PDA

View Full Version : Why no Hamilton today?

Matt700wlw
06-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Beautiful day out here in the mountains, but Josh Hamilton isn't seeing it. Hamilton is completing his assignment in Durham today. He'll join the team in St. Louis.

Wayne Krivsky said he didn't think it was best for Hamilton to fly out here for one game. His first coupel of games back Hamilton told Krivsky his legs weren't quite under him yet.

"It didn’t seem like the wise and prudent thing to do to go through all that travel for one game. If he’d been eligible for Friday that would be a different," Krivsky said. "Based on everything he went through physically, it didn’t make sense to do it for one game. I'm sure I'll get criticized for that, but that goes with the territory -- have a little wider lens than one game, you’ve got to put it all together and it’s the smart thing to do."

-Trent

TeamBoone
06-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Chris and Thom had a lengthy conversation about this during last night's game... both definitely didn't agree with holding him back until Tuesday.

Thom said he actually asked either JN or WK why and the reply was "That's our decision".

RedFanAlways1966
06-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Wayne Krivsky said he didn't think it was best for Hamilton to fly out here for one game.

"It didnít seem like the wise and prudent thing to do to go through all that travel for one game. If heíd been eligible for Friday that would be a different," Krivsky said. "Based on everything he went through physically, it didnít make sense to do it for one game. I'm sure I'll get criticized for that, but that goes with the territory -- have a little wider lens than one game, youíve got to put it all together and itís the smart thing to do."

What?!? Yep, sitting on an airplane and walking through an airport is so physically exerting. Please. And is one game of baseball that demanding (if your name is not Ryan Freel)? Especially with a day off on Monday.

Hasn't Josh been playing for Louisville? Is AAA baseball played at a lower physical level than MLB? I don't get it and do not buy the excuse given.

icehole3
06-03-2007, 02:07 PM
There will be plenty of games left for Josh, I like the cautious approach, baseball is such a grind, this kid has far and away exceeded all expectations...do we need to rush him around the country. His development wont go backwards if he isnt batting against the Rockies. What we really need is our right handed batters to get hot like David Ross.

Matt700wlw
06-03-2007, 02:10 PM
There will be plenty of games left for Josh, I like the cautious approach, baseball is such a grind, this kid has far and away exceeded all expectations...do we need to rush him around the country. His development wont go backwards if he isnt batting against the Rockies. What we really need is our right handed batters to get hot like David Ross.

I could just see an outfield of Dunn, Hopper, and Wise today, seeing as Griffey needs a day off...

I'd rather have Dunn, Hamilton, and Hopper if that were the case.

BCubb2003
06-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Maybe his flights need to be approved by the CDC.

TeamBoone
06-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Does someone have to go down when Hamilton is activated or is there an empty slot on the 40-man roster?

Matt700wlw
06-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Does someone have to go down when Hamilton is activated or is there an empty slot on the 40-man roster?

Hamilton should already be on the 40 man, so somebody would have to go....which I assume would be DeWayne Wise

RedFanAlways1966
06-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Maybe his flights need to be approved by the CDC.

Yeah, ask Andrew Speaker...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42997000/jpg/_42997645_speaker_ap_203body.jpg

KronoRed
06-03-2007, 02:18 PM
I really don't blame them for not flying him out to Denver for one game, not like the Reds are just over in Pittsburgh

icehole3
06-03-2007, 02:18 PM

pretty sure Wise is keeping Josh's seat warm, he's gonedy after today. Matt does it really matter who's playing today Lopez is facing the Reds for the first time and you know how we do against first timers...look for a sluggish offense from Cincy today, we'll need a Belisle shutout today.

Matt700wlw
06-03-2007, 02:19 PM
pretty sure Wise is keeping Josh's seat warm, he's gonedy after today. Matt does it really matter who's playing today Lopez is facing the Reds for the first time and you know how we do against first timers...look for a sluggish offense from Cincy today, we'll need a Belisle shutout today.

Probably not, but something about Josh and Coors field seems to go well together :)

icehole3
06-03-2007, 02:23 PM
I agree if he was with the team, but isnt he from Carolina??? Let the kid wake up with his family one more day...I bet his dad loves eating breakfast with his son this morning.

RedFanAlways1966
06-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Even if Hamilton does not start today, who ya want to PH off the bench... Hamilton or Wise? That in itself is enough reason to fly him into Denver. That one AB could be the difference between winning and losing. We have seen it before. Odds are it will not come down to just one AB, but any chance of that happening is good enough reason to have Josh there. Highly unlikely that the flight and bench warming in the chance of needing that crucial AB will strain Josh.

Matt700wlw
06-03-2007, 02:24 PM
I was right....Griffey gets a day off today..

So does Phillips.....which makes absolutely no sense to me -- he had a day off earlier in the week, and they're off tomorrow

KronoRed
06-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Sunday special on the road lineup :D

icehole3
06-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Even if Hamilton does not start today, who ya want to PH off the bench... Hamilton or Wise? That in itself is enough reason to fly him into Denver. That one AB could be the difference between winning and losing. We have seen it before. Odds are it will not come down to just one AB, but any chance of that happening is good enough reason to have Josh there. Highly unlikely that the flight and bench warming in the chance of needing that crucial AB will strain Josh.

remember theyre facing Lopez for the first time and he's looks to be back in 2004-5 form people...

membengal
06-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Gosh Matt, I hope Castro is getting some more at-bats. That would be swell!

LINEDRIVER
06-03-2007, 02:31 PM
In my estimation, 'our decision' has more to do with the cost of the airfare of Josh and Johnny flying from Durham, North Carolina to Denver, Colorado.

Perhaps Kriv needs to tighten up his 'wider lens' approach and get down to the business of winning as many games as possible. For instance, apparently I've been looking thru a wider lens while waiting for Stanton to pitch effectively and for Conine to actually produce something similar to a clean-up hitter's production.

westofyou
06-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Much to do about nothing.

A. The Flight probably involved a plane change
B. No Flight is a sure thing
C. After the long flight to the Mountains running around in that elevation is hard, don't believe me if you don't want to, but I've done it a bunch and it takes some acclimation.

Matt700wlw
06-03-2007, 02:34 PM
According to Trent, Griffey is playing....according to Jerry's pregame show, Griffey is sitting...

Somebody is wrong.

westofyou
06-03-2007, 02:37 PM
So does Phillips.....which makes absolutely no sense to me -- he had a day off earlier in the week, and they're off tomorrow

He could have an injury, the reason guys get Sunday off (like Griffey gimpy legs) and perhaps Phillips is that they don't play until Tuesday, sometimes 2 days in a row is a great recharge, especially in the stretch of games and massive road trips that the Red are in the midst of participating in.

LINEDRIVER
06-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Wise, Castro and Moeller batting 6th, 7th and 8th??? LOL

You might think it was mid-September and we were 20 games out.

icehole3
06-03-2007, 02:48 PM
plus its a night then day game, I go by what the club is doing because they have the trainers, they have the experience in getting these guys thru a grueling 6 month torture. This isnt fantasy baseball. The trainers are probably telling Narron...look you cant run these dudes into the ground its only early June, there's 4 more months of grilling season left.

KronoRed
06-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Wise, Castro and Moeller batting 6th, 7th and 8th??? LOL

You might think it was mid-September and we were 20 games out.

4 auto outs in a row..now that is a lineup.

KronoRed
06-03-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm not a fan of Narron or Krivsky but really there is nothing here to get mad at them about, why bring a kid out west for one whopping game and then head back east..where the kid already is.

It's one game for a bad team.

red-in-la
06-03-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm not a fan of Narron or Krivsky but really there is nothing here to get mad at them about, why bring a kid out west for one whopping game and then head back east..where the kid already is.

Maybe because winning is attitude?

You either believe in trying your best every single minute or you don't. It's only for one game sounds like a loser to me....just MHO.

And lest we forget, I am sitting "out-west" and Denver is only about half way. It all sounds like whining to me. If you asked Hamilton, I bet he would have said he would walk to play in this ONE GAME.

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

Stormy
06-03-2007, 03:36 PM

Agreed. They've already gone 15 days without his bat, and erred on the side of extreme caution. Even though it would seem S.O.P. for most teams to fly him out for today's game (especially knowing that it's an off-day for Dunn and Phillips, followed by another teamwide day off), at this point they might as well let him rejoin the team a few miles down the road in St. Louis.

I can still understand why many question the inconsistency of this move, especially when confronted with the constant mixed signals from the F.O. of 'win now at all costs' vs. a very laissez faire approach to so many roster related issues. A pretty incomprehensible F.O., despite this not being a major issue.

westofyou
06-03-2007, 03:40 PM
And lest we forget, I am sitting "out-west" and Denver is only about half way. And 5000 feet higher then where you sit too.

Stormy
06-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Maybe because winning is attitude?

You either believe in trying your best every single minute or you don't. It's only for one game sounds like a loser to me....just MHO.

I completely agree with this, even though this particular circumstance with Hamilton isn't as high on my radar as some. It certainly sends a bad message to both team and fanbase, and one that is constantly contradicted by other simultaneous moves being made. Krivsky and Narron have done little to change the 'culture of losing' that is pervasive amongst this current bunch, and I'd just as soon that the 'future' talent of this team not get too familiar with it.

Stormy
06-03-2007, 03:46 PM
And 5000 feet higher then where you sit too.

It's true that it's a grind of a transition to the higher elevation - that it's on short notice - and that there is a quick turnaround time. By the same token, that's the very definition of the life of a baseball player shuttling between the leagues.

The team is apparently shorthanded, has already weathered a week that featured no off days, and has a recuperative day off tomorrow. This is one of those decisions that could go either way, and where both sides have merit. Better to assure Hamilton a smoother transition back to the team, or to give an impotent offense (and a team which wins about 1 series per month) which is already sitting Dunn and Phillips today, another desperately needed bat?

SandyD
06-03-2007, 04:05 PM
The transition goes both ways.

I remember a Zephyrs game (New Orleans) after the team had returned from Colorado Springs ... the entire team looked whipped. Hands on thighs, bent over, panting after routine plays. The next day they were fine.

In other words, I can fully understand why they might not want to fly him from hot and humid Carolina to cooler and drier, high altitude Denver, then back to hot and humid midwest after coming off the DL for an illness that had to sap his strength to begin with.

TeamBoone
06-03-2007, 04:13 PM
They said on the pregame that it was a medical decision not to have Hamilton fly to Colorado. They thought the extra two days off would do more good than harm.

Griffey was supposed to have the day off. He was supposed to have a day off earlier in the week but ended up playing (can't remember the reason, but there was one). Did someone get ejected or something?

Adam Dunn has today off because he's sick. Evidently, he was sick yesterday too but played anyway. Today he's even more sick and basically unable to play.

KronoRed
06-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Griffey was supposed to have the day off. He was supposed to have a day off earlier in the week but ended up playing (can't remember the reason, but there was one). Did someone get ejected or something?

That was when Freel got hurt

Matt700wlw
06-03-2007, 04:17 PM
They said on the pregame that it was a medical decision not to have Hamilton fly to Colorado. They thought the extra two days off would do more good than harm.

If it's medical reasons he can't fly to Denver, should he even be playing at all?

TeamBoone
06-03-2007, 04:19 PM
If it's medical reasons he can't fly to Denver, should he even be playing at all?

Please, don't shoot the messenger... just passing on what Thom/Chris said.

Matt700wlw
06-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Please, don't shoot the messenger... just passing on what Thom/Chris said.

I'm questioning everything today :)

redsmetz
06-03-2007, 04:46 PM

It all depends on what you mean by "medical reasons" - I think they're wisely deciding that it would be better for him not to make a long trip to Denver for one game, then fly out to St. Louis, etc. They're being prudent and I can't fault them for that.

Sea Ray
06-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Adam Dunn has today off because he's sick. Evidently, he was sick yesterday too but played anyway. Today he's even more sick and basically unable to play.

If Adam Dunn is unable to play then all the more reason Josh should be there. This is one weak lineup today and if Dunn is truly out, it's one weak bench as well

TeamBoone
06-03-2007, 05:21 PM
If Adam Dunn is unable to play then all the more reason Josh should be there. This is one weak lineup today and if Dunn is truly out, it's one weak bench as well

I doubt they knew before today that he was unable to play.

I don't know if he's available to PH; they didn't mention that.

The_jbh
06-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Honestly I don't see what the big deal is here... typically you don't bring up people mid-series anyways. Josh is at home in NC for two extra days where he can spend sometime with his family and get two days off. The flight from Durham to Colorado is longer than the flight to St Louis. It's a day game so he really wouldn't have had time to get acclimated to the change in elevation... the guys is coming off the DL after having some stomach problems 2 extra days to get healthy can't hurt (I'm aware hes been mashing in AAA but rest is never a bad thing)

Everyone else seems to forget that Hamilton hasn't played a full season of baseball in 4 years. I want him to be strong in august and september and the only way thats going to happen is if he gets time off... this was a pefect opportunity to give him that chance to rest... especially prior to going into a series against a divison rival...

I understand we should be trying to win every game but I don't think (we are conceding a game w/o hamilton but our offense isnt as strong) but in reality it was more plausible to wait until St Louis

Marc D
06-03-2007, 05:56 PM
He better keep that freaking wide lense approach when the trade deadline rolls around.

The_jbh
06-03-2007, 05:57 PM
doesnt look like the offense is missing Josh today... 8 runs through 6

KronoRed
06-03-2007, 07:42 PM
doesnt look like the offense is missing Josh today... 8 runs through 6

Can Josh pitch? :evil: