PDA

View Full Version : Milton to have TJ surgery, Bray setback

WVRedsFan
06-12-2007, 01:39 AM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

This is melancholy at best. Eric Milton was much criticized here for what was the most hated signing of any free agent in the history of the franchise. Many predicted here that Milton, a fly ball pitcher with a tendency to give up homeruns was going to be a disaster in GABP, and he was. Yet, he took the ball when given to him and did what he could without apology and regardless of the result, I'll respect him for that. He will never pitch another inning for the Reds, which probably is the good news. I wish him well and hope to God he doesn't end up with the Cardinals or some other team we have to play multi times in the future. After he gets fixed (and I think this and the knee problem stunted his performance as a Red), he may handcuff is for years.

The Bray problem is more troubling. Once again, we vist THE TRADE and see that two somewhat talented players and a once promising pitfher was traded for two sore armed pitchers and a washed up shortstop. It was a disaster any way you look at it. So, in effect, we may never see Bray pitch as a Red again in the way that Krivsky imagined he would. That gives Washington two starters (regardless of how you look at it) and us absolutely nothing (unless Gary Majewski has a complete turnaround, which is unlikely). Does anyone else but me see the folly in trading two starters for a hope and a prayer?

Seriously, I certainly hope Bray recovers for next year and we see better performance from Majewski in the future, but I'm not optimistic.

RedEye
06-12-2007, 01:50 AM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/
The Bray problem is more troubling. Once again, e vist THE TRADE and see that two somewhat talented players and a once promising pitfher was traded for two sore armed pitchers and a washed up shortstop. It was a disaster any way you look at it. So, in effect, we may never see Bray pitch as a Red again in the way that Krivsky imagined he would. That gives Washington two starters (regardless of how you look at it) and us absolutely nothing (unless Gary Majewski has a complete turnaround, which is unlikely). Does anyone else but me see the folly in trading two starters for a hope and a prayer?

Hmmm... not sure I recollect exactly what transaction you're talking about. Let me think about it for awhile...

WVRedsFan
06-12-2007, 01:53 AM
Hmmm... not sure I recollect exactly what transaction you're talking about. Let me think about it for awhile...

Me neither. It's late and I'm going to bed...

Surely there will be good news tomorrow, right? :)

RedEye
06-12-2007, 01:54 AM
Seriously though, I'm right with you on The Trade. There's been a knot in my stomach since last July, and it just stays there no matter how hard I try.

I too find Milton's demise a bit sad. I think I expected the deal to be bad, but not this bad. I thought his main problem would be bad performance, not bad performance compounded by health problems. I suppose in every deal there is a worst case scenario, and the Reds just happen to have gotten one this time. Perhaps karma will work in their favor with the next big FA pitcher they sign...

Chip R
06-12-2007, 08:59 AM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59214