PDA

View Full Version : Ex Red Wagner to have shoulder surgery

cumberlandreds
06-05-2007, 07:11 AM
May be the end of the road for former Red, Ryan Wagner. He's going to shoulder surgery for a rotator cuff injury.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=398&sid=1157947

RedFanAlways1966
06-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Wonder if JimBo will file a grievance against the REDS?!? ;)

I hope Ryan has a speedy recovery and bounces back.

MrCinatit
06-05-2007, 08:03 AM
Not a good trade for relievers all around.

Sea Ray
06-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Seeing his mechanics as a rookie I doubt any of us are surprised. Looking back now who in their right mind would have scouted this kid and said "spend a 1st round pick on him"? Makes you wonder...

Ravenlord
06-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Seeing his mechanics as a rookie I doubt any of us are surprised. Looking back now who in their right mind would have scouted this kid and said "spend a 1st round pick on him"? Makes you wonder...

i agree. i think Hansen was who i thought the Reds should have taken in the 1st that year.

oneupper
06-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Not a good trade for relievers all around.

nm

cumberlandreds
06-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I know I learned from this that you should never take a reliever with your first pick. IMO, it's just plain dumb.

Sea Ray
06-05-2007, 11:40 AM
I know I learned from this that you should never take a reliever with your first pick. IMO, it's just plain dumb.

I think that's not a bad general rule but Brandon Marrow looks pretty good for Seattle

pedro
06-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Darryl Thompson and Brendan Harris are the only two players from that trade doing jack this year. Kearns and Lopez are having horrible years so far.

Pretty freaking sad all around.

SteelSD
06-05-2007, 12:23 PM

Interestingly enough, Bill Bray was selected 14th overall in the 2004 Draft- one slot lower than where Wagner was nabbed in 2003. Current Washington Closer Chad Cordero (20th overall) was drafted 7 slots behind Wagner in 2003.

Just found that kind of weird.

Eric_Davis
06-05-2007, 02:17 PM
I know I'm known as one who has always supported the trade, and I still do 100% at the very least addition by subtraction. So, I thought it only right that I say here what some of the positives are that have happended for Kearns and Lopez.

Lopez is now playing 2nd Base as much as SS this year because the Nationals couldn't let him continue to butcher the SS position for them. Where he would rank as the worst among 16 Starting SS's in the NL defensively when looking at all of the defensive statistics you can look at, he's performed remarkably well at 2B, where he has yet to commit an error, and his Range Factor and Zone Rating would place him in the middle of the pack among starting 2nd Basemen. Unfortunately, as a 2nd Baseman, his OPS is only .620. He's nowhere in Brandon Phillips company defensively or offensively as a 2nd Baseman, but he's done well defensively so far, and his offense should turn around.

Kearns, though 9th in OPS among starting Right Fielders in the NL, is 5th among RF's in Total Bases, an area he's always had trouble in because of his inability to stay healthy. So, it's nice to know that he can be counted on everyday and with his defense, that's important. He's been stellar defensively among starting Right Fielders in the NL where he's 1st in Fdg % (1 error), 2nd in Range Factor, and 6th in Zone Rating, 3rd in Assists, and 2nd in Putouts.

pedro
06-05-2007, 02:23 PM
I know I'm known as one who has always supported the trade, and I still do 100% at the very least addition by subtraction. So, I thought it only right that I say here what some of the positives are that have happended for Kearns and Lopez.

Lopez is now playing 2nd Base as much as SS this year because the Nationals couldn't let him continue to butcher the SS position for them. Where he would rank as the worst among 16 Starting SS's in the NL defensively when looking at all of the defensive statistics you can look at, he's performed remarkably well at 2B, where he has yet to commit an error, and his Range Factor and Zone Rating would place him in the middle of the pack among starting 2nd Basemen. Unfortunately, as a 2nd Baseman, his OPS is only .620. He's nowhere in Brandon Phillips company defensively or offensively as a 2nd Baseman, but he's done well defensively so far, and his offense should turn around.

Kearns, though 9th in OPS among starting Right Fielders in the NL, is 5th among RF's in Total Bases, an area he's always had trouble in because of his inability to stay healthy. So, it's nice to know that he can be counted on everyday and with his defense, that's important. He's been stellar defensively among starting Right Fielders in the NL where he's 1st in Fdg % (1 error), 2nd in Range Factor, and 6th in Zone Rating, 3rd in Assists, and 2nd in Putouts.

The really troubling thing I see when looking at Kearns stats this year is his complete inability to hit RH pitching (.230/.287/.345/.632). That really does not bode well for his future as a full time player. I like Austin and do appreciate his defense and relative value as a RF but if he can't hit RHP even semi-consistently he'll find himself as a platoon player sooner or later.

Matt700wlw
06-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Shock....a Bowden regimed pitcher needs shoulder surgery.

Caveat Emperor
06-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Darryl Thompson and Brendan Harris are the only two players from that trade doing jack this year. Kearns and Lopez are having horrible years so far.

Pretty freaking sad all around.

Who'd have ever guessed that, a year later, "The Trade" would be viewed as a garbage in-garbage out deal.

I'm still holding out a vague hope that Bill Bray will redeem things somehow.

jmcclain19
06-06-2007, 12:12 AM
Interestingly enough, Bill Bray was selected 14th overall in the 2004 Draft- one slot lower than where Wagner was nabbed in 2003. Current Washington Closer Chad Cordero (20th overall) was drafted 7 slots behind Wagner in 2003.

And David Aardsma was picked two behind Cordero and he's been on the Wagner disappointment train for a while now.

For curiosities sake - Lets see - in the last four drafts here are the relievers who've gone in the 1st round

Ryan Wagner
Chad Cordero
David Aardsma
Bill Bray
Taylor Tankersley
Huston Street
Craig Hasen
Joey Devine
Brooks Brown
Chris Perez

Might have missed one or two in there, but that's a pretty respectable list as far as getting guys to the majors.