PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Sowers optioned to AAA - Should the Reds try to get him?

MartyFan
06-10-2007, 12:43 PM
The Indians optioned Sowers to AAA...I would like to see the Reds make a move to get him...http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070610&content_id=2017724&vkey=pr_cle&fext=.jsp&c_id=cle

Who would it take and who would you be willing to move?

Arroyo?

Matt700wlw
06-10-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure if I'd want him....Bowden did, but he hasn't been all that...

edabbs44
06-10-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm not sure if I'd want him....Bowden did, but he hasn't been all that...

He's young, has a pedigree and had great success in the minors. Plus he'd be going from the best division in baseball to the worst.

No reason not to take a shot...I'd rather see him pitching than Lohse.

KronoRed
06-10-2007, 12:52 PM
I don't think the Reds ever wanted him, they knew he was going to college, it was a punt of a 1st round pick because of $

Matt700wlw
06-10-2007, 12:54 PM
He's young, has a pedigree and had great success in the minors. Plus he'd be going from the best division in baseball to the worst.

No reason not to take a shot...I'd rather see him pitching than Lohse.

That's a fair point.....I guess it's worth exploring...

pedro
06-10-2007, 12:54 PM
He'll never be anything more than a LOOGY IMO.

KronoRed
06-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Also, if he could be gotten cheap why not give it a try? even if he ended up in the pen that would be something.

pedro
06-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Also, if he could be gotten cheap why not give it a try? even if he ended up in the pen that would be something.

I doubt he could be gotten cheap at this point. IIRC, he got a pretty hefty signing bonus and the Indians aren't going to just walk away from that a year later IMO, even if they don't have much higher hopes for him than I do. They can afford to bury him in the minors right now and see if he figures it out. It's not like Phillips where he was out of options.

edabbs44
06-10-2007, 01:06 PM
I doubt he could be gotten cheap at this point. IIRC, he got a pretty hefty signing bonus and the Indians aren't going to just walk away from that a year later IMO, even if they don't have much higher hopes for him than I do. They can afford to bury him in the minors right now and see if he figures it out. It's not like Phillips where he was out of options.

That I agree with 100%. He's still a wanted commodity. He's still young, lefty and a former top 10 pick. Plenty of pitchers don't figure it out there 1st, 2nd or even 3rd time with the big club.

pedro
06-10-2007, 01:09 PM
That I agree with 100%. He's still a wanted commodity. He's still young, lefty and a former top 10 pick. Plenty of pitchers don't figure it out there 1st, 2nd or even 3rd time with the big club.

Yup, the Indians have 4 more years to decide what they want to do with Sowers if I'm calculating correctly.

RedsManRick
06-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Why in the world would you want a pitcher with a career K/9 of 3.23. That's 50% of mediocre. His ERA last year was pure fluke. He's not Wang with a 3.00 GB/FB ratio. Unless he learns how to strike guys out or force a ton more grounders, he's always going to allow way too many hits to be successful. If he didn't have a history with the Reds, I doubt anybody would be interested.

flyer85
06-10-2007, 02:14 PM
unless he figures out how to spike his K rate, future success as a starter is not on the horizon.

WVRed
06-10-2007, 05:47 PM
He'll never be anything more than a LOOGY IMO.

I don't know, the last time the Indians soured on a top prospect, it worked out pretty well for us.

traderumor
06-10-2007, 05:59 PM
I know about his success to make him a 1st rounder in HS and an ace at Vandy, but either he is a mess right now or he is a future AAAA type talent. The stuff is really underwhelming, and no thanks to another "crafty" (crappy) soft-tossing lefty.

LINEDRIVER
06-10-2007, 11:16 PM
Brandon Claussen, Part II ???

KronoRed
06-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Brandon Claussen, Part II ???

No torn stuff...yet

WVPacman
06-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Sowers atleast to me ins'nt that impressive at all!! Yes I know hes young and he pitched a fair game game againt us last night but lets be honest the reds are'nt tearing up the ball at all these days. If we could get him cheap then I would'nt mind giving him a chance in the bullpen but if we have to give up a player that we should keep then no way.If he is our only chice then I would rather see Lohse start.

Marc D
06-11-2007, 08:44 AM
Like Pedro said, right now he's a LOOGY at best and the Indians aren't going to just let him go for nothing(which is all anyone should offer at this point). Catch 22 that makes it hard to see him leaving Cleveland.

If they had any glaring needs for the stretch drive we could fill I certainly wouldn't target Sowers but who knows. I do trust WK's eye for young talent so far.

smith288
06-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Sowers looked very hittable. That doesnt always mean he's Reds material...

Chip R
06-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Sowers looked very hittable. That doesnt always mean he's Reds material...

On the contrary, hittable pitchers are usually Reds material. ;)

smith288
06-11-2007, 04:45 PM
On the contrary, hittable pitchers are usually Reds material. ;)
Right...it was ironical. :P