PDA

View Full Version : Should Narron talk to Bill James?

icehole3
06-09-2007, 05:54 PM
He constantly talks to Terry Francona who has a big payroll like the Yankees to work with but he also manages the game by the numbers. You cant argue with his strategy because it seems to be working. My opinion is the Reds Sox have great pitching thats why theyre winning.

Anyway I watched his special and Bill thinks:
1. You shouldnt give up outs (sacrifice).
2. You shouldnt intentionally walk batters
3. You shouldnt steal bases.
4. You should use guys who have high win-share stats.

Steve4192
06-09-2007, 06:04 PM
I think you are over-generalizing what Bill James believes.

Bill James would be the first guy to tell you that sacrifices, intentional walks, stolen bases, and other small ball tactics have a place in baseball. He just believes you should use them judiciously and only under the proper circumstances.

icehole3
06-09-2007, 06:17 PM
From what he was saying on his special, his whole philosophy is based on outs and how bad they are.

GAC
06-09-2007, 06:54 PM
From what he was saying on his special, his whole philosophy is based on outs and how bad they are.

How bad are they? :laugh:

Falls City Beer
06-09-2007, 06:58 PM

They've been known to maul small housepets.

westofyou
06-09-2007, 07:04 PM

If you eat all 27 at once you can feel ill.

TOBTTReds
06-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Bill James is a member of the Red Sox staff. I doubt he can, or would talk to other teams.

GAC
06-09-2007, 07:15 PM
If you eat all 27 at once you can feel ill.

So they are like a bag of Oreos. :laugh:

KronoRed
06-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Do they speak the same language? ;)

westofyou
06-09-2007, 07:25 PM
So they are like a bag of Oreos. :laugh:

No.... Hydrox actually. :p:

Heath
06-09-2007, 08:56 PM
No.... Hydrox actually. :p:

Hydrox cookies are highly underrated. So are Joe-Joe Sandwich cookies from Trader Joe's.

Oreo's are third in that list.

RedsBaron
06-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Do they speak the same language? ;)

That is what I was thinking. I wonder if Narron would understand anything James would say,and James would probably soon be banging his head in frustration if he listened to Narron.

GAC
06-10-2007, 08:03 AM
That is what I was thinking. I wonder if Narron would understand anything James would say,and James would probably soon be banging his head in frustration if he listened to Narron.

I think it would be the only time that James would be looking in his Baseball Abstract under the "S" for variables on sucktitude, scrappy, and crap (but another word) for brains. :mooner:

icehole3
06-10-2007, 08:24 AM
So based on the expertise here on this board and everywhere else, it is everyone's strong belief that Narron would be speaking broken southern style english while Bill James would be speaking fluent spanish, which in turn would cause one to eat a complete bag of oreo cookies.

Highlifeman21
06-10-2007, 08:44 AM
So based on the expertise here on this board and everywhere else, it is everyone's strong belief that Narron would be speaking broken southern style english while Bill James would be speaking fluent spanish, which in turn would cause one to eat a complete bag of oreo cookies.

I don't think there is a consensus for the type of cookie consumed.

GAC
06-10-2007, 08:58 AM

No one would deny the influence and impact that Bill James, and his Baseball Abstract, has had on the game of baseball.

But what, I presume, is Bill James suppose to say to Jerry Narron?... or a vast majority of managers who are struggling to get their team to .500?

I enjoy stats. But one can also take statistical data and be a micro-manager (take it too far) IMHO.

icehole3
06-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Bill James supposedly councils with Terry Francona on how he should build a lineup based on certain criteria such as win shares and OPS etc, etc. James thinks instead of going righty lefty like our awe shucks manager likes to do, James gets Francona to go by the win share numbers and he puts all his top win share guys at the top and those guys get the most ABs instead of going righty lefty.

westofyou
06-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Bill James supposedly councils with Terry Francona on how he should build a lineup based on certain criteria such as win shares and OPS etc, etc. James thinks instead of going righty lefty like our awe shucks manager likes to do, James gets Francona to go by the win share numbers and he puts all his top win share guys at the top and those guys get the most ABs instead of going righty lefty.

That's a lot of hooey, James is on the record as providing the Red Sox with studies that they commission, he's one the many advisor's they have in the front office. As far as on the field activities he's also on the record as saying he's just that:

James: Well, I don't have any "say" in the sense that anything is my decision. Theo has decisions, the ownership has decisions, the scouting system has decisions, the minor league operation has decisions. I have opinions. When the guys who make decisions are in the process of making them, they sometimes ask for my opinion, and I give it. I try to figure out ways to be helpful.

http://www.overthemonster.com/story/2005/7/25/11726/4777

icehole3
06-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Take it easy WOY, no one has said Francona is ordered to do what James says, he councils him in an advisor's role thats all, nothing more nothing less.