casey is apparently offering none). Miller is a major league ready LHP, and to team him with Bailey for years to come would just plain be sick.

KronoRed
06-06-2007, 05:01 PM
I can't believe a trade with Adam Dunn's name in it is going to work out well for the Reds. I just can't.:bang:

Hey..we will get to see Norris Hopper everyday, that right there is good for 10 wins :evil:

BRM
06-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Hey..we will get to see Norris Hopper everyday, that right there is good for 10 wins :evil:

Hopper playing everyday makes the Brenneman's very happy.