PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Homer's Outing / Homer's First Start

HumnHilghtFreel
06-08-2007, 09:12 PM
What did all of you think?

My first thought after he left was: I was shocked to see him get to 114 pitches. I really thought he was done for the night after the walk to Hafner. I'm glad leaving him in worked out well, but it also worries me about how Narron may end up handling him. But it may have just been Narron trying to get him through 5 in his debut. At least I hope so.

I didn't think his "stuff" looked all that great, but I'll wait until he isn't nervous beyond belief before I really judge him on that.

Overall, I give him an A. :thumbup:

steig
06-08-2007, 09:16 PM
I didn't see other threads discussing his start.

I personally felt that he had a very good outing. I was hesitant when Narron left Homer in the game for so many pitches but I thought it was great how he worked his way out of the jam. I don't believe he had his best stuff tonight but you can tell that he will have some late movement on his fastball as he settles down and that he has good speed differential between his different pitches. In all, I think it was a great start and the Reds would be stupid to send him back down to Louisville after this start. Let him spend some time with the club and learn how to pitch against the big boys.

ochoa30
06-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Plus that is by far the best offense he will face this year. Way to many pitches but i can live with it if they never do that again. Atleast this year. He had bad command but battled really well which is great.

reds44
06-08-2007, 09:23 PM
He did pretty well for his first start. Hopefully we can hold on and get him the W.

ochoa30
06-08-2007, 09:27 PM
What did all of you think?

My first thought after he left was: I was shocked to see him get to 114 pitches. I really thought he was done for the night after the walk to Hafner. I'm glad leaving him in worked out well, but it also worries me about how Narron may end up handling him. But it may have just been Narron trying to get him through 5 in his debut. At least I hope so.

I didn't think his "stuff" looked all that great, but I'll wait until he isn't nervous beyond belief before I really judge him on that.

Overall, I give him an A. :thumbup:

Ive seen him before and he was much better. He didnt have his best stuff or command and he still did pretty well against a great offense. I agree about the pitches, if that happens again i wil be very displeased. I just cant believe the reds would let it. They just wanted to get him through 5 with a chance to win. Great for his confidence.

Degenerate39
06-08-2007, 09:27 PM
He did a good job I'm really impressed with him. I really hope he gets the win today.

captainmorgan07
06-08-2007, 09:37 PM
i was impressed and im not mad that narron left him in the kids gotta learn to work outta jams. i was talking to people and refernced bonderman and the tigers the year he came up and i feel we should handle homer the same way. Let him takes his bumps that's how he's gonna learn and look at bonderman now.

joshnky
06-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Not that its a big difference but if you throw out the intentional walk (which requires little effort) Homer through 110 pitches. I think thats the magic number and hopefully we can keep him there or lower to reduce the strain on that very valuable arm.

Mitri
06-08-2007, 09:48 PM
I think we're going to see a lot of the same pitch inefficiency this year and next. Rarely will we see Homer go past the 7th, always with around 100 pitches. He was obviously working through some nerves, especially in the 1st and 2nd and the final few batters. But still, he showed a lot of maturity by not letting poor defense, bloop hits or walks get in the way of getting through an inning.
Really loved finally seeing his stuff. First time for me. His heater has a lot of movement and for the most part he can place it very well. It's the off-speed stuff that obviously gets him into trouble control-wise. He'll take his lumps this season and the beginning of next learning to work out that change-up and master the control of his curve.
All in all about what I expected. He's here to stay. Welcome to Cincinnati, Homer.

pokeyfan
06-08-2007, 09:51 PM
I was very impressed with him. One thing that i did notice though was that he looked like he felt much more comfortable against RH'ers than he did the LH'ers, and he was more agressive against the "lesser" hitters, and he wasn't as agressive against Hafner and Martinez. The stats might show different, but he appeared much more comfortable against the righties. Overall, a great outing for his first start, much less against one of the better hitting teams in baseball.

Degenerate39
06-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Homer gets his first win!

RedsRFreel
06-08-2007, 10:21 PM
:beerme: Congratulations, Homer!

WMR
06-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Felt really good seeing Homer come out of the dugout after getting his first W.

ED44
06-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Way too many pitches for 5 innings, but I think that comes with 1st outing jitters. I was impressed. I wish he would have thrown his curve a few more times. It had some real bite on it. Better control on the change will come with experience. All and all, it's everything you could hope for though. GREAT job getting the K to end the 5th in a pressure situation. That's poise and something you really have to be encouraged about. He was facing one of the best lineups in baseball and held them in check. In all actuality he should have given up only the one run. No excuse for letting Hafner score in the 1st.

Hopefully, the 1st win of MANY. Congrats Homer!

WMR
06-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Homer got the ceremonial pie in the face!! :laugh:

Degenerate39
06-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Homer looks like Christian Bale?

WMR
06-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Someone made that comment in the game thread; there's definitely more than a passing resemblance there.

HumnHilghtFreel
06-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Homer looks like Christian Bale?

Christian Bailey?

WMR
06-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Christian Bailey?

yuckity yuk yuk yuk :laugh:

Degenerate39
06-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Christian Bailey?

http://handson.provocateuse.com/images/photos/christian_bale_05.jpg

http://www.baseballamerica.com/images2005/hbailey450350da.jpg

HokieRed
06-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Good beginning. 114 is at least 14 too many for a young pitcher. There's reason to be worried about Narron and Krivsky's handling of the kid.

kaldaniels
06-08-2007, 11:19 PM
For the occasional pitch count complaints that I've seen regarding tonights performance....

This was a special occasion. Letting him go for the win in his first start was an awesome move by JN. Now, had this game been in his 2nd start...I'd be up in arms. That said, I think JN will strictly watch the pitch counts from now on. I don't think it is fair to throw Jerry under the bus for this one.

LvJ
06-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Homer looks like Christian Bale? I would agree.

Jefferson24
06-09-2007, 12:02 AM
Pitch count didn't need to be that high. He threw a lot of pitched that would have been called strikes had he been a seasoned veteran. I was there and everyone around was amazed at the small strike zone.

TC81190
06-09-2007, 01:12 AM
Attention everyone: Please shut up about Homer's pitch count. He was fine, he didn't struggle, and he wasn't going over the top in effort in throwing those pitches.

reds44
06-09-2007, 01:22 AM
Attention everyone: Please shut up about Homer's pitch count. He was fine, he didn't struggle, and he wasn't going over the top in effort in throwing those pitches.
He was overthrowing his pitches today, especially his heater. He also pitched in alot of high stress situations. A arguemnt can certainly be made for him to have been out of there.

However, when the game was going on, I agreed with what Narron did every step of the way with Homer. I would have left him out there to try to get him the win also. I don't want to see him throwing 114 every game, but I agree with what Narron did today.

Homer Bailey
06-09-2007, 02:06 AM
In listening to the radio after the game, Tracy was saying that Homer's arbitration clock started early by bringing him up tonight, but I thought if he was brought up after June 1st it didnt start early? I finally go thru to tracy and my phone died..... was he wrong in thinking that July 1st is the key date?

keeganbrick
06-09-2007, 03:07 AM
He was just throwing gas across the plate and the Indians were just fouling it back. That was pretty sick. When he actually gets decent control of his breaking ball and gets ahead in the count............game over.

Lets not forget he faced a potent Indians lineup at GABP for his first major league start. 3 bad combinations

reds44
06-09-2007, 03:14 AM
His stride to the plate is so long, it makes it apeear his fastball is coming in at much faster then 93-95. When you watch him pitch, he lands on the bottom of the mond. I've never seen a Reds pitcher pitch like that. Harang is 6-7, but his stride is nowhere near as long as Homer's is.

His stride gives him a big advantage over many pitchers. He shaves off the distance from the mound to plate.

keeganbrick
06-09-2007, 03:19 AM
Yea, his stride is crazy. I know he shortens it up quite a bit from the stretch but did he have trouble holding runners on in the minors?

HumnHilghtFreel
06-09-2007, 05:01 AM
"He deserved every opportunity to get out of that inning, and he did," Narron said. "The only negative is he got his pitch count up. That's something he had problems with in the minor leagues, and we've got to get him out of it."

Good to hear that directly from the horse's mouth. Hopefully it really was just tonight trying to get him the win.

Chi-Town Red
06-09-2007, 08:39 AM
the kid did great....overthrew a bit, but i think that was because he was nervous...hey 114 pitches...yea alot, but the guy just turned 21.. hes young !!...yes a valuable arm indeed, but if he would have kept the ball down more it would have been much less

redssouth
06-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Good outing to learn from and build confidence with. In my opinion he was shaking off Ross way too much. I would like to see him trust the scouting report a little more, and just not throw his favorite pitch in certain counts. Thats where batters will pick up tendencies.

Also, dont know how many saw it, but on Reds Live, Homer showed how he threw all of his pitches. He throws a strange change up, after seeing that, Im worried that he will never have control over that pitch with great success. Hopefully thats not the case, but just a smidge of concern over that.

DTCromer
06-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Good outing from him as he made some good pitches in hitters counts. But if he's not going to win many games if he continues to get behind. He's going to get hammered if he continues to get down 2-0 or 3-1.

redsfan1966
06-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Was at the game....what an electric atmosphere....only an opener could match the crowd response....props to the fans for staying behind homer...homer definitely is going to have to learn pitch efficiency and pump the heater in for a first pitch strike...i have to give major props to narron for letting the kid battle -- taking him out in the fifth would have done nothing for homer's confidence -- and of course congrats to homer for his win and his performance...

James B.
06-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Great job for a first start being just 21 years old.I hope he is here to stay. I see no reason to send him back down. He is going to be a five or six inning pitcher for a while though. I am not just basing that on one game he showed that in the minors also. That will hurt him considering the reds bullpen problems. Having said that I am really looking forward to seeing him pitch again.

Ludwig Reds Fan
06-09-2007, 11:34 AM
I too can give Narron a pass for letting the pitch count get so high, because I think the psychological payoff for Homer was worth it.

...but from here on out lets remember one thing: Tommy John was 21 once too. Of course, Tommy John almost won 300 games so Homer should be so fortunate. ;)

boognish
06-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Yea, his stride is crazy. I know he shortens it up quite a bit from the stretch but did he have trouble holding runners on in the minors?

I was at the game, myself, and to your point, brick, he seems to be uncomfortable with the slide step, especially with his breaking pitches. Sitting on the first base side, I noticed that he employed three different variations from the stretch. Not a big deal and reasonably easy to correct.

I also noticed (and this was mostly from the reactions of the hitters) Mr. Bailey had exceptional late movement on his fastball. He sawed off Sizemore, Hafner, and Martinez on at least one occasion apiece and got weak pops to the left side into foul territory.

I would like him to work a lot more on his curve, especially from the stretch--my informal estimates had him above 80% fastballs--but a great day for Mr. Bailey, hopefully the first of many wins in a Reds uniform. The power arms the Reds have had in recent years have been few and far between (was Rijo the last?), and fewer still in the rotation...Narron/Pole should make him develop his secondary stuff instead of managing every game like the WS...that will be the best way to help his development at the MLB level, I believe. Wins are secondary to development from this point.

Homer Bailey
06-09-2007, 12:06 PM
In listening to the radio after the game, Tracy was saying that Homer's arbitration clock started early by bringing him up tonight, but I thought if he was brought up after June 1st it didnt start early? I finally go thru to tracy and my phone died..... was he wrong in thinking that July 1st is the key date?

nate
06-09-2007, 12:10 PM
I commented in chat that his fastball had a lot of "tail" to it...it just seemed to be alive the last 10' or so and jumped to the side or down a bit. Totally fooled the hitters early in the count.

I also thought he was better from the windup than the stretch. However, he really came up big in the bases-loaded situation with a K. He seemed mentally tough, was probably nervous but had decent composure.

I think he's here to stay.

AdamDunn
06-09-2007, 12:29 PM
C.

Good: Only two runs given up. Pitched well when he needed to.
Bad: Not enough strikes. Should have been blown out of the water with the way he was pitching. 114 pitches for a kid who doesn't go to 100 in AAA very often seems a little risky

Chi-Town Red
06-09-2007, 01:08 PM
his curve wasn't working really at all....hes going to need that pitch if hes going to be a real success up here..but i haven't seen him at all so i guess his breaking pitch is pretty good from what i hear...god can u imagine what he will be like in 3 yrs!!:bowrofl:

redsfanmia
06-09-2007, 01:13 PM
C.

Good: Only two runs given up. Pitched well when he needed to.
Bad: Not enough strikes. Should have been blown out of the water with the way he was pitching. 114 pitches for a kid who doesn't go to 100 in AAA very often seems a little risky

If Dunn knew how to hustle or if Hopper would have hit a cutoff man it would have only been one run.

pokeyfan
06-09-2007, 05:51 PM
I was thinking that he looked more like Clay Aiken without all of the gayness.

pokeyfan
06-09-2007, 05:53 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/images2005/hbailey450350da.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/images/225162/1_61_clay_aiken.jpg