PDA

View Full Version : Twins looking for offense

edabbs44
06-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Hopefully WK is on the phone.

Twins' offense cries out for another bat
As the Twins consider trade options to bolster their inconsistent lineup, their focus appears to be adding a designated hitter or third baseman.

By Joe Christensen, Star Tribune

As the Twins consider trade options to bolster their inconsistent lineup, their focus appears to be adding a designated hitter or third baseman.
Twins manager Ron Gardenhire acknowledged the need Sunday during his weekly radio show.

"You'd like to have one big bat, another big bat, either in the DH spot, or maybe put him at third base and put [Nick] Punto in the middle of the infield," Gardenhire told KSTP AM-1500. "Yeah, there's options. There's things that we can do here to probably improve it and give us even more depth all the way down through the lineup."

There are indications that one player the Twins could target is Tampa Bay infielder Ty Wigginton, a righthanded hitter who is batting .263 with 11 home runs and 33 RBI.

Wigginton, 29, is making $2.7 million this season, keeping him in the Twins' price range. Tampa Bay needs pitching, making the Devil Rays a good match for a team flush with pitching prospects.

When asked during his pregame session with reporters if his team needed another bat, Gardenhire said, "I think that's easy to say with any team. ... It's easy to say, but it's not that easy to go find.

"I think our organization is willing to go out there if it's the right fit and you don't ask too much for it. So after the draft now, it gets closer to the time when maybe they can start looking around and talking about it.

"Right now, all I can worry about is what we have here and trying to get on a roll with this offense."

http://www.startribune.com/twins/story/1237524.html

BRM
06-11-2007, 10:04 AM
I doubt Dunn is their kind of hitter, although they are looking for a DH. Griffey probably wouldn't approve a trade there. I'm sure they would love to have EE but I'd rather the Reds hung onto him. Who else would they be interested in?

RedsManRick
06-11-2007, 10:14 AM
I hear Juan Castro has some pop in his bat and deserves more playing time. The guys on TV said so!

MrCinatit
06-11-2007, 10:27 AM
I hear Juan Castro has some pop in his bat and deserves more playing time. The guys on TV said so!

For Manos de Oro? We better get something good.
I'll take the guy they have starting at catcher and, I don't know, let them throw in a pitcher whose been on the DL all year.

KronoRed
06-11-2007, 12:30 PM
For Manos de Oro? We better get something good.
I'll take the guy they have starting at catcher and, I don't know, let them throw in a pitcher whose been on the DL all year.

That's using your noggin :D

WVRedsFan
06-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Minnesota needs more offense? So do we. And how do we propose to do that by trading Dunn for more Minnesota people? We have tried enough former Twins IMHO.

But it would not surprise me to see Wayne go for the Twin connection again in some way. Junior won't go there and we'd get squat for Dunn. Sounds like a trade Wayne could make...:(

gm
06-11-2007, 05:59 PM
The real trick would be making the salaries match, on the Twin's roster only Santana and Torii Hunter earn more than 6 mil

Minn isn't going to take on salary and trade quality pitching...unless they look at Dunn as the only way to kick start their offense

blumj
06-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Funny, I was thinking of the Twins as a potential match for WMP, considering they don't have a DH and he'd fit their budget. But they usually play it pretty safe, and a Ty Wigginton type is more their MO.

KoryMac5
06-11-2007, 06:58 PM
I saw this rumor too, I did some further reading online which stated that the Twins were not looking to add a sizable salary. Now the Yankees on the other hand are a different story.