PDA

View Full Version : Who Will win the College World Series?

jmcclain19
06-12-2007, 01:20 PM
The College World Series Field has been set - here is the field and matchups

Friday - 1 p.m. CT
Rice vs Louisville.
Friday - 6 p.m. CT
North Carolina vs Mississippi State
Saturday - 1 p.m. CT
Arizona State vs UC Irvine
Saturday - 6 p.m. CT
Cal State Fullerton vs. Oregon State

Who is your pick to win it all?

dabvu2498
06-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Rice over Arizona St. in the finals.

OesterPoster
06-12-2007, 01:25 PM
I like Rice over one of the Cali teams.

jmcclain19
06-12-2007, 01:25 PM
If I was a betting man I'd bet on a repeat of last years OSU & UNC final.

Although Louisville really interests me - they've throttled everyone they've played so far in the NCAA Tournament.

I have friends that went to Rice to - so I have to pull for them.

OesterPoster
06-12-2007, 01:29 PM
I remember the Baseball America guys talking about how dominant Rice could be if they didn't have injury problems. Have they been missing at least one key component during this postseason run?

dabvu2498
06-12-2007, 01:35 PM
I remember the Baseball America guys talking about how dominant Rice could be if they didn't have injury problems. Have they been missing at least one key component during this postseason run?

Not really. What they may have been referring to was Wayne Graham's reputation for grinding his pitchers into the ground.

11larkin11
06-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Not really. What they may have been referring to was Jerry Narron's reputation for grinding his pitchers into the ground.

Fixed

joshnky
06-12-2007, 02:22 PM
I would love to see Louisville continue their recent play and pull this thing out, although it seems to be a long shot. Winning the CWS would do huge things for a program that prior to this year had never won a regional game.

jmcclain19
06-12-2007, 02:36 PM
I would love to see Louisville continue their recent play and pull this thing out, although it seems to be a long shot. Winning the CWS would do huge things for a program that prior to this year had never won a regional game.

Ok State was supposed to be the offensive powerhouse in this year's Super Regionals and Louisville just embarrassed them in two games. I wouldn't put anything past them.

And OesterPoster - Joe Savery & Cole St. Clair are their two top pitchers and they've been hurt all year but are healthy now. Savery's also one of their best hitters playing 1B and DH'ing for himself on the days he pitches. That's what they're referring to.

dabvu2498
06-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Ok State was supposed to be the offensive powerhouse in this year's Super Regionals and Louisville just embarrassed them in two games. I wouldn't put anything past them.

And OesterPoster - Joe Savery & Cole St. Clair are their two top pitchers and they've been hurt all year but are healthy now. Savery's also one of their best hitters playing 1B and DH'ing for himself on the days he pitches. That's what they're referring to.

I forgot about St. Clair.

Savery's been hurt? He's made 17 starts on the hill and played in all 66 games on Rice's schedule.

Redman15
06-12-2007, 03:57 PM
CSUF over North Carolina.

Red Leader
06-12-2007, 03:59 PM
I have Cal St.-Fullerton over N.C as well.

jmcclain19
06-13-2007, 11:28 PM
I forgot about St. Clair.

Savery's been hurt? He's made 17 starts on the hill and played in all 66 games on Rice's schedule.

I think he's had niggling injuries all season. Or maybe I'm crazy.

Either way - CWS starts in 48 hours

dabvu2498
06-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Louisville up on Rice 6-4 in the 4th inning of Game 1. Impressive.

OesterPoster
06-15-2007, 03:57 PM
10-4 in the 5th now.

Everyone in the Louisville lineup has at least 1 hit already.

dabvu2498
06-15-2007, 03:58 PM
10-4 now. That team can mash.

OesterPoster
06-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Well, looks like Rice can hit just a weeee bit too. Everyone in their lineup has a hit, except for Savery. He's been a giant black hole of offense so far.

10-7 heading to the 6th now.

OesterPoster
06-15-2007, 04:29 PM
D'oh! Savery homered in the 6th. 10-8 now.

DoogMinAmo
06-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Louisville impresses the hell out of me, no matter what happens today.

jmcclain19
06-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Louisville impresses the hell out of me, no matter what happens today.

Amen to that. They were a nobody just a couple of years ago. Bravo for getting them up to speed.

The Big East needs a baseball powerhouse.

OesterPoster
06-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Amen to that. They were a nobody just a couple of years ago. Bravo for getting them up to speed.

The Big East needs a baseball powerhouse.

Three of their starters hail from Miami, Florida. If you're going to build up your program, that's not a bad place to start recruiting.

jmcclain19
06-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Three of their starters hail from Miami, Florida. If you're going to build up your program, that's not a bad place to start recruiting.

Straight out of the Bobby Petrino Louisville Football playbook.

jmcclain19
06-16-2007, 03:49 PM
ASU jumps out to the early 3-0 lead, and UC Irvine claws back to make it 4-4.

Last night UNC kept it rolling over Miss State. They'll play Rice on Sunday, while Louisville & the Bulldogs will play an elimination game.

Good baseball all around so far.

joshnky
06-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Louisville up 5-0 in the fourth. I must admit, I didn't follow the team much before they won the regional but what they've done offensively in this postseason is pretty impressive. Hopefully, they can complete the job and we won't have a repeat of the Rice game. The odds are stacked against them but I'm convinced they can beat anybody in this tournament. Next year, I won't repeat my mistake and I'll try to make it out to a few games. They have a beautiful 3-yr old stadium, free admission, and a top team that plays an exciting brand of baseball. It might be a nice reprieve to follow a baseball team that might actually win something.

Eric_Davis
06-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Louisville up 5-0 in the fourth. I must admit, I didn't follow the team much before they won the regional but what they've done offensively in this postseason is pretty impressive. Hopefully, they can complete the job and we won't have a repeat of the Rice game. The odds are stacked against them but I'm convinced they can beat anybody in this tournament. Next year, I won't repeat my mistake and I'll try to make it out to a few games. They have a beautiful 3-yr old stadium, free admission, and a top team that plays an exciting brand of baseball. It might be a nice reprieve to follow a baseball team that might actually win something.

Free admission? They may be charging next year.

The Oregon State Beavers had 20,000 requests for tickets to their stadium that seats only 3200.

joshnky
06-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Free admission? They may be charging next year.

The Oregon State Beavers had 20,000 requests for tickets to their stadium that seats only 3200.

It wouldn't surprise me but this year they had free admission to go along with $1 hot dogs and $1 beer.

Eric_Davis
06-18-2007, 01:14 AM
It wouldn't surprise me but this year they had free admission to go along with $1 hot dogs and $1 beer.

I'll stop at Little League softball games if I see one being played just to get a hot dog or a snowcone and watch kids play the game.

$1 Beer and $1 dog at a University and the place isn't packed with College students?....or the towns' folks?

By the way, I fell in love with Louisville when I got off the plane there one day. There's nothing like the accent of a Southern girl to warm the blood.

jmcclain19
06-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Rice absolutely embarrassed UNC yesterday. They look impressive.

Fullerton is up right now 3-1 in the 6th over Irvine. Hopefully it's not the end for the Anteaters.

ASU/Oregon State later this evening. Go Beavers. Have I mentioned how much I loathe that all four west coast teams got lumped together?

Red Leader
06-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Looking forward to the Louisville - UNC game tomorrow. I've got that one setup to DVR.

I agree on the West Coast teams. I like Fullerton, but man do they have a hard road to travel to get there, and they have to beat a lot of other teams I like to get there.

dabvu2498
06-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Have I mentioned how much I loathe that all four west coast teams got lumped together?

If that bracket had played out the way it was seeded it would have been Vandy, San Diego, Az. St, and Texas.

Eric_Davis
06-18-2007, 09:30 PM
The Oregon State Beavers will repeat as Champs because they have the strongest will to win.

Yes, that's not a stat, but it's a real element of sports.

If the opposing pitcher is giving up just one run, the Beavers pitchers will give up none.

If the opposing team is scoring 7 runs against the Beavers pitchers, the Beavers will find a way to score 8 runs.

They do whatever it takes to win.

The REDS lack these type of players. You've seen them before...Barry Larkin, Eric Davis, Chris Sabo, Tom Browning, Ken Griffey Sr. and Jr..

Edwin Encarnacion and Brandon Phillips looks like this type of player. Harang is, too. Weathers is.

Update: The Beavers have outhit Arizona State 17-2 through 6 innings. That's steppin' up.

Reds Freak
06-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Is it me or has the defense in this series been absolutely atrocious? Admittedly, I have only seen bits and pieces of maybe 3/4 of the games, but everytime I turn it on someone is making costly, costly physical or mental errors. Maybe someone who has watched more than I can comment on it. In the college game where no lead is safe, teams cannot afford to have so many defensive miscues. I have seen a few impressive defensive showings, but overall we see better defense in the Little League World Series in August...

jmcclain19
06-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Is it me or has the defense in this series been absolutely atrocious? Admittedly, I have only seen bits and pieces of maybe 3/4 of the games, but everytime I turn it on someone is making costly, costly physical or mental errors. Maybe someone who has watched more than I can comment on it. In the college game where no lead is safe, teams cannot afford to have so many defensive miscues. I have seen a few impressive defensive showings, but overall we see better defense in the Little League World Series in August...

The Defense in college baseball usually leaves something to be desired. Teams typically put guys at SS who would normally play 3B or 1B in the pros. Lots of college catchers would also never get a sniff of being a catcher in professional baseball. But you've probably just caught a few bad games - I would say the defense usually isn't spectacular but it's not awful either.

jmcclain19
06-20-2007, 11:06 PM
And then there were three.

Oregon State eliminated Irvine tonight - bravo to UC though for making it that far.

The Beavers, who still haven't lost, will face the winner of UNC & Rice Thursday.

Really, really looking like my prediction of a UNC/Oregon State rematch could come true.

Reds Freak
06-21-2007, 01:27 PM
The Defense in college baseball usually leaves something to be desired. Teams typically put guys at SS who would normally play 3B or 1B in the pros. Lots of college catchers would also never get a sniff of being a catcher in professional baseball. But you've probably just caught a few bad games - I would say the defense usually isn't spectacular but it's not awful either.

I probably have just turned it on at the wrong times. I'm not expecting spectacular defense, but if these teams are the 8 best teams in college baseball I expect them to be solid defensively, and I have seen anything but solid. The plays that I have seen that have been botched have been routine plays, guys fielding grounders on their heels, overrunning flyballs, or throwing the ball around the infield. I wonder if college coaches these days are solely focusing on the hitting aspect of the game because these guys hit the snot out of the ball and simply ignore the defensive side? I've spent more time watching high school, D3, and D2 college ball, but the good high school and lower level college teams I watch are better fundamentally in the field than most of the guys in this series overall.

Eric_Davis
06-22-2007, 11:01 PM

Well, I'm used to watching Oregon State who has the 2nd best Fielding Percentage in the nation, and it's one of the reasons why they're in their 3rd straight College World Series. Their defense has been nothing but spectacular the last 8 games except for the last out they tried to get against Fullerton the first game. They haven't been behind in a game in 53 innings.

Eric_Davis
06-24-2007, 02:33 AM
Watching Game 1 between North Carolina and Oregon State, I found it very odd that both Barry Larkin and Orel Hershiser didn't know a basic baseball rule...."that a runner is safe if he crosses home plate before the ball gets back to a base where a runner had left too soon on a flyball/linedrive out where the batter caught leaving too early makes the last out of the inning."

Maybe they didn't read Baseball Digest's, "So, You Think You Know Baseball" very often.

Chi-Town Red
06-24-2007, 04:34 PM
OSU to repeat

Eric_Davis
06-25-2007, 09:09 AM
...and the best team with the best pitching with the best hearts and the best chemistry wins again.

Congratulations Oregon State Beavers.

Red Leader
06-25-2007, 09:25 AM
...and the best team with the best pitching with the best hearts and the best chemistry wins again.

Congratulations Oregon State Beavers.

They were outstanding this whole tournament and congratulations to them. They didn't have an easy path to repeat, either.

UNC had some breakdowns defensively in the series, but some of the catches, particularly by their OFers last night, were amazing.

How many times did the announcers compare Darwin Barney to Derek Jeter? I lost count. "He's a true leader, and all he does is hit and make plays..."

Derek Jeter II on the Cubs? Psshaw. I hope he goes back to Oregon St. for his senior year.

dabvu2498
06-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Finish 6th in the Pac 10 (with a 10-14 conference record), win the National Championship.

Bizarre.

George Anderson
06-25-2007, 01:58 PM
I love watching College Baseball but I am far from a expert on it. Does anyone have any insight as to why Oregon State has suddenly become a powerhouse?? I understand that the USC's, Florida State, Texas, Miami etc all have had success in large part to their geographical location, so how does a team as far north as Oregon State all of a sudden become a powerhouse in the world of College Baseball?? Are the good high school players in the sunshine states suddenly looking to Oregon to play at the collegiate level??

dabvu2498
06-25-2007, 02:08 PM
I love watching College Baseball but I am far from a expert on it. Does anyone have any insight as to why Oregon State has suddenly become a powerhouse?? I understand that the USC's, Florida State, Texas, Miami etc all have had success in large part to their geographical location, so how does a team as far north as Oregon State all of a sudden become a powerhouse in the world of College Baseball?? Are the good high school players in the sunshine states suddenly looking to Oregon to play at the collegiate level??

The fact that the University of Oregon doesn't have a baseball program at all certainly helps.

jmcclain19
06-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Pat Casey has just done an excellent rebuilding job. Oregon State Recruits heavily in California, and he's just lucked out the last couple of years with picking guys with big time talent like Kevin Gunderson & Mitch Canham. Casey has also really locked down the state of Oregon. I know Oregon has a good baseball talent base that before would be going elsewhere - and now they have a reason to stay home.

It just so happens to coincide with a period when the ACC is down and the Big 12 just isn't as powerful as they normally are. Being 6th in the Pac-10 isn't anything to shake a stick at - USC, UCLA, ASU, Arizona & Stanford are all baseball powerhouses with Washington certainly no lightweight.

But it definitely is a tad odd to have a College Baseball powerhouse in a cold weather climate. I love it personally, and think it's excellent for the sport.

Nebraska has had a big rebirth over the last couple of years - Creighton's been real close the last couple of seasons. Michigan is now on the cusp of being a big time team - the more competitive teams the better as far as I'm concerned.

George Anderson
06-26-2007, 04:52 PM
But it definitely is a tad odd to have a College Baseball powerhouse in a cold weather climate. I love it personally, and think it's excellent for the sport.

From what I understand the NCAA will not allow any team to start before March 1 next year. If I had to guess its going to make things more equal and not force the northern schools to cram so many games in such a short period of time, as opposed to the southern schools who have more days to work with because of the warm weather . No doubt it will be better for college baseball to balance out the field and not have the schools in the warm states win the title year in and year out.

Triples
06-26-2007, 05:02 PM
I agree that it will level the playing field to some degree and it should make the northern schools more competitive. The March 1 date won't relieve the scheduling pressure Northern Schools have, it will just make the southern schools cram more games into a shorter amount of time. That will cause the southern schools to carry more pitchers and fewer position players. That is where I believe the field gets leveled the most. The northern schools (especially the snow belt states, not sure if Oregon fits into that catagory) will still have to travel south early in March so while there is some relief they will be still challenged scholastically. Finally, the biggest advantage the southern schools will still have is they can practice outside on grass just about all year around while the northern schools have to practice indoors; in batting cages and if their lucky enough to have a prominent football program they might get to use the indoor football facility for some fielding practice. not hardly the same.

From what I understand the NCAA will not allow any team to start before March 1 next year. If I had to guess its going to make things more equal and not force the northern schools to cram so many games in such a short period of time, as opposed to the southern schools who have more days to work with because of the warm weather . No doubt it will be better for college baseball to balance out the field and not have the schools in the warm states win the title year in and year out.

Eric_Davis
06-26-2007, 08:02 PM

I'll take that question.

As a parent who's kids are 18 and 21, and who was invloved in Little League organizations in both Washington and Oregon before they were born, I watched the growth of these players throughout their lives.

For over 20 years now, NW baseball for child development has been nothing short of outstanding. The involvement and support that parents NW-wide have given to the kids provided an atmosphere that fostered a positive experience for all the kids. People like Curt Daniels (now passed away and a former scout for the Cardinals) coashed teams to National Championships at the Legion level. What really distinguished the NW from other areas was the community support for the kids. Many people adjusted their work schedules so they could attend practices and help the coaches do the little stuff.

When you looked at the big picture, you could see throughout the 90's that the NW was producing a high-quality baseball product. Three years ago, when OSU when to their first of 3 straight WS appearances, and were predicted to finish in the bottom half of the Pac-10 that year, I told as many people as I could before the season that there was some outstaning pitching on the team and to look for them to make the playoffs this year. I didn't know they'd win the Pac-10 and reach the World Series, but I knew the great defense and great pitching was there and would be there for many years. Pat Casey didn't teach these kids how to play defense and pitch. They learned it from the coaches and parents from around the NW when theses kids were growing up.

When I grew up playing baseball in the NW, there was never a parent at a practice and everything was left for the coaches. There's so much more room for growth when there are more parents involved in the practices, as long as you remember that you're there to support the coaches and they remember that they are there to support the kids.

It was fun watching the growth of these kids during the 90's as they got better and better. I've seen the opposite where parents are arguing with the coaches or arguing with the umpire, who's there as a volunteer. You'd always get one or two overzealous coaches that as parents, you need to step forward and remind them that it's about the kids. Normally, a coach like that doesn't like to listen to any criticism, and you'd have to go to the league board to get them to talk to the coach, but to do nothing and let it pass would hurt the kids.

And this atmosphere has gone to both the boys and girls, as the girls have been in many Little League Championship Finals and Finals at other levels, too.

It's always been hard to play College Baseball up here because of the rain. Teams would get in about a month less baseball than other schools would.

FWIW, the Beavers started out the season 23-3 and were ranked #2 in the nation, but with a new team having been put together, they were due to have a slump. It's no surprise that 3 of 4 Pac-10 teams won their regionals and 2 of those 3 went to the World Series. It would have been better if Arizona State had been put in the other bracket as they might have met the Beavers in the Finals.

Oregon State dominated this tournament. They trailed in only 1/2 of an inning of their last 70 innings. As the competition got tougher, they only got more dominating winning their last four games by at least 6 runs each, becoming the first team in the CWS to ever win 4 games in a row by at least 6 runs.

I was hoping the Beavers would grab the catcher Mitch Canham. They would have had to take him with their Supplemental pick, too highly projected for Canham as he went about 19 picks later, but close enough. Canham will be ready for the Majors in 3 years, where the Puxty-dude has more potential, but is at least 5 years away.

Eric_Davis
06-26-2007, 08:05 PM
The fact that the University of Oregon doesn't have a baseball program at all certainly helps.

Not much considering that the entire population of the state is about 1/4 to that of Los Angeles County.

Eric_Davis
06-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Pat Casey has just done an excellent rebuilding job. Oregon State Recruits heavily in California, and he's just lucked out the last couple of years with picking guys with big time talent like Kevin Gunderson & Mitch Canham. Casey has also really locked down the state of Oregon. I know Oregon has a good baseball talent base that before would be going elsewhere - and now they have a reason to stay home.

It just so happens to coincide with a period when the ACC is down and the Big 12 just isn't as powerful as they normally are. Being 6th in the Pac-10 isn't anything to shake a stick at - USC, UCLA, ASU, Arizona & Stanford are all baseball powerhouses with Washington certainly no lightweight.

Nebraska has had a big rebirth over the last couple of years - Creighton's been real close the last couple of seasons. Michigan is now on the cusp of being a big time team - the more competitive teams the better as far as I'm concerned.

Couldn't be more wrong in absolutely everything you said. You know nothing about this program. Most of their recruiting is from the NW. Most of their starters both positionally and pitching are from the NW. Very few are from California.

The Pac-10 was the strongest conference in the country....AGAIN. 3 of the 4 Pac-10 teams won their regionals. Only one other conference won 3 regionals. More PAC-10 teams should have been in the CWS than 4 as they had the best record among all conferences in the Regionals. Two of the 4 went to the CWS.....and they won it....AGAIN.

There was no luck in getting Gunderson and Canham as the NW has a huge amount of talent in it to choose from.

Note: Only 3 of 42 players last year were from California, and only 4 of 42 players this year. Only 1 of those 4 got playing time this year...Hopkins. So, only 1 players from California had in impact on this team this year. Why just make stuff up. Are you jealous that they won or something?

dabvu2498
06-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Not much considering that the entire population of the state is about 1/4 to that of Los Angeles County.

And there are 6 D1 baseball programs in LA County, also.

joshnky
06-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Why just make stuff up. Are you jealous that they won or something?

It might just be me but I don't think he was being negative about your team at all. He might have been wrong about a few things but he praised the coach and the PAC-10. Your team just won, there is no reason to have a chip on your shoulder.