PDA

View Full Version : Who to send down?

BoCcc2832
06-07-2007, 10:15 AM
With Homer Bailey set to be activated tomorrow, someone is going to have to be sent down in order to create space for Bailey. Who do you send down? My vote is for Jared Burton (but as bucksfan2 mentions, he can't be sent down unless a trade is made since he is a Rule 5 guy...I still vote for making a trade to make Burton go to Louisville).

bucksfan2
06-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Can't send Burton down because the reds would lose him. I have seen Coffey fail too many times in the past year to send anyone else down. Bullpen has been bad enought and I would rather fail with potential and upside than with the known.

hebroncougar
06-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Doesn't matter who we want. It'll be Macbeth. Unless the trade with Oakland is completed in time to allow Burton to go down.

camisadelgolf
06-07-2007, 10:39 AM
They could DFA Victor Santos for all I care. This season's done, so might as well focus on the guys who have any kind of future with the team.

JLB5
06-07-2007, 12:01 PM
They could DFA Victor Santos for all I care. This season's done, so might as well focus on the guys who have any kind of future with the team.

I agree. Santos was a low risk situation and he shouldn't be in the future plans. Woudn't be a significant financial hit and they might get lucky and get a minor prospect for him. Make Burton the "mop up" guy for now.

eastkyred
06-07-2007, 12:11 PM

I agree with Santos. I would also try to make the deal for Burton, if its reasonable. If not, I would let him go back to Oakland. He seems to have pretty good stuff, but George and Chris keep talking about this "electric" stuff from Burton, and I haven't seen that yet. Don't get me wrong, I would keep him if I could, but from what I've seen, I like a few of the other young arms a little better at this point. If the deal for Burton is made, I would get Salmon back up here. I think he has been pretty impressive. He has really only had one bad inning against Pitt, the rest of the time they seem to have a hard time putting any good wood on the ball when Salmon is on the mound.

klw
06-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Sounds like McBeth. From Trent's blog

Jerry on McBeth: "We’re hoping to get him into a game that’s not a tie or one-run lead or whatever, but that may be where we’re headed. Hopefully he’ll get in a game, I’d love to see him pitch. With Homer coming up Friday, we’re definitely going to need a roster spot, too, so we’ll see what happens there."

Don't want to whine (well no I do but not much) but I started this exact thread without the poll two days ago and it was merged.

eastkyred
06-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Sounds like McBeth. From Trent's blog

Unfortunately, that's what I expected.

klw
06-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Though as a caveat, that quote was obviously before McBeth threw last night.

eastkyred
06-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Judging from other moves this season, I don't think Wayne even considers if one of the young guys pitches good. It's all about options. It'll be McBeth, but it shouldn't be.

mroby85
06-07-2007, 01:57 PM
can't we send all of them down, and try out a new group? lol j/k

reds44
06-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Majewski or Santos. Anybody but McBeth.

Dunner44
06-07-2007, 02:39 PM
can we just cut stanton?

scounts22
06-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Jerry on McBeth: "Were hoping to get him into a game thats not a tie or one-run lead or whatever, but that may be where were headed. Hopefully hell get in a game, Id love to see him pitch. With Homer coming up Friday, were definitely going to need a roster spot, too, so well see what happens there."

So this is why they should send down someone they already know sucks and give McBeth a chance. They could pick a name out of a hat at this point. The entire bullpen sucks. Heck. Send all of them down and just keep McBeth. :doh::)

aaronboonefan
06-07-2007, 04:54 PM
can we just cut stanton?

That's what I would like to see. For some reason, it doesn't seem to be an option. :rolleyes:

foltza
06-07-2007, 06:04 PM
shouldn't we be able to get SOMETHING in a trade for stanton? sure he hasn't pitched well, but bullpen arms are always high in demand. it doesn't seem like we should just cut him and be forced to pay his 2 years of salary

eastkyred
06-07-2007, 06:31 PM
shouldn't we be able to get SOMETHING in a trade for stanton? sure he hasn't pitched well, but bullpen arms are always high in demand. it doesn't seem like we should just cut him and be forced to pay his 2 years of salary

If you were another team, would you trade for Stanton and pay the remainder of his 2 mil this year plus 3.5 mil next year for a 40 year old, out of shape, 85 mph meatball thrower? I don't think those kind of bullpen arms are in high demand.

aaronboonefan
06-07-2007, 07:21 PM

I really doubt ANYONE would want Stanton. I like to think (although I might be assuming too much), that the Reds management tried to trade Cormier before releasing him, and if no one jumped at him (and he recently retired which proves the lack of interest) than no one would want Stanton who has not had as much recent success as Cormier who posted a 1.59 ERA last year before coming to Cincy.

IMO, the Reds best move is to drop him.

bucksfan2
06-08-2007, 09:18 AM
I may be one of the few but I give stanton a few more weeks in hopes that he turns it around a little. I remember when Weathers first came over he struggled but regrouped to pitch ok during the end of the season. I hope that Stanton can find something and boost his value from nothing to something someone may want.

jpurdy974
06-08-2007, 09:25 AM
How about if you add another name to that list...Chad Moeller. Oh wait, I forgot, Jerry has to have three catchers.

JLB5
06-08-2007, 09:44 AM
I may be one of the few but I give stanton a few more weeks in hopes that he turns it around a little. I remember when Weathers first came over he struggled but regrouped to pitch ok during the end of the season. I hope that Stanton can find something and boost his value from nothing to something someone may want.

If you look at Stanton's splits the last few years, he has been a slow starter. Hopefully he will settle down and will be a commodity at the deadline. Somebody is always looking for a lefty at the deadline.

klw
06-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Per the ORG thread, Coffey sent down
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1377647#post1377647