PDA

View Full Version : Nuxhall Brennaman Hoyt tribute

WVPacman
06-11-2007, 01:10 AM
Sorry if somebody has already started thread, I looked and did'nt see one.

Anyways what did you think about the tribute?? guys I don't know about you but I just watched it and I can honestly say that that was very hard to watch.Watching all the great calls,great memorys,and great friendships between all three of them was great to watch.The hardest part to watch thow was poor old Nuxy struggling fighting back the tears when Marty was saying great things about him then his video tribute seemed to bring back more tears.Nuxy got up there doing his speach and the tv camra zoomed in on Marty and he looked like he was fighting back tears b/c he had his hand over his mouth looking down at the ground.

Guys I listened to those two since I was six years old on my tranzister radio every day and night that the reds played.I can honestly say that those two(even thow they an't) feel like they are a part of my family.I know im probably echoing everybody else on here but I feel like im the luckest baseball fan on the face of the earth b/c I am one of the lucky ones that got to listen to the best reds baseball radio announcers thats ever announced a reds game.

They're still one thing that I would love to have from Marty and Joe and thats their autogragh.I have wanted their autograghs since I was six but never had the chance or opurtunity to be lucky enough to get their autograghs.I'll probably never get it BUT if somebody on this site that knows some how for me to get their autograghs then I could'nt think you enough.Do they have a website,email or anything so I could get a hold of them some how.

WVRedsFan
06-11-2007, 01:23 AM
Pac:

I grew up with Waite Hoyt. Hoyt was like a god to my dad. If you can imagine, the broadcast started with the John Phillip Sousa march, "El Capitan" and were sponsored by Burger Beer. All I knew was Waite Hoyt from birth until he retired in, I think, 1965. Gene Kelly had been his sidekick, but they brought in Claude Sullivan to be the color man in about 1964 (once again, i'm guessing) and he took over. Dad and I simply couldn't get used to anyone who came in. I listen to Hoyt's pbp today and it brings back the kinds of memories you get when hearing Marty and Joe.

And Marty and Joe are my memories of the success of this team. Al Michaels wasn't around long enough to get used to, but M&J were there for all the pennants and championships. Hoyt was there for 1961, but it was Michaels in 1970 and M&J in 1975, 1976, and 1990 (not to count the division championships). You know, we used to contend for those every year. My, things have really gone south...

WVPacman
06-11-2007, 01:34 AM
Pac:

I grew up with Waite Hoyt. Hoyt was like a god to my dad. If you can imagine, the broadcast started with the John Phillip Sousa march, "El Capitan" and were sponsored by Burger Beer. All I knew was Waite Hoyt from birth until he retired in, I think, 1965. Gene Kelly had been his sidekick, but they brought in Claude Sullivan to be the color man in about 1964 (once again, i'm guessing) and he took over. Dad and I simply couldn't get used to anyone who came in. I listen to Hoyt's pbp today and it brings back the kinds of memories you get when hearing Marty and Joe.

And Marty and Joe are my memories of the success of this team. Al Michaels wasn't around long enough to get used to, but M&J were there for all the pennants and championships. Hoyt was there for 1961, but it was Michaels in 1970 and M&J in 1975, 1976, and 1990 (not to count the division championships). You know, we used to contend for those every year. My, things have really gone south...

Yeah im sure Hoyt was a great announcer,I wished I was lucky enough to have gotten to listen to him.Those three are truly one of a kind.

Ltlabner
06-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Was there for the ceramony. I thought it was very tastefully done and frankly was a little emotional. I'm not sure why, but watching the video clips of the various announcers was getting me a little. I definatley liked that they saved Joe for last as sort of "top billing" if you will.

I must admit, however, that we listened to the CD they gave out on the drive home. Everybody has always raved about Hoyt's story telling. I have to be prefectly honest....I thought they were totally boring. They were taken out of context, perhaps they picked out some bummer clips, or maybe those were the few that have been preserved? So I woln't condem him, but I was definatley dissapointed. OTOH, it was really cool hearing his game calling. You definaley hear the "oldness" of them. The pace of the PBP, the quality of the sound, even the sounds of the game sounded "old".

Overall, very nicely done I thought.

Jpup
06-11-2007, 08:13 AM
is this available online?

OldRightHander
06-11-2007, 08:22 AM
is this available online?

I've got it on my DVR. Would it be illegal to make copies? Not that I would ever do such a thing. :devil:

RedFanAlways1966
06-11-2007, 09:03 AM
I must admit, however, that we listened to the CD they gave out on the drive home. Everybody has always raved about Hoyt's story telling. I have to be prefectly honest....I thought they were totally boring. They were taken out of context, perhaps they picked out some bummer clips, or maybe those were the few that have been preserved? So I woln't condem him, but I was definatley dissapointed.

My late grandfather used to talk about Hoyt's stories. He loved them. He thought they were so good that Gramps didn't mind a long rain-delay so Hoyt could tell his stories.

It might be one of those generation things. I have never heard much of Hoyt or his stories... although I did see part of an interview on PBS with him one time. It seems that those who were alive during the Depression era really loved Waite Hoyt's stories.

Always Red
06-11-2007, 09:56 AM
In retrospect, Hoyt's story's probably are a little boring, especially when set into the modern context.

But Hoyt lived and worked during an era of very little TV, certainly no documentaries, etc. There was very little media about sports other than The Sporting News, certainly not the wall to wall 24/7, ESPN-type coverage of today. There weren't any video collections around of those great Yankees teams of the 20's and 30's, and Hoyt really was the voice of history, to Cincinnati fans, about those times and those teams.

My dad grew up listening to Waite Hoyt, and absolutely revered the man.

And Hoyt loved the Reds and Cincinnati, much like Joe Nuxhall, which is part of the reason he is so revered by the older crowd.

I'm sorry I missed the tribute; it would have been great to see!

PS- you're right about the rain delays; 66, Dad and Grandpa used to carry on about wanting it to rain all of the time, so they could hear another story.

cumberlandreds
06-11-2007, 10:00 AM
I thought it was a great tribute. I have it recorded on my DVR and I think I will tape it off and keep it. Like others have said,Marty and Joe seem like family members. They came into my home when I was young and have kept visiting for over 30 years. It's sad to see Joe looking so old and I teared up watching him yesterday. He's a great treasure for the Reds and maybe the most beloved person in Reds history. I would have loved to have been able to hear Waite Hoyt. Just a little too young for him. I'm sure I would have loved his stories.

cumberlandreds
06-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Sorry if somebody has already started thread, I looked and did'nt see one.

Anyways what did you think about the tribute?? guys I don't know about you but I just watched it and I can honestly say that that was very hard to watch.Watching all the great calls,great memorys,and great friendships between all three of them was great to watch.The hardest part to watch thow was poor old Nuxy struggling fighting back the tears when Marty was saying great things about him then his video tribute seemed to bring back more tears.Nuxy got up there doing his speach and the tv camra zoomed in on Marty and he looked like he was fighting back tears b/c he had his hand over his mouth looking down at the ground.

Guys I listened to those two since I was six years old on my tranzister radio every day and night that the reds played.I can honestly say that those two(even thow they an't) feel like they are a part of my family.I know im probably echoing everybody else on here but I feel like im the luckest baseball fan on the face of the earth b/c I am one of the lucky ones that got to listen to the best reds baseball radio announcers thats ever announced a reds game.

They're still one thing that I would love to have from Marty and Joe and thats their autogragh.I have wanted their autograghs since I was six but never had the chance or opurtunity to be lucky enough to get their autograghs.I'll probably never get it BUT if somebody on this site that knows some how for me to get their autograghs then I could'nt think you enough.Do they have a website,email or anything so I could get a hold of them some how.

I do have their autographs. My oldest brother many years ago gave me one of the albums of Reds highlights(75 or 76 season). Where he bought it Marty and Joe were there autographing albums. I still have this with plastic covering their autographs so there won't be smeared or wiped away. I really treasure this now and one of the best memorabilia I own.

Chip R
06-11-2007, 10:04 AM

I'd contact the Reds and see if they can help you. Or just send a SASE to them with a letter requesting their autographs.

gonelong
06-11-2007, 11:53 AM
I used to plan any kind of task or chore around the Reds game so I could be mowing the lawn or in the garage listening to the game.

I really miss Nux on the Radio, so much so that I can't bring myself to listen to the games on radio at all any more. It just isn't the same without Nuxy.

GL

WVPacman
06-11-2007, 07:13 PM
I'd contact the Reds and see if they can help you. Or just send a SASE to them with a letter requesting their autographs.

Whats a SASE??

BuckeyeRedleg
06-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Self addressed stamped envelope.

WV, let me check. I may have an extra Marty signed ball for you.

WVPacman
06-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Self addressed stamped envelope.

WV, let me check. I may have an extra Marty signed ball for you.

Nah thats ok bud,keep it for you and your family!!! I will send them a letter and get theirs.

Chip,pm me the address and I will give it a shot.thanks

Chip R
06-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Nah thats ok bud,keep it for you and your family!!! I will send them a letter and get theirs.

Chip,pm me the address and I will give it a shot.thanks

I'd just send it to them in care of the Reds at the stadium's address. It's worth a shot. If they don't respond, all you've lost is a couple of bucks in postage.

WVPacman
06-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Was there for the ceramony. I thought it was very tastefully done and frankly was a little emotional. I'm not sure why, but watching the video clips of the various announcers was getting me a little. I definatley liked that they saved Joe for last as sort of "top billing" if you will.

Don't be ashamed of getting alittle emotional were you was watching it b/c I figure alot of fans did.I know it was very hard for me to watch it were nuxy and Marty was fighting back tears. Those two are amazing and will forever be my favorite sports annoucers of all time.:beerme:

WVPacman
06-11-2007, 07:41 PM
I'd just send it to them in care of the Reds at the stadium's address. It's worth a shot. If they don't respond, all you've lost is a couple of bucks in postage.

Thats what I'll do!! I'll look for the reds address sometime tonight and I will send the letter to them.Like you said if I don't get the autograghs then all I would lose is two dollors. Whether I get the autograghs or not one thing will still be the same... They will always be the greatest in my book.
:beerme: