PDA

View Full Version : Griffey Helps Out Hamilton

GAC
06-17-2007, 08:03 AM
I thought this was an interesting tidbit from over on the Reds website....

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070616&content_id=2030185&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Rookie center fielder Josh Hamilton has already made his fair share of miraculous throws from the outfield this season. On Saturday, Hamilton said that on some plays, he gets a little help.

Sometimes, when a ball is hit towards Hamilton, he even hears a voice telling him how to play the ball.

But, instead of divine providence, Hamilton's helpful hints typically come from his left, via right fielder Ken Griffey, Jr.

"When the ball is hit, a lot of balls, my first break will be back, and [Griffey] will be screaming, 'In!' Or, if I move in, he'll be screaming, 'Back!' Hamilton said. "He just, he's there. I hear that voice." Hamilton says he trusts Griffey's immediate reads on fly balls because the 10-time Gold Glove winner has proven himself one of the best at judging where a fly ball will end up.
"I don't know all the players and how they hit the ball, but he knows what's going on," Hamilton said. "The first step is critical, and he's there to help out.
"He always seems to float across the field."
While Griffey has been able to help Hamilton adjust to Major League fly balls, there is one area of covering center field at Great American Ball Park that Hamilton must face on his own. "The days are getting longer," Hamilton said. "Until about the third inning, especially in left-center field, the sun is right in your eyes. [Griffey] can't really help me with that."

----------

I'm just glad it's Jr's voice and not Farney's! :lol:

icehole3
06-17-2007, 09:06 AM
another reason to keep Jr. since his move to RF, Im all for keeping Jr until he retires.

Big Klu
06-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Griffey still has the instincts to play CF--he just doesn't have the legs anymore.

"The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

westofyou
06-17-2007, 10:25 AM
That's great for Josh, now if he could return the favor RF would be easier for Junior.

GAC
06-17-2007, 11:56 AM
That's great for Josh, now if he could return the favor RF would be easier for Junior.

:lol:

Like Big Klu said.... "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." I've been to two games over the last week. I sat on the field level/1st base line out towards RF, and the other night out in the Moondeck. Watching Jr chase after balls pains me. The poor guy still has the heart... just not the legs anymore.

westofyou
06-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Does this make Griffey Hamilton's "Farney"?

KronoRed
06-17-2007, 12:59 PM

JR is in Hamilton's head? :help:

Big Klu
06-17-2007, 08:29 PM

Nah, he's more like Hamilton's "Obi-Wan". :starwars: