PDA

View Full Version : The 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft Discussion Thread (Day 1)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Red Leader
06-06-2007, 03:53 PM
This thread is to keep track of all selections, Reds and otherwise, as they are made in the 2007 MLB Amateur Draft. We'll open a second thread for Day 2. Feel free to post pre-draft Reds' draft rumors or other anything else you hear (draft related) in this thread.

Also, if someone wants to post a link in this thread to a live draft tracker when one becomes available via mlb.com or other, that'd be great. I have the day off work and will be watching the draft from home. Enjoy the draft and let's pray the Red's pull some serious talent.

Sea Ray
06-06-2007, 04:03 PM
When does the draft start?

Reds Fanatic
06-06-2007, 04:06 PM
When does the draft start?
I believe it starts around 2 PM ET because ESPN2 is covering the beginning of the draft this year. ESPN2 is covering the draft from 2PM to 6PM ET.

Red Leader
06-06-2007, 04:07 PM
The draft starts tomorrow, Thursday (6/7) at 2pm and for the first time is being broadcast on ESPN2.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070604&content_id=2004277&vkey=draft2007&fext=.jsp

Draft Tracker:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2007/drafttracker.jsp

There will be a live "pop up" draft tracker link available on mlb.com tomorrow. They usually don't put the link up until an hour or two before the draft starts. That's usually what I use to follow the draft.

Reds Fanatic
06-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Here are some more details of the draft schedule for Thursday and Friday:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070604&content_id=2004277&vkey=draft2007&fext=.jsp

MLB.com has always been the first place for First-Year Player Draft fans. While that hasn't changed, a new era in Draft coverage will be ushered in on Thursday.
The Draft joins the television age when ESPN2 airs the first round for the first time on Thursday. The network's coverage will span four hours from The Milk House at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Fla.

That, of course, is just the beginning of the Draft coverage, and MLB.com will cover every pick for the remainder of the two-day event. There will be live multimedia coverage on both days -- in Orlando and MLB.com's New York studios -- on BaseballChannel.TV. In addition, fans can get live interactive pick-by-pick results via the exclusive Draft Tracker. With reporting on all 30 teams, plus national stories and analysis, MLB.com is still the one-stop shopping site for all your Draft needs.

ESPN2's broadcast kicks it all off at 2 p.m. ET and will air each club's first-round choice, with a maximum of five minutes between selections. The telecast will continue as the Draft is ongoing until 6 p.m. Each Major League organization is sending representatives to make the selection official on the broadcast. Hall of Famers Robin Roberts (Philadelphia Phillies), Tommy Lasorda (Los Angeles Dodgers) and Dave Winfield (San Diego Padres) are among the big names who will be in Orlando on Thursday.

"Major League Baseball is delighted that ESPN2 will provide live coverage of our Draft," said Commissioner Bud Selig. "I am glad that this agreement will give fans access to see this critical function of an organization's development. This is an idea whose time has come."

Once ESPN2's coverage ends, MLB.com takes over. At 6:15 p.m., BaseballChannel.TV will have every pick of rounds No. 2-5 and beyond if Major League Baseball goes past five rounds on the first day. No round will begin past 8:30 p.m. ET, and BaseballChannel.TV's coverage will end with the conclusion of the first day. Casey Stern hosts the action with analysts Jonathan Mayo from MLB.com and David Rawnsley from Perfect Game USA. As always, every pick of every round can be heard live exclusively on MLB.com

Day 2 coverage starts up at 11:30 a.m. from New York. Mayo and Perfect Game USA's Allan Simpson will be providing regular updates throughout the day during BaseballChannel.TV's regular programming. In addition, Mayo, Simpson and Seth Everett will do a one-hour show from 2-3 p.m. At 6 p.m., Vinny Micucci will host a one-hour show, again with Mayo and Simpson providing in-depth analysis.

While waiting for the big day, do your homework and check out the 2007 Draft section. From a breakdown of Draft prospects by position to a first-person journal from the presumed No. 1 pick to a number of features on first-round possibles to previews on all 30 teams' Draft philosophies, there's everything you'll need to be ready for when the first pick is announced on Thursday.

Reds Fanatic
06-06-2007, 04:13 PM
The complete draft will also be carried on XM on channel 189.

rdiersin
06-06-2007, 04:17 PM
In the BP chat, someone asked Kevin Goldstein about the Nationals and he mentioned that he thought they would make a big splash and wouldn't go cheap. Makes it sound like the Nats may go for Wieters.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatId=309&nocache=1181161382#new

Red Leader
06-06-2007, 04:18 PM
In the BP chat, someone asked Kevin Goldstein about the Nationals and he mentioned that he thought they would make a big splash and wouldn't go cheap. Makes it sound like the Nats may go for Wieters.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatId=309&nocache=1181161382#new

Maybe we can take him from them for "compensation"
:evil:

M2
06-06-2007, 04:29 PM
I'd like to start mocking the Cubs' selections now even though the picks haven't been made yet.

Red Leader
06-06-2007, 04:30 PM
I'd like to start mocking the Cubs' selections now even though the picks haven't been made yet.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/ggifs/Goat_bw.GIF

rdiersin
06-06-2007, 04:35 PM

Especially if they take Doolittle with their first pick as was rumored a possibility. Are they looking for Mark Grace reincarnate?

Superdude
06-06-2007, 05:00 PM
BP's mock draft has...

-Wieters being taken by the Nats
-Reds taking Aumont and praying Ahrens is still available later
-Porcello being taken by the Twins at #28

I don't know if swinging for the fence on the first pick is a good idea or not considering we've got a lot of guys to sign, but Porcello would be sweet.

M2
06-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Put Porcello in the Wieters boat for me. If he's there at #15, I'd pull the trigger.

OnBaseMachine
06-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Put Porcello in the Wieters boat for me. If he's there at #15, I'd pull the trigger.

Agreed. Can't pass up a talent like that at 15.

dougdirt
06-06-2007, 06:37 PM
I am so P.O.'d right now. My boss walked in today and said 'You have to work until 6:30 either tomorrow or Friday, you can pick.'

Well tomorrow is the draft, and Friday I have tickets for the game. On the bright side though, I get to work all next week 8-6:30..... what was the bright side again? I need a new job.

JaxRed
06-06-2007, 07:50 PM
It will be interesting if the mandatory 5 minutes between picks causes teams (like the Reds) to start having discussions about whether to take certain guys rather than just blindly follow the pre-draft strategy.

For example gambling that Ahrens falls.

reds44
06-06-2007, 07:57 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/images/events/draft/y2007/header_595.jpg
When: June 7-8
Where: Disney's Wide World of Sports (Orlando, FL)
Start Time: 2 PM Eastern Standard Time

Coverage
TV: ESPN 2 (live)
Internet: MLB.com Draft Central (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2007/index.jsp) (live)

First Round Order:
1. Tampa Bay Devil Rays
2. Kansas City Royals
3. Chicago Cubs
4. Pittsburgh Pirates
5. Baltimore Orioles
6. Washington Nationals
7. Milwaukee Brewers
8. Colorado Rockies
9. Arizona Diamondbacks
10. San Francisco Giants
11. Seattle Mariners
12. Florida Marlins
13. Cleveland Indians
14. Atlanta Braves
15. Cincinnati Reds
16. Toronto Blue Jays (from Rangers for type A Catalanotto)
17. Texas Rangers (from Astros for type A Lee)
18. St. Louis Cardinals
19. Philadelphia Phillies
20. Los Angeles Dodgers (from Red Sox for type A Lugo)
21. Toronto Blue Jays
22. San Francisco Giants (from Dodgers for type A Schmidt)
23. San Diego Padres
24. Texas Rangers (from Angels for type A Matthews)
25. Chicago White Sox
26. Oakland A's
27. Detroit Tigers
28. Minnesota Twins
29. San Francisco Giants (from Mets for type A Alou)
30. New York Yankees

Mock Draft

1. Tampa Bay Devil Rays: David Price, LHP, Vanderbilt University
2. Kansas City Royals: Rick Porcello, RHP, Seton Hall Prep (N.J.)
3. Chicago Cubs: Josh Vitters, 3B, Cypress HS (Calif.)
4. Pittsurgh Pirates: Matt Wieters, C, Georgia Tech
5. Baltimore Orioles: Ross Detwiler, LHP, Missouri State
6. Washington Nationals: Max Scherzer, RHP, No school
7. Milwaukee Brewers: Mike Moustakas, SS/3B, Chatsworth HS (Calif.)
8. Colorado Rockies: Daniel Moskos, LHP, Clemson
9. Arizona Diamondbacks: Phillipe Aumont, RHP, Ecole Du Versant Gatineau, Quebec
10. San Francisco Giants: Nick Schmidt, LHP, University of Arkansas
11. Seattle Mariners: Casey Weathers, RHP, Vanderbilt
12. Florida Marlins: Jarrod Parker, RHP, Norwell HS (Ind.)
13. Cleveland Indians: Blake Beavan, RHP, Irving HS (Tex.)
14. Atlanta Braves: Jason Heyward, Henry County HS (Ga.)
15. Cincinnati Reds: Kevin Ahrens, 3B, Memorial HS (Tex.)
16. Toronto Blue Jays: Matt Dominguez, 3B, Chatsworth HS (Calif.)
17. Texas Rangers: Matt Harvey, RHP, Fitch HS (Conn.)
18. St. Louis Cardinals: Jake Arrieta, RHP, Texas Christian University
19. Philadelphia Phillies: Julio Borbon, OF, University of Tennessee
20. Los Angeles Dodgers: Madison Bumgarner, LHP, South Caldwell HS (N.C.)
21. Toronto Blue Jays: Devin Mesoraco, C, Punxsutawney HS (Pa.)
22. San Francisco Giants: Aaron Poreda, LHP, University of San Francisco
23. San Diego Padres: Nick Noonan, SS/2B, Parker HS, San Diego
24. Texas Rangers: Andrew Brackman, RHP, North Carolina State
25. Chicago White Sox: Chris Withrow, RHP, Midland Christian HS (Tex.)
26. Oakland A's: Beau Mills, 3B, Lewis-Clark State
27. Detroit Tigers: Tim Alderson, RHP, Horizon HS, Scottsdale
28. Minnesota Twins: Peter Kozma, SS, Owasso HS (Okla.)
29. San Francisco Giants: Josh Smoker, LHP, Calhoun HS (Ga.)
30. New York Yankees: Matt LaPorta, 1B, University of Florida

Jonathan Mayo is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Full Text (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070530&content_id=1994433&vkey=draft2007&fext=.jsp)

From the same article:

15. Cincinnati Reds: Kevin Ahrens, 3B, Memorial HS (Tex.)
This one falls under the category of hearing a player's name so much with one team that it's both hard to ignore and hard to not wonder if it's true. There was some talk the Reds would also be interested in Aumont should he slide here, but all of the buzz is that they've been on Houston-area infielder Ahrens all along. He plays shortstop in high school and isn't bad there, but the consensus is that he should move to third where he should profile better both offensively and defensively.
Last week's projection: Ahrens

M2
06-06-2007, 08:29 PM
It will be interesting if the mandatory 5 minutes between picks causes teams (like the Reds) to start having discussions about whether to take certain guys rather than just blindly follow the pre-draft strategy.

It sure would be nice to see that happen. It certainly gives someone the chance to note if a guy up near the top of the draft board has fallen into the team's lap.

Eric_Davis
06-07-2007, 12:57 AM
I am so P.O.'d right now. My boss walked in today and said 'You have to work until 6:30 either tomorrow or Friday, you can pick.'

Well tomorrow is the draft, and Friday I have tickets for the game. On the bright side though, I get to work all next week 8-6:30..... what was the bright side again? I need a new job.

Any computer access? :evil:

Flames24Rulz
06-07-2007, 01:06 AM
As a Cub fan, I'm hoping we don't take Vitters. We have a glaring weakness at catcher and I believe Wieters can be that guy to fit the whole.

By the way, solid site.

edabbs44
06-07-2007, 08:10 AM
Big changes? Jim Callis has updated his mock draft and has the Reds selecting...Pete Kozma, high school SS, who is BA's 39th best prospect. That is pretty bad.

He says that they are focused on position players such as Heyward, Borbon, Kozma and Mesoraco. Ahrens is also mentioned as a sandwich-round target.

Oh by the way, this is with Porcello ending up with Texas at 24.

If they take Kozma and Ahrens, I will be pretty disappointed that one of those picks isn't a pitcher. How they can pay $5 million for Stanton and not meet Porcello's demands is sad.

JaxRed
06-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Actually in the latest rankings Kozma is number 24

edabbs44
06-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Actually in the latest rankings Kozma is number 24

My bad...#39 in their top 200 rankings.

cincy09
06-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Kieth Law has changed some things:

2007 First-Round Projection
PICK TEAM PLAYER POS. SCHOOL

1. Devil Rays David Price LHP Vanderbilt
This one's in the bag. There's no deal done but the parameters discussed will work for both sides.

2. Royals Josh Vitters 3B Cypress (Calif.) HS
The Royals seem to have switched focus in the last few days; it's looking very likely that they'll take a high school player, and they still haven't ruled out taking a Boras client. The Royals say that they haven't made a final decision yet, but there's a strong sentiment that they've settled or are close to settling on Vitters and will move him to first base.

3. Cubs Matt Dominguez 3B Chatsworth (Calif.) HS
The Cubs were hoping for Vitters, but he may be gone. They would love to take Wieters, but they can't spend that kind of coin. Tim Wilken typically likes to take top-flight high school hitters in the first round, and Dominguez would be the best one on the board. The Cubs also have serious interest in Jarrod Parker, but they're leaning towards taking a position player.

4. Pirates Ross Detwiler LHP Missouri State
The Pirates were really hoping for Vitters, but Detwiler has been a target for them for weeks. They flew Dominguez in for a workout earlier this week. Pittsburgh could also cut a deal and sign catcher Devin Mesoraco at a discount.

5. Orioles Phillippe Aumont RHP Ecole secondaire du Versant, Gatineau, Quebec
Baltimore's choice is down to Aumont and a college player, assumed to be Wieters. However, ownership has hinted that they may mandate the selection of a college pitcher -- just as they did the year the O's took Wade Townsend and lowballed him. If Detwiler is gone, their options will be limited.

6. Nationals Mike Moustakas SS Chatsworth (Calif.) HS
Most folks I've talked to have this pick as more or less of a lock. Here's my question: If Washington believes that Rick Porcello is the best player in the draft (as I've been told), but that they can't sign him, why would they take Moustakas when his price tag is the same as Porcello's? They're also interested in Daniel Moskos, who would make more sense if they don't want to go way over slot.

7. Brewers Matt Wieters C/RHP Georgia Tech
This isn't a lock, but Milwaukee likes Wieters and needs a catching prospect, anyway. Their top alternatives are Dominguez and Moustakas. Milwaukee's worst-case scenario has Wieters, Dominguez, and Moustakas all gone, in which case they'd look at a deal with Devin Mesoraco.

8. Rockies Jason Heyward CF Henry County HS, McDonough, Ga.
Colorado flew Aumont in for a workout and he threw well, but even if Aumont gets here, they're more likely to go with Heyward or Moskos.

9. Diamondbacks Daniel Moskos LHP Clemson
Moskos is atop Arizona's realistic list for this pick, just ahead of Jarrod Parker and a bit more ahead of Nick Schmidt. Arizona would put Moskos in the bullpen and move him through their system quickly; a lot of teams are concerned that even though Moskos has three and possibly four average pitches, his physique isn't suited for starting.

10. Giants Jarrod Parker RHP Norwell HS, Ossian, Ind.
Expect San Francisco to take a premium arm here, especially since most of them will still be on the board for this pick. Parker is the best non-Boras prep arm in the draft and has a case to be the best overall.

11. Mariners Nick Schmidt LHP Arkansas
Seattle is looking at Schmidt and closer Casey Weathers; either way, their plan is to rush the player to the big leagues, possibly as soon as Labor Day.

12. Marlins Madison Bumgarner LHP South Caldwell HS, Hudson, N.C.
Bumgarner is one of the hot names of the moment, sitting at or near the top of the boards for Florida, Cleveland and Atlanta. Florida would love it if Aumont reached them, and they also like Parker.

13. Indians Blake Beavan RHP Irving (Texas) HS
Cleveland is also keeping its options open, with Bumgarner and Beavan high on their lists, as well as Moskos and Beau Mills.

14. Braves Josh Smoker LHP Calhoun (Ga.) HS
Atlanta would prefer to get Bumgarner here, but I don't see that happening. Smoker's reduced velocity in his last two starts has scared away a number of teams.

15. Reds Casey Weathers RHP Vanderbilt
The Reds may have to go with a college pitcher here; they like Moskos and Schmidt, but both will be gone as will Beavan. They also like Julio Borbon here.

16. Blue Jays Beau Mills 3B/1B Lewis-Clark State
The Jays are looking above them and noticing that someone's likely to fall; if the Reds go with Borbon, the Jays could take Weathers here instead.

17. Rangers Tim Alderson RHP Horizon HS, Scottsdale, Ariz.
Texas would love to get Beavan here, and they might go with another high school arm instead, such as Alderson. I've heard Chris Withrow linked to them, but that's probably for the sandwich round.

18. Cardinals Matt Harvey RHP Fitch HS, Groton, Conn.
Harvey's price tag, while above slot, isn't in the stratosphere like Porcello's is. Expect St. Louis to take a high school player or a high-risk/high-reward college guy in the first, then to draft more conservatively after that.

19. Phillies Michael Burgess RHP/RF Hillsborough HS, Tampa, Fla.
No big changes here. Top alternative is Mesoraco. They would consider Mills and make him a left fielder.

20. Dodgers Travis Mattair OF Southridge HS, Kennewick, Wash.
The Dodgers have been in on a number of top high school players, including Mesoraco, Bumgarner, Beavan and Derek Norris, but Mattair appears to have moved up their lists, especially after having a very strong workout at their stadium over the weekend.

21. Blue Jays Peter Kozma SS Owasso (Okla.) HS
The Blue Jays appear to be focused on acquiring a shortstop with one of their top three picks, and Kozma has moved ahead of Nick Noonan on their board.

22. Giants Aaron Poreda LHP San Francisco
Poreda has been tied to the Giants for a long time just because he pitches in their backyard, but they legitimately like the tall left-hander, who is near the top of the college board in velocity.

23. Padres James Simmons RHP UC Riverside
The Pads are on a small set of college arms here. Poreda may be their top guy, but he's probably gone. James Adkins is also a possibility.

24. Rangers Julio Borbon CF Tennessee
Texas could take Borbon at 17, but it's not likely he'll go between their picks, so look for them to play the board a little bit and try to nab him here. I've heard they're on Withrow -- a Texas high school pitcher -- but that's probably not until the sandwich round.

25. White Sox Nick Noonan SS Parker HS, San Diego
The White Sox are looking to emphasize up-the-middle players and arms. Alderson is a top choice, but he doesn't seem likely to get here.

26. Athletics James Adkins LHP Tennessee
The surprise here is that they're considering Joe Savery, a starting pitcher from Rice who's already had one shoulder operation and who, like other Rice pitchers, has been worked very hard when he wasn't hurt.

27. Tigers Andrew Brackman RHP North Carolina State
Detroit hasn't shied away from big-ticket players in recent years, going over slot in three of the last four first rounds -- and they also have a working relationship with Boras. They haven't gone in heavy for high school arms, so while they might consider Porcello, Brackman's a little more likely.

28. Twins Drew Cumberland SS Pace HS, Milton, Fla.
Minnesota is on several raw high school players, but Cumberland appears to be gaining favor because he's not as raw as Will Middlebrooks or John Gilmore. Cumberland is a plus runner who has had a hamstring problem for most of the last month.

29. Giants Wendell Fairley OF/RHP George County HS, Lucedale, Miss.
Fairley also played in the All-American game; he has a great, easy swing, and should hit for big power. This is a top-half of the first round talent falling because of some makeup concerns, but it's a potential steal for whoever takes him low.

30. Yankees Rick Porcello RHP Seton Hall Prep, West Orange, N.J.
I think the Yankees are just waiting to see who falls to them, and if it's a Boras client and they have to pay over slot, so be it. If they don't take Porcello or Brackman, they might look at college catching.

edabbs44
06-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Weathers would be a great pick.

Red Leader
06-07-2007, 09:37 AM
I agree. I'd like the Weathers pick.

HBP
06-07-2007, 09:38 AM
I think there's about a 1% chance Julio Borbon is the pick. I don't see them going OF early at all.

edabbs44
06-07-2007, 09:40 AM

And it would be a great story if he and his father could pitch in the same game next season.

dabvu2498
06-07-2007, 09:41 AM

Word. It's good to be gold.

http://cache.secsports.com/new/sports/fbc/logos/van.jpg

Red Leader
06-07-2007, 09:43 AM
I think there's about a 1% chance Julio Borbon is the pick. I don't see them going OF early at all.

I'm hoping the chances are less than that.

ochoa30
06-07-2007, 09:52 AM
I just have this feeling that were all going to be very dissapointed again. Look for it to be kozma or borbon.:rolleyes:

edabbs44
06-07-2007, 09:54 AM
I just have this feeling that were all going to be very dissapointed again. Look for it to be kozma or borbon.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I have that feeling. But I think Ahrens or Kozma. I just can't believe that this FO would take an OF. Unless that OF was a Griffet like prospect, they'd have to pass.

Kc61
06-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Borbon, Weathers. These names are deja vu all over again.

I wouldn't mind Kozma. From reading, Kozma is a true shortstop who hits. I view shortstop as an organizational weakness for the club. Valaika is not going to be a shortstop, only Janish really fills that position. Kozma likely won't be there are 34 since he is climbing the charts.

But I expect the Reds to take a college player, as Buckley tends to do. So I think the Weathers and Borbon predictions are more likely.

mound_patrol
06-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Has there been anything from the front office of the Reds mentioning their draft stategy. Can we expect the Reds to dish out cash to get the better players, or are we going for signability?

edabbs44
06-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Has there been anything from the front office of the Reds mentioning their draft stategy. Can we expect the Reds to dish out cash to get the better players, or are we going for signability?

I'll give you one guess.

New Fever
06-07-2007, 10:31 AM
mlb.com has The Reds pick Matt Dominguez:

15. Cincinnati Reds: Matt Dominguez, 3B, Chatsworth HS
For a long time, it looked like the Reds were locked into Kevin Ahrens, but that appears not to be the case. They'd be thrilled if Devin Mesoraco were around, but he won't be, so they'll go with Dominguez, a pretty good high school player in his own right, with a strong bat and even stronger glove at the hot corner.
Last projection: Kevin Ahrens

mound_patrol
06-07-2007, 10:32 AM
I'll give you one guess.

Thats what I figured, It just seems like a lot of players are dropping that are highly regarded. Hope the Reds can dish out for their first pick atleast.

lollipopcurve
06-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Interesting diversity of predictions....

I'd see Kozma as the most typical of Buckley -- solid middle infielder. I think I'd be most disappointed in Weathers, because, as a college senior, he sounds like a signability pick.

JaxRed
06-07-2007, 10:35 AM
So if you were bummed that everyone said the same thing last year (Stubbs)...

This year you have:

BA - Kozma
Law - Weathers
MLB - Dominguez
Yahoo - Borbon

Red Leader
06-07-2007, 10:39 AM
I just think Kozma out of those three is a signability pick. I haven't seen any pre-draft rankings that have Kozma above #40 or so. Not saying that all of those services that publish rankings know what they are talking about, but if you do trust them, Kozma is kind of a reach pick for the Reds at #15. Dominguez and Weathers, and even Ahrens are sure bet 1st rounders in all rankings I've seen. I also like the mention of Mesoraco in the mlb.com write up, although he'll likely be gone (as they said) by the time the Reds pick.

It'd be so nice to see the Reds draft a Top 5 talent player that has fallen for a change. Until I see that one year, I won't take the Reds seriously when they say they are building through the draft.

1st round - Wieters and Porcello likely to fall because of signability.

I wouldn't touch Brackman unless he fell to the Reds in the 2nd round. Not the Supp. pick, the 2nd round. I, too, believe he's going to fall apart and be an injury nightmare his whole career.

dabvu2498
06-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Weathers is sort of a signability pick as he has exhausted his eligibility at Vandy.

camisadelgolf
06-07-2007, 10:43 AM
My money is on Dominguez.

JaxRed
06-07-2007, 10:43 AM
I just think Kozma out of those three is a signability pick. I haven't seen any pre-draft rankings that have Kozma above #40 or so.

Latest BA rankings have Ahrens 22, Kozma 24 (and rising) and Weathers 18

Red Leader
06-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Weathers is sort of a signability pick as he has exhausted his eligibility at Vandy.

But, he's got 1st round talent.

dabvu2498
06-07-2007, 10:50 AM

No matter what happens because of the number of picks the Reds have in the first 5 rounds, I don't think you'll see them draft college freshmen, sophmores, or juniors. If they take a college player, it'll be a senior, unless they are planning on just punting that pick, IMO.

Are there many college seniors that have top 5 round talent this season?

Red Leader
06-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Latest BA rankings have Ahrens 22, Kozma 24 (and rising) and Weathers 18

You're right. I don't know what I was thinking. BA originally had Kozma at #39 in their Top 200. I still would prefer another pick, and I'm guessing that they will take a college player instead of a high school player with their first pick, but I've been surprised before. The only pick I think I'd absolutely hate at #15 that I've heard the Reds having interest in is Borbon.

I also would hate to see the Reds go signability with the first two picks and draft players well ahead of where they should be taken with those first two picks. If you're going to reach with pick #15, then try and grab someone that has fallen to you at #34 to "bridge the gap."

Puffy
06-07-2007, 10:53 AM

No matter what happens because of the number of picks the Reds have in the first 5 rounds, I don't think you'll see them draft college freshmen, sophmores, or juniors. If they take a college player, it'll be a senior, unless they are planning on just punting that pick, IMO.

Did they change the eligibility rules? I thought once you went to college you couldn't be drafted until three years later, i.e, after your junior year or if you got a redshirt then after your sophomore year.

When did this change?

dabvu2498
06-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Personally, I'd love to see Adkins from Tennessee at 34.

dabvu2498
06-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Did they change the eligibility rules? I thought once you went to college you couldn't be drafted until three years later, i.e, after your junior year or if you got a redshirt then after your sophomore year.

When did this change?

It didn't. RL just lost his mind.

Red Leader
06-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Are there many college seniors that have top 5 round talent this season?

Looking at the first round there are 2 of them (LaPorta and Weathers). Beyond that, ummm, not much... :doh:

*Because I have the power to do so, I'm going to go back, edit all of my posts and yours and make myself appear intelligent. I'll see you guys in about 10 hours. :laugh:

Puffy
06-07-2007, 11:02 AM
It didn't. RL just lost his mind.

And he wants to be our minor league dictator...

Interesting

Red Leader
06-07-2007, 11:02 AM

When did this change?

Arguing with 2 freaking lawyers over fine print. :fineprint

:whiteflag:

;) :laugh:

Benihana
06-07-2007, 11:17 AM
according to the Reds website, they now favor Moustakas and Detweiler. Granted neither will probably fall that far, but I found it interesting:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070529&content_id=1992430&vkey=draft2007&fext=.jsp

Red Leader
06-07-2007, 11:19 AM
And he wants to be our minor league dictator...

Interesting

OK, it's me, Red Leader.

Sorry about those earlier posts. Chip hacked into my account and started posting a bunch of garbage. I've notified Boss and taken care of the problem.

That Chip, always joking around...

:p:

Puffy
06-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Good news everyone - according to our minor league forum leader, The gregarious Red Leader, for signability reasons the Reds will not be drafting any 6th, 7th, 8th graders, nor any HS freshman, sophomores, juniors, nor college freshman or sophomores.

All Hail Red Leader!

Puffy
06-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Here ya go RL - you might need this to tell me how you hate us guys

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/825505/Cartman.jpg

Red Leader
06-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Good news everyone - according to our minor league forum leader, The gregarious Red Leader, for signability reasons the Reds will not be drafting any 6th, 7th, 8th graders, nor any HS freshman, sophomores, juniors, nor college freshman or sophomores.

All Hail Red Leader!

You are correct.

Also, we'll be going hard after foreign players in this draft. That's what I've been told at least.

Benihana
06-07-2007, 11:33 AM
just a thought, but shouldn't we have a "real" draft thread where there aren't >5 pages before the 1st pick is even made? It would be nice to have for quicker reference.

KoryMac5
06-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Rumors flying all over the place a lot different than last year when everyone knew we were taking Stubbs.

Interesting tidbits picked up from RedsReporter:

Nick Schmidt, LHP, Arkansas
The Schmidt rumor has popped up in a few places, with the Reds taking the big polished lefty ace from the SEC. Schmidt has a plus fastball and a plus changeup to go with excellent command. Some may say it's an overdraft because he's listed in most places in the 22-28 range, but it's not overdrafting if you get the guy you really wanted

Blake Beavan, RHP, HSBaseball America reports that the Reds would love to see Beavan fall to them, but it's highly likely that someone will take him before 15. Big 6'7 righty with a nasty 96mph heater and pinpoint control.

Az. Reds Fan
06-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Nice article about Kozma...

SHERRY BROWN / Tulsa World
Pete Kozma

By LYNN JACOBSEN World Sports Writer
4/18/2007
Last Modified: 4/18/2007 2:45 AM

Owasso has produced some of the state’s top baseball players in recent years. Pete Kozma may be the best.

OWASSO -- Add Pete Kozma to the growing list of major league baseball talent from Owasso.

Fourteen former Rams have or are currently playing professional baseball.

In the past two weeks Kozma has had private workouts with Texas, Detroit, Boston, Minnesota, Toronto and the New York Yankees in anticipation of the June amateur draft.

While that might be heavy stuff for most 18-year-olds, the senior shortstop is taking it all in stride.

"I try not to think about (the draft)," he said. "Nobody really knows where a player is going until maybe the night before."

As for the workouts, Kozma admitted he was pretty nervous.

"At each one I was a little more relaxed," he said. "I did all right in the first couple of workouts but I thought I did better in the last couple."

A projected first to third round pick, Kozma could be the highest draft choice ever to come out of the Rams' program.

"That's what we've heard," Owasso coach Larry Turner said. "There is much more interest in Pete than there was in any of our previous guys.

"Pete is a quiet guy, he's very unassuming. We've talked to him a lot about the fact that he has a rare opportunity, that he could be set for life."

Kozma has a back-up plan in place should the major league gig fall through. He signed with Wichita State in the fall.

"We'll just have to see what happens," he said. "Right now I'm thinking about school. When the draft comes around, I'll talk about that with my parents (Elaine and Robert). But I don't want to think about the draft right now."

Currently, he is focused on getting the Rams a Class 6A championship.

Owasso reached the finals the last two years, losing to Union in both title games. As a freshman, Kozma was on the roster when Owasso defeated Edmond North for the 2004 championship.

"That was the unbelievable feeling," Kozma said. "I can't even describe it and I wasn't even playing -- it was just amazing."

Batting a team-best .500, Kozma also leads the team in hits (35), runs scored (32), home runs (5), triples (4), stolen bases (7), doubles (12) and is second in RBIs (30). Remarkably, he has just one strikeout in 84 plate appearances.

"My senior year has been okay," he said. "I don't focus on the numbers. I just go out there and play. If you get all wrapped up in that stuff your head starts to spin and that's all you are thinking about. It messes you up at the plate."

A three-year starter, Kozma came into this final high school season with a .477 career batting average.

He posted unbelievable numbers as a junior -- 63 hits, 11 home runs, 19 doubles, 11 stolen bases. His .553 average is the best all-time in Rams history.

His philosophy at the plate is simple.

"Before I step in the batter's box, I clear my mind of everything," he said. "When I'm on deck I'll study the pitcher, see what his sequence is so I'm ready when I step in."

He uses the same calming philosophy on defense or even when playing video games with buddies Craig Meyer and Jarrod Huneryeager. Their favorite game is Tiger Woods 2007.

"I'm pretty good," he said with a smile. "I hold my own."

"Petey never gets excited," Huneryeager said. "He doesn't even get excited about video games. He's the same when he loses as when he wins. It's pretty cool that I got to play baseball with a guy who could be a millionaire in a month or so."

Turner's cell phone rings constantly and the majority of those calls are scouts interested in Kozma.

"It's been unbelievable," Turner said. "If we had had 2-3 more days in Florida he probably could have worked out for every team that has spring training there.

"We've even had assistant general managers and vice presidents of baseball operations come in to see Pete. The Tigers and Rangers have been here multiple times."

Assistant coach Steve Holleman maintains Owasso's Web site to keep scouts informed of where they can watch Kozma.

"That's helped some, but teams call every day making sure he hasn't rolled an ankle or make sure he's playing on that particular day," Turner said.

Kozma has no favorites when it comes to the draft, preferring to keep his options open.

However, he said, "My dad is a huge Tigers fan. I have to admit I liked what they did last year."

Kozma said his senior year hasn't been anything special yet.

"So far, I've done my business, nothing spectacular."

OesterPoster
06-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Rumors flying all over the place a lot different than last year when everyone knew we were taking Stubbs.

The Schmidt rumor has popped up in a few places, with the Reds taking the big polished lefty ace from the SEC. Schmidt has a plus fastball and a plus changeup to go with excellent command. Some may say it's an overdraft because he's listed in most places in the 22-28 range, but it's not overdrafting if you get the guy you really wanted

Blake Beavan, RHP, HSBaseball America reports that the Reds would love to see Beavan fall to them, but it's highly likely that someone will take him before 15. Big 6'7 righty with a nasty 96mph heater and pinpoint control.

I like both of those picks. Schmidt is very polished, a true "pitcher" and not a "thrower". Beavan has tremendous upside, as he's another one of the Texas high school flamethrowers.

Red Leader
06-07-2007, 11:37 AM
just a thought, but shouldn't we have a "real" draft thread where there aren't >5 pages before the 1st pick is even made? It would be nice to have for quicker reference.

Thought about that.

Maybe have this be the discussion thread. Maybe have another thread for just selections and then another thread of just Reds picks?

Puffy
06-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Yeah, a separate thread listing just the picks would be good. Maybe one only you can post in RL

Then this thread we can discuss

Red Leader
06-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Yeah, a separate thread listing just the picks would be good. Maybe one only you can post in RL

Then this thread we can discuss

I'm going home in 15 minutes. I likely won't be online posting picks, but I'll be watching on ESPN2.

I'll start a MLB Amateur Draft Selection Thread and sticky it.

KoryMac5
06-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Quote from Casey Weathers on his mentality towards closing:

Although the recent trend in Major League Baseball of closers sprinting to the mound from the bullpen as their home crowd erupts to the sound of heavy metal gives the impression that closers need to get their adrenaline pumping in order to perform at the highest level, Weathers subscribes to a different approach.

"The key is to stay as calm as possible," Weathers said. "I think the more pumped up you get, you tend to get a little out of whack. I just have to stay relaxed and treat it like I'm just throwing in the bullpen."

Sounds like a smart kid and would be a solid choice for the Reds at 15. Good fastball and wicked slider to go with a great mentality.

George Anderson
06-07-2007, 11:54 AM
10. Giants Jarrod Parker RHP Norwell HS, Ossian, Ind.
Expect San Francisco to take a premium arm here, especially since most of them will still be on the board for this pick. Parker is the best non-Boras prep arm in the draft and has a case to be the best overall.

I umpired a game this kid pitched in Indianapolis and he was phenomenal!!! He throws in the 90's and a very nice curve ball. Should he be there when the Reds pick, they need to get him!!

dabvu2498
06-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Quote from Casey Weathers on his mentality towards closing:

Sounds like a smart kid

Obviously. He went to Vanderbilt.

edabbs44
06-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Jim Callis reports the Royals appear to have settled on Mike Moustakaswith the No. 2 overall pick. That slides Josh Vitters to the Cubs at No. 3. The Royals appeared to have settled on Vitters at 2 last night, but they now have changed their minds. Indiana prep righty Jarrod Parker is the odd-man out in this scenario, dropping from the Cubs at 3, probably to the Diamondbacks at 9 or Giants at 10. He won’t get past the Marlins at 12.
This leaves the Orioles as the biggest question mark in the first five picks. Stay tuned.

cincy09
06-07-2007, 12:33 PM
The anticipation is killing me

I just hope I'm not incredibly dissapointed!

NC Reds
06-07-2007, 12:41 PM
I will be stuck at work all afternoon. I want to thank everyone in advance for their contributions to this thread. It is much appreciated.

Why am I filled with dread over this draft?? I just don't trust anybody involved in the process.

KronoRed
06-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Draft on TV..this is gonna be GREAT!

Until the Reds pick that is.

Doc. Scott
06-07-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm against the Weathers idea on general principle. The Reds do not qualify in my mind as the type of club that would benefit from a fast-to-the-majors reliever over a high-upside, longer-range pick.

Puffy
06-07-2007, 12:55 PM
The anticipation is killing me

I just hope I'm not incredibly dissapointed!

Ahhhhhh, the credo of every girl I ever was about to sleep with for the first time.

Followed by, "Yup, incredibly disappointed."

OesterPoster
06-07-2007, 12:56 PM
How much time does each team get for their pick? I'm just trying to get an estimate on when the Reds will be on the clock.

Doc. Scott
06-07-2007, 12:57 PM
There are supposed to be just five minutes maximum between picks. In other words, much faster than the NFL draft.

cincy09
06-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Ahhhhhh, the credo of every girl I ever was about to sleep with for the first time.

Yaeh, but was it good for you? :cool:

M2
06-07-2007, 01:04 PM
While I'm a sucker for shortstops, I like my first round position players to come with a big toolbox and Kozma just doesn't have one. I'm willing to overlook that if a looks like he'll beat the living snot out of the baseball (e.g. Matt LaPorta), but Kozma doesn't project to do that either.

M2
06-07-2007, 01:05 PM

Key words in that post - "about to"

Az. Reds Fan
06-07-2007, 01:06 PM
There are supposed to be just five minutes maximum between picks. In other words, much faster than the NFL draft.

But much slower than the rapid fire previous years of the draft.

Benihana
06-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Law now has the Reds taking Weathers. He also notes that they like Borbon. My nightmare is coming true.:bang::bang:

reds44
06-07-2007, 01:11 PM

If he is a "polished college" pitcher, what does that mean for his ETA to the majors?

Can't wrong with Beavan either. A 6-7 flame thrower, who can't use one of those?

The only name I've seen so far that's made me say NO, is the Borbon.

OesterPoster
Law now has the Reds taking Weathers. He also notes that they like Borbon. My nightmare is coming true.:bang::bang:

It's all a smokescreen. Serenity now! Serenity now! :laugh:

reds44
What don't you like about Weathers?

NorrisHopper30
06-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Anyone have the inside info on Weiters, any chance he falls into our laps, and would we not draft him on 'signability'?

Az. Reds Fan
06-07-2007, 01:12 PM
PLEEEEEZE no Borbon!

Weathers I can deal with (barely), but please no Borbon.

edabbs44
06-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Anyone have the inside info on Weiters, any chance he falls into our laps, and would we not draft him on 'signability'?

You don't need inside info to know that they won't draft him.

NorrisHopper30
06-07-2007, 01:13 PM

I'm officially depressed. A Catcher is really what we need, we have Votto, Phillips, Valaika(Janish), Edwin, Bruce, Stubbs, Hamilton for our defensive and offensive lineup of the future, all we need is a catcher and rp/sp(s).

I can't argue with a pick of a pitcher, but i'd really love to see us get a C.

reds44
06-07-2007, 01:14 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dang.

ochoa30
06-07-2007, 01:14 PM

He may fall but they almost certaintly would not take him because of money. He wants like 5 times more the the reds have ever payed for a draft pick. Its pretty unlikely.

Puffy
06-07-2007, 01:15 PM
What don't you like about Weathers?

I'm assuming its because he is a college reliever.

In other words, currently he is a one inning guy. And drafting college relievers, lately, has been mostly downside for the picking teams.

reds44
06-07-2007, 01:17 PM

In other words, currently he is a one inning guy. And drafting college relievers, lately, has been mostly downside for the picking teams.
Wasn't Watson a college reliever?

Puffy
06-07-2007, 01:17 PM
While I'm a sucker for shortstops, I like my position players to come with a big toolbox

Dude - this is a family forum.

BRM
06-07-2007, 01:20 PM

:laugh:

Only the sick minds at RedsZone...

Puffy
06-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Wasn't Watson a college reliever?

Watson wasn't a first rounder, therein lies the key distinction.

And I'm not saying I'd hate the pick, just what I think Benihana is thinking with the "hate" the pick thinking

Benihana
06-07-2007, 01:25 PM

And I'm not saying I'd hate the pick, just what I think Benihana is thinking with the "hate" the pick thinking

Exactly. There are four players I do NOT want to see the Reds take at #15- Brett Cecil, Nick Schmidt, Casey Weathers, and Julio Borbon.

According to Law, we are strongly considering three of the four. :thumbdown

reds44
06-07-2007, 01:25 PM

Sure he wasn't a first rounder, but he has turned into one of the Reds best starting pitching prospects, and is tearing up Dayton right now.

NJReds
06-07-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm officially depressed. A Catcher is really what we need, we have Votto, Phillips, Valaika(Janish), Edwin, Bruce, Stubbs, Hamilton for our defensive and offensive lineup of the future, all we need is a catcher and rp/sp(s).

I can't argue with a pick of a pitcher, but i'd really love to see us get a C.

If it's any consolation, mlb.com projects the Reds picking a catcher:

15. Cincinnati Reds: Devin Mesoraco, C, Punxsatawney HS (Pa.)
The Reds will be happy Mesoraco, one of the better all-around catchers in the class, will still be around for them.

M2
06-07-2007, 01:26 PM

Don't make me quote the Meatmen. I'll do it.

dabvu2498
06-07-2007, 01:29 PM

Weathers was a little better than your average 1 inning guy. 31 appearances 49.1 IP.

reds44
06-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Weathers was a little better than your average 1 inning guy. 31 appearances 49.1 IP.
Just to stay with the Watson comparisons, Watson appeard in 29 games with 41 innings in 2006 for the Vols. However, Watson started 20 games in his 3 years, an I don't know about Weathers.

NorrisHopper30
06-07-2007, 01:36 PM
If it's any consolation, mlb.com projects the Reds picking a catcher:

Is he the 2nd overall C behind Weiters?

jmcclain19
06-07-2007, 01:36 PM

Who ever wrote that over on RR was obviously a genius.

jmcclain19
06-07-2007, 01:49 PM
One fun note - Chris Buckley has only ever taken College Position players with his 1st round picks.

Hello Borbon

edabbs44
06-07-2007, 01:55 PM
One fun note - Chris Buckley has only ever taken College Position players with his 1st round picks.

Hello Borbon

Thanks for killing the anticipation.

Maybe he knows that the rules will be changed in a few years and a short-fielder will be added to every team?

jmcclain19
06-07-2007, 01:59 PM
I got my TV setup in my office to watch Yao Ming...er...the draft whenver it comes on.

Bring on the wild speculation of the draft!

Gallen5862
06-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Just about time for the draft to start.

Topcat
06-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Here we go!:beerme:

jmcclain19
06-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Amusing note on the ESPN bottom line.

REDS: No Reds 1st round pick is currently on Reds roster.

Awesome

reds44
06-07-2007, 02:05 PM
ESPN: Reds have no original 1st round pick's on the current 25 man roster.

Obvioulsy, that will change tomorrow.

Reds Freak
06-07-2007, 02:08 PM
So does the baseball draft have a Mel Kiper now that it is on ESPN?

reds44
06-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Steve Phillips!

flyer85
06-07-2007, 02:09 PM
this sure has slowed it down

larks
06-07-2007, 02:09 PM
I guess Keith Law

jmcclain19
06-07-2007, 02:10 PM

Actually looks interesting - they have Gammons, Keith Law, Jim Callis, and some other commentator I've never heard of in my life.

Law, Callis and Gammons are all good choices

Here comes Bud

Reds Freak
06-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Steve Phillips!

IMO, Steve Phillips doesn't have the hair to matchup with Kiper...

jmcclain19
06-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Rays now on the clock. Don Zimmer phonning the war room

jesusfan
06-07-2007, 02:11 PM
well... enough commericals...

flyer85
06-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Rays now on the clock. Don Zimmer phonning the war roomhow much "clock" do they get?

Matt700wlw
06-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Steve Phillips and Peter Gammons, or Chris Berman and Mel Kiper...

I'm glad I watch in "mute" :D

jesusfan
David Price 1st pick... duh

jmcclain19
Uncomfortable Bud calls out the DRays pick of David Price

reds44
06-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Price looks stunned.

jmcclain19
how much "clock" do they get?

5 minutes

jmcclain19
what sucks - is last year we'd probably almost be thru half of the 1st round by now.

flyer85
06-07-2007, 02:17 PM
5 minutes
that will make this boring as hell

larks
06-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Yeah no suprise here. Im guessing the Royals go with Moustakas next.

Matt700wlw
06-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Amusing note on the ESPN bottom line.

REDS: No Reds 1st round pick is currently on Reds roster.

Awesome

Until tomorrow

rdiersin
this sure has slowed it down

As a fan, I sure liked it better before when it happened faster. I could care less about it being on TV. However, if the mandatory 5 minutes makes the Reds think before drafting it might be good. Or it could be bad.

jesusfan
that will make this boring as hell

Did you happen to watch the NFL draft... I had enough time to take my Praxis Test before the Bengals picked... lol

flyer85
06-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Yeah no suprise here. Im guessing the Royals go with Moustakas next.it that Mickey

jesusfan
I'm guessing the Royals go with Rick Porcello...

Matt700wlw
As a fan, I sure liked it better before when it happened faster. I could care less about it being on TV. However, if the mandatory 5 minutes makes the Reds think before drafting it might be good. Or it could be bad.

In 1992 they thought too hard and passed up Derek Jeter...who, 1 pick later, went to the Yankees.

larks
06-07-2007, 02:21 PM
I'm guessing the Royals go with Rick Porcello...

yeah forgot about Porcello. here we go

jesusfan
good call....

jmcclain19
Here we go - Royals take....Mike Moustakas

KronoRed
Are these fan for hire? I find it hard to believe that the D-rays and Royals have enough fans in Bristol to make noise

larks
It was Moustakas. I guess the Royals bought into Boras's comps to A-Rod here

reds44
06-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Reach.

larks
06-07-2007, 02:23 PM
With Moustakas gone Id imagine the Cubs go with Vitters though Id love to see those Doolittle rumours have actual merit.

larks
06-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Are these fan for hire? I find it hard to believe that the D-rays and Royals have enough fans in Bristol to make noise

Its actually down in Orlando so that explains the D-Rays fans.

jmcclain19

It's a sound track and cardboard cutouts

Topcat
I am a little surprised that they chose Moutstakas . I figured the Royals need more pitching.

KronoRed
Just thinking here (during the commercial) that this would be infinitely more exciting if signability was taken out of the picture with money based on slot, and if picks could be traded.

jmcclain19
06-07-2007, 02:25 PM
The last couple of years - Jim Callis has been dead on with the first dozen or so picks.

We're now 2 in and he's 1 for 2 in 2007.

KronoRed
Its actually down in Orlando so that explains the D-Rays fans.

Ahh, the description on the channel guide says Bristol :confused:

Joseph
Just thinking here (during the commercial) that this would be infinitely more exciting if signability was taken out of the picture with money based on slot, and if picks could be traded.

Soon my friend soon they will do that.

jesusfan
06-07-2007, 02:26 PM
If the Cubs dont go Porcello they are crazy...

larks
I am a little surprised that they chose Moutstakas . I figured the Royals need more pitching.

Im guessing they were worried about Porcello's durability.

jesusfan
Vitters to Cubbies...

jmcclain19
06-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Vitters to the Cubs - this is now a carbon copy of the NFL Draft. Selig & Vitters up in front, Vitters wearing the Cubs hat and holding the Cubs jersey, smiling for the cameras.

reds44
Apparently the Cubs were negotiating with Jarrod Parker, but with Vitters still on the board they could go for him now instead. According to the BA blog here, http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/

larks
no suprise. he's been linked to him for a while. The only question was if the Royals would take him.

Reds Freak
06-07-2007, 02:29 PM
I didn't realize Dominguez and Moustakas were on the same high school team. Wow...

jmcclain19
06-07-2007, 02:30 PM
I didn't realize Dominguez and Moustakas were on the same high school team. Wow...

And last year they had Reds pick Josh Ravin as well.

Their HS is a California baseball monster

larks
06-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Punxsatawney Phil next? I think Pirates go for local product Devin Mesoraco next.. though I hoping he is still around for the Reds at 15

larks
06-07-2007, 02:31 PM

Pretty good left side of the infield

jmcclain19
06-07-2007, 02:32 PM
And the Pirates next TJ victim will be....Daniel Moskos

Reds Freak
06-07-2007, 02:32 PM
And last year they had Reds pick Josh Ravin as well.

Their HS is a California baseball monster

Didn't realize that either, that's just not fair..

larks
06-07-2007, 02:33 PM

My thoughts exactly. :) Thats why I thought they would go with a position player.

Topcat
Wow my choice in mock draft went 4th overall :D

KronoRed
A moment of silence for Moskos's arm

Topcat
06-07-2007, 02:35 PM

bite your tongue or I will be fired as a mock gm drafter;)

jmcclain19
06-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Kevin Goldstein over at Baseball Prospectus is saying that he doesn't know anyone who rated Moskos over Ross Detwiler.

larks
06-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Seriously they may need a memorial outside PNC for all the fallen arms of Pirates drafts. Bullington, Van Benschoten, Burnett, Lincoln. Am I missing anyone?

KronoRed
06-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Keep falling Detwiler, keep falling :pray:

jmcclain19
06-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Baltimore - Matt Wieters

Wow - first real surprise of the draft

Cyclone792
And there goes Wieters to the Orioles.

larks
And the O's take.... wow Matt Wieters C...G Tech.... sticking it to their rival Nationals.

jmcclain19
06-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Did not see that coming.

Bravo O's

jesusfan
Good pick right there...

KronoRed
I just can't see Angelos bowing down to Boras, this will be messy

lollipopcurve
06-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Glad the Os took him -- keep these guys with big demands from steering themselves to certain franchises.

larks
06-07-2007, 02:39 PM

Couldnt happen to a better owner and agent

IslandRed
06-07-2007, 02:40 PM

The O's may be the first ones to stare down Boras and put the new draft rules to the test.

lollipopcurve
06-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Will Nats take Aumont? Wouldn't mind seeing him fall....

Farney
06-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Can someone give me a link to a website with some free content about the top draft prospects? I had one earlier but I cant seem to find it now.

jmcclain19
06-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Jim Callis - excellent baseball analyst - horrible TV Presence.

Jim, its your christmas, it's ok to crack a smile, or even a smirk.

jesusfan
http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewDraftArchive.do?draftId=5
I like this, you can click on each player for a little bio...

larks
The Leatherpants with Ross Detwiler, dang

cincy09
crap

KronoRed
06-07-2007, 02:43 PM
I picked the same guy as Bowden

I need a shower

jmcclain19
06-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Nats take.....Ross Detwiler

And he's there. More NFL-esq stylings. Nats cap & jersey come out, more smiling mug shots with Bud

larks
06-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Im suprised even with the concerns about his sustainability that Porcello hasnt been picked yet.

cincy09
06-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Im suprised even with the concerns about his sustainability that Porcello hasnt been picked yet.

he could fall all the way to the yankees at 30

Benihana
06-07-2007, 02:45 PM

its because of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. isn't it always?

jesusfan
If Jason Heyward is still there I say pick him up...

Benihana

he'll go to atlanta one pick before us:bang:

Matt700wlw
06-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Nats take.....Ross Detwiler

Poor kid...about to get his arm ruined by a Jim Bowden run organization.

:p:

Has a pitching prospect ever panned out under Jim Bowden? Scott Williamson comes to mind, but he didn't last real long.

KronoRed
06-07-2007, 02:46 PM
its because of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. isn't it always?

It shouldn't be, takes a lot of fun out of this

larks
06-07-2007, 02:47 PM

Agreed ive got major man love for Heyward and Matt LaPorta.

larks
06-07-2007, 02:48 PM
LaPorta no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no no!

jesusfan
Why do they need a first basemen?? bad pick

M2
Glad the Os took him -- keep these guys with big demands from steering themselves to certain franchises.

It's easy to forget the O's have money.

Wow, Brewers take Matt LaPorta.

KronoRed
Laporta!!!!!! to the brew crew WOOO :D

Aronchis
Porcello has some Red flags(mechanics,signing bonus). Between that and being a HS pitcher, he dropped a bit.

Matt700wlw
Agreed ive got major man love for Heyward and Matt LaPorta.

So do the Brewers, it seems...

cincy09
wow another 1st baseman to the Brew Crew

jmcclain19
Wow - Brewers take Matt LaPorta.

Two surprises in the last three picks

Topcat
Crap another bat for the Brewers!

nmculbreth
06-07-2007, 02:49 PM
I like LaPorta a lot but this pick doesn't make much sense for the Brewers.

larks
06-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Thats interesting... Catching for your 2009 Brewers Matt LaPorta

Puffy
06-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Crap another bat for the Brewers!

Well, I don't see anyway they get Fielder and LaPorta on the field together, unless they think LaPorta can play left field.

Benihana
06-07-2007, 02:51 PM
I like LaPorta a lot but this pick doesn't make much sense for the Brewers.

I guess you gotta credit them for really "picking the best player available" and sticking to it. I don't get it either, but maybe they move LaPorta to the outfield?

pedro
mlb.com says laporta is a LF. is that wrong?

M2
I'm guessing LaPorta is being drafted to be traded in a year or so.

Sea Ray
At what time do you suppose the Reds will pick?

Joseph
06-07-2007, 02:52 PM
They did list him as a LFer, so thats probably the plan.

Cyclone792
06-07-2007, 02:53 PM
My guess is also a trade in the next one or two years for LaPorta, just as Law discussed.

jesusfan
I'm liking these reaches...

cincy09
so much for weathers!

reds44
06-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Weathers is gone. Woot.

larks
oh, not sure I like this pick for the Rockies

nmculbreth
Yes... Weathers to Colorado. Nice pitcher but I really didn't want the Reds taking him.

cincy09
06-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Bob C better step up to the plate.

There will be some good players available at 15.

NorrisHopper30
At least we can't take him now

Az. Reds Fan
Now we just need someone to reach on Borbon

Benihana
The good news is the following guys are still on th e board, with only 6 picks remaining:

Aumont
Porcello
Beaven
Baumgarner
Parker
Heyward
Dominguez

I would be very happy with any of the 7.

medford
Listening on mlb radio thru the web (sounds like its just the audio of the TV feed on ESPN2). Anyhoo, the analyst guy (haven't been listening close enough to know his name, but he says that he talked to the brewers last night, and somebody w/ the brewers said they were going to "shock the world" w/ their pick.

Well consider the world "unshocked" as 99% of the world probably could care less who the Brewers picked, if they even know who the Brewers are. Sorry for the rant, but I hate that phrase as rarely when one says they'll "shock the world" does the world indeed find itself "shocked".

Patrick Bateman
I'm not a big fan of taking relievers at #8.

Aronchis
Signability.

edabbs44
Would love to see the Reds make some noise and take the best player available. Don't see it happening though.

nmculbreth
06-07-2007, 02:56 PM
The good news is the following guys are still on th e board, with only 6 picks remaining:

Aumont
Porcello
Beaven
Baumgarner
Parker
Dominguez

I would be very happy with any of the 6.

I agree completely, I'd like any of those players.

jesusfan
Pleaese Beaven, Porcello, or Heyward!

edabbs44

Aumont
Porcello
Beaven
Baumgarner
Parker
Dominguez

I would be very happy with any of the 6.

Chances are.....remote.:D

dabvu2498
2 college seniors in the top 8? wowser

2 Commodores in the top 8? Big wowser

larks
Good point over at BP on the Brewers pick.. If the Brewers expect LaPorta to make a move to the OF doesnt Heyward project better there.

dabvu2498
06-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Only thing Laporta knows about LF is that some of his homers fly over it.

Falls City Beer
06-07-2007, 02:58 PM
The Brewers are doing the smart thing; if they're good, they're tradeable. Who cares about position?

larks
06-07-2007, 02:59 PM
D Backs at 9 take Jarrod Parker RHP

nmculbreth
06-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Great pick for the DBacks.

Patrick Bateman
06-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Hopefully Smoker is still on the board for the Braves, as they may seriously consider taking him there. That may allow Heyward to fall to the Reds.

flyer85
06-07-2007, 03:01 PM
with the last couple of picks it may mean someone falls to the Reds they weren't expecting.

larks
From MLB.com

Player Name: Jarrod Parker
Position: Starting Pitcher
School: Norwell HS, Ind.
School Type: High School
Academic Class: Senior
Birthdate: 11/24/88
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 175 lbs.
Bats: Right
Throws: Right
Report Date(s): 04/19/07
Game(s): Blackford HS

Focus Area Comments
Fastball: Parker's fastball ran in the 94-97 mph range.
FB Movement: Parker had above-average life on the inner half of the plate.
Curve: Parker threw his curve around 78-79 mph, but he doesn't use it a lot in games. It's an average offering, at best, on occasion, but has the chance to be a good pitch.
Changeup: Parker didn't throw many changeups, but when he did they were around 81-82 mph. The pitch has a chance to be above average.
Control: Parker had an oustanding ability to command his fastball on both sides of the plate. The ability to have command to the extension side of the plate isn't common for high school right-handers.
Poise: Parker is extremely competitive and had outstanding mound presence. He was commanding from his first pitch to his last.
Physical Description: Parker is an athletic, yet undersized right-hander in the Roy Oswalt mold.
Medical Update: Healthy.
Strengths: Parker has a smooth, no-effort delivery. He's an oustanding athlete. He's got a plus fastball with plus command and the chance to have two above-average secondary pitches.
Weaknesses: He's a little undersized and his secondary offerings are behind his fastball, mostly because he hasn't needed them.
Summary: Parker has a good combination of skills, a big fastball, two potentially good secondary pitches, clean mechanics, outstanding command and mound presence. He has the chance to be a frontline starter in the future.

jmcclain19
2 Commodores in the top 8? Big wowser

Yeah you think that people would know by now that nothing good comes out of Vanderbilt:p:

flyer85
The Brewers are doing the smart thing; if they're good, they're tradeable. Who cares about position?plus by the time he is ready Fielder will be near free agency, I am guessing he may be out of the brewers price range by then

larks
06-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Agreed. good pick for the Snakes

Cyclone792
The Brewers are doing the smart thing; if they're good, they're tradeable. Who cares about position?

Yup, with LaPorta's advanced bat, he could be in AA by the trading deadline next season. If you've got a big bat in AA that you're shopping, you can get some pretty serious talent offered over to help the big club.

The_jbh
If LaPorta is #1 on the brewers board then thats the guy to take in my opinion no matter who they have at 1B today... Thye'll develop him (which wont take long) and then they'll deal with the logjam when its an issue...

Phillies did that with Thome and Ryan Howard... THome wanted a big deal so they kept howard and it worked out

jmcclain19
06-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Still reading BP - Kevin Goldstein predicts that one of the next two picks will be Nick Schmidt.

How awesome would that be - both of my Mock Draft 1st rounders go in the Top 10

lollipopcurve
Aumont
Porcello
Beaven
Baumgarner
Parker
Heyward
Dominguez

Porcello ain't happening. I like Heyward or Aumont best of this group.

dabvu2498
Yeah you think that people would know by now that nothing good comes out of Vanderbilt:p:

Amy Grant

Puffy
John Manuel of BA seems to think this signals LaPorta might go back to catching.

Joseph
06-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Still reading BP - Kevin Goldstein predicts that one of the next two picks will be Nick Schmidt.

How awesome would that be - both of my Mock Draft 1st rounders go in the Top 10

Yeah, well, my mock first rounder went #1 overall! ;)

larks
Bumgarner's gone. Giants pick him at 10

The_jbh
Barmgarner to the GIants???

Reach? some1 slides to us?

I still want Porcello kind of

Aronchis
06-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Another surprise.

cincy09
06-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Schmidt to Seattle next ?

larks
06-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Schmidt to Seattle would be my guess

Patrick Bateman
06-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Good. Not a fan of Bumgarner. Now hopefully someone can take Borbon before the Reds do.

jmcclain19
06-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Wonder if Mills falls to the Reds now?

College bat...good D....might fit Buckley's profile. I don't think anyone predicted the Giants would let him pass