PDA

View Full Version : Brady Clark DFA'd

remdog
06-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Didn't see this elsewhere....

Dodgers Recall Loney, Designate Clark for Assignment
Jun 10, 3:37 PM (ET) Email this Story

LOS ANGELES (AP) -The Dodgers, looking for some punch in the wake of their second 1-0 loss in five games, recalled first baseman-outfielder James Loney from Triple-A Las Vegas on Sunday and designated outfielder Brady Clark for assignment.
The 23-year-old Loney, who hit .279 with one homer and 32 RBIs in 58 games at Las Vegas, arrived at Dodger Stadium about two hours before game time and was in the lineup against Toronto ace Roy Halladay, batting sixth and playing first base as a fill-in for Nomar Garciaparra.

"Coming into the season, we had plans to give Nomar more regular days off," Dodgers manager Grady Little said. "So far, we haven't been able to do that. What we're looking at is September and October."

Loney, the 19th overall pick in the 2002 first-year player draft, played in 48 games for the Dodgers last season, hitting .284 with four homers and 18 RBIs. He led the team in spring training with a .414 average in 28 games.

"It feels great," he said of being recalled. "I'm glad to be back, get an opportunity to help the team in any way I can."

The 34-year-old Clark, acquired in a spring training trade from the Milwaukee Brewers, played in 47 games for the Dodgers, hitting .224 with no homers and five RBIs. He was used mostly as a pinch hitter or late-game replacement, getting 13 hits in 58 at-bats.

The Dodgers have 10 days to either trade or release Clark, who said he believes he'll become a free agent.

"It's a business," he said. "It's part of the game. I think it's a blessing in disguise for me. I hope it is. Everything happens for a reason. There are 29 other teams - hopefully there's a place for me."

He's a right-handed bat and plays good defense. I don't know if there is a place on the roster for him but....

Any thoughts?

Rem

KronoRed
06-10-2007, 11:18 PM
He sounds like what we have right now in Hopper.

Sea Ray
06-10-2007, 11:45 PM
If he wants to help out at Louisville great but it sounds like he wants a major league job.

smith288
06-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Yea.....uh, no. AAAA player who played out of his mind for a year or so.

BCubb2003
06-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Jeremy Sowers and Chad Mottola on the all-potential ex-Reds team.

OldRightHander
06-11-2007, 12:28 AM

Along with Brandon Larson.

TOBTTReds
06-11-2007, 12:56 AM
Along with Brandon Larson.

He's the team captain...Claussen makes it too.

The_jbh
06-11-2007, 01:23 AM
Atleast Claussen had some success at the ML level with the reds

Team Clark
06-11-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm a big Brady Clark fan but I'm not sure if he would fit the Reds plans. Hopper is playing very well and if Freel ever makes it back there is certainly no room for a Brady Clark. Narron's favorite 6th OF is Dewayne Wise. That is a whole lot of hurdles to jump in Cincy. Good luck Brady.

One BIG thing going for Clark is that he does play the game the right way.

redsmetz
06-11-2007, 10:25 AM

Not to quibble, but Jeremy Sowers was never a Red; he never signed a contract with us.

westofyou
06-11-2007, 11:27 AM
One BIG thing going for Clark is that he does play the game the right way.

And that and 10 cents will get you a job in the outfield in todays game.

Brady is from Portland, Wilson High IIRC, not too many MLB players come out of this rain forest.

westofyou
06-11-2007, 11:30 AM
He's the team captain...Claussen makes it too.

There have been worse, between 1970-1982 only two Reds first Rounders made it to MLB, Ron Robinson (1980) took 8 years to get there Nick Esacky (1978) took 5 years to get there. And those are the best two players in the 13 years of picking.

RedsManRick
06-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Not to quibble, but Jeremy Sowers was never a Red; he never signed a contract with us.

Maybe he meant Chris Gruler or Ty Howington. By the way, I think we should build a 25 "never-was" roster.

westofyou
06-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Maybe he meant Chris Gruler or Ty Howington. By the way, I think we should build a 25 "never-was" roster.

Gruler for sure, next to Stillwell (#2 -1983) Gruler was the Reds highest pick ever (#3)

oregonred
06-11-2007, 11:40 PM
And that and 10 cents will get you a job in the outfield in todays game.

Brady is from Portland, Wilson High IIRC, not too many MLB players come out of this rain forest.

Sunset HS. Right down the road from me before we up and moved to the Tropics on ya ;)

RedEye
06-12-2007, 01:24 AM
There have been worse, between 1970-1982 only two Reds first Rounders made it to MLB, Ron Robinson (1980) took 8 years to get there Nick Esacky (1978) took 5 years to get there. And those are the best two players in the 13 years of picking.

Wow. In a few years, the Reds might have two (Bailey and Bruce) back-to-back! When's the last time this team drafted well in the first round? I'm assuming it got better in the mid 80s with Larkin?

Mainspark
06-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Per Rotoworld:

The San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that the Padres will likely sign Brady Clark if the Dodgers are unable to trade him before he becomes a free agent.
Clark was designated for assignment by the Dodgers last week. The Mets and Rockies reportedly also have interest in Clark, but the former University of San Diego star might jump at the opportunity to return to his former hometown.

15fan
06-14-2007, 12:51 PM
I'd like to nominate John Oliver for captain of the ne'er-was team.

Roy Tucker
06-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Gruler for sure, next to Stillwell (#2 -1983) Gruler was the Reds highest pick ever (#3)

Stillwell at least got to the majors and had some middling success at the MLB level.

He showed enough with 2 years with the Reds to net them Danny Jackson. I think he was an All-Star his first year with the Royals and lasted with them a few seasons.

At the time, I thought the Reds should have kept Stillwell and dealt Larkin. Kurt was scrappy. Shows you the baseball acumen I have.

Jaycint
06-14-2007, 02:20 PM

Oy vey....

KronoRed
06-14-2007, 03:01 PM
Stillwell at least got to the majors and had some middling success at the MLB level.

He showed enough with 2 years with the Reds to net them Danny Jackson. I think he was an All-Star his first year with the Royals and lasted with them a few seasons.

At the time, I thought the Reds should have kept Stillwell and dealt Larkin. Kurt was scrappy. Shows you the baseball acumen I have.

Note to self, plan to hire Roy to be GM has some fatal flaws ;)