PDA

View Full Version : Reds pick retired player!

LoganBuck
06-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Way to do that background check guys!

17th round pick Jesse Craig

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/224863/

NorrisHopper30
06-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Saw this yesterday..wow. I can't believe that guy is doing that for his wife. Take the money retire in a few years then spend the rest of your life with her...sheesh.

Yachtzee
06-10-2007, 03:07 PM
I have no problem with them taking a 17th round flier on a pitcher with good stuff. Once that baby is born, he could always change his mind. Kids have a way of changing your thought processes.

The_jbh
06-10-2007, 03:28 PM
not in the 17th round... maybe round 50...

thats throwing a draft pick in the garbage

Red Heeler
06-10-2007, 03:53 PM
I understand that the guy wants to be around for his wife and child, but the solution is simple...move them. The signing bonus he would get would be a nice nest egg that would place him in a better financial position than the majority of recent college grads. Not a very smart or mature decision on his part.

redsmetz
06-10-2007, 04:22 PM
I have no problem with them taking a 17th round flier on a pitcher with good stuff. Once that baby is born, he could always change his mind. Kids have a way of changing your thought processes.

Given that you never sign all of your players, this is a no risk, high reward pick. He may well change his mind and then his our's. If he doesn't, nothing really lost.

SandyD
06-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Maybe he doesn't want a ball players life for his family. I wouldn't say that's an unwise or immature decision. The answer is not the same for everybody.

Team Clark
06-10-2007, 04:47 PM
I understand that the guy wants to be around for his wife and child, but the solution is simple...move them. The signing bonus he would get would be a nice nest egg that would place him in a better financial position than the majority of recent college grads. Not a very smart or mature decision on his part.

17th round money isn't that great. Although there have been guys who have held out and waited for clubs to give a little extra. If this was a 3-5th round guy I'd personally go drag him out of his house. :laugh:

SandyD
06-10-2007, 05:25 PM
an earlier article (http://http://www.lvrj.com/sports/7700567.html)

He's 24 ... wasn't drafted last year, or his last year of JUCO. He was drafted out of HS in 2001 (braves)

Who knows if his decision is changeable at all? If it's just about being there for the birth, that can be worked out.

edabbs44
06-10-2007, 05:53 PM
What a shame...I would have rather seen them take someone who slid b/c of signability concerns (Greg Peavey?) over this guy.

Eric_Davis
06-10-2007, 06:30 PM

So, does working for $30K a year. :laugh:

Eric_Davis
06-10-2007, 06:31 PM
17th round money isn't that great. Although there have been guys who have held out and waited for clubs to give a little extra. If this was a 3-5th round guy I'd personally go drag him out of his house. :laugh:

Like Aaron Hathaway.

TOBTTReds
06-10-2007, 09:46 PM

He wouldn't get 17th round money though. If he was legitimately taken in the 17th round for whatever reasons, he would ask for 10th round or better money (if he wanted to play) because he is better than that and everyone knows that. You think Porcello is getting late first round money? I know you know this, just explaining for others that might not.

Steve4192
06-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Board Member 1: I've never heard of half of these guys and the ones I do know are way past their prime.

Charlie Donovan: Most of these guys never had a prime.

Board Member 2: This guy here is dead.

Rachel Phelps: Cross him off then.

Yachtzee
06-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Board Member 1: I've never heard of half of these guys and the ones I do know are way past their prime.

Charlie Donovan: Most of these guys never had a prime.

Board Member 2: This guy here is dead.

Rachel Phelps: Cross him off then.

Did the Reds draft anyone from the California Penal League?

Red Heeler
06-11-2007, 09:10 AM

I'm willing to bet that 17th round money is a better signing bonus than what the majority of college grads will get at their first job.

Triples
06-11-2007, 10:27 AM
I don't know what college grads are getting at their first job, signing bonus or salary; but a 17th rounder will be lucky to knock down $15k as a signing bonus. And, you can't raise a family on a minor leaguer's salary. Then again, we're assuming that the Red's didn't know he was "retiring". The scout grapevine works pretty well on these types of things, so even if the Reds didn't call him they may have known but decided a long time ago to take a flyer on the guy knowing he was a legit 5-10 rounder. They may dangle a signing bonus comensurate with a 5th rounder and see what happens. If it works WK and his minions will be brilliant and all their peers will be jealous; not to mention great fodder for RZ. If they're wrong, they'll still be great fodder for the RZ. If they really didn't do their homework then Castallini should castigate WK and his minions severely as I'm sure they will be here on the RZ.

I'm willing to bet that 17th round money is a better signing bonus than what the majority of college grads will get at their first job.

jmble
06-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Give the guy a break. He's graduating from BYU. He's probably Mormon. Mormon's are usually very family oriented. (And no I'm not making any Big Love jokes here) He probably wants to have a normal life with his family. He probably doesn't want to spend five years moving from minor league team to minor league team. Whatever the reasons, I'm sure he made the right decision for him.

TOBTTReds
06-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Give the guy a break. He's graduating from BYU. He's probably Mormon. Mormon's are usually very family oriented. (And no I'm not making any Big Love jokes here) He probably wants to have a normal life with his family. He probably doesn't want to spend five years moving from minor league team to minor league team. Whatever the reasons, I'm sure he made the right decision for him.

I don't think anyone is bashing him, just the Reds for picking a guy who isn't playing baseball.

Also, I think he is 24 years old already. He was picked out of High School in 2001. Is he ML ready? He probably went on his mission trip or whatever they do at BYU.

From his bio:

Personal
Born in Las Vegas ... parents are Bill and Robin ... served a Church mission to Rochester, New York ... recruited by Oklahoma State, Tennessee, Cal-Irvine and Louisiana-Layfayette ... ...wife's name is Stephanie ... majoring in exercise science with an emphasis in athletic training.

jmble
06-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Most of the people here weren't bashing him. And I agree with the bashing of the Reds for picking him.

I was speaking more directly to whoever was saying that he's not thinking of his family by turning down the major league contract...

Red Heeler
06-11-2007, 06:36 PM
I don't know what college grads are getting at their first job, signing bonus or salary; but a 17th rounder will be lucky to knock down $15k as a signing bonus. And, you can't raise a family on a minor leaguer's salary.

After doing a bit more research, maybe the guy didn't make such a bad decision. I did not realize just how little a first year minor leaguer makes in salary. If you break it down to a 40 hour week, it is just barely minimum wage. I would have guessed it at about 2 to 3 times that.

LoganBuck
06-11-2007, 11:24 PM
After doing a bit more research, maybe the guy didn't make such a bad decision. I did not realize just how little a first year minor leaguer makes in salary. If you break it down to a 40 hour week, it is just barely minimum wage. I would have guessed it at about 2 to 3 times that.

It is actually worse if you figure in Febuary 15th as the report date for Pitchers and catchers. Add instructional league, and it sounds scary.

For anyone that knows do they compensate the young players during the winter instructional league, or extended spring training?