PDA

View Full Version : RE: What is your ideal lineup?

TC81190
06-09-2007, 09:00 PM
From ORG (thanks again new **** system).

Here's mine:

1.) RF Ryan Freel - Did he forget how to take a walk? He's an odd bird, as this year his OBP is around .310, but began last year and the year before with enormous IsoD's of .100+! I have to think he'll even out in the end (if he uh...comes back :( ) to his norms around .350-.370, making him a good fit for the top of the lineup.

2.) 1B Adam Dunn - If ever there was a player who defined streaky, it's Adam Dunn. His .OBP and .SLG have sat around either .350 and .510 to .390 and .570 for most of the year. Still, his lower set of numbers are by no means bad, and he is 3rd in the NL in long balls, which means I won't be trading in the #44 on my back right now for a set of threads for awhile. :cool:

3.) 3B Edwin Encarnacion - Thank the lord that hideous slump is over. The new Brooks Robinson, as named so by a one Tracy Jones, is the clutchiest hitter on the team. Hopefully he can pick his power numbers back up a tad, but he learned how to string together four balls in one plate appearance again, as his OBP has return to his norms.

4.) LF Ken Griffey Jr. - He's an all-star again. Just behind #44 in dingers, he's hitting for average and learned how to walk again, he's this team's best hitter.

5.) 2B Brandon Phillips - #2 clutch guy on the team. He's got some surprising power numbers this year, he might have an outside chance as an all-star, too.

6.) CF Josh Hamilton - You know his story ( ;) ). NL Rookie of the Year 2007. He's 5 tools, including speed, power, average, and he can walk better than most too. Good protection for the lineup until he's ready to carry this team in the future. ;)

7.) SS Alex Gonzalez - GABP is a hitter's park, and it's worked wonders for this guy. He might not keep it up all year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 25 HR and maybe a .310 OBP/.460 SLG. Not too bad from a SS who also provides the best defense available in the league at his spot.

8. C Devin Mes....David Ross - Just kidding. He's been unlucky. He can walk, which is good. He has no ability to hit for average, even despite his previously mentioned bad luck. He'll hit around 25 HR though. Good for a catcher.

9. DH Scott Hatteberg - Hey, I don't make the rules. ;)

Degenerate39
06-09-2007, 09:07 PM
1. CF Hamilton
2. LF Dunn
3. 3rd Encarnacion
4. RF Griffey
5. 2nd Phillips
6. 1st Conine or Hatte
7. SS Gonzo
8. Catcher Ross
9. P. Homer Bailey

REDblooded
06-10-2007, 02:07 PM
1. CF- Hamilton
2. 2b- Phillips
3. RF- Griffey
4. 3b- EE
5. LF- Dunn
6. 1b- Hatte/Conine
7. C- Ross
8. SS- Gonzalez
9. SP- Homer/Harang/Arroyo/Lohse/Belisle

UC_Ken
06-10-2007, 02:12 PM
1. CF- Hamilton
2. 2b- Phillips
3. RF- Griffey
4. 3b- EE
5. LF- Dunn
6. 1b- Hatte/Conine
7. C- Ross
8. SS- Gonzalez
9. SP- Homer/Harang/Arroyo/Lohse/Belisle

Flip Gonzo and Ross and I'm in.

Chi-Town Red
06-10-2007, 03:38 PM
1) Phillips
2) Hamilton
3) Griffey
4) Encarnacion
5) Dunn
6) Gonzales
7) 1B Platoon
8) Ross
9) Pitcher

reds44
06-10-2007, 03:43 PM
1. Hamilton
2. Phillips
3. Griffey
4. Encarnacion
5. Dunn
6. Votto
7. Gonzalez
8. Ross

HumnHilghtFreel
06-10-2007, 03:45 PM
1.Hatteberg
2.Phillips
3.Griffey
4.Dunn
5.Encarnacion
6.Hamilton
7.Gonzales
8.Ross

with Conine in the lineup:

1.Hamilton
2.Phillips
3.Griffey
4.Dunn
5.Encarnacion
6.Conine
7.Gonzales
8.Ross

Both lineups, obviously, have a lack of Freel. Without having that guy that is the easier choice for leadoff hitter(Hopper has to be a bench guy with Hamilton back), flawed as he is, it makes putting together a lineup much harder.

Mitri
06-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Hamilton
Dunn
Encarnacion
Junior
Phillips
Votto
Gonzalez
Ross

He got it!
06-10-2007, 05:55 PM
A different lineup every few days, playing the matchups and riding the hot hand. Personally I think the "set" lineup is overrated. Until a certain lineup rips off 4 or 5 wins in a row I can't blame Jerry for juggling the lineup every night.

Oh, sorry - to answer the question...

Freel CF
Dunn LF
Griffey RF
Conine 1B
Encarnacion 3B
Phillips 2B
Gonzales SS
Valentin C
Harrang P

pahster
06-10-2007, 05:55 PM
As the roster is currently constructed...

Hatteberg
Dunn
Encarnacion
Griffey
Hamilton
Phillips
Gonzalez
Ross

Flip Gonzalez and Ross when the former stops slugging .500+ (which is likely to happen sooner rather than later) or when the latter starts getting on base again.

MississippiRed
06-10-2007, 07:53 PM
1. CF Hamilton
2. LF Dunn
3. 3rd Encarnacion
4. RF Griffey
5. 2nd Phillips
6. 1st Conine or Hatte
7. SS Gonzo
8. Catcher Ross
9. P. Homer Bailey

This is the correct lineup. If Freel plays, put him at the top and move everyone else down 1 spot until you get to who he's replacing.

boognish
06-10-2007, 08:33 PM
What fascinates me about Narron's proclivity for "breaking up lefties" is the other side of his mouth...we heard about Carmier, Bray AND Stanton at one time or other as "being able to get lefties and righties out."

This mini-rant is largely to defend my everyday lineup, because Dunn and Griffey don't drop off pricipitously against LH (by precipitously, I mean akin to Aurilia's 2006splits http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=aurilri01&year=2006), and Hatteberg has a platton partner to offset his sub-.700 career OPS vs. LHP.

vs. RHP:

Hatteberg 1B
Dunn LF
Griffey RF
Phillips 2B
Hamilton CF
Encarnacion 3B
Gonzalez SS
Ross C

vs. LHP:
Encarnacion 3B
Dunn LF
Phillips 2B
Griffey RF
Hamilton CF
Conine 1B
Gonzalez SS
Ross C

The issue is that in Hamilton, Phillips, and Encarnacion, we have 3 hitters who are best suited to hit fifth or sixth, and no OBP-speed combination to lead off (assuming Freel won't be back any time soon). It's a tough lineup to construct, but anything is an improvement over batting Conine cleanup in spite of 3 XBH in May--though he is heating up now. The self-imposed "breaking up lefties" conundrum is injurious largely because every RH hitter in the everyday lineup, Dunn, and our two main subs (Freel, Conine) are streaky hitters, leading to long offensive droughts.

Another point is that Hamilton should not rest exclusively against LHP. The more pitches he sees against them this season, all the better for his development.

REDblooded
06-10-2007, 09:27 PM
I don't care how much you like Freel's speed, he absolutely DOES NOT belong in the line-up over Hamilton. Hamilton makes an excellent lead-off for now. He consistently works the pitcher where Freel is overagressive, and doesn't make oodles of baserunning mistakes.

Ahhhorsepoo
06-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Hopper - LF
Hatteberg - 1B
Griff - RF
Phillips - 2B
Hamilton - CF
Encarnacion - 3B
A Gonzo - SS
Pitcher....
Ross - C

While I wouldnt really put the pitcher before ross or valentin, its almost a wash at this point when it comes to batting average..

Betterread
06-11-2007, 12:03 AM
1. Hatteberg 1B
2. Dunn LF
3. Griffey RF
4. Encarnacaion 3B
5. Hamilton CF
6. Phillips 2B
7. Gonzalez SS
8. catcher - Ross/Valentin/whoever we run out there

ED44
06-11-2007, 12:21 AM
VS RH

CF-Hamilton
LF-Dunn
3B-EdE
RF-JR
2B-Phillips
1B-Hatte
SS-Gonzo
C-Javy

VS LH

2B-Phillips
LF-Dunn
3B-EdE
RF-JR
1B-Conine
CF-Hamilton
SS-Gonzo
C-Ross

captain11
06-12-2007, 11:01 AM
after trading Dunn for a closer...I like

Hopper = LF
Phillips = 2B
Junior = RF
Edwin = 3B
Hamilton = CF
Con/Hat = 1B
Gonzo = SS
Ross = C
Pitcher

This lineup still hits plenty of HRs in our ballpark, but has more ability to create other scoring opportunities. The Reds continue to be among the leaders in longballs;however, way down on the overall runs scored list. We have to find other ways to score.

eastkyred
06-12-2007, 11:10 AM
vs. righty

Hatteberg
Phillips
Junior
EE
Hamilton
Dunn
Gonzo
Catcher

vs. Lefties
Hamilton
Phillips
Junior
EE
Conine
Dunn
Gonzo
Catcher

Also, against Lefties, I would play Hopper 1/2 the games rotating him for Hamilton, Junior, Dunn to give each a rest. That would probably end up being a day off every 3 weeks or so for each. When he was in for Hamilton, he hits first. When in for Junior or Dunn, Hopper hits first and Hamilton fills their slot in lineup.