PDA

View Full Version : Rumors of Junior to Atl and Dunn to LA

RedsManRick
06-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Not looking to start anything, just trying to gather info. I've seen in multiple unconfirmed reports of both deals on various team message boards (ESPN, MLB, others) that deals are agreed to but not signed off. Anybody have anything concrete?

I'm assuming that this is everybody just reporting everybody else's rumor that somebody baked up until I hear otherwise.

Falls City Beer
06-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Not looking to start anything, just trying to gather info. I've seen in multiple places reports of both deals agreed to but not signed off. Anybody have anything concrete?

No. What "places" are you talking about? I wouldn't be surprised at a Junior deal, but I really think the market's too vague right now for a Dunn deal to have gone down.

redsfan30
06-12-2007, 07:55 PM
I just can't see the Reds trading Griffey right now. He's the only draw this team has and being this close to 600 home runs, he's going to continue to sell alot of seats by himself despite the team's record.

It would not totally surprise me if Dunn is traded, though I don't think he will be either.

I think alot of the rumors are just started by members of the media who look and say the Reds are bad, let's put rumors out for thier best players.

flyer85
06-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Not looking to start anything, just trying to gather info. I've seen in multiple places reports of both deals agreed to but not signed off. Anybody have anything concrete?I've seen nothing ... got a link

flyer85
06-12-2007, 08:00 PM
I just can't see the Reds trading Griffey right now. He's the only draw this team has and being this close to 600 home runs, he's going to continue to sell alot of seats by himself despite the team's record..if the franschise wants to remained mired in the version of hell they are currently stuck in, then continue thinking small

sonny
06-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Hamilton, Bailey and EE would be considered draws, I think.

Its still too early to trade anybody away. After the AS break, then I won't be surprised to see things moving and shaking if the team remains in it's losing ways.

KronoRed
06-12-2007, 08:05 PM
if the franschise wants to remained mired in the version of hell they are currently stuck in, then continue thinking small

Nothing the current FO has done tells me they are any different, I expect we'll soon hear how we're only 9 games back and this team just needs to get hot to get back in the race.

redsfan30
06-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Hamilton, Bailey and EE would be considered draws, I think.

Its still too early to trade anybody away. After the AS break, then I won't be surprised to see things moving and shaking if the team remains in it's losing ways.
Homer may sell tickets on his own, but not Hamilton or Encarnacion.

I doubt you're going to get a whole lot in return for Junior, so couple that and his chase of a major milestone, I just don't think trading Junior is a good idea.

I'm trying to be objective as possible, because if they day ever comes when Junior is no longer a Red, I'll probably cry.

wheels
06-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Both deals at the same time just "needing to be signed off".....

RedsMan....Can you clarify things a little, or maybe post a link? This sounds like a little more than a rumble, or mere specualtion. If I'm reading this correctly (and we can't really be sure of the source, or said source's credibility), both deals are pending a few dotted I's or crossed T's.

What we need now is knowledge.

What are the sources of the rumors?

Who would they be getting in return?

Those are just two things that pop instantly into my mind.

wheels
06-12-2007, 08:28 PM
I checked some things and there is stuff everywhere about these rumors.

I even read that Wayne gave a terse "No Comment" when he was asked about Heyman's SI.com blurb.

Don't know if he was giving a general "No Comment" about trades, or specific "No Comment" in regard to Griffey/Dunn.

Are we about to witness another desperate flail in the dark here? Seems to be far more chatter going on than usual. That I know.

sonny
06-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Still not buying it. Theres probably talk going on, but I'd be surprised to see any action (at least this early in the month).

A "terse 'no comment'"? sounds like he's more annoyed than anything.

MrCinatit
06-12-2007, 08:36 PM
After what we were supposedly going to get during last year's trades (I remember one involving Willis, Tejada and Cabrera all coming here for Lopez, Kearns, and a couple of prospects), I will believe nothing until I see it.
That is not to say I do not believe Dunn and/or Griffey will not be traded. I will be surprised if at least one of them is not moved. However, I will remain skeptical until I see names from an official source.

wheels
06-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Still not buying it. Theres probably talk going on, but I'd be surprised to see any action (at least this early in the month).

A "terse 'no comment'"? sounds like he's more annoyed than anything.

I hope you're correct.

My brain is telling me what you just said, but my gut is really giving me the 'ol what for.

Maybe something's up.

Maybe it's the pizza I ate that was left out all night.

4256 Hits
06-12-2007, 08:45 PM
I just can't see the Reds trading Griffey right now. He's the only draw this team has and being this close to 600 home runs, he's going to continue to sell alot of seats by himself despite the team's record.

It would not totally surprise me if Dunn is traded, though I don't think he will be either.

I think alot of the rumors are just started by members of the media who look and say the Reds are bad, let's put rumors out for thier best players.

If they want to being fan to the park all they need to do in W-I-N! Fans don't care what the names are on the players back if that team is scoring more runs than the other team in 60+% of the games.

IslandRed
06-12-2007, 08:47 PM
With the disclaimer of "assuming there's any truth to this," I'd like to believe that if deals are getting done this quickly, it means we caught what we were fishing for. I know this, though -- if Atlanta is taking Griffey, we're throwing a LOT of money in on the deal. That could be a good thing...

penantboundreds
06-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Just sayin' but wouldn't Griffey and Dunn be out of the lineup if this were true?

M2
06-12-2007, 08:50 PM
The modern media condition is that pure speculation in one place gets recycled everywhere. From what I can tell there's been no actual reporting on this (e.g. a Peter Gammons writing that the Reds have been in discussions with the Dodgers and Braves). There was the report that Jr. cleared Atlanta as a possible destination, so there's at least a hook to that rumor, but the Dunn rumors seem based on little more than the observation that L.A. lacks power and that Dunn has it.

Mind you, both deals could be in the works and, as far as trading partners go, both L.A. and Atlanta have compelling young talent to offer.

IslandRed
06-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Mind you, both deals could be in the works and, as far as trading partners go, both L.A. and Atlanta have compelling young talent to offer.

I tend to agree with you about it likely being just educated guessing, but our front office is pretty good at keeping its cards hidden, so I'm reluctant to dismiss the possibility entirely.

dman
06-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Report: Dunn on the market
GM mum on story that says Reds want to trade slugger
BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM
E-mail | Print | digg us! | del.icio.us!

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky on Monday declined to comment on an SI.com report saying the Reds have put outfielder Adam Dunn on the market.

The story, written by Jon Heyman, cited league sources.

When contacted by an Enquirer reporter on Monday, Krivsky said he hadn't seen the SI.com report. When told about it, he said, "I'm not going to comment on that."

• Poll: Should the Reds trade Adam Dunn?

• Tell us what you think and see comments from other readers

Dunn, who is hitting .250 with 15 home runs and 38 RBI, would be an attractive asset for teams who need a power bat.

But Dunn's shaky defense and contract could be an issue. Dunn is making $10.5 million this season. He has an option for 2008 for $13 million with a $500,000 buyout.

A trade would void that option, making Dunn a free agent in 2008. The Reds likely would have to let Dunn negotiate with the club he's being traded to, so that club knows Dunn would be with them after 2007.

"There's a 48-hour window that allows you to do that," Krivsky said.

Also on Monday:

Krivsky said reliever Bill Bray could be throwing off the mound by the end of this week. Bray took a ball off his left ring finger in spring training and suffered a small fracture. Bray had been expected to start the season in the bullpen.

Bray was examined Monday by Reds medical director Dr. Timothy E. Kremchek.

"It was really good news, just some shoulder inflammation," Krivsky said. "He could be throwing off the mound by this week."

Matt700wlw
06-12-2007, 08:58 PM
I can't confirm anything, of course last time I checked on something like this (which was the LaRue trade), I got a "cannot confirm or deny" from the Reds.

If I get one of those at some point, I'll let everybody know. :)

dman
06-12-2007, 09:01 PM
IMO, I see Dunn being traded to an American League team before going to L.A.

RedsManRick
06-12-2007, 09:58 PM
There's no one rumor -- it really is a series of rumblings and grumblings. But usually these things are based in some fact, even if it's embellished. I'm guessing that the Griffey waiving his no-trade to ATL is probably real, and that names have been discussed, but that there's nothing in place. Just parouse the Reds/Atl/LA boards on other sites and I'm sure you'll see the same. I was just hoping that somebody could provide a link that wasn't just heresay. I don't want to the next link in the heresay chain.

Sabo Fan
06-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Don't know about everybody else, but I've been preparing myself for the eventual departure of Adam Dunn for a while now, and it seems as though all signs are pointing to it being sometime this summer. I'm never one to tab a player completely off-limits, so as long as the return is good, I'm ok with moving Dunn, but I want to know that it's for the right reasons and my biggest concern is that if/when he's dealt, it'll be for all the wrong reasons.

This current administration seems to be of the opinion that the Reds would be better off without the talents that Dunn brings to the table. It's a perfectly legitimate opinion to have, but there are two qualifiers that I think need to go with it. One of those would be that the return for Dunn has to significantly improve not just the major league team but the organization as a whole. Dunn is probably the most marketable commodity the Reds possess right now and if you're going to deal him then you'd better make darn sure that the return you're getting is going to help you now and in the future. None of this "two years away" stuff. I want players (preferably pitching) that are ready to step in right away and make an impact.

My other qualifier is that I don't want Dunn traded because of the belief that he doesn't fit in witht he offensive philosophy that Krivsky has brought with him from Minnesota. I think that the strike outs have been magnified this season as a way to soften the blow when Dunn is dealt, so that most people will take the "well he K'd a lot so it's ok that he's been traded" approach. That's fine if you've got an entire lineup of high-K guys, but as I look at it now, that isn't the case with this team. Between the players that form the young nucleus of this team (Phillips, EdE, Hamilton) and those that will be in Cincinnati shortly (Bruce, Votto), it doesn't seem that they profile as a high strike out lineup. As far as I can tell that lineup is more than capable of being able to support a hitter like Dunn. A lineup that consists of Phillips, Bruce, EdE, Dunn, Votto, and Hamilton sounds pretty good to me and I don't want to see that broken up simply because of the perception that Dunn K's too much.

KoryMac5
06-12-2007, 10:42 PM
I would imagine the Angels will be taking a long look at Dunn during this series.

KronoRed
06-12-2007, 10:53 PM
I would imagine the Angels will be taking a long look at Dunn during this series.

Hopefully Stanton as well, one lefty in the pen..bad mojo

BCubb2003
06-12-2007, 10:58 PM
"I'm not going to comment on that."

"There's a 48-hour window that allows you to do that."

sonny
06-12-2007, 11:43 PM
^^ Yeah, I noticed that too.

WVPacman
06-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Out of both the players I would want to trade the guy that would bring back another good player in return.So lets be honest Jr is playing better in every way over Dunn so imo I think if we had to trade one then it would be Jr.As bad as Dunn is playing right now we would'nt get nothing good in return in a trade.Jr is a HOFamer and teams will want him on their team (even if hes old) b/c he has proven himself as a winner and will get the clutch hit when needed.

Dunn has a long ways to go to even be considered as a great clutch hitter BUT he still is young.I honestly feel we can't just give up on Dunn b/c he will always give you 40 plus homeruns and somewhere near 80 to 100 rbis a season.All he has to do is shorten down his swing when he has two strikes or when he just needs a base hit to score a run.Every player that are still kind of young ALWAYS swing for the fences b/c they want to hit that dramatic homerun.Well Dunn is still in that phase and I seriously think he will grow out of that b/c he knows if he don't then his career may be a short one b/c no team wants a player like that.

If the Reds organzation ever wants to build back a winning franchise then we HAVE TO keep our young players in order to keep building this team back to being a contending team again.Its like building a house you can't start building a house and keep tearing it back down b/c it will never get done.Thats exactly what the reds have done since 2000, they start building a team that they think will be a good team in the future,BUT before the future comes they always have to tear it back down and rebuild it again. Thats exactly what will happen again if they trade Dunn.This has to stop people!!!!

So if I would trade anybody it would be Griffey,b/c hes at the end of his career and frankly I think he deserves to go to a team that has a chance to win it all b/c he DESERVES a ring. Sorry for the long post

WVRed
06-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Out of both the players I would want to trade the guy that would bring back another good player in return.So lets be honest Jr is playing better in every way over Dunn so imo I think if we had to trade one then it would be Jr.As bad as Dunn is playing right now we would'nt get nothing good in return in a trade.Jr is a HOFamer and teams will want him on their team (even if hes old) b/c he has proven himself as a winner and will get the clutch hit when needed.

Dunn has a long ways to go to even be considered as a great clutch hitter BUT he still is young.I honestly feel we can't just give up on Dunn b/c he will always give you 40 plus homeruns and somewhere near 80 to 100 rbis a season.All he has to do is shorten down his swing when he has two strikes or when he just needs a base hit to score a run.Every player that are still kind of young ALWAYS swing for the fences b/c they want to hit that dramatic homerun.Well Dunn is still in that phase and I seriously think he will grow out of that b/c he knows if he don't then his career may be a short one b/c team wants a player like that.

If the Reds organzation ever wants to build back a winning franchise then we HAVE TO keep our young players in order to keep building this team back to being a contending team again.Its like building a house you can't start building a house and keep tearing it back down b/c it will never get done.Thats exactly what the reds have done since 2000, they start building a team that they think will be a good team in the future,BUT before the future comes they always have to tear it back down a rebuild it again. Thats exactly what will happen again if they trade Dunn.This has to stop people!!!!

So if I would trade anybody it would be Griffey,b/c hes at the end of his career and frankly I think he deserves to go to a team that has a chance to win it all b/c he DESERVES a ring. Sorry for the long post

Excellent post.

I think Griffey is staying for marketability reasons. I don't think the sign in CF to highlight Griffeys chase of 600 is temporary.:)

flyer85
06-12-2007, 11:54 PM
This organization really has no clue what they should do or any idea about how to build a winner. The method used to this point has simply been to keep thowing it against the wall and see what sticks.

WVPacman
06-13-2007, 12:07 AM
This organization really has no clue what they should do or any idea about how to build a winner. The method used to this point has simply been to keep thowing it against the wall and see what sticks.

I agree completly im also starting to think they don't have any clue on how to build a conending team.they promised us before they ever started building GABP that opening day the reds would once again be a contending team.Well GABP has been open for a few years now and im still wondering were our contending team is.The only way that I would trade Dunn is if we would get a very talented player in return... and we all know that that won't happen b/c Dunn is struggling way to bad.If they trade Dunn, then you can book it that they will also trade EE,Phillips,and yes even Hamilton and imo that would be stupid to trade any of them/young players.

MartyFan
06-13-2007, 01:13 PM
For the style of team that Special K is trying to build, Junior fits the mold better than Dunn...Dunn is lumbering, hard hands, etc...that said, I love his power but there are other elements we need before his power becomes useful...for that reason I think Dunn is done in Cincy.

flyer85
06-13-2007, 01:48 PM
For the style of team that Special K is trying to build, Junior fits the mold better than DunnDunn is not slow( he make look slow because of his size), however, Jr is slow. Dunn struggles in two areas defensively, going back on balls and getting set before he throws(being large is a disadvantage here). Jr struggles on coming in on balls, it's why you see catchable balls falling in front of him quite often. Neither fits the style of team that we are assuming Krivsky would like.

MartyFan
06-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Dunn is not slow( he make look slow because of his size), however, Jr is slow. Dunn struggles in two areas defensively, going back on balls and getting set before he throws(being large is a disadvantage here). Jr struggles on coming in on balls, it's why you see catchable balls falling in front of him quite often. Neither fits the style of team that we are assuming Krivsky would like.

But of the two, only one is a sure fire first ballot HOFer and he puts people in the seats...Dunn, is something to see but Junior is the one they come to see.

As for the balls hit in front of Junior, how does he stack up against others around the league in RF?

And comparatively how does Dunn stack up around the league to other LF?

I am talking only about Defense here...I think Junior probably outshines more players at his position than Dun does his...and I also think Junior is outperforming Dunn at the dish.

Az Red
06-13-2007, 02:11 PM
The writing was on the wall for Dunn's departure when WK pulled the trigger on the Kearns trade. I think he's just trying not to get mud on his face this time around.

One thing to note, winning 4 of the last 5 has come without much help from Dunn. Last 7 games: .200 BA/.345 OBP/.450 SLG. Double edge sword here: The Reds can win (small sample) without him but what team thinks they can win with him...

Just another mid-season soap opera.

RedsManRick
06-13-2007, 02:14 PM
The writing was on the wall for Dunn's departure when WK pulled the trigger on the Kearns trade. I think he's just trying not to get mud on his face this time around.

One thing to note, winning 4 of the last 5 has come without much help from Dunn. Last 7 games: .200 BA/.345 OBP/.450 SLG. Double edge sword here: The Reds can win (small sample) without him but what team thinks they can win with him...

Just wanted to point out that .200/.345/.450 is more productive than .287/.326/.379 (guess who).

Kc61
06-13-2007, 02:15 PM
If this were only about baseball, both Dunn and Griff would be traded right now. Dunn because of his contract. Griff because he is healthy.

It will be hard to replace Dunn's power, but they have Bruce coming up and virtually every good hitter in the organization can become a left fielder if necessary. I just see many solutions to that position that won't cost $13.5 mill per year. And you can acquire a left fielder too, for a lot less $. Teams do win without sluggers like Dunn if they have good pitching and solid position players.

Griffey, I think, is harder to replace because he is still truly a good hitter. But, if you are looking to maximize the team, he is finally healthy and raking. You can't count on his health in the future. Now is the time to make a deal.

So, if it's only baseball (not attendance, publicity, ratings, etc.) you trade them both. Now.

BRM
06-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Just wanted to point out that .200/.345/.450 is more productive than .287/.326/.379 (guess who).

That "guess who" you speak of is .143/.200/.286 over the last 7 days.

RedEye
06-13-2007, 02:36 PM

Of course you can cherry pick a 7-game stretch to prove anything you want, but this is not the type of measuring stick we should be using to judge Dunn's worth.

Dunn has hardly missed any games the past few years, so it's really hard to tell whether or not the Reds could win without him. All we do know for certain is that they haven't been a very spectacular team with him (or any of the other players they have right now for that matter).

If we are going to trade Dunn, it's because of what we might be able to get back and because of what we project our budget to be like in the next few years, and not because we have proven we can "win without him."

Matt700wlw
06-13-2007, 03:01 PM
More on Dunn

http://mvn.com/mlb-baseballistic/2007/06/12/are-the-reds-done-with-dunn/

Matt700wlw
06-13-2007, 03:03 PM
More from Buster Olney

ESPN
Spoke with talent evaluators around both leagues this week, and they think Cincinnati GM Wayne Krivsky is in a very tough spot as he considers trading both Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. Dunn's value is greatly compromised by the fact that he can opt for free agency at the end of this season if he is traded, ........"Why would you give up anything good for him?" an executive said rhetorically, on Tuesday....................................The White Sox, again, have been kicking the tires on the idea of a Griffey trade .....Are the Reds prepared to deal one or both of their most recognizable players for one or two Grade B prospects? The casual fans of the Reds certainly will throw up their hands and ask, "Is this all we got?"

BRM
06-13-2007, 03:07 PM
More from Buster Olney

ESPN
Spoke with talent evaluators around both leagues this week, and they think Cincinnati GM Wayne Krivsky is in a very tough spot as he considers trading both Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. Dunn's value is greatly compromised by the fact that he can opt for free agency at the end of this season if he is traded, ........"Why would you give up anything good for him?" an executive said rhetorically, on Tuesday....................................The White Sox, again, have been kicking the tires on the idea of a Griffey trade .....Are the Reds prepared to deal one or both of their most recognizable players for one or two Grade B prospects? The casual fans of the Reds certainly will throw up their hands and ask, "Is this all we got?"

I'm guessing a team wouldn't give up much for Dunn unless they could negotiate an LTC with him.

TeamBoone
06-13-2007, 03:09 PM
More from Buster Olney

ESPN
Are the Reds prepared to deal one or both of their most recognizable players for one or two Grade B prospects? The casual fans of the Reds certainly will throw up their hands and ask, "Is this all we got?"

I think the knowledgeable fans might be more apt to do that than the casual fans.

M2
06-13-2007, 03:10 PM
"Why would you give up anything good for him?" an executive said rhetorically

Because, theoretically, you're trying to win baseball games.

Matt700wlw
06-13-2007, 03:17 PM
More!

DDN
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2007/06/12/ddn061307dunn.html

PAUL DAUGHERTY
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070613/COL03/706130409/1082/SPT

RedsManRick
06-13-2007, 03:24 PM
When was the last time an anonymous executive said "Personally, I'd trade a top prospect to get him"? They know they're being quoted and have no interest in bidding against themselves.

RedEye
06-13-2007, 03:29 PM
When was the last time an anonymous executive said "Personally, I'd trade a top prospect to get him"? They know they're being quoted and have no interest in bidding against themselves.

If someone did that, it would be a priceless quote. I can just see Krivsky going public and saying "We'd really like to land Torii Hunter from the Twins, and we're willing to give up anything they ask for. You can quote me on that, too!"

I think the only time something like that has happened is around the NFL draft. Didn't Ditka do something like that when he really wanted to move up to draft Ricky Williams? Anyway, sorry about the complete tangent. Carry on.

Red Leader
06-13-2007, 03:34 PM
I can picture Wayne walking into the Red Sox suite at the winter meetings wearing a blonde wig cap and a big foam finger. "You wanna talk?"

:dunno:

traderumor
06-13-2007, 03:39 PM
The scouts are behaving like buzzards about right now, circling in search of some good meat on the rotting carcass that is the Reds. And, no, I don't write Marty's analogies for him ;)

KronoRed
06-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Sounds like from the Reds side it might be better to let him go and get draft picks

smith288
06-13-2007, 03:47 PM
I dont think it matters what you read in the clippings. No team is going to give out delicious quotes indicating their interest either way.

One team could be uber interested and would give up the farm but dont want their rival in their division to know... Another could be giving up meat to the press just to scare other teams into over bidding... who knows.

redsmetz
06-13-2007, 04:56 PM
I dont think it matters what you read in the clippings. No team is going to give out delicious quotes indicating their interest either way.

One team could be uber interested and would give up the farm but dont want their rival in their division to know... Another could be giving up meat to the press just to scare other teams into over bidding... who knows.

I'm not sure the acquiring team could make a statement - wouldn't that be considered tampering?

Someone mentioned Krivsky's "no comment" and wondered whether it was a loaded "no comment" or just the usual. I think WK's standard operating procedure is to not comment on players moves until they happen. So I'm thinking there's nothing to it one way or the other. I think that's good, but it drives the info hounds up a wall.

paulrichjr
06-13-2007, 08:15 PM
I will admit that I didn't check every page of this thread nor did I check all of the others before posting this so ignore if you have read it. It was ESPN and I felt that many might not have seen it... I personally am not interested in watching Norris Hopper roam the outfield while Dunn goes to some other team for a grade B prospect. Keep them all and take the compensation picks when they leave or try to win this horrible division that we are in.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=olney_buster

Spoke with talent evaluators around both leagues this week, and they think Cincinnati GM Wayne Krivsky is in a very tough spot as he considers trading both Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. Dunn's value is greatly compromised by the fact that he can opt for free agency at the end of this season if he is traded, so if you are an executive making an offer for Dunn, you're basically looking at having the slugger for 3½ months -- for acquiring a high-strikeout hitter who may have less than zero impact. "Why would you give up anything good for him?" an executive said rhetorically, on Tuesday. The sticking point to any Dunn trade is his contract, writes Hal McCoy.

And Griffey Jr., as well, isn't a sure-thing asset to help your team. The White Sox, again, have been kicking the tires on the idea of a Griffey trade (It's unclear whether the White Sox have actually approached the Reds with this, or if they are just talking about it internally, but it has been discussed), but if you trade for the future Hall of Famer, what are you getting? Are you getting the high-power slugger you've seen the last six weeks, or will you be trading for someone who will inevitably wind up spending more time on the disabled list than in your lineup?

So Krivsky has two players who have much more star power, because of name recognition, than actual on-field value to other teams, and what he has to weigh is this: Are the Reds prepared to deal one or both of their most recognizable players for one or two Grade B prospects? The casual fans of the Reds certainly will throw up their hands and ask, "Is this all we got?"

It will be hard to trade Dunn, writes Paul Daugherty.