PDA

View Full Version : What's Will Carroll Talking About?

membengal
06-13-2007, 06:32 AM
From a column:

"Remember where you were when the Reds signed Eric Milton? I'm pretty sure a lot of people had the same reaction I did. Milton's Reds career is essentially over now with the announcement that he'd undergo Tommy John surgery. It appears the slot Homer Bailey is sitting in could well be permanent, and that the biggest mistake of the previous administration will never pay off. Don't get me wrong here; there is much more blame to be placed on the previous ownership than the front office for this move, a story that deserves a telling someday. As for Milton, he should recover, and being left-handed, should get picked up somewhere in hopes that he could return sometime in the second half of 08, a la Randy Wolf last season."

Um, what?

I don't understand what Carroll is getting at here. Anyone have a clue?

Highlifeman21
06-13-2007, 06:48 AM
At first glance, it appears that he's saying the Milton injury influenced the rush job to bring up Homer.

Bad contract + Injury to bad contract player = Acceleration of Organization's Prize Prospect.

membengal
06-13-2007, 06:54 AM
Yeah, that's my initial guess too.

But I don't know what he means by "the biggest mistake of the previous administation will never pay off".

Just a weird collection of sentences.

JaxRed
06-13-2007, 07:07 AM
Nah, he's saying essentially that ownership forced O'Brien to sign Milton, which there have been rumblings about in the past.

edabbs44
06-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Yeah, that's my initial guess too.

But I don't know what he means by "the biggest mistake of the previous administation will never pay off".

Just a weird collection of sentences.

Milton = biggest mistake who will never pay off, since he will never pitch for Cincy again.

membengal
06-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Okay.

I guess that's it.

Course, he was always going to be a biggest mistake and was never going to pay off regardless of how his 2007 ended, but, if that's what Carroll was going for, okay.

Thanks.

Needlessly inscrutable.

RedEye
06-13-2007, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=membengal;1383002]
"It appears the slot Homer Bailey is sitting in could well be permanent, and that the biggest mistake of the previous administration will never pay off.

It seems pretty unlikely that most "big mistakes" end up "paying off" for teams. This is a pretty nonsensical sentence IMO.

Matt700wlw
06-13-2007, 02:49 PM
At first glance, it appears that he's saying the Milton injury influenced the rush job to bring up Homer.

Bad contract + Injury to bad contract player = Acceleration of Organization's Prize Prospect.

Milton's injury rushed Bailey?

Then why was Bobby Livingston here twice, and Saarloos given a shot?

They could have kept with thier Bailey's not ready stuff, and left Livingston up here for good, or at least until Bailey "was ready" down the road.

They didn't do that....they made the move

I think I'm on the side that previous ownership forced DanO to sign someone, and Milton was the best of what was left, so they threw ungodly amounts of money at him....and as we know, turned out to be the worst (or close to the worst) free agency signing in Reds history

pedro
06-13-2007, 02:52 PM
either way, that's one lousy piece of writing.

TeamBoone
06-13-2007, 02:56 PM
I can't remember... who was traded for Milton?

Matt700wlw
06-13-2007, 02:58 PM

Free Agent signing

Cooper
06-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Supposedly Milton admitted his arm has not been right since 2004. Has anyone else heard such a thing? I heard it on the radio (1530am) and i ain't sure it's true at all.

I'm guessing they knew he wasn't completely right and they pulled the string anyway...but that has been talked about here for a long time.

flyer85
06-13-2007, 03:28 PM
I can't remember... who was traded for Milton?$$$$$$

KronoRed
06-13-2007, 03:40 PM
A whole lot of $$

smith288
06-13-2007, 03:51 PM
$$$ that would have been better served giving to the poor instead of Milton... The Reds could have at least had a sense of accomplishment.

BoydsOfSummer
06-13-2007, 04:03 PM

See...it could have been worse guys. We could have traded a warm body plus flushed 27M.;)