PDA

View Full Version : Potential deals with the Yankees

Red Leader
06-13-2007, 10:51 AM
It was mentioned in the SunDeck that the Reds had a scout at the Yankees game and that the Yankees had interest in Adam Dunn and David Weathers. The Yankees make for a very interesting trade partner as they have several players that could help the Reds in the future.

Among them:

OF Jose Tabata - a RH OFer, is one of the games best OF prospects at 18 years old. He's currently in High-A Tampa (I believe). The only mark on him is that he's had some wrist injuries and some believe he has a cyst in the wrist that could require surgery down the road. He'd be a tick behind Jay Bruce in the Reds system and probably in line with Drew Stubbs. He's a true 5 tool prospect.

SP Dellin Betances - Betances is 19 years old. He is a big guy. He has yet to put a lot of muscle on his frame. He throws a 93-97 mph fastball, hitting 98, with nasty movement on it. He throws it with command and consistent mechanics. His fastball can do nothing but improve. He also throws a plus-knuckle curve, and a plus changeup.

SP Joba Chamberlain - Chamberlain is a big guy. He has a big fastball. Chamberlain throws 94-97 with plenty of life. He has had weight issues in the past, but seems to have it under control. To compliment his plus fastball, he throws a above average-plus slider, an above average curveball, and a devloping changeup. He has good control, but can lack command at times.

SP Ian Kennedy - Kennedy is a 22 yr old RHP that throws a 88-92 4-seam fastball. He also throws a plus-plus changeup and an above average curve and slider. His strength is his command. He is said to be able to locate his pitches in whatever 1 inch box of the zone that he wants, whenever he wants. He compares favorably to Mike Mussina. His weakness is his fastball velocity. Some believe that because his fastball only tops out at 92, he'll struggle to become more than a 4th pitcher in the rotation. His excellent command, and plus secondary pitches could prove them wrong, however.

If we could get Tabata and 2 of the 3 pitchers for Dunn and Weathers, I'd be more than happy with the return. Yeah, they are pretty much all young prospects that have a decent road ahead of them before they reach the majors, but they will all be good prospects and Tabata and Betances could be superstars at the MLB level.

Joseph
06-13-2007, 10:53 AM
I'd not mind one of them for Weathers, but I want something major league ready for Dunn personally.

NJReds
06-13-2007, 10:59 AM
I'd not mind one of them for Weathers, but I want something major league ready for Dunn personally.

They don't have anything 'major league' ready. The Yankee system has some young prospects, but not much at the top.

M2
06-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Former Reds draftee Colin Curtis (an OF) has done well in the Yankees system, now he's in high A (.309/.386/.438).

Joseph
06-13-2007, 11:10 AM
They don't have anything 'major league' ready. The Yankee system has some young prospects, but not much at the top.

Absolutely I understand that, which is why I don't know if the Yankees are the best option to send Dunn.

Red Leader
06-13-2007, 11:10 AM

The only "major league" ready players they have are:

1) Melky Cabrera - switch hitting OF rumored to be available last year, not sure about this year. The Yankees have Damon, Matsui and Abreu as OFers for this year. Giambi is the DH. I'm sure they'd want Dunn to play 1B. Cabrera might be available if Dunn is included as he really has no place to play unless there is an injury. I was going to mention that Abreu is a F.A. after this year, but the Yankees don't think long term to make moves. They are making moves to win this year.

2) Phillip Hughes - would be a steal but they won't deal him.

3) Tyler Clippard - has pitched this year in MLB, but if the Yanks are going for the pennant, they'll probably need this guy.

4) T.J. Beam - a relief pitcher that has pitched in the majors but isn't what I would call dominant by any stretch of the imagination.

Cabrera, if available, could be an interesting option for the Reds as he is definitely major league ready and has some talent. He might be Super-2 eligible for the 2009 season. I'd be fine with Cabrera and 2 of the pitching prospects for Dunn and Weathers.

lollipopcurve
06-13-2007, 11:15 AM
I have thought the Yanks may have interest in Dunn. Lefty sluggers are a staple in the Bronx, but Giambi is fading quickly, Abreu has been slumping all year and Posada is in his mid-30s. Their system has no lefty bats of any significance. Unless they feel like counting on landing Teixeira (I doubt Baltimore will be outspent by anyone in that derby), this may be their best chance of landing a significant LH power hitter in his prime.

Their prospect pool looks decent, but NY prospects tend to be overhyped, and none of these guys -- Chamberlain, Kennedy, Betances, Tabata -- is particularly close.

Benihana
06-13-2007, 11:16 AM
I'd be very wary of the oft-overhyped Yankees prospects.

See: Claussen, Henson, Yarnall, Melian, Reith, Jimenez, Pena, Manning, et. al

That said, I'd LOVE to trade Weathers for Tabata, Curtis, Chamberlain, or Kennedy. I'd rather trade Dunn to a different organization.

KoryMac5
06-13-2007, 11:19 AM
I would also add Stanton to the list of Reds the Yankees might shop for.

flyer85
06-13-2007, 11:31 AM
I'd not mind one of them for Weathers, but I want something major league ready for Dunn personally.maybe the Tigers could send along Maybin.

Benihana
06-13-2007, 11:46 AM
maybe the Tigers could send along Maybin.

I'd much rather have Andrew Miller ;)

NJReds
06-13-2007, 11:53 AM
The only "major league" ready players they have are:

1) Melky Cabrera - switch hitting OF rumored to be available last year, not sure about this year. The Yankees have Damon, Matsui and Abreu as OFers for this year. Giambi is the DH. I'm sure they'd want Dunn to play 1B. Cabrera might be available if Dunn is included as he really has no place to play unless there is an injury. I was going to mention that Abreu is a F.A. after this year, but the Yankees don't think long term to make moves. They are making moves to win this year.

2) Phillip Hughes - would be a steal but they won't deal him.

3) Tyler Clippard - has pitched this year in MLB, but if the Yanks are going for the pennant, they'll probably need this guy.

4) T.J. Beam - a relief pitcher that has pitched in the majors but isn't what I would call dominant by any stretch of the imagination.

Cabrera, if available, could be an interesting option for the Reds as he is definitely major league ready and has some talent. He might be Super-2 eligible for the 2009 season. I'd be fine with Cabrera and 2 of the pitching prospects for Dunn and Weathers.

They won't deal Cabrera, because Damon just can't handle CF right now. His range is dwindling fast, and he never had an arm. The Yankees have begun a resurgance since Giambi was injured. Damon slotted into the DH spot (and will play some 1st base), and Melky is manning CF, giving the Yankees some much needed defense.

If Melky is dealt, it'll be much more likely in a deal for Andrew Jones than for Adam Dunn.

I've seen Beam pitch, and I'm not impressed. Clippard is okay, but nothing special.

Edit: however I could see Hatteburg or Conine get shipped to NY along with Weathers for some minor leaguers. Or perhaps Farnsworth if the Yankees picked up some of his salary.

They have a pitcher in AAA named Edwar Ramirez (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Edwar%2520Ramirez&pos=P&sid=t531&t=p_pbp&pid=469735)who's being used as a closer...26 yrs. old...seems to miss a lot of bats.

schroomytunes
06-13-2007, 12:45 PM
If we do any deal with the Yankees then it probably wont include Dunn, as there biggest need is bullpen and 1st base. If I'm Krivsky then I would offer this deal:

Reds trade:1) David Weathers(RP)-he instantly becomes the set-up man for Mariano Rivera. Weathers will be able to allow the back end of the bullpen to become a plus for them.

2)Scott Hatteberg/Jeff Conine(1b)-these guys can play 1st, and hit for decent average and are good to have off the bench. Hatteberg is a high OBP guy that could set the tables for the big sluggers,while Conine gives them the 1b/OF flexability.

Yankees trade:
1)Joba Chamberlain(AA)-the Reds get a big 22yr old that has a live arm, he is a few years away, but gives them a solid guy for the future.

2)Sean Henn(MLB)-he is 26 yrs old, numbers are decent not spectacular, but he is a guy that can start if needed, but works best as the long relief guy, he would help out the middle of the bullpen.

IMHO this deal helps both teams as the Yankees get some pieces that help them shore up weaknesses w/o breaking the bank or giving up top prospects. While the Reds get some young guys that can help the pitching staff for 2 veterens that will not be here when we are able to compete.

RedEye
06-13-2007, 12:54 PM
If we are trading Dunn to the Yanks, I'd hope for something like a package of Cabrera-Chamberlain-Beam.

Heath
06-13-2007, 02:36 PM
If you think we are hard on Dunn, wait until New Yorker gets his hands on Dunn's unclutchness.

It will drive him to Houston quicker.

red-in-la
06-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Hey, has anybody noticed that the Reds are only 3 games out of 2nd place in the NL Central? What happens to thoughts of trading with anybody if that margin gets any smaller?

BRM
06-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Hey, has anybody noticed that the Reds are only 3 games out of 2nd place in the NL Central? What happens to thoughts of trading with anybody if that margin gets any smaller?

I fear Wayne will go "all in" if the Reds climb to 2nd in the division by the AS break. Even if the team is 7 or 8 games below .500 at the time.

KronoRed
06-13-2007, 03:39 PM
I fear Wayne will go "all in" if the Reds climb to 2nd in the division by the AS break. Even if the team is 7 or 8 games below .500 at the time.

Same as it ever was..

Redny
06-13-2007, 06:38 PM
If the Reds had a scout at the Yankee game it obviously was to look at a major league player (or players). There is not alot on the Yankee team that the Reds could be looking at. The Yanks need 1B and could deal a reliever (Farnsworth) to get Hatteberg even though they have a bit of a bullpen problem themselves.

Of course it is also possible the Reds scout was there to look at someone on the D'Backs, not the Yankees. A thought that probably escaped those in the NY/NJ press corp.

vaticanplum
06-13-2007, 10:34 PM
If you think we are hard on Dunn, wait until New Yorker gets his hands on Dunn's unclutchness.

It will drive him to Houston quicker.

Depends on how he performs there. They might have a better handle on his hitting, and in that lineup he's unlikely to get on base without runners ahead of him nearly as often as he does batting fifth or sixth in Cincinnati.

I definitely don't think of Adam Dunn as emotionally fragile or inherently unclutch, which are the things that tend to drive New York fans batty, even if they're only perceived. He's often a victim of his own wavery technique and of poor management, both of which could be fixed pretty easily on another team. Also, the current whipping boy in New York is just that because of the salary he makes and his reputation as the best player in a generation. Adam Dunn would come to New York saddled with neither of those things. Nobody gives Robinson Cano much grief when he struggles in the clutch.

MartyFan
06-14-2007, 07:04 AM
This morning there is an article on FoxSports.com that supposes that Giambi may be headed for a suspension...with that in mind, a Dunn to NY trade or Junior to NY trade could be in the offing...or it is at least feasible.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6920604