PDA

View Full Version : The 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft Discussion Thread (Day 2)

Pages : [1] 2

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Please post all discussion on the 2nd day of the draft here. Day 2 of the draft starts at 11:30am.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 09:41 AM
As far as I can tell, Chris Carpenter, RHP, Kent St. is still on the board. I'd like the Reds to take a chance on him in the 6th round.

Who are some other players on Day 2 that you have on your "hope" list?

Triples
06-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Not sure I care as long as his stats show him as a pitcher!!!

As far as I can tell, Chris Carpenter, RHP, Kent St. is still on the board. I'd like the Reds to take a chance on him in the 6th round.

Who are some other players on Day 2 that you have on your "hope" list?

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 09:46 AM
I would also like to note that I absolutely love the drafts by the Angels and the Tigers so far. I don't think there's a pick by either of them that I don't like.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Among Day 2 names that I'll be looking for:

Evan Danieli, RHP, Seton Hall Prep, West Orange, N.J.
Dominic de la Osa, OF, Vanderbilt U.
Yasmani Grandal, C, Miami Springs (Fla.) HS
Wynn Pelzer, RHP, South Carolina U.
Anthony Ranaudo, RHP, Saint Rose HS, Ocean Township, N.J.
Tanner Robles, LHP, Cottonwood HS, Salt Lake City
Greg Peavey, RHP, Hudson’s Bay HS, Vancouver, Wash
Julian Sampson, RHP, Skyline (Wash.) HS
Kevin Rhoderick, RHP, Horizon HS, Scottsdale, Ariz.
Hunter Morris, 1B, : Grissom HS, Huntsville, Ala.
Patrick Johnson, RHP, : St. Stephens HS, Conover, N.C

Reds Freak
06-08-2007, 10:31 AM
This is the first year I've really followed the draft and some of its available players closely so this might be a dumb question. But what is the timeline for these guys as far as getting them signed and seeing them in Billings? Will they all go to Billings or might you see some in Dayton at the end of the year?

larks
06-08-2007, 10:42 AM
My top three wishlist for today would be
Victor Sanchez 3B, Gahr HS, CA
Chris Carpenter, RHP Kent State
Kevin Rhoderick, RHP- Horizon HS, Scottsdale

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Among Day 2 names that I'll be looking for:

Dominic de la Osa, OF, Vanderbilt U.

I've heard that if he falls much farther, he's going back to school al-la Matt LaPorta.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 10:51 AM
This is the first year I've really followed the draft and some of its available players closely so this might be a dumb question. But what is the timeline for these guys as far as getting them signed and seeing them in Billings? Will they all go to Billings or might you see some in Dayton at the end of the year?

Not a dumb question, but hard to answer. It really depends on a couple of things 1) when the player signs, and 2) how advanced the player is already.

With #1, the system was changed with the last collective bargaining agreement (IIRC) so that all players have to be signed by August 15th. In prior years teams that drafted players had negotiating rights until a week before the draft the following year. It'll be interesting to see how this change effects signings. Most players that are signed are assigned to a rookie team, like Billings, although if a player is an advanced college player, he may be assigned to Low A (Dayton) or even High A (Sarasota). It's not impossible for a player to start in Double A and advance to Triple A by the end of the season, although, obviously that player would have to be deemed near major league ready at the time of the draft (college reliever like Ryan Wagner, used only for example, not saying that was the correct career path for him).

Reds Fanatic
06-08-2007, 10:52 AM

The majority will end up in Billings but there will probably be a few that will end up in Dayton. I know last year some of the pitchers were in Dayton by the end of the year. Some will also depend on if players get promoted from Dayton to Sarasota some of these rookies could come up to take their place in Dayton.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 10:53 AM
My top three wishlist for today would be
Victor Sanchez 3B, Gahr HS, CA

Forgot about Sanchez. Good call. :thumbup:

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't mind if the Reds took Grandal and Sanchez, although I would like to see some arms come in by the truckload.

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Grandal

Think they'd take another catcher?

larks
06-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Add to the list
Jack McGeary, LHP, Roxbury Latin HS, MA
Kentrail Davis, OF, Theodore HS, AL

Gallen5862
06-08-2007, 11:02 AM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=140

Sleepless Night
Posted Jun. 7, 2007 9:40 pm by Alan Matthews
Filed under: Draft Day: June 7

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla.–The first day of the draft has concluded, and I’m one of three people still in the Milk House, other than the crew that’s breaking down the set.

I won’t be sleeping much tonight, as I try to sift through what was what during Day One, but the guys who are really restless are the dozen players that were ranked in our pre-draft top 100 prospects list that never heard their names called today.

Jack McGeary was the highest-ranked player on our pre-draft list, which was compiled in early May, at No. 27 who was not drafted today. That was not much of a surprise, as McGeary is seeking a signing bonus commensurate with a single-digit pick in the first round, didn’t perform as well this season as he had last fall, has committed to Stanford and comes from an affluent family that has placed a value on his education.

Some of the other players with top-100 talent who will be fielding phone calls tonight as teams try to get a gauge on what it might take to sign them if they’re drafted tomorrow, with their pre-draft ranking in parenthesis.

Chris Carpenter, rhp, Kent State (31)

Yasmani Grandal, c, Miami Springs HS (42)

Kentrail Davis, of, Theodore (Ala.) HS (54)

Cole St.Clair, lhp, Rice (56)

Nick Tepesch, rhp, Blue Springs (Mo.) HS (62)

Kevin Patterson, 1b, Oak Mountain HS, Birmingham (67)

Gary Brown, of, Diamond Bar HS, Walnut, Calif. (77)

Taylor Cole, rhp, Bishop Gorman HS, Las Vegas (79)

Matt Thompson, rhp, Santa Rosa (Calif.) JC (83)

Chad Jones, of, Southern Lab HS, Baton Rouge (92)

Victor Sanchez, 3b/c, Norwalk HS, Gahr, Calif. (93)

Signability was the primary reason these players remain undrafted, and as one scout broke down the scenarios in regards to Davis and Patterson, there was too much talent in this draft to hassle with trying to draft a player that teams were not sure they could sign.

“When you went in the house (to discuss signability before the draft) everything was very ambiguous and ambiguity usually means at least a million dollars,” the scout said. “Their talent didn’t match the price tag, and we’re talking significant over-pays. They’ll be premium summer draft-and-follows tomorrow morning.”

Most, or all, of these players will be taken on the second day, and if they perform well during the summer and perhaps soften their bonus demands, could possibly sign before the Aug. 15 signing deadline.

Benihana
06-08-2007, 11:23 AM
I would love to get Cole St. Clair, Kentrail Davis, and/or Yasmani Grandal.

Give me the college lefties! Grandal would be great to pair with Mesoraco, and they could push each other through the system a la Dunn and Kearns. Send Mesoraco to Billings and Grandal to ExST, and see how each develops.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Think they'd take another catcher?

Do I think they will? I'm about 65/35, no.

Do I think they should? Maybe. Players don't advance at the same rate. Maybe you have one season where both players demand they be at the same level, but there is a DH available to them at the lower levels to keep both of their bats in the lineup. There are creative ways to get 2 players that play the same position into the lineup on a daily basis. Having said that, if both require first round slot investments, I'm not sure I'd want to try and juggle them like that and therefore might be swayed not to take another catcher.

Reds Fanatic
06-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Round 6 has started.

larks
06-08-2007, 11:37 AM
well McGeary is gone to Washington

Reds Fanatic
06-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Reds pick Evan Hildenbrandt RHP Mennonite Educational Inst.

He is 6'2" and 190 lbs.

Red Leader
The Reds take Evan Hillenbrandt, RHP.

larks
And the Reds take Evan Hildenbrandt RHP from the Menonite Educational Institute

EddieMilner
06-08-2007, 11:44 AM
And the Reds take Evan Hildenbrandt RHP from the Menonite Educational Institute

does that mean he is amish?

Reds Fanatic
06-08-2007, 11:45 AM
I think he may be another Canadian pitcher. I see where a pitcher with that name was on a Canadian junior national team.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 11:46 AM

Amish-Canadian. Bonus.

Abbotsford (B.C.) HS

Falls City Beer
06-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Amish-Canadian. Bonus.

Abbotsford (B.C.) HS

Glad they dispensed with the facial hair prohibition in Cincy. :)

Wonder if he'll call his teammates "thee English?"

Reds Fanatic
Here is one piece of info on Hildenbrandt from a website about that Canadian junior national team:

Hildebrandt has developed into one of the most powerful pitchers in the BCPBL, consistently throwing a 90+ f fastball.

IamWallaman
Did a search and found this info on him:

HILDEBRANDT SELECTED FOR NATIONAL TEAM
3rd year Cardinal's Pitcher, Evan Hildebrandt has been selected to attend the U18 Canadian Baseball National Teamtraining camp, to be held during the last week of April in Florida. Featuring elite players from throughout the country, the camp will be the final stage towards being selected to the Team Canada roster.

Hildebrandt has developed into one of the most powerful pitchers in the BCPBL, consistently throwing a 90+ f fastball. The Cardinals organization congratulates Evan and wishes him all the best in Florida!

A young, hard tosser... I'll take it.

Reds Freak
Local pick. Baltimore takes Matt Angle from Ohio State. Angle is an OF with blazing speed who attended Whitehall High School in Columbus

Falls City Beer
06-08-2007, 11:50 AM
What will happen if the manager calls for a retaliatory beaning? Will he do it?

I've got to know!

Reds Fanatic
06-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Round 7:

Reds pick Brandon Waring 3B Wofford College

Waring is 6'04" 195 lbs and is a junior.

IamWallaman
06-08-2007, 11:54 AM
ABOUT BRANDON WARING
POSITION: Third base
HT.: 6-foot-4
WT.: 195 pounds
BATS/THROWS: Right/right
YEAR: Junior
HIGH SCHOOL: All-state his senior season at Airport
STATS: Waring leads the team in batting average (.405), runs (73), hits (87), home runs (27), RBIs (73) and stolen bases (12). He was named a Louisville Slugger player of the week after compiling a .560 batting average with five home runs and 16 RBIs in five games of the Southern Conference tournament.

Looks promising.

Ben
06-08-2007, 11:59 AM
42 BB/58 SO's...appears as if he has some plate patience. As stated earlier, looks promising

HumnHilghtFreel
06-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Reds pick Evan Hildenbrandt RHP Mennonite Educational Inst.

He is 6'2" and 190 lbs.

Scouting Video (mms://a1503.v108692.c10869.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/10869/v0001/mlb.download.akamai.com/10869/2007/open/draft/prospects/hildenbrandt_evan_400.wmv?ct3=-1&ct4=mlb&ct5=08-Jun-07)

Round 7:

Reds pick Brandon Waring 3B Wofford College

Waring is 6'04" 195 lbs and is a junior.

Scouting Video (mms://a1503.v108692.c10869.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/10869/v0001/mlb.download.akamai.com/10869/2007/open/draft/prospects/waring_brandon_400.wmv?ct3=-1&ct4=mlb&ct5=08-Jun-07)

edabbs44
06-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Did some of the bigger names go already? What's wrong with taking a flyer on Carpenter?

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Did some of the bigger names go already? What's wrong with taking a flyer on Carpenter?

Signability. It's a Kent thing. They suck you into staying there 6+ years. I should know. ;) :p: :laugh:

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:03 PM
8th round, pick 259:

Andrew O'Neil, RHP, Penn St.

6'3" 200lbs. 11/08/85

Red Shirt Soph, I believe.

AdamDunn
06-08-2007, 12:06 PM
I want Paul Henley, OF for Rice University

Too late.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:08 PM
I want Paul Henley, OF for Rice University

Too late. Was just taken by St. Louis.

danken12
06-08-2007, 12:08 PM
I found this, I assume this is the same person.

Facts

#39 Drew O'Neil
Junior / Sophomore - Pitcher, R/R

Height: 6-3
Weight: 200 lbs.
Hometown: Roswell, Georgia
High School: Young Harris College

Young Harris College (Freshman):
Played for the Mountain Lions for one season under head coach Rick Robinson....Helped lead the team to a 48-16 record as a sophomore....Was a member of a GJCAA championship team in his only year at Young Harris.

Wake Forest (Redshirt):
Took a medical redshirted in his only year at Wake Forest after having Tommy John surgery.

Blessed Trinity HS:
Earned four varsity letters at Blessed Trinity High School in Roswell, Ga....Was an All-County honorable mention selection as a sophomore....Went 6-0 with a 1.57 ERA and was a first team All-County pick and was also named to the Dugout Club All-Tournament team as a junior....Team went a combined 28-2 in the region over his final two years and won back-to-back regional championships....Also participated in football.

Background:
Andrew Michael O’Neil was born on November 8, 1985 in Atlanta, Ga....The son of David and Kathy O’Neil, he has an older brother, Richard (24) and an older sister, Kristen (22)....Drew is majoring in economics.

Robbie Wine on Drew O’Neil
- “Drew will have an immediate impact on this team’s success. He is a good student from an outstanding academic junior college, Young Harris down in Georgia. His experience will be of great value to our staff.”

top of page

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Round 9, pick# 289

Alexis Oliveras, CF, PR BB Academy.

03/29/89. T-R, B-L. 6'0"

Az. Reds Fan
06-08-2007, 12:14 PM
O’Neil Opens Eyes
Posted May. 29, 2007 12:35 pm by Alan Matthews
Filed under: Sleepers, College

The rise of Devin Mesoraco was easily the most exciting story of amateur baseball in Pennsylvania this year. While Mesoraco, a senior catcher from Punxsutawney, made his move early this spring, the last month of the season saw a college prospect from the Keystone State make a push, albeit not nearly as high in draft stock as Mesoraco.

Drew O’Neil has accrued quite a bit of mileage during his college career, and he might get reimbursed finally on draft day, with a spot in the top 10 rounds. A Roswell, Ga., native, O’Neil committed to Wake Forest but never threw a pitch for the Demon Deacons, missing his freshman season in 2005 while he recovered from Tommy John surgery.

He transferred to Young Harris (Ga.) Junior College in 2006, but didn’t show the stuff to garner much consideration in the draft, and transferred a second time, this time to Penn State.

As a redshirt sophomore this season, O’Neill has finally found his calling. The 21-year-old righthander went 4-2, 1.34 this season with 11 saves in 23 appearances. His strikeouts were underwhelming, as he registered just 21 with 10 walks in 33 innings, but he held hitters to a .188 average.

He works from a low-three-quarters arm slot, which gives his delivery deception. He’s been up to 92 mph and will flash a plus slider at times, though it’s inconsistent. O’Neil’s been invited to a couple of pre-draft workouts for major league teams, and was on the rise at just the right time.

KoryMac5
06-08-2007, 12:15 PM

No the amish split from the menonite church years ago.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Wynn Pelzer goes to the Padres at pick #297

medford
06-08-2007, 12:17 PM
What will happen if the manager calls for a retaliatory beaning? Will he do it?

I've got to know!

Well if you've ever seen "Kingpin" then you should know the answer to this one. He'll bean the opposing player 1.5 times. Then he'll politely tell the other teams, I hope that didn't hurt too much, eh.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Eric Fryer, C for OSU just went to the Brewers in RD 10.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Round 10. Pick# 319:

Harris Honeycutt, RHP, South Carolina-Columbia (Sr.)

6'1" 205 12/18/85

HokieRed
06-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Hildebrandt video is really impressive. This is a guy who is going to be able to throw really hard.

jesusfan
06-08-2007, 12:24 PM
South Carollina pitcher Harris Honeycutt!

Gallen5862
06-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Who is still left from this list?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=140

Sleepless Night
Posted Jun. 7, 2007 9:40 pm by Alan Matthews
Filed under: Draft Day: June 7

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla.–The first day of the draft has concluded, and I’m one of three people still in the Milk House, other than the crew that’s breaking down the set.

I won’t be sleeping much tonight, as I try to sift through what was what during Day One, but the guys who are really restless are the dozen players that were ranked in our pre-draft top 100 prospects list that never heard their names called today.

Jack McGeary was the highest-ranked player on our pre-draft list, which was compiled in early May, at No. 27 who was not drafted today. That was not much of a surprise, as McGeary is seeking a signing bonus commensurate with a single-digit pick in the first round, didn’t perform as well this season as he had last fall, has committed to Stanford and comes from an affluent family that has placed a value on his education.

Some of the other players with top-100 talent who will be fielding phone calls tonight as teams try to get a gauge on what it might take to sign them if they’re drafted tomorrow, with their pre-draft ranking in parenthesis.

Chris Carpenter, rhp, Kent State (31)

Yasmani Grandal, c, Miami Springs HS (42)

Kentrail Davis, of, Theodore (Ala.) HS (54)

Cole St.Clair, lhp, Rice (56)

Nick Tepesch, rhp, Blue Springs (Mo.) HS (62)

Kevin Patterson, 1b, Oak Mountain HS, Birmingham (67)

Gary Brown, of, Diamond Bar HS, Walnut, Calif. (77)

Taylor Cole, rhp, Bishop Gorman HS, Las Vegas (79)

Matt Thompson, rhp, Santa Rosa (Calif.) JC (83)

Chad Jones, of, Southern Lab HS, Baton Rouge (92)

Victor Sanchez, 3b/c, Norwalk HS, Gahr, Calif. (93)

Signability was the primary reason these players remain undrafted, and as one scout broke down the scenarios in regards to Davis and Patterson, there was too much talent in this draft to hassle with trying to draft a player that teams were not sure they could sign.

“When you went in the house (to discuss signability before the draft) everything was very ambiguous and ambiguity usually means at least a million dollars,” the scout said. “Their talent didn’t match the price tag, and we’re talking significant over-pays. They’ll be premium summer draft-and-follows tomorrow morning.”

Most, or all, of these players will be taken on the second day, and if they perform well during the summer and perhaps soften their bonus demands, could possibly sign before the Aug. 15 signing deadline.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:26 PM
I think they all are, still. Red Sox and Yankees haven't picked in the 10th yet, though.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:28 PM
De la Osa (Vanderbilt - dabvu) just went to the Tigers in the 10th. They've had a tremendous draft so far. if they can sign most of those picks, this will be a very good draft for them.

Gallen5862
06-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Reds need to grab some players from that list.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:31 PM
David Lough, a Jr. from Mercyhurst Coll (OH) just went to the Royals in Round 11.

jesusfan
06-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Catcher Jordan Wideman...

jesusfan
06-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Another canadian... wow

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Round 11, Pick #349:

Jordan Wideman, C, Streetsville SS 5'11" 200 03/14/89

Red Leader
Anthony Ranaudo went to Texas the pick after the Reds this round.

dabvu2498
De la Osa (Vanderbilt - dabvu) just went to the Tigers in the 10th. They've had a tremendous draft so far. if they can sign most of those picks, this will be a very good draft for them.

Perfect Tiger -- free swinger.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Also, the Braves took LHP Brandon Belt (a player I mock drafted last year out of HS). Just FYI.

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 12:40 PM
So the Reds did draft another catcher.

Az. Reds Fan
06-08-2007, 12:41 PM
So the Reds did draft another catcher.

Another HS catcher, no less

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:42 PM
The Giants just took Andrew Davis, a 3B from Kent St.

The Giants took Emmanuel Burris from Kent last year.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Round 12, Pick 379:

Scott Gaffney, SS, Penn St. (Jr).

6'3" 185 03/13/86

Another SS....

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 12:44 PM
We loves us some shortstops.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:46 PM
We loves us some shortstops.

I think they might be going with the old American Legion theory of "if you were the SS on your team, you are the best athlete and can move anywhere..."

Interesting to see where some of these guys end up playing, if they sign.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:46 PM
The Phils took Julian Sampson at pick 373, Round 12.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:48 PM
The A's take OF Gary Brown in the 12th round. Diamond Bar HS and BA Top 200 talent.

pedro
06-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Round 11, Pick #349:

Jordan Wideman, C, Streetsville SS 5'11" 200 03/14/89

Who I instantly stick with the moniker "Big River"

NC Reds
06-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Gaffney hit .265 this season. I have a hard time believing there are no pitchers left worth taking over him.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Gaffney hit .265 this season. I have a hard time believing there are no pitchers left worth taking over him.

He's a SS, though, and that's all that matters, apparently.

I'm sure he does all the little things and knows how to play the game...

Puffy
06-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Themes from the Reds draft:

(1) HS catchers, lots of SS's who profile as third basemen and third basemen who profile as third basemen, and pitchers
(2) great white north. Either loopy canadians, Pennsylvanians or Mennonites

DeadRedinCT
06-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Gaffney also pitched.

2-3 3.76ERA 9G 8GS 40.2IP 35K 14BB

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Round 13, Pick# 409.

Here comes the "big splash":

Brandan Munchaca, OF, U of Delaware. (Sr)

6'0" 195 R/R 04/15/85

RL Nickname: Chewie

Lots of college seniors (read: easy signs) being drafted.

chicoruiz
06-08-2007, 12:57 PM
The Reds area scouts for Pennsylvania and Canada nust be pretty persuasive fellows...they're getting a lot of their guys drafted.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Texas takes Kyle O'Campo. Houston takes Chad Jones. And Boston takes Justin Grimm. All BA Top 200 guys available in the 13th round.

But we've got Chewie.

Heath
06-08-2007, 12:58 PM
A couple of random thoughts -

- Drew O'Neil reminds me of Steve Kelly with an upside.

- Don't confuse Mennonites with Quakers.

- Is Davey Concepcion consulting with the Reds on drafting this year?

That is all.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Rockies take Kentrail Davis in the 14th...doubt he signs.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Round 14, Pick 439:

Joseph Krebs, LHP, U of Texas - Austin (Sr.)

6'0" 200 09/14/84

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Wow. RL, you called it yesterday on the college seniors.

Gallen5862
06-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Any info on Krebs?

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Toronto takes LHP Cody Crowell, Vanderbilt in the 14th.

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Toronto takes LHP Cody Crowell, Vanderbilt in the 14th.

Eek. Didn't figure he'd get drafted in the top 30 rounds. I bet he signs from the 14th.

jesusfan
06-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Any info on Krebs?

http://www.texassports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=18&change_well_id=17&member_id=824

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Wow. RL, you called it yesterday on the college seniors.

I'm a genius...:laugh:

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Krebs:

Joseph Krebs #46
Height: 6-1
Weight: 205
Class: Sr.-1L
Position: LHP
Hometown: Bridgeport, TX (Bridgeport/Navarro College)

9-1 2.60 ERA, 93.1 IP, 86 K, 19 BB 35 games, only 6 starts

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Round 15, Pick# 469:

Matthew Klinker, RHP, Furman U. (Sr.)

6'5" 210 10/08/84

RL Nickname: Plink-O.

pedro
06-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Well at least they're getting some big framed pitchers today.

jesusfan
06-08-2007, 01:16 PM
15th Round- Matthew Klinker 6'5 210:

Furman: Tall, strong righthander who heads into the 2007 campaign as Furman's top starting pitcher...has a chance to rank among the SoCon's best hurlers this spring...continued improvement on mound presence could contribute to a fine senior campaign...fastball and slider rank as his top pitches...has an improving changeup...slated as Furman's Friday night starter in league series play. 2006 -- Served as the anchor to Furman's starting rotation, earning starts in 15 of 16 appearances...went 6-4 with a 3.90 ERA...paced the Paladin staff with 87 2/3 innings of work and 65 strikeouts

Gallen5862
06-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks Jesusfan for the info on Krebbs and Klinker.

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Klinker -- From Lakota West, HS, West Chester, Ohio... better in 06 than 07.

5-6 4.57 ERA

PS: Furman's head coach used to coach basketball at Middletown HS. Lots of Cincy kids become Paladins.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Must be taking a short break after Rd 15. Probably 5 mins.

Gallen5862
06-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Who is left on the Best available list?

jesusfan
06-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Arizona got a steal with University of Kentucky's Sean Coughlin...

Preseason All American and this season hit .344 13 HR 73 RBI in the SEC...

Grande Donkey
06-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Texas takes Kyle O'Campo. Houston takes Chad Jones. And Boston takes Justin Grimm. All BA Top 200 guys available in the 13th round.

But we've got Chewie.
I go to the same HS Grimm goes to. He can fling a baseball. He got up to 94 i think this year after missing all of last year with an arm injury.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Who is left on the Best available list?

Chris Carpenter is still on the board, RHP from Kent St.
Evan Danieli, Tanner Robles, Yasmani Grandal, Greg Peavey, Kevin Rhoderick, Hunter Morris, Victor Sanchez and Patrick Johnson are also still available. I doubt any of them would sign for less than 2nd-3rd round money, though.

Kc61
06-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Around now, the teams are picking guys to fill out their rookie and short-season teams. After the mid-20s, many guys don't even get signed.

Reds did stress high school guys more than last year, as reflects the strength of the draft. Some of the early picks (the two pitchers from Canada, for example) are so young that you may not see them in the full season minor leagues for two years, or possibly even three.

I hope that the Frazier selection indicates that the Reds understand that you can't only have lefty bats. I also hope that some of the system's pitchers get moving to the higher levels because I can't watch the major league pitching staff any more. Except tonight, that will be interesting.

Reds Fanatic
06-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Round 16:

Reds pick Charles Snowden LHP Brandon HS

6'1" 150 lbs. 10/6/1988

RichRed
06-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Round 15, Pick# 469:

Matthew Klinker, RHP, Furman U. (Sr.)

6'5" 210 10/08/84

RL Nickname: Plink-O.

"The Colonel?"

jesusfan
06-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Round 16:

Reds pick Charles Snowden LHP Brandon HS

6'1" 150 lbs. 10/16/1988

we picked a bean pole?

pedro
06-08-2007, 01:40 PM
"The Colonel?"

nice.

http://photos24.flickr.com/36890442_3c136845e4_m.jpg

RichRed
06-08-2007, 01:43 PM
nice.

Thanks. I meant to compliment you on your Jordan "Big River" Wideman post earlier. Good one.

Reds Fanatic
06-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Round 17:

Reds pick Jesse Craig RHP Brigham Young

6'3" 235 lbs. (SR) 2/18/83

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Round 17, pick 529:

Jesse Craig, RHP, BYU (Sr)

6'3" 235

RL Nickname: "The Body"

AdamDunn
06-08-2007, 01:47 PM
who got Chris Carpenter?

jesusfan
06-08-2007, 01:47 PM
2007 Jesse Craig: 2.94 10-2 125.1 IP 137 Hits 41 Runs 21 BB 86 SO

jesusfan
06-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Jesse "The Body" Craig... nice

Benihana
who got Cole St Clair?

Reds Fanatic
Here is an article about Craig:

BYU pitcher Jesse Craig was named Mountain West Conference Pitcher of the Year Tuesday, according to a release from BYU athletic communications.

Craig, a senior from Las Vegas, was perfect in the MWC with six wins and no losses. Overall, Craig was 10-2 with a league-low 2.80 ERA.

"Jesse is so tough on the mound and gives us the swagger we need in the conference," said Cougar outfielder Colin Fanning.

Craig also led the MWC with 85 strikeouts in 119 innings pitched.

In addition to this most recent accolade, Craig has been named MWC pitcher of the week twice this year. His first honor came after ending TCU's 19-game home winning streak, shutting out the Frogs 5-0. He was recognized again for his work last week against the University of Utah.

Craig was also voted to the ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District Team for his 3.82 grade point average.

Craig began his career at BYU in 2006 after transferring from the Community College of Southern Nevada. He was drafted by the Atlanta Braves in 2001, but chose to serve a church mission to Rochester, N.Y.

As a junior, Craig recorded 80 strikeouts and a 4.70 ERA for the Cougars.

jesusfan
06-08-2007, 01:49 PM
who got Chris Carpenter?

Nobody yet...

RichRed
06-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Jesse "The Body" Craig... nice

Agreed. Let's just hope he doesn't pitch like Jenny Craig.

jesusfan
06-08-2007, 01:50 PM
who got Cole St Clair?

Indians... pick 227

AdamDunn
06-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Nobody yet...

Jeez... what's everybody waiting for? I thought Chris Carpenter was one of the top pitching prospects this draft. Signability couldn't be THAT big of a problem

Reds Fanatic
06-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Round 18:

Reds pick Taylor Jordan RHP Merritt Island HS

6'3" 190 lbs 1/17/89

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Round 18: 559:

Taylor Jordan, RHP, Merritt Island HS (FL)

6'3" 190

Nickname: The Heir?

jesusfan
06-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Taylor Jordan good pick!

read this little bit about him, about midway down the article...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=50

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 02:00 PM
You wanna talk about a cool name?

Dodger's 18th round pick: Given Kutz...A RHP from U of Portland.

I wonder if he has a brother named "Takin'"

Red Leader
The Yankees take Chris Carpenter in the 18th round, and I bet he'll sign.

AdamDunn
Chris Carpenter to the Yankees... steal

jesusfan
06-08-2007, 02:01 PM
From--> http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070527/SPORTS07/705270345/1093/sports07&template=printart

Taylor Jordan Merritt Island, Pitcher

The numbers: An overpowering right-handed senior, Jordan finished 12-1 with two saves and an 0.94 ERA for the Mustangs. He struck out 94 in 74 1/3 innings and will take his talent next season to Indian River Community College.

Best moment this season: When we won districts.

Favorite athlete: Greg Maddux

Favorite movie: "The Condemned"

Best out-of-athletics skill: Fishing

One thing few people know about you: I like to play chess.

Toughest place you played/performed in high school: Monsignor Pace

edabbs44
06-08-2007, 02:02 PM
The Yankees take Chris Carpenter in the 18th round, and I bet he'll sign.

The Reds couldn't have burnt an 18th on this guy and throw some money at him? What a shame...I guess they need the extra money for next year's 2 year deal offered to Todd Jones.

ochoa30
06-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Taylor Jordan good pick!

read this little bit about him, about midway down the article...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=50

looks like a tough sign, should be interesting.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Round 19, Pick 589:

Raymond Jeffords, RHP, U. South Carolina - Columbia (Sr)

6'0" 200

Who scouted that school? That's 2.

Red Leader
Round 19, Pick 589:

6'0" 200

jesusfan
Raymond Jeffords

Heath
06-08-2007, 02:08 PM
South Carolina - the hot bed of college pitching.

Marcus McBeth and Jon Coutlangus thank you.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Steppin' out for a minute. I'll be back in about 10 mins. I think they're taking a break after round 20 anyway.

jesusfan
06-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Jeff Jeffords is his name on the roster...

Heath
06-08-2007, 02:10 PM
So looks like the Reds are going after pitchers after the senior years. Interesting.

Red Daddy
06-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Round 19, Pick 589:

6'0" 200

USC in SC is one of the premier college programs in the country. They're doing great in the post season this year. Usually they do great in the regular season and fall apart in the post season. They should be loaded with talent.

Reds Fanatic
06-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Round 20:

Reds pick Jacob Kahaulelio SS Oral Roberts University

5'10" 185 lbs (SR) 6/7/85

RichRed
06-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Round 20:

Reds pick Jacob Kahaulelio SS Oral Roberts University

5'10" 185 lbs (SR) 6/7/85

Hey, look at that - a shortstop!

NC Reds
06-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Buckley wants to create some competition for that shortstop job in Billings, doesn't he?

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Hey, look at that - a shortstop!

And a college senior!!!!!!OMG!!!!!

Reds Fanatic
06-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Round 21:

Reds pick Jeremy Horst LHP Armstrong Atlantic St. University

6'04" 225 lbs (SR)

reds44
06-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Buckley wants to create some competition for that shortstop job in Billings, doesn't he?
They aren't all going to play SS. Alot of the time, the SS is the best athlete on the field. SS can play almost anywhere.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Fraizer skip Billings and go straight to Dayton. He seems like an advanced hitter to be playing in Billings. I doubt he plays SS also.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Pick 649, Round 21.

Jeremy Horst, LHP, Armstrong Atlantic St. U (Sr.) N.Dakota

6'4" 225.

I love hearing some of the names of these colleges. Every year I hear one I've never heard before.

pedro
06-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Pick 649, Round 21.

Jeremy Horst, LHP, Armstrong Atlantic St. U (Sr.) N.Dakota

6'4" 225.

I love hearing some of the names of these colleges. Every year I hear one I've never heard before.

That is an odd one, esp for N. Dakota

RichRed
06-08-2007, 02:29 PM
And a college senior!!!!!!OMG!!!!!

And a guy who needs a nickname, stat. I have no clue how to pronounce that last name.

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 02:32 PM
That is an odd one, esp for N. Dakota

AASU is in Savannah, Georgia.

He must be an ND native.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Round 22, Pick 679:

Jim Coombs, RHP, Five Seconds and It's All Over U. (Sr)

5'8" 195

The real pick:

Robert Rhoden, RHP, Vanderbilt (Sr.)

6'3" 222

reds44
Robert Rhoden, P, Vandy

pedro
And a guy who needs a nickname, stat. I have no clue how to pronounce that last name.

I went to middle school with a kid from Iran named Sharam Abulfazadah. The Principal called him to the office over the loudspeaker one day and called him, I **** you not, Sharam "Alphabet".

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 02:34 PM

Jacob Kahaulelio.

RL Nickname: Koolio, or Ukelele (Your choice)

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Horst pitched in 24 games as a senior in 2007, going 4-0 with a 5.88 ERA and one save. He struck out 42 batters in 33.2 innings pitched and, in his two-year career as a Pirate, went 8-2 with 102 strikeouts in 96.2 innings pitched. The 6-4, 220-pounder was previously drafted out of high school by Pittsburgh in the 34th round in 2003.

http://www.athletics.armstrong.edu/graphics/jhorst2007act.jpg

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Robert Rhoden, P, Vandy

Stud.

RichRed
06-08-2007, 02:36 PM
I went to middle school with a kid from Iran named Sharam Abulfazadah. The Principal called him to the office over the loudspeaker one day and called him, I **** you not, Sharam "Alphabet".

Then maybe we just call this Kahaulelio guy "Vowel." Dude's got 6 of 'em in his last name.

RichRed
06-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Jacob Kahaulelio.

RL Nickname: Koolio, or Ukelele (Your choice)

I like Koolio - nice one.

edabbs44
06-08-2007, 02:37 PM

Tiny Bubbles?

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Stud.

I'm going to need a little more info on him than that, dabvu. C'mon he's a Vandy guy. That's right in your wheelhouse. Spill the info...

pedro
06-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Then maybe we just call this Kahaulelio guy "Vowel." Dude's got 6 of 'em in his last name.

As with most Hawaiian names. They only have 13 letters in their alphabet and all words end in vowels.

RichRed
06-08-2007, 02:40 PM
By the way, guys, no need to thank me for all the in-depth baseball analysis I've provided on this thread. It's my pleasure.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 02:40 PM
By the way, guys, no need to thank me for all the in-depth baseball analysis I've provided on this thread. It's my pleasure.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, me too.

pedro
06-08-2007, 02:41 PM

how about "wheel of fortune"?

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Round 23, Pick# 709:

Jason Bour, C (another), George Mason U. (Jr)

6'3" ? 07/02/86

RL Nickname: The Supremacy

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm going to need a little more info on him than that, dabvu. C'mon he's a Vandy guy. That's right in your wheelhouse. Spill the info...

Only threw 24 innings. Was projected to be a midweek starter at the beginning of the year. Ended up working out of the bullpen due to the emergence of Mike Minor and Nick Christiani. Throws fairly hard (never saw a gun on him). 24 Ks in 24 IPs, but most of that wasn't against SEC competition. Looked pretty hittable (flat) the only time I saw him live.

NC Reds
06-08-2007, 02:44 PM
The Bour Identity

2007: Finished the season among the national leaders in home runs per game and was second on the team in batting average, doubles and slugging percentage, third on the team in hits, RBI and runs and fourth in home runs... Named first-team All-CAA at catcher... Hit .366 with 13 homers, 50 RBI, 17 doubles, 74 hits and 40 runs while slugging .673... Had game-winning homer in Mason's 5-1 win over then-No. 1 Clemson on Feb. 17... Had 24 multi-hit games, 17 multi-RBI games and a 14-game hitting streak... Over a 22-game stretch from March 30-May 4, hit .494 with seven homers, 27 RBI, nine doubles, 22 runs and a .904 slugging percentage... Had a hit in 26 of the season's final 29 games... Will enter his senior season seventh all-time at Mason in career batting average with a .345 mark.

pedro
06-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Round 23, Pick# 709:

Jason Bour, C (another), George Mason U. (jr)

6'3"

I'm gonna go with "sleeper"

CTA513
06-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Round 23, Pick# 709:

6'3" ? 07/02/86

The site below lists him at 6'4" and 250 lbs.

http://gomason.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/bour_justin00.html

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 02:47 PM

Well, it's wrong. He weighs '?'

Just kidding. Thanks CTA513

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 02:48 PM
John Baird, RHP from UC went to the Rays in Round 24.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Round 24, Pick# 739:

Francis Meade, C, Rutgers U. New Brunswick (Jr)

6'1" 215 09/27/85

RL Nickname: Psycho.

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Ty Davis (another Commodore) goes at 673 (22nd round) to the D-Backs. That's 5.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Ty Davis (another Commodore) goes at 673 (22nd round) to the D-Backs. That's 5.

Jonathan White went to the Brewers earlier in round 24, pick 731

That's 6.

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Jonathan White went to the Brewers earlier in round 24.

That's 6.

Even their part time players are getting drafted. Stunning.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 02:55 PM
The Yankees take Greg Peavey in Round 24.

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 02:55 PM
The Yankees take Greg Peavey in Round 24.

They'll pay him.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 02:56 PM
The Cubs take Victor Sanchez in round 25.

Heath
06-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Round 23, Pick# 709:

6'3" ? 07/02/86

I'm gonna go with "sleeper"

At that size, I'd call him "sir".

Gallen5862
06-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks for all the updates and scouting reports. How many BA top players are still available?

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Round 25, Pick 769:

Eli Rimes, 1B, Sonoma St. U. (Sr)

L/L 6'0" 210 6/07/85

RL Nickname: Busta

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Another college senior. 1B Eli Rimes from Sonoma St.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks for all the updates and scouting reports. How many BA top players are still available?

Not many. The ones that are left most likely won't sign unless you give them 1st or 2nd round money, which the Reds won't do.

Benihana
06-08-2007, 03:03 PM
At that size, I'd call him "sir".

is that King Hippo?

pedro
06-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Round 25, Pick 769:

Eli Rimes, 1B, Sonoma St. U. (Sr)

L/L 6'0" 210 6/07/85

RL Nickname: Busta

just don;t call him "Leigh Ann"

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Detroit just took a kid named Colin Kaline. I think he's got a bloodline.

Gallen5862
06-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Thanks Red Leader. Reds need some outfielders for the minors.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Appears to be a break before Round 26.

1/2 way home!

Anybody keeping track of how many college seniors we've taken.

Seems like 17-18 or so, probably 13-14, though. Just seems like more.

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Appears to be a break before Round 26.

1/2 way home!

Anybody keeping track of how many college seniors we've taken.

Seems like 17-18 or so, probably 13-14, though. Just seems like more.

I think we're drafting for the Florence Freedom as well.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Is Vanderbilt's bat boy draft eligible this year?

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 03:13 PM
In Round 25, Oakland picked Jareck West, a Jr. CFer for Delta St. University. It's showing it in Ohio. Never heard of it. Anyone?

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Just looked it up, Delta St. U is in Missouri, which makes more sense.

Jareck himself must be from OH.

Heath
06-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Cyclone and I just got calls that the Devil Rays are scouring local softball leagues to draft people in the later rounds.

Seems they like Cyclone's OBP and plate discipline and my uncanny ability to throw an underhanded knuckleball.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Round 26 underway...

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Stephen Shao, from Vanderbilt just went to Colorado. That's 7, I think.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Round 26, Pick 799:

Curtis Partch, RHP, Merced College (CA) J2

6'5" 210 02/13/87

RL Nickname: Partch Pitcher, Partch Animal

I'll be back in a couple minutes. Someone pick up the next round or two for me if I'm not back. Thanks.

thorn
06-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Questions regarding options.

As a senior, if you don't sign, does the team retain his rights and what options would he have, play in an independant league and re-enter the draft next year?

HS and underclassman, since the draft and follow is no longer around, they can go back to school and re-enter the draft when eligable, but do the teams loose the rights to that player?

dabvu2498
Is Vanderbilt's bat boy draft eligible this year?

Bet he could hit better than some of these sorrysacks.

Red Leader
The Dodgers just took Taylor Cole, pick 806

redssouth
06-08-2007, 03:39 PM

And they couldnt get out of the regional?

RedLegsToday
06-08-2007, 03:39 PM
27th round pick:

829 Roenicke, Jason Cuesta Col RHP R/R 6'00" 200 1985-10-25

RedLegsToday
06-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Yasmani Grandal goes to the Red Sox with the 834th pick

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Boston, not messing around, takes Nick Tepesch in the 28th round.

Cincinnati took:

28th round:

Jonathan Conatser, RHP, Tallahassee CC

6'0" 180 12/04/85

RL Nickname: Conehead

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 03:45 PM
And they couldnt get out of the regional?

http://www.pasty.com/discuss/messages/1785/1915.jpg

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 03:46 PM

Wasn't even on their post season roster. Swear to goodness.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Round 29, Pick 889:

Steven Otterness, LHP, Embry-Riddle U. (Sr)

6'4" 210 10/30/84

RL nickname: Puffy

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 03:51 PM
An engineer. Sweet.

CTA513
06-08-2007, 03:55 PM
27th round pick:

829 Roenicke, Jason Cuesta Col RHP R/R 6'00" 200 1985-10-25

Anyone know if he is related to Reds minor leaguer pitcher Josh Roenicke?

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Round 30. Pick# 919.

Brett Bartles, 3B, Duke U. (Jr)

6'2" 205 R/R 8/20/86

We need to pick someone up with the last name of James.

Bartles and James. :laugh: Ah, forget it.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Will Vazquez, C, Kent St. went to Boston in the 30th round.

Good luck, Will.

redsmetz
06-08-2007, 04:03 PM
I've been busy working (and have more to do before leaving at 5:00 to see Homer!), can anyone give a quick little synopsis of what we've been drafting today. My son called and said they'd draft a slew of pitchers this afternoon.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 04:04 PM
I've been busy working (and have more to do before leaving at 5:00 to see Homer!), can anyone give a quick little synopsis of what we've been drafting today. My son called and said they'd draft a slew of pitchers this afternoon.

We have a bunch of pitchers, SS's, and C's. Seems like most kids drafted today were college seniors.

I'll try to get on the board sometime tonight and update the Selection thread will all drafted players. It'll be easier to see the breakdown once I get that thread updated.

Gallen5862
06-08-2007, 04:07 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/2007xteam.php?team=CIN
Round Overall Player Position School State
1 15 Devin Mesoraco c Punxsutawney (Pa.) HS PA
As strong as this year's high school class was considered at the outset of the season, it got even better when high school righthanders Jarrod Parker and Nevin Griffith and Mesoraco came out of the gate showing better tools and ability than they had last summer and fall. Griffith and Mesoraco appeared in showcases, but they didn't show impact potential until this spring, and Mesoraco has been the biggest riser of them all. An arm injury led to Tommy John surgery when he was a sophomore, and he was relegated to DH duties as a junior. His arm strength has slowly returned, and this spring he has shown a 70 arm with quick, efficient releases. Defensively, Mesoraco compares favorably to 2001 Angels first-rounder Jeff Mathis, with athleticism serving as the foundation of an agile, quick-twitch player who receives and blocks exceptionally well. He shows above-average bat speed and 50-55 power at the plate. He's a solid-average runner, too, rounding out a legitimate five-tool package that probably won't make it out of the first round.
1s 34 Todd Frazier 3b Rutgers NJ
1s 53 Kyle Lotzkar rhp South Delta SS, Delta, B.C. BC
2 79 Zack Cozart ss Mississippi MS
3 104 Scott Carroll rhp Missouri State MO
3 109 Neftali Soto 3b Colegio Marista HS, Manati, P.R. PR
4 139 Blake Stouffer 3b/of Texas A&M TX
5 169 Drew Bowman lhp Nebraska NE
6 199 Evan Hildenbrandt rhp Mennonite Educational Inst., Abbotsford, B.C. CN
7 229 Brandon Waring 3b Wofford SC
8 259 Andrew O'Neill rhp Penn State PA
9 289 Alexis Oliveras of Puerto Rico Baseball Academy, Guaynabo, P.R. PR
10 319 Harris Honeycutt rhp South Carolina SC
11 349 Jordan Wideman c Streetsville SS, Mississauga, Ont. ON
12 379 Scott Gaffney ss Penn State PA
13 409 Brandon Menchaca of Delaware DE
14 439 Joseph Krebs lhp Texas TX
15 469 Matthew Kinker rhp Furman SC
16 499 Charles Snowden lhp Brandon HS MS
17 529 Jesse Craig rhp Brigham Young UT
18 559 Taylor Jordan rhp Merritt Island HS FL
19 589 Raymond Jeffords rhp South Carolina SC
20 619 Jacob Kahaulelio ss Oral Roberts OK

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Round 31, Pick 949:

Jordan Hotchkiss, RHP, Brevard College (NC) (Jr)

6'4" 210 04/03/86

RichRed
06-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Round 31, Pick 949:

6'4" 210 04/03/86

Our 3rd Jordan of the draft.

redsmetz
06-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks, folks. Very interesting.

LexingtonRedsFan
06-08-2007, 04:16 PM
I was wondering that since we havent taken many from texas (especialy considering how many in the last few years) if the death of our scout down there after last years draft (cant remember his name) has anything to do with the lack of picks from the lone star state??

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 04:18 PM
The Blue Jays passed in Round 31, their draft is done:

Round 32, Pick# 978:

Brandon Douglas, SS, University of N. Iowa (Jr)

6'0" 8/27/85.

Chip's got a new boyfriend...:cool:

Gallen5862
06-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Isn't that a little early to drop out of the draft?

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 04:24 PM
The Blue Jays passed in Round 31, their draft is done

Wow. IIRC, that hasn't been done in a while.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Isn't that a little early to drop out of the draft?

Yeah, you mostly see people drop out in the 40's, but the Blue Jays had a lot of early picks this year (2-1st round, 2 Supps, 2 second, or something like that). The budget only goes so far....

Heath
06-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Round 31, Pick 949:

6'4" 210 04/03/86

This guy needs a sister named Amanda. And a Last name Hugginkiss.

Heath
06-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Round 30. Pick# 919.

Brett Bartles, 3B, Duke U. (Jr)

6'2" 205 R/R 8/20/86

We need to pick someone up with the last name of James.

Bartles and James. :laugh: Ah, forget it.

Maybe we could trade for Chuck James.

They'd thank you for your support.

Reds Fanatic
Round 33:

Reds pick Brodie Pullen 3B Calhoun HS

Heath
Yeah, you mostly see people drop out in the 40's, but the Blue Jays had a lot of early picks this year (2-1st round, 2 Supps, 2 second, or something like that). The budget only goes so far....

Something about the Canadian exchange rate......

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Round 33, Pick 1007:

Brodie Pullen, 3B, Calhoun HS (GA)

R/R 6'0" 185 10/26/88

jesusfan
Brodie Pullen... decent prospect this low in the draft...

RichRed
Round 33:

Reds pick Brodie Pullen 3B Calhoun HS

Are you pullen my leg?

jesusfan
06-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Brodie and Josh Smoker were co Area players of the year in their region...

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 04:31 PM
RL Nickname:

Brodie Pullen "wool in HS"

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 04:32 PM
The Twins take Evan Danieli in this round (33). Pick 1019

He's packing for Notre Dame as the Twins hand the card in.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 04:34 PM
I think the rookie teams are covered on the left side of the infield.

Maybe they'll play Sandlot ball and close RF.

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Round 33, Pick 1007:

Brodie Pullen, 3B, Calhoun HS (GA)

R/R 6'0" 185 10/26/88

Chipola JC, here I come.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Round 34, Pick# 1036:

Jeremy Vinyard, RHP, Boaz HS, (AL)

6'1" 165 8/10/88

Good pick.

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 04:41 PM
If hell has a backwater, it's Boaz, Alabama.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Atlanta took 1B Robert Maddox from Cleveland Villa Angela - St. Joseph the pick before the Reds.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Round 35, Pick# 1065:

Thad Weber, RHP, University of Nebraska-Lincoln (Jr)

R/R 6'2" 205 09/28/84

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 04:52 PM
SS named Ross Wilson was just drafted by the San Diego Padres in this round out of Hoover HS in AL. Isn't that the HS that Travis Wood came from? FIRELEFT - are you on board? Can you confirm?

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Another break before Round 36 it looks like.

redsmetz
06-08-2007, 04:56 PM
SS named Ross Wilson was just drafted by the San Diego Padres in this round out of Hoover HS in AL. Isn't that the HS that Travis Wood came from? FIRELEFT - are you on board? Can you confirm?

According to Baseball Cube, Wood went to Bryant H.S. in Bryant, AR.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 04:58 PM
According to Baseball Cube, Wood went to Bryant H.S. in Bryant, AR.

Thanks, redsmetz. What was I thinking. I knew Wood came from Arkansas and not Alabama. Duh!

Still, Hoover HS in Alabama sounds familiar.

dabvu2498
06-08-2007, 04:59 PM

Alabama signee. Brother is John Parker Wilson, Bama's starting QB.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Hmmm. Just checked on the Baseball Cube and it shows that the only baseball alumnus from Hoover HS in Alambama is a kid named John Parker Wilson who was drafted in the 19th round by Florida in 2004. :dunno:

Topcat

Thought wood was from Arkansas ?

Red Leader
Alabama signee. Brother is John Parker Wilson, Bama's starting QB.

That's it. Thanks, dabvu. I got the name, but still didn't make the connection. Double DUH!

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Thought wood was from Arkansas ?

Yeah, he moved right before the draft. ;) :p:

jesusfan
06-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Vinyard is a great pick...

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Round 36, underway....

redssouth
06-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Hoover HS in AlA is also the high school used in that MTV high school football show. Dont remember the name. Football Powerhouse in ALA.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Round 36, Pick# 1094:

Leon Landry, 3B, Baker HS (LA)

R/R 5"11" 190 09/20/89

RichRed
06-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Round 35, Pick# 1065:

Thad Weber, RHP, University of Nebraska-Lincoln (Jr)

R/R 6'2" 205 09/28/84

Thad'll be the day.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Hoover HS in AlA is also the high school used in that MTV high school football show. Dont remember the name. Football Powerhouse in ALA.

That could have been where I've heard of it as well. I believe they are playing in the Kirk Herbstreit classic this year.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Texas took RHP Brian Dupra in this round. He was a BA Top 200 guy.

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Minnesota takes RHP Dominique Rodgers, a Jr. from Kent St.

Go Flashes!

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Have we taken any OFers? 1? 2? Ah, we can just move SS and 3B out there. No worries.

Padres passed in Round 36. (it'd be nice if someone IN FRONT OF the Reds passed...)

Round 37, Pick# 1122:

Scott Alexander, LHP, Cardinal Newman HS (CA)

6'2" 07/10/89

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 05:21 PM
I'm probably good for one more round, then I'm off for the weekend.

I'll try to get in and update the selections thread with all 50 of the Reds picks tonight or tomorrow so people can look at the entire list at once.

We've had 233 visitors to this thread today. Thanks everyone for your input and help with this. It's been fun. Have a good weekend.

If someone wants to continue posting picks in this thread, go for it.

jesusfan
06-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Alexander was a great pick too...

check this out: http://www.cardinalnewman.org/cardinalnewman.aspx?pgID=916

11larkin11
06-08-2007, 05:23 PM
He was the starting QB on the #1 ranked HS football team in America.

Topcat
06-08-2007, 05:24 PM

Two a days?

Red Leader
06-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Round 37, Pick# 1150:

Ari Ronick, LHP, U of Portland (pedro, woy...) (Jr)

6'4" 205 03/25/86