PDA

View Full Version : Potential Free Agent Starting Pitchers - 2007

RedEye
06-12-2007, 12:51 AM
With Eric Milton headed for Tommy John surgery and the Dunn and Griffey trade talks heating up, I find myself wondering about potential saved cash. That leads me to wonder which FA starting pitchers the Reds might look at this off-season. Here is a provisional list of some players that might be on Wayne's radar come October:

Mark Buehrle
Paul Byrd
Shawn Chacon
Matt Clement
Bartolo Colon
Josh Fogg
Freddy Garcia
Livan Hernandez
Kyle Lohse
Odalis Perez
Andy Pettitte
Carlos Silva
Steve Trachsel
Kip Wells
Randy Wolf
Carlos Zambrano

Zambrano is pretty clearly the class of this group, and I'm sure the Yanks and Red Sox will be in a bidding war for his services. I guess I'd put Buerhle, Garcia, Colon and Pettitte on the second tier, although I'm not too firm on that. After that, it's pretty much a scrum, and I think Lohse comes out looking better than average.

I have a feeling Carlos Silva might end up a Red next year, just based on Wayne's Twins track record thus far. I'm not too upset about that either, since I think he'd make a decent #3 or #4. Steve Trachsel is also a name that sparks my interest, but I'm not at all sure why.

Of course, maybe Wayne will spend all of our money revamping the bullpen. Again.

Which of these starters (if any) would you like to see the Reds pursue? What do you think it would take to land them?

jesusfan
06-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Silva or Wolf would look very good behind Harang, Arroyo, and Bailey...

RedEye
06-12-2007, 01:38 AM
Silva or Wolf would look very good behind Harang, Arroyo, and Bailey...

I agree about Wolf. We need a LHP to complement the three RH.

sonny
06-12-2007, 02:17 AM
I've always like paul Byrd. He rarely walks anybody and he's a Inning eater.

He's a Cincinnati boy too isn't he?

RedEye
06-12-2007, 02:33 AM
Indeed, it appears that the esteemed Mr. Byrd was born in Louisville and attended St. Xavier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Byrd

Perhaps returning to Cincinnati would be a draw for him if the money is right?

RedEye
06-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Bump. Anyone else got anything to say, or am I just too early on this?

Red Leader
06-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Bump. Anyone else got anything to say, or am I just too early on this?

For me, as it looks now, it's just too early for me to say one way or another. As things stand now, the 2008 rotation is going to include: Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, and Belisle. Only one spot open. As it's looking now, Dunn and Griffey might be traded. If both of those hold true, then I don't want the Reds to spend any money on the above players, I want them acquiring a F.A. OFer and we can go with a young callup for the 5th spot. If Griffey and Dunn are traded I want them spending money on replacement hitters. For the first time in a long time our starting pitching looks fine to me. It's the offense that's going to need upgraded, IMO.

Time will tell if that all holds true, but that's the way it looks to me now.

Benihana
06-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Zambrano will be with the Mets next year.

Does anyone else think that there's not much else out there that's better than Lohse (with a reasonable price tag)? I like the idea of putting a lefty in there (Wolf), but other than that- there is not that much to like IMO.

Maybe next year we're looking at a rotation of

Harang
Arroyo
Bailey
Fisher/Gardner
Belisle

Benihana
06-12-2007, 03:06 PM
For me, as it looks now, it's just too early for me to say one way or another. As things stand now, the 2008 rotation is going to include: Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, and Belisle. Only one spot open. As it's looking now, Dunn and Griffey might be traded. If both of those hold true, then I don't want the Reds to spend any money on the above players, I want them acquiring a F.A. OFer and we can go with a young callup for the 5th spot. If Griffey and Dunn are traded I want them spending money on replacement hitters. For the first time in a long time our starting pitching looks fine to me. It's the offense that's going to need upgraded, IMO.

Time will tell if that all holds true, but that's the way it looks to me now.

I agree completely.

The only exception might be if they can get a young pitcher in return for Jr or Dunn that would be better than the young call up (Fisher/Gardner)

redsmetz
06-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Indeed, it appears that the esteemed Mr. Byrd was born in Louisville and attended St. Xavier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Byrd

Perhaps returning to Cincinnati would be a draw for him if the money is right?

That would be Lousville St. Xavier, not Cincy's. That said, he may have grown up a Cincinnati fan.

RedEye
06-12-2007, 03:08 PM
That would be Lousville St. Xavier, not Cincy's. That said, he may have grown up a Cincinnati fan.

Ah... whoops. Sorry about that.

Matt700wlw
06-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Milton and Dunn save $22 Million on it's own...with that, keeping Griffey around would be chump change.

He (probably) won't get a ring here, which I would love him to do, but freeing up $22 Million doesn't make him look all that expensive...if they would decide to go that route.

BRM
06-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Milton and Dunn save $22 Million on it's own...with that, keeping Griffey around would be chump change.

He (probably) won't get a ring here, which I would love him to do, but freeing up $22 Million doesn't make him look all that expensive...if they would decide to go that route.

$22M would buy a lot of veteran bullpenners.

Red Leader
06-12-2007, 03:30 PM

When is Joe Nathan a free agent?

Are any good closers free agents at the end of the year?

Johnny Footstool
06-12-2007, 03:34 PM

Francisco Cordero. He'll want $10 million per year. Not worth it, IMO.

Octavio Dotel will probably be available, but he's a long-shot gamble at best.

Razor Shines
06-12-2007, 03:36 PM

Anyone think that Wayne could get Cormier to come out of retirement for a 3 year 9 mil deal?

BRM

Nathan has an option for 2008. Not sure if it's team, player, or mutual.

Todd Jones is a free agent after the year. So is Mariano Rivera.

KronoRed

And Castro's.

BRM
06-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Anyone think that Wayne could get Cormier to come out of retirement for a 3 year 9 mil deal?

What would it take to get John Franco?

flyer85
06-12-2007, 03:38 PM
The free agent pitching market is basically way overvalued, year after year. I have yet to see a small market club build success on throwing a lot of cash at free agent pitchers.

RedEye
06-12-2007, 03:38 PM
I tend to think that FA closers are a bad investment since they are usually easier to find than quality starters. You can often convert one-dimensional minor league starters into relievers who just pound the zone with 95 mph heat for an inning or so thrice a week.

Razor Shines
06-12-2007, 03:40 PM
What would it take to get John Franco?

What about getting the Nasty Boys back? I bet Dibbs could still get it up into the mid 80s.

The_jbh
06-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Buherle will be a card... hometown deal

mth123
06-12-2007, 10:30 PM
I want the Reds to get a starter worthy of making Arroyo, Bailey, Belisle the 3,4,5 guys. Probably Only Zambrano with possibilities of Buerhle, Wolf and Colon.

If he could be had for $5 Million for a year or so, I'd be OK with Byrd but it means Arroyo needs to bounce back and Bailey would need to step forward. I don't want the Reds to lock long term into somebody who isn't TOR with guys like Fisher, Watson, Lecure and Cueto on the way. One of those guys could probably fill a back of the rotation role for cheap by 2009 so why lock into anyone unless he's a top guy?