PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton not hustling?

cincrazy
06-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Chris Welsh just said on the broadcast that Josh Hamilton hit a groundball during last night's game and didn't run it out, prompting a veteran to get in his face and tell him that's not how things are done around here.

I was at work last night and missed the game, so could anyone else help me out and let me know what he's referring to? I'm sure the camera's didn't catch Hamilton getting lectured, but I'm just curious as to whether it was truly a lack of hustle on Hamilton's part.

Also, Welsh said that no one on the coaching staff said a word to Hamilton about the incident after he returned to the dugout. I'm not so sure that I agree with that line of thinking, if it is indeed true.

RBA
06-17-2007, 02:55 PM
And that veteran was none other than Ken Griffey Jr. ;)

Matt700wlw
06-17-2007, 02:58 PM
And that veteran was none other than Ken Griffey Jr. ;)

Good for Junior.

I remember that play last night....Josh almost walked to first base....

RBA
06-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Good for Junior.

I remember that play last night....Josh almost walked to first base....

I was kidding. I don't know who it was.

Matt700wlw
06-17-2007, 03:00 PM
I was kidding. I don't know who it was.

Whomever it was, good for them...need to keep Josh focused

BCubb2003
06-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Then he got in Stanton's face and yelled at him for running out the ground ball.

penantboundreds
06-17-2007, 03:09 PM
it was stanton who yelled at hamilton.

guttle11
06-17-2007, 03:20 PM
it was stanton who yelled at hamilton.

Man, that's hilariously awesome.

Razor Shines
06-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Chris Welsh just said on the broadcast that Josh Hamilton hit a groundball during last night's game and didn't run it out, prompting a veteran to get in his face and tell him that's not how things are done around here.

I was at work last night and missed the game, so could anyone else help me out and let me know what he's referring to? I'm sure the camera's didn't catch Hamilton getting lectured, but I'm just curious as to whether it was truly a lack of hustle on Hamilton's part.

Also, Welsh said that no one on the coaching staff said a word to Hamilton about the incident after he returned to the dugout. I'm not so sure that I agree with that line of thinking, if it is indeed true.

Well I heard Welsh say that Hamilton did not run but that's not true. He did pause for a second (thinking it was foul) but immediately took off running after realizing it had a chance to stay fair. Yeah he should have been running right away and since he's a rookie someone should have gotten in his face, but to say that he didn't run is somewhat of a mis-characterization of what actually happened.

jojo
06-17-2007, 03:44 PM
I've never seen Hamilton dog it to first....I'm sure if someone got in his face afterward it was to warn him that young players aren't allowed to misjudge foul balls around here...

wheels
06-17-2007, 03:49 PM
These things always come up during the bad seasons.

Is it because we're all a little angry, or is it because the players are frustrated?

I think it's a little of both.

It's hot, the team stinks and we're all getting fed up with it, players included.

Heath
06-17-2007, 03:51 PM
I think it is extremely petty.

KronoRed
06-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Man, that's hilariously awesome.

Stanton is a BALLPLAYER, he knows what he's talking about :cool:

cincrazy
06-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I had a hard time believing Hamilton wasn't hustling, and I knew if it was put in the proper context, it probably wouldn't look so bad.

KoryMac5
06-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Well maybe next time Stanton gives up two or three runs in two thirds of an inning Hamilton should get in his face.

MikeS21
06-17-2007, 11:50 PM
Well I heard Welsh say that Hamilton did not run but that's not true. He did pause for a second (thinking it was foul) but immediately took off running after realizing it had a chance to stay fair. Yeah he should have been running right away and since he's a rookie someone should have gotten in his face, but to say that he didn't run is somewhat of a mis-characterization of what actually happened.
I saw the play in question and this is EXACTLY what happened. To me, it was an obvious misjudgement and Josh took off as soon as he realized his mistake. He should have been talked to, most definitely. But this was not at all like EE's pop-up earlier this season. EE didn't run - period - even after he realized his mistake.

And, as wheels said, had things been going better for the team, this episode would have never been mentioned.

flyer85
06-17-2007, 11:55 PM
It was pretty much the same thing that happened to EE, he didn't pick it up right away and just stood there.

Obviously it was handled differently, there is no doubt that Jerry plays favorites and you can bet it was noticed.

bucksfan2
06-18-2007, 10:47 AM
It was pretty much the same thing that happened to EE, he didn't pick it up right away and just stood there.

Obviously it was handled differently, there is no doubt that Jerry plays favorites and you can bet it was noticed.

Jerry doesn't play favorites. That is just insane. He is the most impartial manager this side of Bob Boone when Arron was on his team.