PDA

View Full Version : Is Homer up to stay?

GriffeyFan
06-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Or was this a cup of coffee for him?

Sorry, I haven't been on here as much lately so I don't know if this is just a temporary thing for Homer or if the Reds intend to keep him up here.

Sea Ray
06-09-2007, 01:11 PM
I think they'll give him another start or two but I would be surprised if he never sees Louisville again. My bet is he goes down sometime this summer. If he doesn't, then he's pitching beyond expectations.

guttle11
06-09-2007, 01:19 PM
I don't think they can justify sending Homer back down unless he has a few really bad starts in a row. (Like Saarloos bad) Once you bring him up, keep him up, and let him learn.

Personally, I don't see that happening. The kid has great stuff. Once he settles in and starts throwing more strikes, he's going to be the second best starter we have. (Unless Bronson somehow gets his groove back)

He'll take his fair share of lumps, but he's got the stuff and mental makeup to get better because of them. Let him grow.

VR
06-09-2007, 01:20 PM
I'd like to see him pitch in Seattle a couple of weeks from now....then they can do whatever they want with him ;)

pedro
06-09-2007, 01:22 PM
I'd like to see him pitch in Seattle a couple of weeks from now....then they can do whatever they want with him ;)

Didn't even think of that.

Sea Ray
06-09-2007, 01:22 PM

Yeah, I'm goin' to Fri and Sat games at Safeco. I'm hoping he pitches in one of those

pedro
06-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I'm goin' to Fri and Sat games at Safeco. I'm hoping he pitches in one of those

I just checked the schedule and if they follow the 5 man rotation schedule that is currently set we'll see Harang, Arroyo & Lohse.

redsfan30
06-09-2007, 01:33 PM
I'd be shocked if he's not here to stay.

Caveat Emperor
06-09-2007, 01:45 PM
I think they'll give him another start or two but I would be surprised if he never sees Louisville again. My bet is he goes down sometime this summer. If he doesn't, then he's pitching beyond expectations.

At this point, I'm just knocking on wood that it isn't for a rehab start after some type of arm soreness.

Heath
06-09-2007, 01:55 PM
He needs to be on the same regiment he was on in Louisville.

But let the kid pitch here.

And if it means he's the 5th starter with a couple of extra days of rest, so be it.

RBA
06-09-2007, 02:20 PM
He's not going down; EVER! You heard it here first.

Tommyjohn25
06-09-2007, 02:49 PM
He's not going down; EVER! You heard it here first.
I agree RBA. I think our fireballer is here to stay, not only due to his ability, but also due to the fact that there would be a small to medium sized riot in Cincy if he were sent back down.

RedEye
06-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Perhaps this was already discussed in another Homer thread... but I'm worried about his pitch count. While I like the fact that Narron let him pitch out of that jam in the fifth, 115 pitches seems like a lot for a kid who rarely touched 100 in the minors.

And... to answer your question... yes, I think he's here to stay if he can stay healthy (which I'm nervous about.)

StillFunkyB
06-09-2007, 03:20 PM
IIRC, Castellini said that when Homer was called up he was here for good.

cincy09
06-09-2007, 05:10 PM
He's not going anywhere.

KronoRed
06-09-2007, 05:29 PM
I say he only goes down if he gets hurt

Matt700wlw
06-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Keep him up here.....he'll learn a lot more in the bigs than he will in AAA.

IslandRed
06-09-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm okay with him staying, but I'd like to see him on the fifth-starter program (extra days of rest, the occasional skipped start, maybe a few bullpen appearances, etc.) to keep his innings within range of this year's target.

Highlifeman21
06-09-2007, 06:16 PM
I say he only goes down if he gets hurt

Correction, he only goes down when he gets hurt.

By the heavy workload in the debut, I have a feeling that'll be probably around his 3rd start.

Unassisted
06-09-2007, 06:20 PM
I say 3 bad outings in any span of 4-5 starts gets Homer a ticket back to Derby City, if it happens before August 1.

pedro
06-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Buster Olney says Homer Bailey likes to wear cowboy boots and a bolo tie and that Buster likes hunting so much that he's got a tattoo covering his entire back depicting a buck about to be shot lined up through the cross hairs of a rifle scope.

Steve4192
06-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Perhaps this was already discussed in another Homer thread... but I'm worried about his pitch count. While I like the fact that Narron let him pitch out of that jam in the fifth, 115 pitches seems like a lot for a kid who rarely touched 100 in the minors.

He went 100+ pitches in three of his last four minor league starts. He's stretched out enough to regularly handle 100 pitch counts.

RBA
06-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Buster Olney says Homer Bailey likes to wear cowboy boots and a bolo tie and that Buster likes hunting so much that he's got a tattoo covering his entire back depicting a buck about to be shot lined up through the cross hairs of a rifle scope.

So he may go down for "Mental" problems or an illness related to a dirty tattoo
needle.

BoydsOfSummer
06-09-2007, 08:20 PM

My kinda feller.

I think he learned a bunch last night. During that really long inning where he threw 50 pitches seemingly, you could just tell he was thinking, 'Wow- I'd be out of this already in AAA".

Up here they foul off or take pitches he was assuredly getting strikeouts with in the minors.

BoydsOfSummer
06-09-2007, 08:22 PM
So he may go down for "Mental" problems or an illness related to a dirty tattoo
needle.

What part of that suggests "mental problem" to you? I'm curious.

KronoRed
06-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Correction, he only goes down when he gets hurt.

By the heavy workload in the debut, I have a feeling that'll be probably around his 3rd start.

Then we'll hear how he wasn't that good anyway ;)

RedEye
06-09-2007, 09:23 PM
He went 100+ pitches in three of his last four minor league starts. He's stretched out enough to regularly handle 100 pitch counts.

Ahhh... good to know. That makes me feel a bit better.