PDA

View Full Version : Coffey optioned to Louisville

DeadRedinCT
06-08-2007, 02:11 PM
To make room for Homer Bailey on the 25 man roster.

Per C. Trent.

boognish
06-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Huh? Doesn't really make too much sense to me. Coffey dominated while he was down there, and earned a spot with the big club last season. His overall 2007 numbers are below average, but his fastball command looked better Wednesday night.

What are the FO's benchmarks for Coffey's return?

captainmorgan07
06-08-2007, 02:23 PM
intersting move by the front office but coffey has options and after what i saw from mcbeth the other nite im glad they didnt' send him down. Coffey hasn't exactly been spectacular but either has stanton or majewski. Very Very intersting move

boognish
06-08-2007, 02:30 PM
intersting move by the front office but coffey has options and after what i saw from mcbeth the other nite im glad they didnt' send him down. Coffey hasn't exactly been spectacular but either has stanton or majewski. Very Very intersting move

So why not Maj? I'd like to see a player given something specific to improve upon when sent down, and brought back up upon reaching that goal. It seems to be arbitrary the way the Reds do it.

markymark69
06-08-2007, 02:39 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. I thought it would either be McBeth or the possible release of Santos.

bucksfan2
06-08-2007, 02:45 PM
I like this move. I thought Coffey should have spent more time down in AAA. When he came back he didn't do anything different than what he had done all year long. Until Coffey learns how to pitch he is going to be hit hard. He need to work on throwing a second pitch for a strike. His fastball has no difference in velocity and he tends to throw that over and over again.

foltza
06-08-2007, 02:51 PM
2 thoughts from me:
1. if going down to lville can do for coffey what it seems to have done for EE, then have at it.
2. does majewski have options? can we send him down w/o losing him? i'm all for optioning him, but not ready to just cut ties completely

pokeyfan
06-08-2007, 02:52 PM
It was because I voted for him to be sent down in yesterdays poll on redszone. :) I'm glad Krivsky is starting to RECOGNIZE my talent evaluation skillz!

pokeyfan
06-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Learn to walk from the bullpen to the mound, and maybe you will have some energy left to get a batter or two out. Good Luck :thumbup:

captainmorgan07
06-08-2007, 02:57 PM
that and learn an out pitch because he sure doesn't have one

Strikes Out Looking
06-08-2007, 03:17 PM
It should have been Burton. Yes, I know the Reds risk losing him if they did that, but really, has he shown himself to be the second coming of Clay Carroll? The Reds have, or at least, implied that Coffey's future is with the team by signing him to an extension. Overuse early in the season and yo-yoing him back and forth to Louisville aren't going to help him or the Reds in the long run.

reds44
06-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Wow, that's surprising. I'd rather it be him then McBeth though. If the Reds were in a playoff chase, Burton wouldn't be on the roster.

manofmoe
06-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Per Rotoworld:

The Reds are simply being ridiculous now. At least Coffey was struggling last time they send him down. He pitched great during his two weeks in the minors, so what does the team do? Recall him, let him get two outs over two games and then demote him again. Gary Majewski has an 11.25 ERA, Rule 5 pick Jared Burton is an obvious liability due to his poor command and Mike Stanton hasn't pitched in a game the Reds have won since May 10, yet somehow Coffey is the biggest problem in the Cincinnati pen.

reds44
06-08-2007, 03:27 PM
It's not ridiculous. Anybody in the bullpen outside of Weathers and maybe McBeth have made a case to be sent down.

I would have rather seen Majewski, but I don't think it's a huge difference.

jfar23
06-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Become left handed and change your name to Mike Stanton.

JLB5
06-08-2007, 03:50 PM
It's not ridiculous. Anybody in the bullpen outside of Weathers and maybe McBeth have made a case to be sent down.

I agree with you there. Santos was the guy I'd cut loose because I don't think he has a future with this team. I think they realize it is fish or cut bait time with Majewski. They have to run him out there and see what they have or if he is "finished" like some think. He's throwing hard, so I'd like to see if he can get the job done and become a fixture at the back end of the pen. Stanton hasn't pitched well, but they have to hope that he can come around enough to dump his salary onto someone else (especially if he is sent in a package deal).

One of the problems is that the guys in Narron's pen are either over or under used. He'll pitch Coot in every game for a week, but won't use Burton for 5 or 6 days, then expect him to come in throwing strikes. Young guys with command issues are not going to do well if they are not used in a regular way.

bucksfan2
06-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Santos won't be released until Saarloos is back on the major league roster. The reds don't have another long man in the pen if they release Santos.

IrishDavidKY
06-08-2007, 04:08 PM
I like the move! I think Coffey needs to spend a little more time the the 'Ville. In my opinion, they could send the entire pen to Louisville.

demas863
06-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Huh? Doesn't really make too much sense to me. Coffey dominated while he was down there, and earned a spot with the big club last season. His overall 2007 numbers are below average, but his fastball command looked better Wednesday night.

What are the FO's benchmarks for Coffey's return?

His problem has been he can't get his breaking ball over so his good fastball is less effective. Like keeping Majewski up so he can hopefully get some decent numbers and we can get rid of him in the July grab bag. Frank Robinson hated this guy for lack of work ethic and attitude.

Coffey's going to be a key part of the bullpen but perhaps later rather than sooner. Brantley never said it outright but he sort of hinted that Todd pitches "scared" which I read as lack of confidence.

hebroncougar
06-08-2007, 06:47 PM
And the rudderless ship continues..............

AmarilloRed
06-09-2007, 04:02 PM
It was long overdue. Todd seems to have some internal problems, which he can deal with at AAA. We need his mind in the game when he comes back.

boognish
06-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Frank Robinson hated this guy for lack of work ethic and attitude.

...I had never heard this, but I guess anything's possible. If Maj doesn't work hard, is it as simple as WK trying to get as many IP out of him as possible to band-aid the stab wound that is last July's "transaction?" I just don't see it as very likely.

In my opinion, Coffey's command problems indicate overuse, not anthing he necessarily needs to sort out. Even though usually used in short stints, Coffey was appearing in over 60% of the team's games, and I thought he was tired...couldn't command his fastball, and you alluded to the problems he had with his breakers. Narron would use him for 2 IP one day, and have him face one batter the next, so I think inconsistent usage patterns may contribute as well.

I don't like to think of myself as a Coffey apologist, but he was by far the Reds' best reliever last season, and his command problems should be worked out by the major league staff.