PDA

View Full Version : Tony LaRussa Says Harang s/b Suspended

RedFanAlways1966
06-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Manager Tony La Russa said Harang should be suspended for letting the pitch (that hit Gary Benett in the head) get away. The team described the injury as a contusion to the back of the skull and La Russa said he had not been updated on Bennett's status.

"There isn't anything in baseball that I object to more," La Russa said. "Whether we hit them or they hit them, I've said it for almost as long as I've been managing: I'd suspend a guy two weeks to start with.

"A month the next time and then a season, if a major league pitcher doesn't have better command than that."

Have at it, REDS fans.

I guess Tony forgot that this is a game played by human beings. They are some of the best players in the world, but they are not perfect like Tony. Tony forgets that everyone cannot be like him.

GAC
06-06-2007, 08:55 AM
It wasn't intentional. Anyone who was watching, and with half a brain, could see that (which leaves LaRussa out).

RedsBaron
06-06-2007, 08:55 AM
LaRussa is full of it. He himself has made statements advocating throwing at opposing hitters, although of course "in retaliation", without saying that his pitchers should be suspended for two weeks to start with.

Red in Chicago
06-06-2007, 08:56 AM
I didn't get the impression that Harang was head hunting on that pitch. He doesn't even have that reputation. Maybe the pitch just got away from him Tony.

edabbs44
06-06-2007, 08:59 AM
From the guy who was blind to the steroid abuse in his own clubhouse. I have respect for LaRussa as a manager, but he lost a lot of cred with me.

Falls City Beer
06-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Two words: drunk driver.

Always Red
06-06-2007, 09:28 AM
From the guy who was blind to the steroid abuse in his own clubhouse. I have respect for LaRussa as a manager, but he lost a lot of cred with me.

Which is exactly why I have no respect for LaRussa as a manager anymore.

If Harang were indeed throwing at him, he wouldn't have come halfway in from the mound, immediately after the pitch, to see how he was doing.

membengal
06-06-2007, 09:35 AM
That's got to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

Frankly, I hope the first chance the Reds get tonite, they drill a Cardinal square in the small of the back to demonstate to LaRussa the difference between intentional and the pitch that got away from Harang.

LaRussa's a giant donkey of the first order. Always has been. Always will be.

smith288
06-06-2007, 09:40 AM
I think a manager should be suspended at least two year minimum if they are drunk drivers.

Professionals should have better judgement than that...

Heath
06-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Mr. LaRussa has more worries than casting stones at other players.

Ludicrous.

MWM
06-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Two words: drunk driver.

That was exactly what I was thinking. He has no right EVER to talk about someone else getting suspended when he himself should have been suspended for a long time or even fired.

chicoruiz
06-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Well, let's see...Wainwright has hit four guys this season, Tyler Johnson and Brad Thompson three, and several others two. So we wouldn't have seen too much of those guys this season, would we now, Tony?

The real problem would be that once a guy has been suspended once, the temptation would be strong for another batter from a division foe to "take one for the team" and thereby remove that pitcher from the pennant race for a significant portion of the season.

MrCinatit
06-06-2007, 10:13 AM
From my understanding of the statement, LaRussa knows it was not intentional - however, he is saying Harang should be suspended for two weeks anyhow for having lousy control - and that he feels the same about his own pitchers (I could be reading into that wrong).
If so, it is still a very unintelligent statement. Hey, sometimes a pitch will get away. And it was very obvious that one got away from Aaron.

Besides, a line drive up the middle is more dangerous. Do we suspend batters who almost hit pitcher with those for having lousy bat control? Or suspend batters who let the bat slip out of their hands?

CrackerJack
06-06-2007, 10:15 AM
That was exactly what I was thinking. He has no right EVER to talk about someone else getting suspended when he himself should have been suspended for a long time or even fired.

Yeah at least his players wear helmets. People Tony may have crashed into and killed during his irresponsible drunken stupor sure don't.

Aside from that, it might be different if Harang were a habitual wild pitcher with control issues - he's not and never has been as far as I know.

Marc D
06-06-2007, 10:52 AM
"There isn't anything in baseball that I object to more," La Russa said. "Whether we hit them or they hit them, I've said it for almost as long as I've been managing: I'd suspend a guy two weeks to start with.

"A month the next time and then a season, if a major league pitcher doesn't have better command than that."

Thats fine for the white players or the hispanics but you can't control a black player like that.

-GS

westofyou
06-06-2007, 10:56 AM
I've spent my whole adult life watching Tony posture over pitches that are up and in, from both sides of the issue, he's always a real ass on both sides of the fence, he's never wrong in Tony Land.

HotCorner
06-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Hey Tony! Go have a drink.

Chip R
06-06-2007, 10:59 AM
I've spent my whole adult life watching Tony posture over pitches that are up and in, from both sides of the issue, he's always a real ass on both sides of the fence, he's never wrong in Tony Land.

Yep. He's always in an uproar when one of his guys get hit but is much more subdued when one of the other team's players get hit. Problem is, I'm sure he believes what he says 100%.

PuffyPig
06-06-2007, 11:10 AM
I more forgiving of Tony than you guys are.

I think the quote "just got away from him".......it wasn't intentional.

Tony says some pretty stupid things, but this theory belongs in the Stupid Hall of Fame.

RedsBaron
06-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Thats fine for the white players or the hispanics but you can't control a black player like that.

-GS

:laugh:

RedsBaron
06-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Besides, a line drive up the middle is more dangerous. Do we suspend batters who almost hit pitcher with those for having lousy bat control? Or suspend batters who let the bat slip out of their hands?

Maybe we could get Pujols out of the Cards lineup that way.

Blimpie
06-06-2007, 12:51 PM

-GS:beerme:

TeamBoone
06-06-2007, 01:26 PM
What really ticks me off is people will only see/read Tony's ignorant comments and without being familiar with Harang, make biased judgements against him.

How Tony can be so ignorant about this is beyond me; he's been in the game for a long long time and has seen Harang on the mound for three plus years.

A disgusting thing... and even more disgusting is what it does undeservedly to Harang's reputation.

traderumor
06-06-2007, 01:40 PM
He is talking about command in the same game that his pitcher walked four guys in an inning , which should have been one more except for a gimme outside corner on Castro, and was literally the polar opposite of a pitcher like Harang. That is astounding.

BuckWoody
06-06-2007, 01:52 PM
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0322071larussa1.jpg
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us Tony; time for another bottle of wine.

As the great philosopher Mike Tyson once said, "That's just ludacrisp".

Big Klu
06-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Does anyone think that Ryan Franklin was throwing at Brandon Phillips? I thought he was after the first high-and-tight pitch, and I was sure of it after he hit him.

CTA513
06-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Suspend Johnson and Franklin for having bad control and hitting Dunn and Phillips.

Red Leader
06-06-2007, 02:06 PM

I lost respect for him as a manager at the same time. I lost respect for him as a person when the light turned green 3 times and he didn't go. This statement makes me want to put him on ignore, for life.

Eric_Davis
06-06-2007, 02:06 PM
LaRussa is full of it. He himself has made statements advocating throwing at opposing hitters, although of course "in retaliation", without saying that his pitchers should be suspended for two weeks to start with.

At least I know why Dunn and Phillips were hit yesterday. I thought it odd that two REDS were hit-by-pitch.

KronoRed
06-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Grow up Tony.

flyer85
06-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Tony forgets that everyone cannot be like him.... being drunk and asleep at the wheel.

RedsBaron
06-06-2007, 02:16 PM
By the way, there is along article on LaRussa in this week's Sports Illustrated. In the article, it is claimed that LaRussa's hero is Sparky Anderson.

pedro
06-06-2007, 02:21 PM

[mike tyson]
I have to take my hand off to Tony. He's the constumate professional.
[/mike tyson]

CTA513
06-06-2007, 02:28 PM
At least I know why Dunn and Phillips were hit yesterday. I thought it odd that two REDS were hit-by-pitch.

LaRussa talks about having better command of pitches, but 2 of his pitchers each hit a Reds player after Bennet was hit. They both either showed bad command or were intentionally trying to hit Reds players.

I wonder which one LaRussa will say it is.

The_jbh
06-06-2007, 02:30 PM
And LaRussa should have been suspended for longer than 2 weeks for getting a DUI... good example to the players when the manager can't even be responsible... one of the highest paid managers in the league too...

get a damn cab

LoganBuck
06-06-2007, 03:06 PM
After that Harang had an at bat where they busted him inside three times. He ducked the pitches but I thought it looked like retaliation.

indy_dave00
06-06-2007, 03:50 PM
LaRussa has a law degree , to me his logic here explains why he manages a baseball team and doesn't practice law ; nor obey it evidence by his drunk driving. With his lame summation of last nights hit batsmen he could get his own client an innocent man, convicted .

Marc D
06-06-2007, 04:05 PM

That was of course before he faded off into Boliva.

Matt700wlw
06-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Tony...please.

You and your boy, Mark McGuire just stay in your own little worlds, and out of ours.

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Tony LaRussa is an alcoholic drunken idiot. I look forward to the day he retires.

BCubb2003
06-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Just to be a troublemaker here, but if Tony LaRussa had ordered Josh Hancock to throw at Ryan Freel, who would have the moral high ground?

Always Red
06-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Just to be a troublemaker here, but if Tony LaRussa had ordered Josh Hancock to throw at Ryan Freel, who would have the moral high ground?

That's a damn fine question.

pedro
06-06-2007, 07:28 PM

Freel would. After all, he plays in Cincinnati.

Matt700wlw
06-06-2007, 07:42 PM

Intentionally for no reason would be stirring up trouble...

As retaliation, it'd be part of baseball...

westofyou
06-06-2007, 07:56 PM

Christy Mathewson?

Seriously, thanks for bringing that back to earth.... Tony is complaining about baseball and a baseball issue, let's leave the off the field issues aside and focus on the stuff in-between the lines.

That said, he's still full of baloney.

Always Red
06-06-2007, 10:32 PM
There's this for the Reds web site tonight:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070606&content_id=2009450&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

ST. LOUIS -- No harm intended.

On Tuesday, Reds starting pitcher Aaron Harang beaned Cardinals catcher Gary Bennett in the back of the helmet in the second inning. It forced Bennett out of the game and he was later diagnosed with a skull contusion.

"I'm upset at myself for that," Harang said Wednesday. "It's the first time I've hit somebody in the head. It's not a fun feeling to have."

"I've played against him in the past. There's no bad blood," Bennett said, who was not seriously injured. "The ball just got away from him."

The incident still prompted a strong reaction from Cardinals manager Tony La Russa, who didn't believe in no harm, no foul.

"There isn't anything in baseball that I object to more," La Russa said following Tuesday's game. "Whether we hit them or they hit them, I've said it for almost as long as I've been managing: I'd suspend a guy two weeks to start with. A month the next time and then a season, if a Major League pitcher doesn't have better command than that."

Harang, normally mild-mannered and soft-spoken, appeared stunned and a little annoyed Wednesday afternoon when he was relayed LaRussa's comments.

"Whatever. He can say whatever he wants," Harang said. "I'm not that type of person and he should know that. The guys on their team know that. Gary knows that because I called and talked to him. If I didn't care, I wouldn't have called over. That's not my personality to do that.

"He understood it wasn't intentional. I apologized for it. I was worried and wanted to make sure he was OK. There were no hard feelings."

Normally a control pitcher with just 28 hit batsmen in 848 2/3 innings over 141 career games, Harang said the pitch was a two-seam fastball that the right-hander meant to throw inside, but not that high and in. But Harang also said he was having command problems early in the game, which his high pitch count of 114 over seven innings backed up.

"I'm not the type of person that will throw at somebody's head and risk their career," said Harang, who received a no-decision in the Reds' 4-3 defeat. "There's no need for it."

La Russa's feelings hadn't changed when he talked with St. Louis reporters Wednesday.

"It's accidental because he didn't mean to hit him, but he meant to throw the ball up and in and that's a very dangerous thing," La Russa said. "I've probably said it 100 times in the 20 years I've managed, so it ain't new material, but if you're a big-league pitcher, you should be able to get the ball below the shoulder. If you don't, you should have a big consequence because that's a dangerous thing."

Reds manager Jerry Narron hadn't heard about La Russa's views but didn't fire any shots in return when told about them.

"Tony's been around the game a long time," Narron said. "It bothers me when someone on the other team gets hit on the head."

Sheesh, Jerry, can't you even back up your own players for something unintentional? He could have said exactly what he did, and then said after that it was totally an unfortuante accident. :dunno:

letsgojunior
06-07-2007, 12:48 AM

Fantastic

fargo55
06-07-2007, 01:39 AM
First it was a DUI (driving under the influence), now we appear to have CUI (commenting under the influence). What's next Tony?

Reds1
06-07-2007, 01:42 AM
Green means go Tony! No go to sleep! This actually pisses me off. Maybe because it's late and I"m tired. :)

TeamBoone
06-07-2007, 01:51 AM

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070606&content_id=2009450&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Sheesh, Jerry, can't you even back up your own players for something unintentional? He could have said exactly what he did, and then said after that it was totally an unfortuante accident. :dunno:

Who knows, maybe he did and the reporter chose not to print it. It happens all the time, and unfortunately we never know the difference.

But, if that IS all he said, then shame on Jerry Narron!

Blimpie
06-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Narron: "Tony has been around the game a long time"

Translation: "I do not have the stones to object to comments made by somebody who has even the slightest measure of job security"

westofyou
06-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Narron: "Tony has been around the game a long time"

Translation: "I do not have the stones to object to comments made by somebody who has even the slightest measure of job security"

Jerry Narron is as adapt at crafting quotes as any member of the Ellen James Society ever was.

registerthis
06-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Not a particularly supportive response from a supposed "clubhouse guy".

Why is the Reds' beat reporter sticking up for Harang more than his own manager?

Chip R
06-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Not a particularly supportive response from a supposed "clubhouse guy".

Why is the Reds' beat reporter sticking up for Harang more than his own manager?

Probably cause Narron knows he may need another (coaching) job someday and doesn't want to burn any bridges with any other managers who may have the power to give him a job.

RANDY IN INDY
06-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Everyone has an agenda.

Blimpie
06-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Jerry Narron is as adapt at crafting quotes as any member of the Ellen James Society ever was.I assume that you are referring to the tongueless band of women, and not the band sharing their name....

Although, both answers kinda make sense. ;)

westofyou
06-07-2007, 04:12 PM
I assume that you are referring to the tongueless band of women, and not the band sharing their name....

Although, both answers kinda make sense. ;)

The book creation, not the band.. though Cooper of the band is a great rock n roll performer.

Tony Cloninger
06-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Narron needs to quit being the "nice guy" here......I am sure he will find a job once he is fired....he is a "baseball guy" after all.

Blimpie
06-07-2007, 05:34 PM
The book creation, not the band.. though Cooper of the band is a great rock n roll performer.From down South, were they not?

westofyou
06-07-2007, 05:54 PM
From down South, were they not?

Yep, Cooper was Amy Ray's GF, Lesbian Power Rock.. I kid you not, very awesome.. ask Pedro, it was his town.

pedro
06-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Yep, Cooper was Amy Ray's GF, Lesbian Power Rock.. I kid you not, very awesome.. ask Pedro, it was his town.

Viva La Diva

My friend Melanie called them "Lez Zeppelin"

they were great.

pedro
06-07-2007, 06:07 PM

hey, looks like their "Greatest Hits" are on Rhapsody now....

pedro
06-07-2007, 06:11 PM
... ask Pedro, it was his town.

damn straight.

the 90's in the ATL rocked.

RedEye
06-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Has anyone really ever bought the whole "Tony LaRussa is a genius" thing? Sure, some of his teams have won in the past, but I've seriously never been impressed with his managerial skills. Don't get me wrong, he's not a Narron... but I hate how he gets so many props from the media for his opinions even when they are downright loony.

Chip R
06-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Has anyone really ever bought the whole "Tony LaRussa is a genius" thing? Sure, some of his teams have won in the past, but I've seriously never been impressed with his managerial skills. Don't get me wrong, he's not a Narron... but I hate how he gets so many props from the media for his opinions even when they are downright loony.

I don't think he's a genius any more than Sparky or Casey Stengel or John McGraw were, but I believe he is a great manager. He does say some dumb thing but all those guys I menioned said dumb things. Sparky hyped up young players to the point of being ridiculous. Casey Stengel said a lot of strange stuff and McGraw wasn't exactly the most pleasant guy on earth either. If the Reds needed a new manager, I would have no problems hiring someone from LaRussa's staff.

Matt700wlw
06-07-2007, 08:10 PM

And we wonder why the players don't respond to him...

RedEye
06-07-2007, 09:55 PM
I don't think he's a genius any more than Sparky or Casey Stengel or John McGraw were, but I believe he is a great manager. He does say some dumb thing but all those guys I menioned said dumb things. Sparky hyped up young players to the point of being ridiculous. Casey Stengel said a lot of strange stuff and McGraw wasn't exactly the most pleasant guy on earth either. If the Reds needed a new manager, I would have no problems hiring someone from LaRussa's staff.

I suppose you're right; good managers can still stay dumb things, and they do all the time (see Guillen, Ozzie).

I do think, however, that LaRussa's reputation is more built more on his intelligence than those other guys FWIW. In terms of their public images, none of those three were ever really lauded as great intellects. Sparky was "feisty", Stengel was "folksy" or "loveable" and McGraw was "tough." These may not be accurate characterizations, but I think that's how history tends to see these guys.

On the other hand, I've read quite a lot of articles about LaRussa as a great mind whose intellect extends beyond the game of baseball. While he is undoubtedly a good manager, I'm just think that reputation should has some holes poked in it once in awhile.

BTW, Anyone know if Tony's a member of MENSA?

Yachtzee
06-07-2007, 11:57 PM

He's more of an idiot savant, with the emphasis on idiot.

WVPacman
06-08-2007, 12:19 AM
Have at it, REDS fans.

I guess Tony forgot that this is a game played by human beings. They are some of the best players in the world, but they are not perfect like Tony. Tony forgets that everyone cannot be like him.

You have got to be kidding me?? when did he say that and to whom did he say it to. Why would Harang want to hit him in the head.Harang walked halfway to the home plate to check on the guy.I never did like Larussa that much as a manager and I probably never will.He acts like a bully,he loves going around trying to start trouble with other team BUT if you try to start trouble with him then he gets mad b/c he can't take the heat.