PDA

View Full Version : Atmosphere at Homer's debut

redsfanmia
06-09-2007, 01:11 PM
I bought the hype and went to the game last night and went and I must comment that it felt like a playoff game or a NFL game. The crowd was electric and seemed to be sitting on every pitch. I was wondering if anyone else in attendance noticed it or if it was just me? Maybe Homer is just what this team needed to bring some intensity to the team and the fans.

Homer Bailey
06-09-2007, 01:14 PM
I bought the hype and went to the game last night and went and I must comment that it felt like a playoff game or a NFL game. The crowd was electric and seemed to be sitting on every pitch. I was wondering if anyone else in attendance noticed it or if it was just me? Maybe Homer is just what this team needed to bring some intensity to the team and the fans.

Man that was awesome to be at. Best baseball experience I've had in a long long time. The team really responded to the energy the crowd brought, namingly the pitching staff. Makes you wonder if we had that kind of crowd every night if the team would succeed more at home? Unfair of me to question fans for not showing up, because the only reason i went was to see Homer and to be a part of that atmosphere. But I agree, awesome night to be a Reds fan.

redsfanfalcon
06-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Fair weather fans irk me...I'll be there in June, July, August, and September regardless...call me stupid, but I just love the Reds and baseball.

Homer Bailey
06-09-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm not a fair weather fan. It was my 5th trip from Columbus to a game this year. It's not exactly easy traveling a total of 4 hours for a baseball game. Getting off work isn't exactly the easiest thing ever either.

Edd Roush
06-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Fair weather fans irk me...I'll be there in June, July, August, and September regardless...call me stupid, but I just love the Reds and baseball.

See, this is where I disagree. Fair weather fans annoy me when they try to argue that Sean Casey was more valuable than Adam Dunn ever will be, but they do allow the atmosphere to be more electric. Last night was the 3rd most electric ballgame I've ever been to. The top two would be the 99 playoff game and the one Opening Day game I ever went to (2001 or 2002). All of those games were so electric due to all of the people that came out. Those fair weather fans create that environment. Last night was the most fun I've had at a Reds' game, beginning to end, in a long time. Let's just hope we'll start having some success, so even more fair weather fans come out and create even more enjoyable environments.

justincredible
06-09-2007, 03:19 PM
The atmosphere was awesome last night, especially when he had Dellucci full with the bases loaded. That place exploded when he struck him out.

:beerme:

kbrake
06-09-2007, 04:07 PM
The place was great until the wave started around the 7th then it lost everything. The wave is a nightmare and should be banned from parks. When the game is within a couple runs and YOUR TEAM IS HITTING you should not be doing the wave.

redsfanmia
06-09-2007, 04:11 PM

Been to many games when the Reds were out of it, I went to 6 games when Whitey Richardson was playing short stop. Hardcore fans really irk me.

robo21
06-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Gotta say I went because of Bailey's debut and I'm glad I did. I was shocked when I looked around during the ninth inning and noticed most of the crowd was still there, I don't remember the last time I've seen that.

Dunner44
06-09-2007, 05:19 PM
The place was great until the wave started around the 7th then it lost everything. The wave is a nightmare and should be banned from parks. When the game is within a couple runs and YOUR TEAM IS HITTING you should not be doing the wave.

I was sitting three rows over from the guys who were starting it, and I wanted to throttle them all.

On a related note, how crazy were those fireworks? One exploded in perfect synch with David Weather's throwing a strike (right as the ball hit Ross' glove) and the finale started right as Weathers got the K to end the 8th inning. It was surreal with Majik and Weathers pitching with those going off.

Dunner44
06-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Gotta say I went because of Bailey's debut and I'm glad I did. I was shocked when I looked around during the ninth inning and noticed most of the crowd was still there, I don't remember the last time I've seen that.

I saw plenty of people leaving. Those are the same people that pay 25 to 30 dollars for parking, who end up sitting stuck it traffic for hours. I'm happy to pay $2, park in the P&G lot and walk 5 short blocks, because there isZERO traffic on the way out.

Chi-Town Red
06-09-2007, 05:54 PM
wish i could have been there but im in Chicago....but i did watch every pitch on DirecTV.... i order the extra innings package just to watch my Reds....yea im a die hard fan...the crowd looked and sounded electric on TV!!:thumbup:

TC81190
06-09-2007, 08:37 PM
See, this is where I disagree. Fair weather fans annoy me when they try to argue that Sean Casey was more valuable than Adam Dunn ever will be, but they do allow the atmosphere to be more electric. Last night was the 3rd most electric ballgame I've ever been to. The top two would be the 99 playoff game and the one Opening Day game I ever went to (2001 or 2002). All of those games were so electric due to all of the people that came out. Those fair weather fans create that environment. Last night was the most fun I've had at a Reds' game, beginning to end, in a long time. Let's just hope we'll start having some success, so even more fair weather fans come out and create even more enjoyable environments.

Yeah, screw opinions.

Anyway, the game last night was, despite sitting in the VERY back seats, and I mean literally the last row of seats in the upper deck, the best game I have attended in my life.

TC81190
06-09-2007, 08:40 PM

God, posts like just piss me off. People go to the game to have fun. God forbid that right? STFU about what everybody else is doing and let them enjoy the game the way the want to. Baseball isn't life to everybody else around you.

And to the other person who said so, the fireworks could not have been timed anymore perfectly, right as Weathers K'd the last batter of the 8th.

Redlegs
06-09-2007, 09:16 PM
There's nothing wrong with getting caught up in the hype and buying a ticket to see Homer pitch. I wish I could have been there instead of watching it from my home. You could feel the energy even on the television broadcast. Anyway, glad everyone had fun and I hope you witnessed history. Hopefully Homer Bailey will go on to have a wonderful career and you can say you were there the night it all began.

BEETTLEBUG
06-10-2007, 12:58 AM

Amen I will follow them also.

redsfanmia
06-10-2007, 08:06 AM

Those people who irk you are the ones who are going to drive more ticket sales and merchandise sales and thus more revenue allowing for a higher payroll and thus hopefully a better product on field. You should embrace the fairweather fans not villifie them

kbrake
06-10-2007, 10:12 AM
God, posts like just piss me off. People go to the game to have fun. God forbid that right? STFU about what everybody else is doing and let them enjoy the game the way the want to. Baseball isn't life to everybody else around you.

Come on man, tell me how you really feel. I dont feel the need to post such a mature post as yours but I will just say the wave is a joke. How many times you see the wave at Fenway or Yankee Stadium? Seriously man grow up, it makes Cincinnati look like a little league town. Especially in a one run game. I know asking people to actually pay attention at a baseball game, crazy idea.

You want to throw your hands in the air go to Kings Island.

700 WLW
06-11-2007, 12:32 AM
I was at the game on Friday, and it was nice to be at a game with more than 25,000 fans. Sure, a lot of people were there just to see Homer's debut, but you can't fault them for that.

However, there were a few things that irritated me. I agree with Marty Brennaman completely on the topic of beach balls. I disdain them. Same feeling on the wave. Both distract from the game, and it often seems like fans are more interested in them than the action on the field.

OesterPoster
06-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Does anyone have the June 8th game on DVR or TIVO? I'm particularly interested in the section of the game when the Ohio Lottery representative awarded Reds-Indians prizes to people on the field. I didn't see it live, so I'm not sure which inning break it was during. Send me a PM if you have it. Thanks.

REDblooded
06-11-2007, 11:58 AM
I was there, and honestly, I made the remark to the guy sitting next to me about how if Homer was making his debut for Philly, Boston, or New York, you wouldn't have been able to hear yourself talk the entire game. I thought it was kinda dead.

Redskinalum02
06-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Personally, the wave doesn't bother me at all. Let fans have their fun. They paid just as much as you did to be there and participate however they see fit.

I thought about going to the game simply because I wanted to see Homer. Am I a fair-weather fan? No. I go to games all the time. Buying a ticket because there is a certain attraction for that particular game is not a problem. Let it go.

The general public does some pretty stupid stuff. If these are things that REALLY bother you about people, you need your head examined. How about worry about the guy sitting next to you and infringing upon your right to enjoy the game because he is shouting the F-Bomb in a drunken stupor the entire night when you have your 5 year old son or daughter at the game? That's the kind of stuff you can complain about, not people doing the wave for cryin' out loud.

EddieMilner
06-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Come on man, tell me how you really feel. I dont feel the need to post such a mature post as yours but I will just say the wave is a joke. How many times you see the wave at Fenway or Yankee Stadium? Seriously man grow up, it makes Cincinnati look like a little league town. Especially in a one run game. I know asking people to actually pay attention at a baseball game, crazy idea.

You want to throw your hands in the air go to Kings Island.

They also don't do the wave at Wrigley. And very few people pay attention to the game there.

Dunner44
06-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Does anyone have the June 8th game on DVR or TIVO? I'm particularly interested in the section of the game when the Ohio Lottery representative awarded Reds-Indians prizes to people on the field. I didn't see it live, so I'm not sure which inning break it was during. Send me a PM if you have it. Thanks.

The lotto prizes were early in the pre-game... like 6:45 or earlier.

Edd Roush
06-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Yeah, screw opinions.

Anyway, the game last night was, despite sitting in the VERY back seats, and I mean literally the last row of seats in the upper deck, the best game I have attended in my life.

Did I say that I hated them for valuing Sean Casey more than Adam Dunn? NO. I'm sure there are plenty of posters here on Redszone who have the same opinion about having never-ending debates with people about Adam Dunn's value and the supremacy of OPS over batting Average in terms of valuing one's offensive productivity. Don't single me out for discounting others opinions, when many on this board would say that the same pointless debates annoy them as well.

Boston Red
06-11-2007, 08:41 PM
How many times you see the wave at Fenway

Every single game. Believe that.

CWRed
06-11-2007, 08:48 PM
My brother and I are coming out this weekend but looks like we'll miss Homer on Thursday. This team is beyond frustrating but if I lived there I would buy season tickets every year until I died. Nothing like baseball in the summer. Here in Virginia Beach, we have the AAA Norfolk Tides (Baltimore affiliate, formerly Mets). It's great but nothing like the majors. You guys are so lucky. Can't wait to get there and sweep the Rangers!:beerme:

Chi-Town Red
06-11-2007, 09:04 PM
They also don't do the wave at Wrigley. And very few people pay attention to the game there.YUP

Homer Bailey
06-12-2007, 11:29 AM
I was there, and honestly, I made the remark to the guy sitting next to me about how if Homer was making his debut for Philly, Boston, or New York, you wouldn't have been able to hear yourself talk the entire game. I thought it was kinda dead.

Haha were you sitting in right field near the stacks about 10 rows up? I think I heard someone say that...

bounty37h
06-12-2007, 01:57 PM
There's nothing wrong with getting caught up in the hype and buying a ticket to see Homer pitch. I wish I could have been there instead of watching it from my home. You could feel the energy even on the television broadcast. Anyway, glad everyone had fun and I hope you witnessed history. Hopefully Homer Bailey will go on to have a wonderful career and you can say you were there the night it all began.

Relegs, you are so correct, nothing wrong with peeps buying tix to see Homer pitch. I only hope those same fans remember the team plays nights he doesnt pitch....and still need fans to cheer them on. Momentum was mentioned regarding this game, and how the players fed off it, fans can provide more momentum!!