PDA

View Full Version : Why has McBeth not pitched?

Reds1
06-05-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm just curious what you all think! Why has he not pitched since he's been up with the big team. No one else is doing the job. You say you left Hamilton in AAA while in Colorado and you can't get in a game every pen guy runs. Now when we were up 8-2 why could he not pitch an inning. In stead we go with the same guys. Heck, stick Burton in. They are going to kill Weathers and we'll have no decent pen guy. Any thoughts?

Matt700wlw
06-05-2007, 07:02 PM
He was warming up the other day (in extras) but, like a broken record, why they keep running Stanton out there in critical situations is beyond all of us.

icehole3
06-05-2007, 07:03 PM
It was his first game, its called allowing a rookie to get acclimated for the first day. No need to push the panic button, he will get his shot dont worry.

KronoRed
06-05-2007, 07:04 PM
They want Stanton to get hot so they can trade him, trouble is that would take a really bad GM, and Washington doesn't need him ;)

Reds1
06-06-2007, 12:20 AM
It wasn't his 1st game. He was here like 2-3 other games and never pitched. This is actually his 2nd time with the Reds and we've never seen him.

Reds1
06-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Again tonight - Burton and everyone else pitched. I heard he was warming up, but everyone else who has proven to suck gets the ball 1st. Burton needs to never pitch in a critical situation. I'm very upset right now as a huge Reds fan as I know many of you are. The hitting was terrible tonight. No key hits. Not sure what you do. You don't bench Griffey with a Righty on the mound. I don't get it.

RANDY IN INDY
06-06-2007, 07:56 AM
I want to see McBeth pitch, particularly after talking to his parents the other night at the Knights game. He seems like a real good kid.

This team has had a propensity for not hitting with RISP over the last several years. Continues like a broken record.

Reds1
06-06-2007, 09:17 AM
2-18. OUCH. Seems like we had a runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs several times. I keep telling myself this team isn't as bad as they play, but as time goes on I'm not sure. Bad loss

Kc61
06-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Again tonight - Burton and everyone else pitched. I heard he was warming up, but everyone else who has proven to suck gets the ball 1st. Burton needs to never pitch in a critical situation. I'm very upset right now as a huge Reds fan as I know many of you are. The hitting was terrible tonight. No key hits. Not sure what you do. You don't bench Griffey with a Righty on the mound. I don't get it.

Nobody is more disgusted than me, but let's step back a minute and try to be fair to Narron.

Folks have been all over him to use his young relievers in critical spots. Last night he used Burton over McBeth in the ninth. His thinking was obviously that Burton has been in major league games; McBeth hasn't. So use the guy with a little experience there; let McBeth get started in a less pressured spot.

In recent days Narron has used Burton, Cout, and Salmon all in pressure spots. He will eventually use McBeth and gradually get him in pressured spots. The failure rate for all these guys pitching the ninth inning is likely to be high at first. And if you think McBeth will not be susceptible to some growing pains -- and cause all of us some aggravation -- that's probably incorrect.

The funny part is that the bullpen is so weak people are upset that Narron didn't use a guy who has never pitched in the big leagues. Really, every choice Jerry makes at this point is a gamble.

Sea Ray
06-06-2007, 11:26 AM
The funny part is that the bullpen is so weak people are upset that Narron didn't use a guy who has never pitched in the big leagues. Really, every choice Jerry makes at this point is a gamble.

I agree with you. I don't blame Narron as much as many around here do but McBeth has been in the big leagues for quite a few games now covering two stints. Why has he not gotten into any of them? Narron can't afford to wait for the perfect spot and baby these rookies. It'll have to be baptism by fire from here on out. It's not doing McBeth any good to sit that long and get rusty. Right now it's all about what's best for the players 'cause winning went down the river a long time ago.

Heath
06-06-2007, 12:07 PM
I'd rather send Burton, Coutlangus, McBeth, Coffey, Salmon, et. al. out there rather than the retreads.

Let's face it, So Taguchi has the Reds number period. I thought Coutlangus did a good job battling him until the final pitch.

BRM
06-06-2007, 12:10 PM
I'd rather send Burton, Coutlangus, McBeth, Coffey, Salmon, et. al. out there rather than the retreads.

This season is lost. It's high time to find out which of these youngsters belongs in the bullpen next year and beyond. The Reds would be wise to use the rest of the season evaluating some of the young arms.

WVRedsFan
06-06-2007, 12:44 PM

I don't think you're really gambling using Stanton or the rest of the known quantities. You know what's going to happen 90% of the time. Why not try something else?

redsmetz
06-06-2007, 12:51 PM
It wasn't his 1st game. He was here like 2-3 other games and never pitched. This is actually his 2nd time with the Reds and we've never seen him.

His first time up with the club, he immediately when on bereavement leave when his grandpa died. When he came back, they wanted him to get back in the swing of things down in Louisville. The only plus there was that his grandfather knew he'd made the big leagues before he died.

I agree with the others that it didn't hurt for him to get acclimated before throwing him out there. I also noted in my mind, the irony that Narron's finally using the young guys in tight situations - we just have to live through the growing pains, folks, IMHO.

Reds1
06-06-2007, 01:12 PM
His first time up with the club, he immediately when on bereavement leave when his grandpa died. When he came back, they wanted him to get back in the swing of things down in Louisville. The only plus there was that his grandfather knew he'd made the big leagues before he died.

I agree with the others that it didn't hurt for him to get acclimated before throwing him out there. I also noted in my mind, the irony that Narron's finally using the young guys in tight situations - we just have to live through the growing pains, folks, IMHO.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought he had a game or two that he didn't pitch. That being said he could have came in the Colordo game with an 8-2 lead. That was safe right! :) At this point it's all a crap shoot. I'm just hopeful he can pitch a little. The good news last night is Magic had a perfect 8th inning. It was really the hitting last night. Weathers got him a days rest too! :) :bang:

RedsManRick
06-06-2007, 01:24 PM
If you had such fireman as Mike Stanton and Gary Majewski for your high leverage situations, would you use some unproven guy? These guys are veterans who know how to play the game!

KronoRed
06-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Knowing how to play the game is useless unless you know how to play it well.

Lets see some unknowns.

LINEDRIVER
06-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Perhaps the trade for Denorfia calls for a contingency that if McBeth appears in 'X' amount of games before the All-Star break, for instance, then Oakland will get an additional 'X' amount of dollars or a player from a pre-determined list.

I'm not all about conspiracy theories, but McBeth sitting in the pen doesnt make alot of sense considering just about everybody else is like throwing gasoline on a fire.

You might not want the guy in a high pressure situation, but how come he couldn't of thrown an inning when the Reds were ahead 8-2 the other day?

Sea Ray
06-06-2007, 05:01 PM
I also noted in my mind, the irony that Narron's finally using the young guys in tight situations - we just have to live through the growing pains, folks, IMHO.

You raise a great point. As fans we can live with the growing pains of seeing young players choke but we hate seeing this team lose due to the play of folks like Conine, Hatteberg, Stanton, Castro and Moeller. Kriv gets a pass with me until the trading deadline. If he hasn't had a fire sale by then...

Danny Serafini
06-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Perhaps the trade for Denorfia calls for a contingency that if McBeth appears in 'X' amount of games before the All-Star break, for instance, then Oakland will get an additional 'X' amount of dollars or a player from a pre-determined list.

Actually, Oakland still owes a player, and they sent cash along in the deal. The cash part always struck me as odd, not that the Reds for go for it, just considering who was involved in the deal.

Matt700wlw
06-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Maybe the trade really didn't happen....we all imagined it, and Marcus McBeth is not a Cincinnati Red...

Redsland
06-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Maybe the trade really didn't happen....we all imagined it, and Marcus McBeth is not a Cincinnati Red...
Majewski next!

Majewski next!

Eric_Davis
06-06-2007, 05:43 PM
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes.
I sense the lead will go away,
If I can't coach and guys can't play.
To get McBeth to reach the mound,
The season has to turn around.
For when the hurlyburly's done,
When the battle's lost and won,
McBeth must strive to keep his will,
If here or 'signed to Louisville.

BRM
06-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Majewski next!

Majewski next!

Majewski is a clutch late inning reliever. He's invaluable.

KronoRed
06-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Majewski next!

Majewski next!

Roberto Kelly? :D

CrackerJack
06-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Knowing how to play the game is useless unless you know how to play it well.

Lets see some unknowns.

Look Mr. Krono, Mr. Narron is a baseball guy, you are obviously not.

If these guys don't know how to play the game the right way, have no presence on the mound, or can't be professional hitters or pitchers, then they have no business playing in big league games, period. Nothing else matters.

RedsManRick
06-06-2007, 06:14 PM
The great thing about growing pains is at the end, you're grown. Right now Narron is choosing aches and pains over growing pains.

Roy Tucker
06-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Look Mr. Krono, Mr. Narron is a baseball guy, you are obviously not.

If these guys don't know how to play the game the right way, have no presence on the mound, or can't be professional hitters or pitchers, then they have no business playing in big league games, period. Nothing else matters.

Are you talking to Krono or Krono's dad?

:devil: