PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather have?

Matt700wlw
06-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Reasons would be fine, too...

Jaycint
06-17-2007, 01:55 PM
I'd take Hamilton and A-Gonz based on the following:

It is starting to look more and more like Felipe's '05 was more the exception than the rule on the offensive side of the equation. Also, A-Gonz's defense may have been over hyped coming in here but it is still substantially better than Felipe's D at SS imo.

Hamilton v. Kearns is maybe a little murkier at this point in time but I think I would go with Hamilton's higher ceiling for whatever that may be worth. I think he brings a better overall skill set to the table than Kearns. No numbers to back that up, just my personal feeling. Outstanding arm, maybe not as fundamentally sound in the outfield as Kearns. I guess one way to phrase it is Hamilton tends to make the more spectacular play whereas with Kearns he is very solid if not spectacular and you know what you'll get from him in the field on a daily basis. From the offensive side, if both reached full potential I think Hamilton would be a far better player, again, nothing to back that up, just my gut instinct.

KronoRed
06-17-2007, 01:55 PM
I'll take Kearns Hamilton and Phillips at SS.

What I do not want is Magic and Bray

:D

RedEye
06-17-2007, 02:20 PM
I want Hamilton in the OF, Phillips at SS, and some better players in return for Kearns and Lopez.

Marc D
06-17-2007, 02:37 PM
I know Hamilton is getting all the love now but overall its pretty much a push.

2005 looks like it was the high water mark for FeLo but Gonzalez isn't what he was billed to be defensively and will come crashing back to earth with the bat. Seems they both are just meh and Gonzo is older and more expensive. If feLo was still here he could be at 2B with BP at SS and what have you really lost? AG's career year so far, big whoop.

AK was once the can't miss, wunderkid, dripping natural talent player of the future too. Both give you above average defense but CF is more important so Hamilton looks to have the advantage there. Thing with Hamilton is that for all his upside, he is always one ever so small slip up away from being gone forever.

All in all I'd take Hamilton and Gonzo but its not the landslide it looks at first glance. Also, I hope this isn't a way of trying to justify The Trade. FeLO and AK were not traded for Gonzo and JH.

The_jbh
06-17-2007, 06:53 PM
honestly we could use a Right handed bat like Kearns...

I would have really liked a RF Kearns CF Hamilton LF Griffey 1B Dunn SS Phillips

2B FLO
SS Phillips
LF Griffey
RF Kearns
LF Dunn
3B Encarnacion
CF Hamilton
C Ross

I think thats a sick sick offense.

If you trade just FLO for say.. Bray and Thompson and insert Gonzo at SS

2B Phillips
CF Hamilton
LF Griffey
RF Kearns
1B Dunn
3B Encarnacion
SS Gonzo
C Ross

thats still a really good offensive squad and an above average defense squad.

IMO that trade set us back 2 years... I think Kearns was a guy we needed to keep due to his defensive prowess...

camisadelgolf
06-17-2007, 09:05 PM
I'd rather have Hamilton and Gonzalez for financial reasons.

KoryMac5
06-17-2007, 09:09 PM
I want Harris at 2nd, Phillips at SS, and Hamilton in CF.

RedEye
06-17-2007, 09:37 PM
I want Harris at 2nd, Phillips at SS, and Hamilton in CF.

Me too. I can't believe we let Harris go like that. So stupid... if he were here hitting the way he is now, The Trade might not look quite so abysmal.

Unassisted
06-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Payroll flexibility is useful when the club is in rebuilding mode. The new guys provide the club with more of that than the old guys did.

flyer85
06-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Payroll flexibility is useful when the club is in rebuilding mode. Wayne did wonders with it in the offseason.

Unassisted
06-18-2007, 12:04 AM
Wayne did wonders with it in the offseason.Even if you don't like what he does with it, you have to admit that it's a big excuse for him to hide behind if he doesn't have it. ;)

toledodan
06-18-2007, 06:56 AM
Me too. I can't believe we let Harris go like that. So stupid... if he were here hitting the way he is now, The Trade might not look quite so abysmal.

unfortunate for us we had no place for him to play. he never showed enough(granted little chance)to move phillips to short to give him a shot at second. fortunate for harris tampa was a perfect fit for him to get that chance.

edabbs44
06-18-2007, 07:13 AM
I don't think anyone really thought that the departure of AK and Lopez was wrong. It was the return that WK got for them. The question should be: AK and Lopez or Bray and Maj?

Are we sure that if AK was here, Hamilton wouldn't be?

RedsBaron
06-18-2007, 07:31 AM
I don't think anyone really thought that the departure of AK and Lopez was wrong. It was the return that WK got for them. The question should be: AK and Lopez or Bray and Maj?

Exactly. The Reds gave Kearns and Lopez away.

bucksfan2
06-18-2007, 09:36 AM

Are we sure that if AK was here, Hamilton wouldn't be?

The biggest problem was value. I was a big fan of Lopez and thought his offensive game was very impressive. He may be one of the most under rated baserunners in the game today. Kearns I was not impressed with. Too many people thought he was the HS legond in Lexington or the Rookie who showed so much promise and didn't look at what he was actually becoming. He has turned himself into a dime a dozen outfielder whereas you can replace him with a cheaper minor leaguer or FA who won't cost as much and still produce around the same level.

I think Bray still has quite a bit of upside/potential. I always found it ironic that the reds have been rehabing his broken index finger instead of just sitting him down for 6-8 weeks in hopes that it heals. I can argue with the Maj acquisition because up until he played for the reds he had been impressive. Don't forget Thompson. The guy is a little old but he looks like he could be a promising prospect.

deltachi8
06-18-2007, 10:21 AM
I want Hamilton in the OF, Phillips at SS, and some better players in return for Kearns and Lopez.

Bingo, my thoughts exactly.

pedro
06-18-2007, 01:16 PM
The biggest problem was value. I was a big fan of Lopez and thought his offensive game was very impressive. He may be one of the most under rated baserunners in the game today. Kearns I was not impressed with. Too many people thought he was the HS legond in Lexington or the Rookie who showed so much promise and didn't look at what he was actually becoming. He has turned himself into a dime a dozen outfielder whereas you can replace him with a cheaper minor leaguer or FA who won't cost as much and still produce around the same level.

I think Bray still has quite a bit of upside/potential. I always found it ironic that the reds have been rehabing his broken index finger instead of just sitting him down for 6-8 weeks in hopes that it heals. I can argue with the Maj acquisition because up until he played for the reds he had been impressive. Don't forget Thompson. The guy is a little old but he looks like he could be a promising prospect.

Lopez isn't stealing bases this year and he isn't getting on base. My opinion is that he had virtually no trade value as a SS. No one was going to give the Reds anything substantial for a guy who obviously needed to be moved from SS, hadn't yet proven he could play 2B, and really was never going to hit well enough to play anywhere else. This year he has done nothing but prove the Reds traded the right guy.

Kearns, who also isn't having a very good year (mostly b/c he can't hit RH pitching) had a lot more value at the time than Lopez and is IMO going to have a better career than Lopez over the long haul. Regardless, he really needs to step his game up or he's going to find himself a platoon player pretty quickly.

flyer85
06-18-2007, 01:19 PM
It is nice to know the nats have a better record.

pedro
06-18-2007, 01:20 PM
It is nice to know the nats have a better record.

I doubt that remains true at the end of the season but it is sobering nonetheless.

KronoRed
06-18-2007, 01:22 PM
unfortunate for us we had no place for him to play. he never showed enough(granted little chance)to move phillips to short to give him a shot at second. fortunate for harris tampa was a perfect fit for him to get that chance.
We didn't need to find him a starting spot, just a bench roll and a spot on the 40 for him, but the Reds decided that a backup IF with youth on his side was less use then a 3rd catcher and the immortal Juan Castro

Reds1
06-18-2007, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE=Jaycint;1386974]
Also, A-Gonz's defense may have been over hyped coming in here but it is still substantially better than Felipe's D at SS imo.[QUOTE]

Overhyped on defense, but underhyped on offense. Gonz this year is better at off and def and Kearns is what he is. He's a solid player, but I don't see him improving. Hamilton could become a star.

Rojo
06-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Talk about push-polling.