PDA

View Full Version : C. Trent sez™....Freel may be done for season.

Joseph
06-11-2007, 05:13 PM
C. Trent Rosecrans says he would not be surprised if we did NOT see Freel return this season. He's had as many as 10 concussions and is still experiencing severe headaches.

Keep in mind he was asked this by a radio guy if he would be surprised, it was not information that was offered voluntarily.

Additionally Milton may not see the light of day again, and they are surely not in a rush to bring him back.

icehole3
06-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Like to see Freely take a step back and take it easy for a year, this season's a wash anyway.

registerthis
06-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Milton doesn't surprise me at all. Who was it that declared weeks ago that Milton had probably coughed up his last long ball for the Reds? Can't remember...getting old...

Freel, well, I would have to think that if he's not playing, it's entirely out of medical reasons. 10 concussions is a LOT--and if that number is accurate, you have to wonder whether he'll ever play again, period. At some point, you have to consider life after baseball. If he gets too many more concussions, he won't have much of one.

Sea Ray
06-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Where does Milton stand physically? Is he still hurt or is he just being stashed?

smith288
06-11-2007, 05:25 PM
He guesses at 10 concussions by his dad's account and his own not all verified by any physician.

I wouldnt be suprised if the real number is lower however still serious.

This recent one was a doozy though. He said he has never felt like this before so I would guarantee he was counting blows to the head that resulted in a simple headache as a concussion when its wasnt the case.

I know its Freel and he is a nutcase on the field but I cant imagine he has experienced 10 REAL concussion throughout his career. Lots of konked heads but nothing like what he has right now.

Red Leader
06-11-2007, 05:34 PM
I think Sava's had 10+ concussions....

IIRC from a post about 3 years ago.

Reds Fanatic
06-11-2007, 05:47 PM
If he has that many concussions he may have after effects from this his whole life. I saw a story on Real Sports about football players that have suffered multilple concussions and these players they interviewed suffer severe headaches and a sensitivity to light and other effects years after they stopped playing. Once the brain has suffered a certain amount of concussions some permanent damage is done that can't be undone. I hope Ryan will be ok but the fact he has that many concussions and is still experiencing severe headaches could be a sign this will be a problem that is going to continue for him.

Reds Fanatic
06-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Where does Milton stand physically? Is he still hurt or is he just being stashed?

This is from John Fay's blog. Apparently an announcement on Milton will be coming out this week.

There will be an announcement coming on Eric Milton this week. "I'll let (PR man) Rob Butcher handle that," Krivsky said. About only thing Butcher announces on injured players is surgery. It's typical for pitchers to try to rehab elbow injuries, then when it doesn't respond have Tommy John surgery. If that's the case, Milton's career with the Reds is probably over.

flyer85
06-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Koskie had a concussion last June(2006) and still has not returned to the field ... just sayin'.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Do the Reds get some of the wasted money back in insurance if Milton is indeed done?

MrCinatit
06-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Terrible news about Freel - but, frankly, not unexpected. He has been a time bomb for many years - I remember one person saying he was a major injury waiting to happen, it was only a matter if he would injure himself or someone else.

As for Milton, yeah, his career with the Reds is over - even if there is nothing wrong, he suffers from Majoreous Suckatitus. I am sure within a couple of years, he will be making an attempt at a comeback - but I can picture him playing with an independent league with Graves in the near future.

KoryMac5
06-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Koskie had a concussion last June(2006) and still has not returned to the field ... just sayin'.

I read where Koskie is on the way back with the help of someone who specializes in hockey concussions.

KronoRed
06-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Do the Reds get some of the wasted money back in insurance if Milton is indeed done?

Was that contract insured? I never heard that it was and with Milton's past I find it hard to believe someone would cover it

GAC
06-11-2007, 07:59 PM
I'd cut Milton a check and send him packing. Call Livingston back up.

Chip R
06-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Jim Edmonds was suffering from post concussion syndrome last year and he's back playing this year. Of course with him you don't know how much that was exaggerated.

WVRedsFan
06-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Terrible news about Freel - but, frankly, not unexpected. He has been a time bomb for many years - I remember one person saying he was a major injury waiting to happen, it was only a matter if he would injure himself or someone else.

Yes, I agree. Fans love to see players who play without regard for their bodies, but those kind of players don't last long. They either end their careers with injuries or someone elses. It's sad and I hope Freel thinks before doing some of these things. Of course, I'm not sure Farney would let him think.

As for Milton, I hope O'Brien had him insured, but if not I'd vote for eating his salary and bidding him adieu. Today.

MrCinatit
06-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Freel reminds me a lot of the stories I used to read of Pete Reiser from Brooklyn. Had a lot of talent - but he also liked crashing into walls a little too much.

Marc D
06-11-2007, 09:50 PM
I forget who posted it in the game thread(maybe matt?) that day but someone typed exactly what I said when I saw the play.

"Well Freel has finally done it, he's killed himself on the baseball field."

I think we all knew it was just a matter of time with him untill he did one too many Taka Tanaka imitations.

Sucks to hear about for the little guy but it seems once you cross that barrier on concussions there is no going back.

Mario-Rijo
06-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Jim Edmonds was suffering from post concussion syndrome last year and he's back playing this year. Of course with him you don't know how much that was exaggerated.

As was Mike Matheny who retired after being on the DL all of last season.

Yachtzee
06-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Freel reminds me a lot of the stories I used to read of Pete Reiser from Brooklyn. Had a lot of talent - but he also liked crashing into walls a little too much.

I read "Bums: An Oral History of the Brooklyn Dodgers" by Peter Golenbock about 8 years ago. There were stories in there about Pete's penchant for running into the concrete walls of Ebbets Field (before padding became widely used).

4256 Hits
06-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Maybe when he comes back he should where a batting helment in the field like John Olorud (sp) did at 1st.

Heath
06-12-2007, 12:58 AM
Maybe when he comes back he should where a batting helment in the field like John Olorud (sp) did at 1st.

I think he needs to take crash lessons from this guy -

http://www.nndb.com/people/240/000024168/sdo-SuperDave.jpg

Seriously, though, I hate to see Ryan end his career this way. I figured he'd play until they kicked him out. He sure had his moments.

sonny
06-12-2007, 01:17 AM
I think he needs to take crash lessons from this guy -

http://www.nndb.com/people/240/000024168/sdo-SuperDave.jpg

Seriously, though, I hate to see Ryan end his career this way. I figured he'd play until they kicked him out. He sure had his moments.

You talk like he's already retired. The dude is crazy, He'll be back before we know it.

Heath
06-12-2007, 02:01 AM
You talk like he's already retired. The dude is crazy, He'll be back before we know it.

I hope you are right. But, "one more concussion" might be the last concussion he has.

Ravenlord
06-12-2007, 04:28 AM
I think Sava's had 10+ concussions....

IIRC from a post about 3 years ago.

i believe to date, the number is 14.