PDA

View Full Version : Joey Votto

neelm
06-17-2007, 04:55 PM
A few questions about Bats 1B/LF Joey Votto.

1) Should he be up with the Reds now?

2) Who would you rather have at 1st base right now, Votto or Hatteberg?

3) Are the Reds wasting their time trying him at LF?

4) What does Votto need to work on to become a better baseball player?

5) When is the latest date that you feel he will be with the Reds?

What do you all think?

Grande Donkey
06-17-2007, 05:20 PM
A few questions about Bats 1B/LF Joey Votto.

1) Should he be up with the Reds now? yes

2) Who would you rather have at 1st base right now, Votto or Hatteberg? Votto

3) Are the Reds wasting their time trying him at LF? Kind of

4) What does Votto need to work on to become a better baseball player? "The little things"

5) When is the latest date that you feel he will be with the Reds? July 23.

What do you all think?:mooner:

icehole3
06-17-2007, 06:06 PM
I think once Dunn is traded Votto will play LF, there I said it.

reds44
06-17-2007, 08:29 PM
I think once Dunn is traded Votto will play LF, there I said it.
I agree. 4 days in a row in LF is more then trying to make him more versatile. When Dunn is traded, Votto will be in LF.

Although I will say this, I would rather us trade Griffey and keep Dunn then the other way around,

Prf15
06-17-2007, 08:46 PM
I think this is Wayne hiding under a username to see if he should call him up.:mooner:

Chi-Town Red
06-17-2007, 09:08 PM
I think once Dunn is traded Votto will play LF, there I said it. thats a no brainer

flyer85
06-17-2007, 09:38 PM
I thought a goal was to upgrade the defense.

mth123
06-17-2007, 09:49 PM
I thought a goal was to upgrade the defense.

Looks to me like the goal is to be low budget. Votto in LF and exercise Hatte's option for $1.85 Million. Dunn gets moved for the best "makes the minimum" return possible,

Aronchis
06-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Looks to me like the goal is to be low budget. Votto in LF and exercise Hatte's option for $1.85 Million. Dunn gets moved for the best "makes the minimum" return possible,

You could do that by getting rid of Hatt.

BearcatShane
06-17-2007, 10:24 PM
I think they're going to trade Dunn this week, call up Votto, play him in left for a few weeks until they can work out a trade for Hatteberg. They're just playing him there now so when he has to play left for the Reds for a few weeks he doesn't look totally lost. This is not for the long term.

mth123
06-17-2007, 10:25 PM
You could do that by getting rid of Hatt.

If you're trying to be cheap you keep Hatte and Votto and let Dunn go. Votto goes to LF to replace Dunn because it saves more money than staying at 1B and replacing Hatte.

BearcatShane
06-17-2007, 10:27 PM
1) Should he be up with the Reds now? Yes

2) Who would you rather have at 1st base right now, Votto or Hatteberg? Votto, we need to start planning for next year.

3) Are the Reds wasting their time trying him at LF? Sort of.

4) What does Votto need to work on to become a better baseball player? Defence at FIRST.

5) When is the latest date that you feel he will be with the Reds? June 21st.

nmculbreth
06-17-2007, 11:03 PM
1) Should he be up with the Reds now? No. While I believe Votto is ready to play at the big league level, it doesn't make much sense to bring him up until you can give him significant playing time. I'm OK with letting the Reds showcase Hatteburg for the time being and then bringing up Votto when Hatteburg is traded.

2) Who would you rather have at 1st base right now, Votto or Hatteberg? Hatteburg. While I'd rather see Votto playing 1B, it's important to maximize the return on Hatteburg and you can't do that with him riding the pine.

3) Are the Reds wasting their time trying him at LF? Yes.

4) What does Votto need to work on to become a better baseball player? Improve his D at 1B.

5) When is the latest date that you feel he will be with the Reds? Trade deadline.

Aronchis
06-18-2007, 01:04 AM
If you're trying to be cheap you keep Hatte and Votto and let Dunn go. Votto goes to LF to replace Dunn because it saves more money than staying at 1B and replacing Hatte.

Putting Votto at first and then getting a cheaper LF is more likely. We already have inhouse candidates.

reds44
06-18-2007, 01:05 AM
Putting Votto at first and then getting a cheaper LF is more likely. We already have inhouse candidates.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him play LF this year to get ML expierence with the bat, and go back to 1B next year.

I don't see the point in that, but it wouldn't surprise me. I did, however, hear on ESPN tonight during the Yankees game that the Yanks have some interest in Hatteberg.

AmarilloRed
06-18-2007, 01:41 AM
I dont think he will be going to Lf in the short term, unless we get a absolute wonderful trade offer for Adam Dunn. I would be a lot cheaper to put Votto at Lf instead of paying Dunn for his option. I think you have to consider both possibilities.

neelm
06-18-2007, 02:09 AM
Do you think there is a possibility that Votto might get traded?

reds44
06-18-2007, 02:12 AM
Do you think there is a possibility that Votto might get traded?
None.

neelm
06-18-2007, 03:30 AM
Good

KronoRed
06-18-2007, 03:54 AM
1) Should he be up with the Reds now? Yes
2) Who would you rather have at 1st base right now, Votto or Hatteberg? Votto

3) Are the Reds wasting their time trying him at LF? Absoloutly

4) What does Votto need to work on to become a better baseball player? Facing major league pitching

5) When is the latest date that you feel he will be with the Reds? Opening day next year

KronoRed
06-18-2007, 03:55 AM
Putting Votto in left for the major league club would be a foolish short sighted move.

mth123
06-18-2007, 06:41 AM

I think that makes sense too. I actually prefer Dunn in LF and Votto at 1B. But here is the thing. All we've been hearing since last year, when it was fairly evident that with the "take the first pitch" restrictions off, that Votto was a pure hitter that could rake, was that defense at 1B was all that was holding him back. If that is so, what possible explanation could there be for him getting so much time in LF (4 days in a row seems more than an occasional start there)? He's not improving his defense at 1B by playing LF. It seems to me that if he's in the minors to work on his defense at 1B, then he would be playing 1B unless there is some other reason to play LF instead. The only logical reason I can come up with is that he's going to play LF in the majors at least some of the time. It just doesn't make sense to move him off of 1B defensively if that is what he primarily needs to work on.

toledodan
06-18-2007, 07:02 AM
i want votto up here but only if he's playing everyday! i don't have a problem with votto in left field. if dunn can play the outfield i'm convinced anyone with major league talent should be able to unless their out of shape.(see D Young)

GoReds
06-18-2007, 10:17 AM
I think Votto's appearance in the outfield has a direct correlation to Freel's injury. If Freel was available, the Dunn trade could go through and the Reds would still have adequate OF coverage with Griffey, Hamilton, Hopper and Freel. Without Freel, that 3/4 outfield spot isn't covered, hence the Votto hedge in LF.

I expect Dunn to be traded shortly.