PDA

View Full Version : GCL Reds and Billings

fargo55
06-12-2007, 07:49 PM
The Reds are starting to sort out the Rookie teams. Robbie Nickols, Brandon Rice and the 2 Aussies will stay at the GCL Reds. Josh Ravin, Valiquette and Pointer are headed to Billings. Should be more soon. Heard that several of the Dayton guys will be headed to Billings. My son Eric looks to be headed to the Rockies.

OnBaseMachine
06-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks fargo.

What about Tzu-Kai Chiu? Where is he starting?

Doc. Scott
06-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Fargo,

Is this Baseball America minor-league transactions report incorrect?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=366

I hope so.

JaxRed
06-12-2007, 08:12 PM
I wonder if he means Colorado Rockies? (I initially thought he meant Rocky Mountains around Billings)

fargo55
06-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Fargo,

Is this Baseball America minor-league transactions report incorrect?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=366

I hope so.

No, that is correct. He met with the Rockies the day after he was released and they are working on a deal. I'll keep you updated and thank you for your kind thoughts.

OnBaseMachine
06-12-2007, 08:32 PM
No, that is correct. He met with the Rockies the day after he was released and they are working on a deal. I'll keep you updated and thank you for your kind thoughts.

Man that sucks. I wish Eric the best of luck in the future. I hope you stick around and talk baseball with us fargo.

fargo55
06-13-2007, 12:06 AM
Man that sucks. I wish Eric the best of luck in the future. I hope you stick around and talk baseball with us fargo.

I have had a wonderful experience with the Reds from the early days of my own baseball. I went to watch the spring training games during spring-breaks in College. My wife has been along for the same and we will always be Reds and Reds Zone fans. Shaking hands with Rose, Bench, Morgan....was enough to lock that in. I'll be there for the Giants/Reds games, and I hope that the Reds sweep. Lets just hope Bonds doesn't set the record at GABP. As I've said before, there would be nothing Great or American about that. I plan on hanging around as long as they let me.
More on the Pitchers, Nickols, Chiu, Rafael, Aussies and Rice in the GCL. Nickols and Chiu are my bets to move up first. Billings, DelRosario, Wandless, Donaldson, Valiquette and Pointer to Montana. Wandless and Valiquette are my bets to move up first from the Mustangs. Fargo

11larkin11
06-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Sarasota, Florida or Billings, Montana? Wow, if I were a prospect I wish I had a choice...

dougdirt
06-13-2007, 12:28 AM
I would take Billings if I were a player who had to choose. You actually get fans that show up and support you. You dont start all of your games at noon under the baking sun like you do in the GCL.

dougdirt
06-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Oh and Fargo, great to hear that you will be sticking around!

Heath
06-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks fargo.

What about Tzu-Kai Chiu? Where is he starting?

I don't know about him, but I read that sorta fast and ended Tzu-Kai Chiu with "Mrs. Robinson".

:dunno:

Red Leader
06-13-2007, 09:17 AM

Sorry to hear that and I wish nothing but the best for your son. I hope to hear back from you in the future letting us all know how well your son is playing and how stupid the Reds were for letting him go. :thumbup:

Agreed. It's been a pleasure having you on this board and I hope that you stick around for a long time.

Also, make sure you tell the rest of your family that they are more than welcome to stay and keeping posting here as well. I've enjoyed conversations with them as well.

lollipopcurve
06-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Good luck to you and to Eric, fargo. I'll be pulling for him...

Topcat
06-15-2007, 04:07 AM
Best of luck to your son Fargo and I hope Eric proves the Reds wrong. Your a incredibly valued asset to this forum and Hope to hear from you soon.

Mario-Rijo
06-17-2007, 10:27 PM
The Billings roster is taking shape! Frazier headed to Dayton?

http://http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2007/06/14/sports/local/25-mustangs.txt

Mustangs' roster begins to take shape
By MIKE SCHERTING
Of The Gazette Staff

Billings Mustangs general manager Gary Roller received the first draft of this year's roster from the Cincinnati Reds on Wednesday, and one thing is clear. This year's Pioneer League team doesn't appear to have the pedigree of last year's roster.

With the first-year player draft just completed last weekend, the Reds are still signing their draft picks. As of now, the highest draft pick assigned to Billings is fifth-rounder Andrew Bowman, a left-handed pitcher out of the University of Nebraska.

Last year at this time, the Mustangs were eagerly awaiting the arrival of several top-10 picks, including first-rounder Drew Stubbs. The Reds also ended up sending second-rounder Sean Watson (pitcher) and third-rounder Chris Valaika (shortstop) to Billings.

Because the Reds drafted several high school players and several players who have college eligibility remaining, signing those players could prove difficult. The Reds picked high school catcher Devin Mesoraco with their first pick and selected Rutgers junior shortstop Todd Frazier with a supplemental first-round pick. Even if they sign with the Reds, Roller said he doesn't expect either of those players to be assigned to Billings. With the first official workout set for today at 2 p.m., and with the opener six days away, the Mustangs' roster is still in flux. And getting any roster to match the star power that last year's had would be difficult. Not only did the Reds assign several high-level players to the Mustangs, those players also performed up to their lofty status.

"You can't compare this team to last year," Roller said. "You're going to have to compare it to two, three years ago."

The early roster also contains 13 players from the Reds' extended spring training. Those at extended spring training are players under contract who were not assigned to any of the Reds' minor league clubs at the conclusion of spring training.

Pitchers Josh Ravin (a fifth-round selection in '06), Adam Pointer and Dan Donaldson all played for the Mustangs briefly at the end of last season. Fans might also remember Phil Valiquette, a seventh-round pick in 2004 who made three starts in Billings in 2005.

Other familiar names from the extended spring training list include catcher Jake Long and outfielder Michael McKennon, who both played for the Mustangs last season.

After today's workout, the team's remaining workouts are scheduled to begin at 11 a.m.

NOTES: As of Wednesday, the Mustangs had 27 players on their roster. They generally have 30 to 33 when the season starts. ... Bowman was 4-1 with a 4.32 ERA in 14 games this season. ... One of the intriguing names on the Mustangs' roster is seventh-round choice Brandon Waring of Wofford University. The 6-foot-4, 195-pound Waring won two legs of the Southern Conference's triple crown, leading the league in batting (.401) and home runs (27). His home run total placed him second in the nation behind Kyle Russell, who hit 28 for Texas.

Published on Thursday, June 14, 2007.
Last modified on 6/14/2007 at 12:48 am

reds44
06-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Fraizer doesn't surprise me, Mesoraco surprise me alot. Out of high school, I figure he was a lock for Billings. Fraizer's too advanced of a hitter to be going Billings, IMO. It wpuld be a waste.

When does Billings and GCL start?

dougdirt
06-17-2007, 10:37 PM
Fraizer doesn't surprise me, Mesoraco surprise me alot. Out of high school, I figure he was a lock for Billings. Fraizer's too advanced of a hitter to be going Billings, IMO. It wpuld be a waste.

When does Billings and GCL start?

No high school player ever starts anywhere but the GCL in the Reds system. Jay Bruce, Travis Wood, Homer Bailey etc.... all started in the GCL with the Reds.

HBP
06-17-2007, 11:22 PM
If Fraizer goes to Dayton were would he play? I assume Francisco will stay with the Dragons for the rest of the year, but Valaika will probably go to Sarasota soon.

Has there been any word on Justin Reed?

Doc. Scott
06-18-2007, 12:20 AM
If Fraizer goes to Dayton were would he play? I assume Francisco will stay with the Dragons for the rest of the year, but Valaika will probably go to Sarasota soon.

Has there been any word on Justin Reed?

I bet you they'll leave Reed in the GCL, actually. He hasn't put up very good numbers yet.

It's the good thing about high school picks: they have at least two and often three seasons to put up decent enough numbers to move up before it's time to figure out whether or not they stay. College seniors have to do well from the second they put on the uniform.

RedLegsToday
06-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Justin Reed is now showing up on the GCL Reds roster:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=472

oneupper
06-18-2007, 10:58 AM
What happened to Rick Burleson? Wasn't he the Billings manager?

redsmetz
06-18-2007, 11:48 AM
What happened to Rick Burleson? Wasn't he the Billings manager?

From the Billings website from last November:

BILLINGS, Mont. - The Cincinnati Reds have formally announced the Billings Mustangs coaching staff for the 2007 Pioneer League season. The Mustangs will be led by field manager Joe Kruzel, who spent the 2006 season as the hitting coach for the Gulf Coast League Reds, the Reds rookie affiliate.

Kruzel's staff will include pitching coach Pete Magre, who pitched for the Mustangs in 1993, and hitting coach Aaron Holbert, who played in the Major Leagues for the Reds and the St. Louis Cardinals. Rex De La Nuez will serve as the Mustangs bench coach. De La Nuez served as a scouting supervisor for the Reds last season and previously played in the Minnesota Twins organization.

Kruzel replaces Rick Burleson, who guided the Mustangs in five of the last six seasons. Burleson has accepted a roving minor league instructor position with the Reds.

"We are looking forward to the upcoming 2007 season and having Joe and his staff here in Billings," said Mustangs General Manager Gary Roller. "Joe's resume is impressive and we're confident in his abilities to provide the younger players with a professional approach to the game, both on and off the field."

Kruzel, 41, is entering his second season with the Reds. The veteran college coach spent 2005 as the assistant baseball coach at Miami University. Prior to that, he spent 15 seasons (1989-2003) at The University of Toledo, where he served as the assistant baseball coach (1989-92) and then head baseball coach (1993-2003). In addition to his coaching career, Kruzel played second base at Toledo from 1985-1988.

"I'm excited about the opportunity that the Reds have given me to begin my managerial career in Billings," Kruzel said. "We will work very hard to put a product on the field that the community can be proud of."

Terry Reynolds, the Reds director of player development, said the Reds are excited to have Kruzel at the manager of the Billings Mustangs.

"Joe has an extensive background in working with young players and this understanding should make him a very good fit in the Pioneer League," Reynolds said.

Magre, 36, pitched five years in professional baseball, four of those with the Reds organization. After pitching for the 1993 Pioneer League championship team in Billings, he went on to pitch for Class-A Charleston, Class-A Winston-Salem and Class-AA Chattanooga.

Before joining the Reds as pitching coach in Class-A Dayton in 2006, Magre was the pitching coach for the University of Incarnate Word in the Heartland Conference.

Holbert enters his first year of coaching after a 16-year minor league baseball career. The former infielder was the St. Louis Cardinals first-round pick in the June 1990 Draft. Holbert, 33, played for eight different organizations and spent the majority of his career at the Triple-A level.

Holbert hit .271 in his minor league career and stole 310 bases. He played in one game with the Cardinals in 1996 and played in 22 Big League games for the Reds in 2005 before retiring in 2006.

The Mustangs open the 2007 season on Tuesday, June 19 when they travel to Great Falls to take on the White Sox in a season-opening, three-game series.

JaxRed
06-18-2007, 11:50 AM
At this point, that is still LAST years GCL roster.

fargo55
06-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Because of the unique living arrangements in Billings, the Reds and many other Pioneer League teams, send the college draftees and older players out west. Living with host families can be a bit delicate and they have had fewer problems with the older guys. Plus, I think the Reds like having their younger guys around Sarasota where there are more coaches, a central area for housing and a little more oversight. The players who are in the process of mastering English, also tend to stay in Florida.

JaxRed
06-19-2007, 06:31 PM
The GCL roster is now offically 2007 !!

JaxRed
06-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Holy crap. 2 17 year old's.....

reds44
06-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Holy crap. 2 17 year old's.....
And I'm older then one of them.

I feel old.

OnBaseMachine
06-19-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm pretty pumped about Tzu-Kai Chiu and Thomas Fiebig. We all know about Chiu, but Fiebig is another guy to watch out for. Only 18 years old, he was signed out of Australia. He's got an ideal pitcher's frame at 6'3" and 200 pounds. Victor Navarro, the 17-year old will be interesting to watch also.

OnBaseMachine
06-19-2007, 06:47 PM
BTW, who is Ricky Rhodes? He's 18 years old and listed at 6'7" and 205 pounds. Where did he come from?

dougdirt
06-19-2007, 07:46 PM
There are lots of guys I am excited about on the GCL Roster, maybe just because of age and the fact that we know absolutely nothing about them, but regardless I am excited to have 50 or so new guys to follow.

Az. Reds Fan
06-21-2007, 02:20 PM
BTW, who is Ricky Rhodes? He's 18 years old and listed at 6'7" and 205 pounds. Where did he come from?

Everything you've always wanted to know about Ricky Rhodes...

http://www.baseball.com.au/?Page=17748

dougdirt
06-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Everything you've always wanted to know about Ricky Rhodes...

http://www.baseball.com.au/?Page=17748

Everything except a scouting report.

11larkin11
06-21-2007, 02:31 PM
And a metric to American conversion table.

Doc. Scott
06-21-2007, 02:47 PM
30cm= 12in if you've seen a ruler, so 196cm= 6 feet 6.4 inches. Apparently someone's rounding up. Maybe he grew .6 inches since 2005.

Az. Reds Fan
06-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Everything except a scouting report.

Who needs a scouting report when we now know that his nickname is "Behemeth" and his favorite movie is American Pie. Scouting reports are overrated :D

Chances are he throws a mid 80's fastball with a below average curve and no third pitch...if he was any good the Yanks or Sox would have signed him by now. :rolleyes:

Az. Reds Fan
06-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Nice article about Brandon Waring from the Billings Gazette...

Home opener: Waring looks to bring big bat to Ponies
By MIKE SCHERTING
Of The Gazette Staff

Brandon Waring wasn't expecting too much from his junior season at Wofford College.

Mainly, the 6-foot-4, 195-pounder was concerned with simply regaining his freshman form after missing most of his sophomore season with a hand injury.

He did so much more than that.

Waring wound up leading the Southern Conference this spring in hitting (.401) and home runs (27). He finished third in the league with 74 RBIs and became a first-team all-Southern Conference selection, a first-team Louisville Slugger All-American, and a unanimous choice for Most Outstanding Player in the Southern Conference Tournament. He was also named as one of 10 semifinalists for the Brooks Wallace Award, given annually by the College Baseball Foundation to the nation's top college baseball player.

Waring went into the season with no thoughts of being drafted. He ended it as a seventh-round pick of the Cincinnati Reds and the starting third baseman for the Billings Mustangs when they began the Pioneer League season in Great Falls on Tuesday.

"I never really slumped and always tried to have good at-bats," Waring said of his breakout season for the Spartanburg, S.C., college. "Good things seemed to happen every time I went up."

In 2005, Waring hit 10 home runs to set a school record at the time for a freshman. His home runs led the team, as did his 41 RBIs. Twenty-two games into his sophomore season, however, Waring broke the hamate bone in his left hand while fouling off a pitch. Though not an uncommon injury for baseball players or golfers, it prevented him from gripping a bat or even moving his wrist and he was sidelined for the rest of the season, finishing with a .266 average, four home runs and 20 RBIs.

Following surgery and some rehabilitation during fall ball, Waring was set to go this spring with some modest goals.

"I was just looking to stay healthy, have a decent year," he said. "I was looking to bat above .300, maybe hit double-digit home runs."

Waring's 27 home runs ranked him second in the nation behind Texas sophomore Kyle Russell, who hit 28. Whether those numbers will translate into home run power for the Mustangs remains to be seen. In the team's opening three-game series at Great Falls, Waring was 2-for-8 at the plate.

"There's no player at this level who's a polished guy right now," Mustangs manager Joe Kruzel said. "But I do think that there's something in there that this kid has a chance to be a special player some day. I really do."

Waring would like to think so, too, all the while acknowledging he's got several adjustments to make to become a consistent professional hitter.

"It'll take a little time, but I think I'll get the hang of it," he said. "I'm learning pretty quickly and I'm looking for good things this summer. It should be fun."