PDA

View Full Version : Teams Buying Their Own Stations Continues

MartyFan
06-14-2007, 09:26 AM
In the article it says Pohlad is just putting together a "little media group" but frankly, this increases revenues for a team. It would be horribly naive for a team not to consider owning a media group if for no other reason than branding and of course off season ad revenue that can be generated for a relatively low investment.

I think the Reds will be on this train before long.

Twins Owner Carl Pohlad Money Behind Northern Lights
Yesterday's shocker (NET NEWS 6/13) that RADIO ONE had sold KTTB (B96)/MINNEAPOLIS to NORTHERN LIGHTS BROADCASTING LLC, a new company headed by longtime TWIN CITIES radio broadcaster STEVE WOODBURY, who has been the station's VP/GM but is now elevated to Pres./CEO, has more details TODAY. Some of the financing behind the deal came from MINNESOTA TWINS owner CARL POHLAD, who is contemplating buying more broadcast outlets.

POHLAD bought KTTB "just to get into the industry," said WOODBURY. "My charge is to find other radio stations and possibly TV and build a little media group." WOODBURY said he began searching for local investors in late 2005 after RADIO ONE executives told him they wanted to sell the station. He said the old owners felt that the TWIN CITIES area did not have a large enough black population to support the format.

WOODBURY said he pitched the station to POHLAD, who spent the better part of the last year analyzing the business. WOODBURY wouldn't disclose specifics but said the station is "very profitable." KTTB will retain its format and staff, including its on-air personalities, he said. "I've grown up in the radio business and I believe local broadcast ownership is important," WOODBURY said.

Besides the TWINS, POHLAD and his three sons also have holdings in financial services, soft drinks and jewelry. WOODBURY said the station purchase is part of the continuing diversification of their holdings.

Heath
06-14-2007, 10:17 AM
I wonder if the days of radio conglomerations are fading and the cycle of new, independent stations are returning?

Redleg Broadcasting. I like it.

Chip R
06-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Redleg Broadcasting. I like it.

Be careful what you wish for. You might get it. I think I can imagine what an all Reds all the time station would be like and it won't be pretty to a lot of folks here.

Heath
06-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Be careful what you wish for. You might get it. I think I can imagine what an all Reds all the time station would be like and it won't be pretty to a lot of folks here.

Your Story Hour with Uncle Marty.

Joe Nuxhall's Hour of Pronunciation Power.

Tom Emanski's One Minute Fielding Tip of the Day.

Inside the Manager's Head with Ray Knight.

Doc Kremcheck's World - Today's topic - Prolonged Injuries, Creative Marketing, the Medical Privacy Act and You.

Seriously, if the Reds had some type of Broadcasting network, it probably would involve ESPN Radio. I'd like it to broadcast old Reds games and stuff like that.

15fan
06-14-2007, 11:46 AM
The Bengals already have their own channel.

Court TV.

dabvu2498
06-14-2007, 11:54 AM
KTTB is a hip-hop station.

StillFunkyB
06-14-2007, 11:11 PM

Court TV.

:laugh:

MartyFan
06-18-2007, 10:30 PM
KTTB is a hip-hop station.

For now...

Matt700wlw
06-18-2007, 10:39 PM

Court TV.

http://ic1.deviantart.com/images3/i/2004/11/3/e/Rim_Shot_emoticon.gif

WVRedsFan
06-19-2007, 01:29 AM
In the article it says Pohlad is just putting together a "little media group" but frankly, this increases revenues for a team. It would be horribly naive for a team not to consider owning a media group if for no other reason than branding and of course off season ad revenue that can be generated for a relatively low investment.

I think the Reds will be on this train before long.

The only problem with this is the Reds are a *regional* team. It's just not Cincinnati, but southern Ohio, Eastern Indiana, Northern Kentucky, most of West Virginia and parts of southwest Virginia follow the Reds. Put it on a local station and not a 50,000-watt station and you lose more than half your fan base. Of course, i don't know how aware of this, Bob Castellini is. The fact that Suddenlink Communications picked up the entire Reds package here in WV should be a clue.

One of the few joys of this season has been the fact that XM subscribers (of which I am one) can get all the pre-game and post-game stuff from WLW on XM as well as the games. Nice. Now we get all the TV games locally. Super nice. Now if we just had a front office and field management to field a team worthy of this coverage...

Throw that show onto a local AM station and fans lose all of that who don't happen to live within 20 miles of Cincinnati.

Of courwse, I expect this to happen. With all the great <choke> moves this leadership has given us, this would be one more thing that would turn off fans--something they've proven that they are pretty good at. Remember all the talk about bringing the Reds back to contention? Whatever happened to that?

MartyFan
06-19-2007, 02:11 PM
The only problem with this is the Reds are a *regional* team. It's just not Cincinnati, but southern Ohio, Eastern Indiana, Northern Kentucky, most of West Virginia and parts of southwest Virginia follow the Reds. Put it on a local station and not a 50,000-watt station and you lose more than half your fan base. Of course, i don't know how aware of this, Bob Castellini is. The fact that Suddenlink Communications picked up the entire Reds package here in WV should be a clue.

One of the few joys of this season has been the fact that XM subscribers (of which I am one) can get all the pre-game and post-game stuff from WLW on XM as well as the games. Nice. Now we get all the TV games locally. Super nice. Now if we just had a front office and field management to field a team worthy of this coverage...

Throw that show onto a local AM station and fans lose all of that who don't happen to live within 20 miles of Cincinnati.

Of courwse, I expect this to happen. With all the great <choke> moves this leadership has given us, this would be one more thing that would turn off fans--something they've proven that they are pretty good at. Remember all the talk about bringing the Reds back to contention? Whatever happened to that?

Well, I think that you have an interesting observation but I am not sure I agree with it...I mean I can totally see what you are talking about but it actually may benefit the Reds to jump from the 50,000 W giant they are on currently to move to a lower powered station that covers ONLY Cincinnati...what this does is allows the regional stations who wanted to broadcast the reds on their sticks to do so...because of the revenues generated through local programming on their own station and the ability to add to the number of stations in their network they could demand even more money for their ad rates...not to mention the absolute PLUS it would be for the organization in Cincinnati who all but forgets they are around after the All Star Break...thing is this could help them in all areas of their fan base, revenue and marketing efforts.

Additionally I think there is sufficient proof that the moves this leadership have made have made this organization stronger than it has been in years if for no other reason than the players discarded under-perform the players brought in.

I drink the Kool Aide and LOVE Special K and Mr. C...this leadership will build a contending team...possibly as early as next year.

Chip R
06-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Well, I think that you have an interesting observation but I am not sure I agree with it...I mean I can totally see what you are talking about but it actually may benefit the Reds to jump from the 50,000 W giant they are on currently to move to a lower powered station that covers ONLY Cincinnati...what this does is allows the regional stations who wanted to broadcast the reds on their sticks to do so...because of the revenues generated through local programming on their own station and the ability to add to the number of stations in their network they could demand even more money for their ad rates...not to mention the absolute PLUS it would be for the organization in Cincinnati who all but forgets they are around after the All Star Break...thing is this could help them in all areas of their fan base, revenue and marketing efforts.

I'm not so sure I'd agree with that. The big advantage with 700 is its signal which can be heard in 30 some states. I can't tell you how much that meant to me back when I lived in Iowa and had no other access to the Reds. There's also the tradition factor.

However, while WLW can be heard in 30 some states, it can only be heard at night for the most part and even then, the signal fades in and out and it can have a lot of static. It can be quite maddening when you hear Marty say, "Here's the 3-2 to Pujols" and then all you hear is static. That was adequete when it was the only game in town. But it isn't any more. With the internet and XM, even people halfway across the world can hear ball games now. I'm guessing owning your own station makes things a little easier as far as advertising goes. It can also be another place to hide losses or revenues. I'm also not so sure the smaller affiliates really want anything to do with baseball games. Why do that when other programming can make more money?

It doesn't really matter to me but if the Reds do switch stations, I hope it's not some crappy station you can't hear outside the 275 loop.

MartyFan
06-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Chip:

The big signal doesn't really do anything for the Reds...The Reds are not THE Team in Iowa and the big signal doesn't do anything for the team when it comes to revenue because you only count revenue in a logical area of impact.

With that in mind, small market radio stations like in Olive Hill, KY...Belpre, OH...Hillsboro, OH all program sports programs because they are a low cost, high profit product...some don't even need to use board ops at the station on game days as they can be automated...it is an easy sell for the sales force because the tradition of the product is again a low investment way to get businesses that would not usually advertise on radio to do just that.

IN several small market radio stations I worked in over the years the biggest money makers we had were Pro baseball, high school football and auto sports. The reason they were so profitable was because of the number of commercial spot availabilities...so, the people that were buying on these programs were getting a real high frequency of spots to a very concentrated audience that would be interested in their product because they supported the team that the listener is a fan of.

Clear Channel is breaking off some of their properties and with that in mind some staff will be shifting from here to there and back again...new ownership groups known product to sell to generate revenue....and at the end of the day, it's all about revenue.

The only format I ever worked in that made more of a ROI than sports programming was Christian Teaching-Talk...not the most popular format but it has a very loyal audience who support the advertisers who underwrite their favorite programming...in addition to the commercials, pretty much every teaching program pays a fee to the radio station for the air time...the station I programmed in particular broadcast from sun up to sun down...on average we were on air for 14 hours a day because the sun up and sun down time change year round. On average we only had a 5&#37; under sell...meaning of all the available inventory (commercial slots) only 5% of them were unused..so, out of 14 hours a day of broadcasting...13.3 hours were delivering a commercial message and producing income.

Just saying regardless of the station signal size...with the right product every station is a cash cow and if they are not it is because the ownership, management or programming department are programming to hunches, personal preferences or just not very good at what they do.

For a team to buy a station they open up a year round source of revenue and marketing...some day I may get back in radio and if I buy a station it will either be Sports or Christian talk/teaching...those two stations offer the best scenario for financial success.

Chip R
06-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Chip:

The big signal doesn't really do anything for the Reds...The Reds are not THE Team in Iowa and the big signal doesn't do anything for the team when it comes to revenue because you only count revenue in a logical area of impact.

With that in mind, small market radio stations like in Olive Hill, KY...Belpre, OH...Hillsboro, OH all program sports programs because they are a low cost, high profit product...some don't even need to use board ops at the station on game days as they can be automated...it is an easy sell for the sales force because the tradition of the product is again a low investment way to get businesses that would not usually advertise on radio to do just that.

IN several small market radio stations I worked in over the years the biggest money makers we had were Pro baseball, high school football and auto sports. The reason they were so profitable was because of the number of commercial spot availabilities...so, the people that were buying on these programs were getting a real high frequency of spots to a very concentrated audience that would be interested in their product because they supported the team that the listener is a fan of.

Clear Channel is breaking off some of their properties and with that in mind some staff will be shifting from here to there and back again...new ownership groups known product to sell to generate revenue....and at the end of the day, it's all about revenue.

The only format I ever worked in that made more of a ROI than sports programming was Christian Teaching-Talk...not the most popular format but it has a very loyal audience who support the advertisers who underwrite their favorite programming...in addition to the commercials, pretty much every teaching program pays a fee to the radio station for the air time...the station I programmed in particular broadcast from sun up to sun down...on average we were on air for 14 hours a day because the sun up and sun down time change year round. On average we only had a 5% under sell...meaning of all the available inventory (commercial slots) only 5% of them were unused..so, out of 14 hours a day of broadcasting...13.3 hours were delivering a commercial message and producing income.

Just saying regardless of the station signal size...with the right product every station is a cash cow and if they are not it is because the ownership, management or programming department are programming to hunches, personal preferences or just not very good at what they do.

For a team to buy a station they open up a year round source of revenue and marketing...some day I may get back in radio and if I buy a station it will either be Sports or Christian talk/teaching...those two stations offer the best scenario for financial success.

I'm only saying the signal strength is an asset for those who live far away or over a 150 mile radius away and don't have XM and/or internet access. If I still lived in Iowa, I would probably have Extra Innings or MLB Radio or even XM to listen to the Reds. It's nice if I'm in northern Ohio, southern KY, Indiana or eastern Illinois during the day and I may be able to listen to the Reds. Otherwise, it doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of difference.

Since MLB is in bed with XM and they have their own radio service over the web, I would think it would behoove them to not have a lot of small stations carry the games. If a lower powered station than WLW locally carried the games and I lived in Athens and WATH didn't carry the games any more, I'd be forced to either go without or get Extra Innings, XM or MLB Radio.

MartyFan
06-20-2007, 06:45 AM
I'm only saying the signal strength is an asset for those who live far away or over a 150 mile radius away and don't have XM and/or internet access. If I still lived in Iowa, I would probably have Extra Innings or MLB Radio or even XM to listen to the Reds. It's nice if I'm in northern Ohio, southern KY, Indiana or eastern Illinois during the day and I may be able to listen to the Reds. Otherwise, it doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of difference.

Since MLB is in bed with XM and they have their own radio service over the web, I would think it would behoove them to not have a lot of small stations carry the games. If a lower powered station than WLW locally carried the games and I lived in Athens and WATH didn't carry the games any more, I'd be forced to either go without or get Extra Innings, XM or MLB Radio.

Chip:

I get what you are saying and I guess I am of the thought that the BIG SIGNAL is less of an asset to them than several small stations because of the exact same reasons you mention as well as the ability to open up more revenue.

I get that people in Iowa may be forced to check out XM, MLB Radio and/or Extra Innings...I don't know how old you are but when I was a kid in the 70's those options were not heard of and I can remember checking out the Columbus Citizens-Journal for the box scores from the night before..I know, it wasn't fast, instant or sexy but...that's just how we did it. :)

Hey, also, one reason for the benefits of the Reds owning their own station and increasing their affiliates...Clear Channel is realizing they cannot successfully operate the vast number of properties they have and they are unloading strategic properties that will more than likely serve only in fringe markets or small markets that do not deliver a high dollar commercial benefit.

WVRedsFan
06-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Chip:

I get what you are saying and I guess I am of the thought that the BIG SIGNAL is less of an asset to them than several small stations because of the exact same reasons you mention as well as the ability to open up more revenue.

I get that people in Iowa may be forced to check out XM, MLB Radio and/or Extra Innings...I don't know how old you are but when I was a kid in the 70's those options were not heard of and I can remember checking out the Columbus Citizens-Journal for the box scores from the night before..I know, it wasn't fast, instant or sexy but...that's just how we did it. :)

Hey, also, one reason for the benefits of the Reds owning their own station and increasing their affiliates...Clear Channel is realizing they cannot successfully operate the vast number of properties they have and they are unloading strategic properties that will more than likely serve only in fringe markets or small markets that do not deliver a high dollar commercial benefit.

I know what chip's getting at and let me give you an example. Over the years, we had several local stations that carried the Reds. None now do because they couldn't recover the cost in advertising to make it a profitable situation. Although you can make a profit on the local high school football team, you simply can't on MLB or the NFL for that matter. The cost of getting the broadcast is staggering and when local advertisers would much rather sponsor Sister Ledbetter's Daily Bible Study or the obituaries from Smathers Funeral Chapel, there's no room for small town MLB radio. simply put, if the Reds go to a smaller station, they will lose fan base. Last night, in a car without XM, I listened to most of the game on WLW. Something I could not have done if the games were on a smaller station since I doubt anyone within 100 miles will ever carry the reds again.

Now, as always, the purpose of the Reds network is to build fan base and keep fans up with what is going on. By going to a smaller station, and without the help of XM, the Reds fan base would exist around Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky.

MartyFan
06-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Deleted the post because somehow it got double posted several hours apart.

MartyFan
06-20-2007, 12:47 PM
I know what chip's getting at and let me give you an example. Over the years, we had several local stations that carried the Reds. None now do because they couldn't recover the cost in advertising to make it a profitable situation. Although you can make a profit on the local high school football team, you simply can't on MLB or the NFL for that matter. The cost of getting the broadcast is staggering and when local advertisers would much rather sponsor Sister Ledbetter's Daily Bible Study or the obituaries from Smathers Funeral Chapel, there's no room for small town MLB radio. simply put, if the Reds go to a smaller station, they will lose fan base. Last night, in a car without XM, I listened to most of the game on WLW. Something I could not have done if the games were on a smaller station since I doubt anyone within 100 miles will ever carry the reds again.

Now, as always, the purpose of the Reds network is to build fan base and keep fans up with what is going on. By going to a smaller station, and without the help of XM, the Reds fan base would exist around Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky.

WVRedsFan...I get that there is an up front investment to carry the Reds...but it is based on market size and I can give you an example of a small town radio station that has carried the Reds since 1963 that is making a KILLING with it in one of the most economically challenged areas of the entire country. By small town I mean population 1200 and it is in the hills of Eastern Kentucky. Every day they do read the obits on the 3KW station.

So simply having it is not going to make money, the local affiliate still needs to get out there and sell it...promote it and run the schedule regularly.

If the Reds were to buy their own station and lets say it isn't going to be WLW...they would probably be very aggressive in their offering of programming to affiliates...which would more than likely mean reduction of up front money and also an improvement on affiliate tools to help them make money with it.

Local sports are indeed a Cash Cow as are the Obits in these tiny markets and even a few Bible Studies here and there...but so is professional sports IF the station knows what they are doing with it.

LoganBuck
06-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Marty unless you live in the sticks you have no idea how many Reds fans you will be cutting off with this. 700 WLW carrying the Reds is an institution in Western Ohio. Granted all of us in the sticks don't attend as many games as those inside I275, but I can assure you they still attend games and buy merchandise. There isn't anyway to pick up a decent signal on AM after dark. I can't pick up Ohio State games broadcast on transmitters 15 miles away across flat terrain after dark.

I don't want to buy XM when I can currently get it free.

MartyFan
06-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Marty unless you live in the sticks you have no idea how many Reds fans you will be cutting off with this. 700 WLW carrying the Reds is an institution in Western Ohio. Granted all of us in the sticks don't attend as many games as those inside I275, but I can assure you they still attend games and buy merchandise. There isn't anyway to pick up a decent signal on AM after dark. I can't pick up Ohio State games broadcast on transmitters 15 miles away across flat terrain after dark.

I don't want to buy XM when I can currently get it free.

I have lived in the sticks...worked at radio stations in the sticks and STILL believe that the Reds buying their own station and moving away from WLW would be the best business decision they could make for the future of the team and controlling their product.

WVRedsFan
06-20-2007, 02:33 PM
I have lived in the sticks...worked at radio stations in the sticks and STILL believe that the Reds buying their own station and moving away from WLW would be the best business decision they could make for the future of the team and controlling their product.

I totally agree that it is the best decision for the Reds. It's not the best decisions for the legions of fans who live in rural areas in Kentucky, Indiana, WV and VA.

I have XM, so I don't really care one way or the other.

KittyDuran
06-20-2007, 03:58 PM
From the Reds Media Guide...I would listen to a local station in Hazard, KY to get the Reds when I went to HS in SE KY because WLW couldn't get through the mountains - now the closest (if I still lived there would be Middlesboro) but Hyden (where my grandparents lived) would be out of luck.

CINCINNATI REDS MEDIA GUIDE
2007 Radio On Radio Affiliates
Market Station Freq.
OHIO (18)
Athens WATH-AM 970
Canton WTIG-AM 990
Celina WKKI-FM 94.3
Chillicothe WBEX-AM 1490
Cincinnati WLW-AM 700
Columbus WTPG-AM 1230
Dayton WONE-AM 980
Findlay WBVI-FM 96.7
Hillsboro WSRW-AM 1590
Ironton WIRO-AM 1230
Lima WIMA-AM 1150
Logan WLGN-AM 1510
Marietta WMOA-AM 1490
Middleport WMPO-AM 1390
Portsmouth WNXT-AM 1260
Springfield WIZE-AM 1340
Washington CH WCHO-AM 1250
Zanesville WHIZ-AM 1240

INDIANA (8)
Batesville WRBI-FM 103.9
Indianapolis WNDE-AM 1260
Madison WXGO-AM 1270
Muncie WXFN-AM 1340
Portland WPGW-AM 1440
WPGW-FM 100.9
Sullivan WNDI-FM 95.3
Washington WAMW-FM 107.9

KENTUCKY (14)
Columbia WAIN-AM 1270
Corbin WCTT-AM 680
Cynthiana WCYN-AM 1400
Grayson WUGO-FM 102.3
Lexington WXRA-AM 1580
London WFTG-AM 1400
Louisville WKRD-AM 790
Martin WMDJ-FM 100.1
Maysville WFTM-AM 1240
Middlesboro WFXY-AM 1490
Paintsville WKYH-AM 600
Pikesville WLSI-AM 900
Somerset WSFC-AM 1240
Whitesburg WTCW-AM 920

MISSISSIPPI (1)
Tupelo WKMQ-AM 1060

VIRGINIA (1)
Gate City WGAT-AM 1050

WEST VIRGINIA (4)
Charleston WCHS-AM 580
Huntington WVHU-AM 800
Logan WVOW-FM 101.9
Parkersburg WHNK-AM 1450

And historically the flagship stations before 700 WLW were (it looks like) low power stations (I know WSAI was/is):

CINCINNATI REDS MEDIA GUIDE
Year Radio Announcers TV Cable Announcers
1955 WSAI Waite Hoyt, Jack Moran WCPO - 9 - Waite Hoyt
1956 WSAI Waite Hoyt, Jack Moran WLWT - 5 - George Bryson, Mark Scott
1957 WKRC Waite Hoyt, Jack Moran WLWT - 5 - George Bryson
1958 WKRC Waite Hoyt, Jack Moran WLWT - 5 - George Bryson, Frank McCormick
1959 WKRC Waite Hoyt, Jack Moran WLWT - 5 - George Bryson, Frank McCormick
1960 WKRC Waite Hoyt, Jack Moran WLWT - 5 - George Bryson, Frank McCormick
1961 WKRC Waite Hoyt, Jack Moran WLWT - 5 - Ed Kennedy, Frank McCormick
1962 WKRC Waite Hoyt, Gene Kelly WLWT - 5 - Ed Kennedy, Frank McCormick
1963 WKRC Waite Hoyt, Gene Kelly WLWT - 5 - Ed Kennedy, Frank McCormick
1964 WCKY Waite Hoyt, Claude Sullivan WLWT - 5 - Ed Kennedy, Frank McCormick
1965 WCKY Waite Hoyt, Claude Sullivan WLWT - 5 - Ed Kennedy, Frank McCormick
1966 WCKY Claude Sullivan, Jim McIntyre WLWT - 5 - Ed Kennedy, Frank McCormick
1967 WCKY Claude Sullivan, Jim McIntyre, WLWT - 5 - Ed Kennedy, Frank McCormick Joe Nuxhall
1968 WCKY Jim McIntyre, Joe Nuxhall WLWT - 5 - Ed Kennedy, Frank McCormick

In 1969 (right before the BRM) the flagship station becomes 700 WLW. So before then (for those that are older) where did you listen to the Reds? Couldn't be WLW but probably a local station.

MartyFan
06-20-2007, 05:51 PM
I guess what I am saying is that with 700 WLW out of the picture...Smaller market stations would be BETTER able to pick up the reds...and yes, I am talking about the legions of fans in rural Kentucky, West Virginia, Indiana and Virginia.

While the coverage of the flagship would go down the number of affiliates would go up to fill most of those pockets...undoubtedly some would be out of luck for a local affiliate but then there is MLB.com and also XM Radio...so it is available if they want it.

With the added revenues created for the team they can put a better product on the field and also control their image A LOT more than they currently can...which I imagine would also help them gain more affiliates and also get in touch with the fans to a further degree and in turn sell more merchandise which again boost the bottom line.

what is good for the organization at this point is good for the fans...we have an owner who wants to get back to the BRM environment and he has come from an organization that is doing very well being creative and bringing fans in the gate...and Cards fans are PASSIONATE about their team, not just now but for the last 10 years...obviously every franchise has their die hard: live another da, fans but the pull of the team has become better.

Heath
06-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Kitty - i think WSAI was on 1530 at the time, and 1530 still has a pretty good signal.

IMO - and this is IDLE speculation. I would not be surprised to see WLW be sold from Clear Channel. CC is in so much of a world of hurt that assets are going to be sold.

dabvu2498
06-21-2007, 08:12 AM
In 1969 (right before the BRM) the flagship station becomes 700 WLW. So before then (for those that are older) where did you listen to the Reds? Couldn't be WLW but probably a local station.

I asked my dad this last night. WCKY was a 50,000 watt station and could be heard where he grew up (near London, KY). Before that, it was local affiliates and he said he believed there was one in London from the mid 50's on.

WVRedsFan
06-21-2007, 08:48 AM

WCKY at night. 50K station came and went, but it was always there. Back in those days we had three stations with the Reds in the local market. WJLS in Beckley was good for day games as was WCHS in Charleston. These days, WCHS uses a low-watt sister station for day games and WJLS no longer carries the games. WJLS no longer could afford to carry the Reds so they tried a FM station for awhile and they couldn't get sponsors.

KittyDuran
06-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Kitty - i think WSAI was on 1530 at the time, and 1530 still has a pretty good signal.

IMO - and this is IDLE speculation. I would not be surprised to see WLW be sold from Clear Channel. CC is in so much of a world of hurt that assets are going to be sold.The old WSAI (top 40 station) was on 1360 and went to half power after 6:30pm for those of us outside the I-275 loop. "Thirteen sixty... WSAI"!

KittyDuran
06-21-2007, 11:21 AM
WCKY at night. 50K station came and went, but it was always there. Back in those days we had three stations with the Reds in the local market. WJLS in Beckley was good for day games as was WCHS in Charleston. These days, WCHS uses a low-watt sister station for day games and WJLS no longer carries the games. WJLS no longer could afford to carry the Reds so they tried a FM station for awhile and they couldn't get sponsors.So that takes care of '64-'68 for the big 50K watt stations... before that (from what I know) with WSAI (at least in the 1960s) and WKRC were lower and local stations had to pick up the signal.

Sorry about the rambling... what I'm trying to say is that the stations carrying the Reds radio broadcasts have shrunk so more people have to rely on WLW for free broadcasts.

KittyDuran
06-21-2007, 11:23 AM

IMO - and this is IDLE speculation. I would not be surprised to see WLW be sold from Clear Channel. CC is in so much of a world of hurt that assets are going to be sold.Sorry, I read this all wrong... you're probably right... I only knew the old WSAI in the 1960s... :redface:

KittyDuran
06-21-2007, 11:26 AM

IMO - and this is IDLE speculation. I would not be surprised to see WLW be sold from Clear Channel. CC is in so much of a world of hurt that assets are going to be sold.I HATE musical chairs of radio! :thumbdown

One of the oldest radio stations in the city, this was WSAI's original frequency. It would be bought by WLW's owners, Crosley Broadcasting Corporation, because WSAI's original transmitter site in Mason, Ohio was seen as an ideal site for WLW's new 50,000 transmitter (and later 500,000 watt in the mid 30's). WLW kept WSAI as a locally-oriented sister station, while WLW - with programs from NBC Radio and the Mutual Broadcasting System - aimed for the whole region. This would continue well into the late 1940's, when Crosley was forced by FCC regulations into selling off WSAI. Like many AM stations of their era, WSAI was soon directed into playing popular music, which soon segued into a Top 40 format.

WSAI featured Cincinnati's largest radio news staff headed by National Broadcasters Hall Of Fame inductee Rod Williams who won numerous awards including a commendation from the Ohio General Assembly for his combat reporting in Vietnam.

The station ended up becoming Cincinnati's AM Top 40 powerhouse during the 1950's and 1960's, headed by personalities like Jim Scott, Gary Allyn, Steve Kirk (later of WING, Dayton) and Ron "King B" Britain (later of WCFL Chicago). WSAI's long run with this format lasted until 1978 when they switched to country music.

Chip R
06-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Sorry about the rambling... what I'm trying to say is that the stations carrying the Reds radio broadcasts have shrunk so more people have to rely on WLW for free broadcasts.

Yeah. I think back in the days before and in the infancy of TV games, teams had a lot of smaller radio stations carry their games. The Cardinals were very big in the south and not just because of KMOX. I remember I grew up listening to Cardinals games on a FM station in a slightly bigger town than the one we lived in. I could listen to the Royals on another FM station in the area. I'm guessing that FM stations carrying MLB that aren't in the city of that team are now few and far between.

MartyFan
06-21-2007, 02:19 PM
So that takes care of '64-'68 for the big 50K watt stations... before that (from what I know) with WSAI (at least in the 1960s) and WKRC were lower and local stations had to pick up the signal.

And that is why it is a good news for the Reds and most Reds Fans.

As for WLW being sold off by CC? It would totally contradict their direction right now.

When Jacor and then CC began the build of the empire they purchased small market radio stations and then leveraged them to in crease the cash flow to then be able to buy the big sticks (I know WLW is a big signal and was one of Jacors first properties...but around the nation this is what they did)

As long as Cincinnati stays in the top 50 media markets CC is not going to sell it until they get bought out by a new media giant...the commercial time is way to valuable and it is too cheap to run because the station has to be paid for or very close...it's a cash cow on its own and there are too many people who are willing to buy the smaller market stations to get in the game.

BTW, the only thing I love talking about more than baseball is radio...I am a junkie...spent nearly 17 years of my life in radio before going full time into comedy in 2002...so, I appreciate the conversation and know most of this stuff is just thinking out loud but it is really fun to look at how the team could potentially benefit by having their own station and network...I also think that overall this would benefit the fans too.

Yachtzee
06-21-2007, 02:43 PM
If CC did sell off WLW, I wonder how that would impact WLW on XM. I do like being able to listen to the pre-game stuff on XM (post-game, not as much).

Chip R
06-21-2007, 02:44 PM
MartyFan, does it cost more to run a 50K watt station than it does a smaller one? All other things being equal.

MartyFan
06-21-2007, 02:47 PM
MartyFan, does it cost more to run a 50K watt station than it does a smaller one? All other things being equal.

No.

[EDIT]

But the initial investment of buying a 50,000W station is where you take the hit.

Yachtzee
06-21-2007, 03:22 PM

Are you suggesting the Reds buy WLW so it could become "The Big RED One?"

MartyFan
06-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Are you suggesting the Reds buy WLW so it could become "The Big RED One?"

In the late 90's CC was throwing around the idea of buying the Reds...As for the Reds buying WLW...Could be but I am more inclined to think that CC is going to hold onto that signal..it is a cash cow.

On a side note I guess Gary Burbank is retiring at the end of this year...Truly a great talent...not much of that left in radio.