View Full Version : Mike Stanton's past 4 weeks

Danny Serafini
06-11-2007, 09:03 AM
1.32 ERA
1.39 WHIP
7.90 K/9
1.32 BB/9
6.00 K/BB

With all the calls to dump him and eat his contract, I thought this was interesting.

redsfan30
06-11-2007, 09:11 AM
He's been much, much better recently. Some of those curve balls he threw in the 8th inning yesterday afternoon were just plain sick.

Always Red
06-11-2007, 09:18 AM
He's been much, much better recently. Some of those curve balls he threw in the 8th inning yesterday afternoon were just plain sick.

Yes, they were.

For as much as we beat on him earlier in the year (and he deserved it), I will tip my cap to him now, because he has pitched well of late.

redsmetz
06-11-2007, 09:18 AM
What I saw on Friday night was very impressive. I believe this is the pitcher WK was looking for when he signed him. That said, I've always assumed that Stanton's contract was structure to move him if something of value comes along. But I'd never DFA him - he'll have some value somewhere, whether on our staff or bringing prospects in a trade.

Ltlabner
06-11-2007, 09:33 AM
He was definatley much more effective yesterday. He'll never be a world beater but I have to tip the cap to him for an excellent performance yesterday.

I'd still be on the phones non-stop trying to move him, however.

Sea Ray
06-11-2007, 09:42 AM
What are his stats on inherited runners scoring? A guy like Stanton, a situational lefty, can't really be judged solely on the stats you posted.

He was throwing well in April and he's back to looking like that now.

jojo
06-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Basically pitchers lacking the ability make hitters miss will be pretty volatile concerning their performance.

PuffyPig
06-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Basically pitchers lacking the ability make hitters miss will be pretty volatile concerning their performance.

Stanton has the ability to miss bats, his K rate has always been good.His K rate of 6.85 (and increasing) per 9 innings is right in line with his career rate of 7.28.

His DIPS ERA is 3.62 so he's not doing it with mirrors.

MrCinatit
06-11-2007, 09:57 AM
When Wayne began bringing in the old guys (Stanton, Conine, et al), I had hopes that they would be used as trade deadline bait, should we be out of it by the middle of the year.
I still have hopes that will come to fruition as the deadline approaches, and hopefully these signings will not be money burnt.
With this, I am hoping Stanton is simply helping us obtain a youngster or two who will help us in the future with his recent performance. It sometimes seems lefties are in need - no matter how old - near the end of the season.

Joseph
06-11-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm not a huge 'scout' type guy, but watching all the way from out in LF yesterday I noticed that Stanton significantly slowed his delivery on his off speed stuff. If I could pick up on that, its no wonder that major leaguers have hit him around. I suspect they will start to do so again and we'll all be back to complaining.

Sea Ray
06-11-2007, 10:47 AM
When Wayne began bringing in the old guys (Stanton, Conine, et al), I had hopes that they would be used as trade deadline bait, should we be out of it by the middle of the year.
I still have hopes that will come to fruition as the deadline approaches, and hopefully these signings will not be money burnt.
With this, I am hoping Stanton is simply helping us obtain a youngster or two who will help us in the future with his recent performance. It sometimes seems lefties are in need - no matter how old - near the end of the season.

My problem is with the 2 yr contract he gave Stanton. I could be wrong but I think that'll be a deterent to moving him at the deadline.

KoryMac5
06-11-2007, 11:12 AM
My problem is with the 2 yr contract he gave Stanton. I could be wrong but I think that'll be a deterent to moving him at the deadline.

You only have to make one call in order to move Stanton. The Yankees are starting their midseason climb but are desperate for a lefty. Stanton would be a perfect fit on that club.

paulrichjr
06-11-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm glad someone started this thread because I have meant to do this for two days now. The guy was awesome all weekend and has been for quite some time. I think if he continues and we don't put up a 16 out of 20 win streak or something to get back in it, he will be very tradeable even with his contract. In fact his contract might even help. A team looking to make the playoffs knows exactly what he is capable of because of his track record. With the market for relievers being horrible right now a reliever that is "good" (like now) and with playoff experience (like Stanton's) will be very valuable in July.

redsmetz
06-11-2007, 11:39 AM
You only have to make one call in order to move Stanton. The Yankees are starting their midseason climb but are desperate for a lefty. Stanton would be a perfect fit on that club.

I continue to think you are right with this contract. I think too, the same may be true for either Conine and/or Hatteberg. For that matter, should Freel heal up, I think his contract is moveable. I very well could be wrong, but I think this has been WK's method since he arrived here. It doesn't always work (e.g. Cormier), but from time to time, it will. Of course, we'll see.

KronoRed
06-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Glad to see him get hot, trade bait.

smith288
06-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Y'all see him move like a cat off the mound? Pure athleticism on display. :lol:

flyer85
06-11-2007, 12:48 PM
sounds like someone ought to be willing to trade for him ... make it happen Wayne.

BRM
06-11-2007, 12:54 PM
sounds like someone ought to be willing to trade for him ... make it happen Wayne.

You gotta have a veteran lefty in the pen. You must have misplaced the memo.

M2
06-11-2007, 01:34 PM
That 1.39 WHIP even when he's on concerns me. A big hit here or there and he's back to hemorrhaging runs. Stanton's an Old Maid card at this point in his career. A rebuilding club, and the Reds are a rebuilding club, does not want to get stuck him him in hand and no way to discard him.

My take is that he needs no be moved by the end of August, and if there's no takers then the Reds have gotten stuck with the Old Maid.

WVRedsFan
06-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Is this the same guy who allowed 3 hits? In an inning? Is that what a relief pitcher is supposed to do? Allow hits? He got lucky yesterday. His Saturday performance was OK, but throwing up 60+ mph pitches will eventually get you bombed.

VR
06-11-2007, 01:51 PM
What are his stats on inherited runners scoring? A guy like Stanton, a situational lefty, can't really be judged solely on the stats you posted.

He was throwing well in April and he's back to looking like that now.

Not sure where to find that stat....but I'd guess it to be quite ugly.

redsmetz
06-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Viz, Inherited Runners

Not sure where to find that stat....but I'd guess it to be quite ugly.

I couldn't find it either, but I found a blog entry about the best at leaving Inherited Runners Stranded and through May 6th, the date of that blog, he was among the league leaders, stranding 10 of 12 (83.3%).

I do think in the last couple of weeks, he has been fairly bad with that, as I found another blurb that indicating he was hemoraging inherited runners (I think during the last road trip).

That said, lucky or not, he threw some fairly decent pitches this weekend. I'm hoping we're seeing what WK wanted when he signed him.

Patrick Bateman
06-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Is this the same guy who allowed 3 hits? In an inning? Is that what a relief pitcher is supposed to do? Allow hits? He got lucky yesterday. His Saturday performance was OK, but throwing up 60+ mph pitches will eventually get you bombed.

The Indians didn't even come close to hitting any of the 60 MPH pitchers. IMO, that's his most effective pitch. Without it, I'm not sure how he would ever get a hitter out.

jojo
06-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Stanton has the ability to miss bats, his K rate has always been good.His K rate of 6.85 (and increasing) per 9 innings is right in line with his career rate of 7.28.

His DIPS ERA is 3.62 so he's not doing it with mirrors.

A K rate around 7 for a reliever isn't that impressive.

redsmetz
06-11-2007, 02:15 PM
The Indians didn't even come close to hitting any of the 60 MPH pitchers. IMO, that's his most effective pitch. Without it, I'm not sure how he would ever get a hitter out.

On Friday, I think the fastest I saw was 88 MPH - he's not Nolan Ryan, that's for sure.

Always Red
06-11-2007, 04:08 PM

He's looking more and more like Chris Hammond in that regard.

Well, not physically....

PuffyPig
06-11-2007, 05:49 PM
A K rate around 7 for a reliever isn't that impressive.

It's above average.

jojo
06-11-2007, 05:59 PM
It's above average.

In 2006 the major league average K/9 for relievers (defined as guys who didn't start a single game) was 7.42 so he was below average.

MrCinatit
06-11-2007, 06:26 PM

Oh, shoot, I forgot about that.
That does throw a wrench in the works.

pedro
06-11-2007, 06:29 PM

Not really. He's not making that much money. No team that thinks they're in it this year and wants Mike Stanton isn't going to let 2.5 million dollars of next years budget get in the way.

GAC
06-11-2007, 07:01 PM
With the market the way it is, and teams scrambling for pitching and bullpen help, I'd try my best to trade him before the trading deadline with Guardado coming back (making $500,000).

westofyou
06-11-2007, 07:02 PM
16.3% of the runs the Reds have allowed have come in the eighth inning.

Eric_Davis
06-11-2007, 09:11 PM
1.32 ERA
1.39 WHIP
7.90 K/9
1.32 BB/9
6.00 K/BB

With all the calls to dump him and eat his contract, I thought this was interesting.

He started off the season with a scoreless streak, then he imploded....now's he's good again.

That's relievers for you.

I notice that Saarloos has been terrible at AAA.