PDA

View Full Version : Burton to DL, Coffey up (again)

Danny Serafini
06-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Per team press notes. Burton gets DLed with lower back spasms. Also the Lizard comes off the DL and is optioned to Louisville, he'll be starting for the Bats today. Didn't realize his rehab was that far along.

lollipopcurve
06-12-2007, 11:51 AM
There's no way Burton has back spasms. He has control spasms and the pain is Narron's. I'd rather see Salmon back up than Coffey.

cumberlandreds
How many more times can Coffey be optioned? He's got to be getting close to the limit.

TOBTTReds
Also the Lizard comes off the DL and is optioned to Louisville, he'll be starting for the Bats today. Didn't realize his rehab was that far along.

That to me is very exciting. I am a big fan of his and would like to see him get another opportunity late this summer.

Danny Serafini
06-12-2007, 12:06 PM
How many more times can Coffey be optioned? He's got to be getting close to the limit.

An option lasts the entire year, so he can be sent down as many times as they want this season.

Sea Ray
06-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Sounds like a "fishy" injury to me. This isn't the first time they've played this tune with Burton. I wonder if the A's want to have this looked into.

cumberlandreds
06-12-2007, 12:19 PM
An option lasts the entire year, so he can be sent down as many times as they want this season.

Thanks. I can never remember how these work. There is a great link someone posted in the minor league forum on these type of transactions and many other one's as well. I saw it after I posted my question.

Az Red
06-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Sounds like a "fishy" injury to me. This isn't the first time they've played this tune with Burton. I wonder if the A's want to have this looked into.

Is he on 15 day and is it retroactive? That's not toooooooo suspicious. I forsee endless rehab assignments the rest of the season for Burton.

flyer85
06-12-2007, 12:35 PM
I figured maybe they misplaced him

WVRedsFan
06-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Do the Reds have an abnormal amount of injuries to pitchers? Let's see...Milton, Majewski, Bray, Burton, Guardado, Claussen, and who else? This must be the hosptial ward of the National League. Wowzers.

KronoRed
06-12-2007, 01:29 PM
I'd rather see Salmon back up than Coffey.
Same, and I'd rather see Burton stay with his mystery illness and someone else get sent out

M2
06-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Is he on 15 day and is it retroactive? That's not toooooooo suspicious. I forsee endless rehab assignments the rest of the season for Burton.

That's how it works with Rule V guys. Oops, you've got a hangnail. Let's put you on the DL. Oops, you've got a nasty cough. Let's put you on the DL. Oops, you didn't eat a proper breakfast. Let's put you on the DL.

And he'll certainly require a rehab assignment before he returns.

redsmetz
06-12-2007, 01:50 PM
I said this right as the season started that we'd see a lot of juggling of the roester via the DL - I assume there's some modicum of a reality there, however tenuous. In Burton's case, the Reds are working to get him through the season so he can be in the minors next year.

That's not to say the A's might not ask for a review if they think something's up, but I'm guessing the Reds will be given a bit of latitude in that area given the chance a player can have something worse pop up.

Regarding the options question - that was changed about 5-10 years ago in one of the bargaining units. It used to be something like the number of times up and down in the year effected it, but it hasn't been that way in a while. Understandably, clubs use it to their advantage when they can.

Roy Tucker
06-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Regarding the options question - that was changed about 5-10 years ago in one of the bargaining units. It used to be something like the number of times up and down in the year effected it, but it hasn't been that way in a while. Understandably, clubs use it to their advantage when they can.

Just ask Eric Owens from a few years ago. He got very familiar with I-74 shuttling back and forth between Cincinnati and Indianapolis.

Chip R
06-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Wayne better watch it or they are going to put a limit on how many times a Rule 5 guy can be put on the DL this season. This injury looks faker than Rodney Dangerfield's in Caddyshack.

Falls City Beer
06-12-2007, 03:36 PM
I'll be honest: preserving Burton doesn't appear worth all this juggling of humanity.

BRM
06-12-2007, 04:22 PM
I'll be honest: preserving Burton doesn't appear worth all this juggling of humanity.

Rotoworld seems to agree with you.

This is twice now that the Reds have made up an injury to put the Rule 5 pick on the disabled list rather than return him to the A's. It's a lot of hassle for little gain, considering that Burton projects as nothing more than a middle reliever.

Matt700wlw
06-12-2007, 04:26 PM
I think they like Burton, but realize he's not ready for the big leagues yet, but they have to keep him on the big league roster this season....next year, they can start him in AAA if they want to, AA, wherever, wherever they feel he's better off... to let him develop.

They can't right now, so he's always "hurt" to get him by this season.

Razor Shines
06-12-2007, 04:30 PM

Maybe not, but he does seem to have at least some ability to K guys (9 in 8.2 in), something the Reds have very little of in their bullpen. Of course he also seems to have a lot of ability to walk guys. He just turned 26, I'd say if he can learn some control he's worth holding onto for next season.

KronoRed
06-12-2007, 04:37 PM

Guess it would be "embarrassing" to let the A's have him back

flyer85
06-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Guess it would be "embarrassing" to let the A's have him back...especially if he has some success, combine that with all the derelicts the Reds have on their roster.

Guys like Bell and Linebrink had a track record similar to Burton and got traded/released by their original team before finding some success. It's why you don't give up on "stuff".

lollipopcurve
06-12-2007, 04:43 PM
The more I've seen him, the more I think he could be worth the trouble. That cutter/slider is 90+ and his fastball has a lot of movement. They can have him in AAA next year and see if he develops some command. If it clicks, he'll be tough.

deltachi8
06-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Wayne better watch it or they are going to put a limit on how many times a Rule 5 guy can be put on the DL this season. This injury looks faker than Rodney Dangerfield's in Caddyshack.

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_brothers/caddyshack/_group_photos/chevy_chase2.jpg

If Burton is Rodney in that photo, does that make Coffey Danny Noonan?

RedsManRick
06-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Guys are more likely to develop better command than to develop better stuff. We aren't exactly rolling in guys with stuff.

Big Klu
06-12-2007, 05:02 PM
http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_brothers/caddyshack/_group_photos/chevy_chase2.jpg

Well, Sonja Henie's out.

Chip R
06-12-2007, 05:07 PM

I think Coffey's Ty Webb. Looked like he could do some remarkable things but fell apart later on.

How about a Fresca?!

Falls City Beer
06-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Maybe not, but he does seem to have at least some ability to K guys (9 in 8.2 in), something the Reds have very little of in their bullpen. Of course he also seems to have a lot of ability to walk guys. He just turned 26, I'd say if he can learn some control he's worth holding onto for next season.

If that's the case, keep him on the MLB team and let him learn. I should be more specific--who they are preserving is Majewski.

Chip R
06-12-2007, 05:22 PM
If that's the case, keep him on the MLB team and let him learn. I should be more specific--who they are preserving is Majewski.

They like Majewski because he throws strikes and they have to justify the trade. Of course a lot of guys throw strikes and they stink. Burton misses bats but he misses the plate a lot too. Clearly they prefer the former.

Eric_Davis
06-12-2007, 06:00 PM

It's nice to see the REDS use every available option possible, including the DL in order to keep a Rule V Major League draftee from going back to his original team that might benefit the club.

Side note:

The REDS are 0-11 in games Burton has appeared in this year even though he didn't give up a run his first seven games. But since then, he's given up 8 Runs and 5 Earned Runs in 3-1/3 IP with 2 BB's and 5 K's.

Reds1
06-12-2007, 06:22 PM
There's no way Burton has back spasms. He has control spasms and the pain is Narron's. I'd rather see Salmon back up than Coffey.

No way. I saw both last Friday at AAA game and Coffey was lights out two innings where Salmon continued to struggle. At least Coffey throws strikes. Yes, they get hit, but I can't stand walks. I am glad to see Coffey over Burton. I have no confidence in him and he will need that 30 day trip to AAA for rehab or whatever the time table is.

flyer85
06-12-2007, 06:38 PM
The REDS are 0-11 in games Burton has appeared in this year even though he didn't give up a run his first seven games. But since then, he's given up 8 Runs and 5 Earned Runs in 3-1/3 IP with 2 BB's and 5 K's.and a bunch of those runs were courtesy of Stanton.

06-13-2007, 01:54 AM
I think it is kind of funny that the Coffey call up and the thread about his latest send-down are both currently both on this RZ page.

sonny
06-13-2007, 02:42 AM
I bet Coffey's getting a little tired sprinting from LOU to Cincinnati.

KronoRed
06-13-2007, 03:00 AM
I bet Coffey's getting a little tired sprinting from LOU to Cincinnati.

It's a pleasent drive, you pass the fresheda distribution center :D