PDA

View Full Version : Who's the best reliever in the game right now?

Eric_Davis
06-10-2007, 06:52 PM
My vote is for Putz.

You hand him the ball and you just sit and watch the incredible performance.

Spitball
06-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Putz may very well be the best right now. However, he does pitch in a pitcher's park, and, though he's given up only four runs this season, he also has given up three homeruns.

Actually, I have seen very little of Putz. I do know that his name sounds more like a cartoon character than a menacing closer.

RedsManRick
06-10-2007, 08:29 PM
I'll take Joe Nathan.

Mario-Rijo
06-10-2007, 08:29 PM
I gotta go with K-Rod off the top of my head! Sure he gives up some runs here and there and blows some saves occ. but for as often as they use him he gets the job done alot and his stuff is downright dirty.

guttle11
06-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Best is an impossible question to answer.

However, if I had a one run lead late in Game 7, I want the ball in Trevor Hoffman's right hand.

RedlegNation
06-10-2007, 09:57 PM
You mean, other than Gary Majewski? Long live the Majewk Man.

:)

Sea Ray
06-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Best is an impossible question to answer.

However, if I had a one run lead late in Game 7, I want the ball in Trevor Hoffman's right hand.

But not in an All Star game...

Sea Ray
06-10-2007, 10:42 PM
My vote is for Putz.

You hand him the ball and you just sit and watch the incredible performance.

I've got to agree with you. He's been much more automatic this year than K Rod and the others listed.

Reds fans will know him better two weeks from now. He throws 96, throws strikes and has a devastating split finger that he uses sparingly but is unhittable. He reminds me of Brad Lidge a couple years ago.

Eric_Davis
06-11-2007, 04:16 AM
Putz may very well be the best right now. However, he does pitch in a pitcher's park, and, though he's given up only four runs this season, he also has given up three homeruns.

Actually, I have seen very little of Putz. I do know that his name sounds more like a cartoon character than a menacing closer.

Just for the record, the three homeruns were all given up at Safeco where he's 10 for 10 in Save Opportunities giving up only 4 runs in 18.1 IP. Those 18.1 IP also had 22K's and only 3BB's....and only 10 hits.

His road performances this year:

8 for 8 in Save Opportunities.

11 IP; 2 H; 0 R; 2 BB; 9 K; ERA of 0.00.

Since April 20th he's 18 for 18 in Save Opportunities (no opportunities before that):

25.1 IP; 8 H; 2 R; 1 HR; 5 BB; 28 K; ERA of 0.71

Jpup
06-11-2007, 06:51 AM
Mariano Rivera, Okajima, Papelbon. Putz would be very high on any list as well. A very good guy that no one knows. Eric Gagne is still unhittable when he is healthy.

National League guys that are performing, Billy Wagner has been sensational this season as has Hoffman, Saito, Isringhausen, and how about Henry Owens and Keven Gregg of the Marlins.

Look at this line:

20 1/3 IP 1 Run 10 Hits 18 K 15 BB

Who is it? Kevin Cameron of San Diego.

Heath Bell has been lights out for the Mets this season too.

Those are a lot of familiar names, but a lot of them, some people may never have heard of.

Sea Ray
06-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Mariano Rivera, Okajima, Papelbon. Putz would be very high on any list as well. A very good guy that no one knows. Eric Gagne is still unhittable when he is healthy.

National League guys that are performing, Billy Wagner has been sensational this season as has Hoffman, Saito, Isringhausen, and how about Henry Owens and Keven Gregg of the Marlins.

Look at this line:

20 1/3 IP 1 Run 10 Hits 18 K 15 BB

Who is it? Kevin Cameron of San Diego.

Heath Bell has been lights out for the Mets this season too.

Those are a lot of familiar names, but a lot of them, some people may never have heard of.

I don't know where you're getting your stats but I show that Cameron has allowed 6 runs and 20 hits in 14 innings

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/C/Kevin-Cameron.shtml

And Heath Bell pitches for the Padres, not the Mets. I saw him pitch yesterday vs Seattle. Have you seen these guys pitch or are you just reading a stat sheet?

Johnny Footstool
06-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Before this last weekend, it was Francisco Cordero. The guy had been untouchable: .036 ERA, 24.2 IP, 35 K, 8 BB.

Two games later, his ERA is 2.05, but his WHIP is still 0.87.

princeton
06-11-2007, 11:42 AM
has any athlete ever reversed the entire meaning of a word?

"definitely just a putz" becomes "he just might be another Putz!"

as a team that traditionally pitches many putzes, I see the increased value of putzes as nothing but good for us.

Mario-Rijo
06-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Before this last weekend, it was Francisco Cordero. The guy had been untouchable: .036 ERA, 24.2 IP, 35 K, 8 BB.

Two games later, his ERA is 2.05, but his WHIP is still 0.87.

I think that was a product of him finally facing someone who knows him all too well, (Texas). Once we get another look or 2 of him he will start coughing it up to us as well IMO.

Johnny Footstool
06-12-2007, 12:15 AM
I think that was a product of him finally facing someone who knows him all too well, (Texas). Once we get another look or 2 of him he will start coughing it up to us as well IMO.

He pitched for the Brewers for two months last season, with less success. I think he's pitching for a contract, and is a bit over his head. His old team just knew his tendencies and his "tells" better than anyone -- and they should, considering that he pitched for them for several years.

RedEye
06-13-2007, 01:23 AM
I think I'll cast another vote for Nathan. K-Rod, Putz, and Hoffman are the others I thought about.

I'd also watch out for two setup guys who should get their shots soon: Joel Zumaya (although he's currently injured) and Rafael Soriano. They both have sick stuff that should translate to the closer role and put them near the top of this list.

Okay, I know, I can't vote for everybody.