PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton being tested for Diabetes?

JaxRed
06-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Did I miss this, I didn't see a thread on it.

"Josh Hamilton is getting blood work to see why he feels tired and is constantly thirsty, according to the AP. Hamilton was sidelined earlier this month by an inflamed digestive system. "I drink water all the time," he said. "I'll get filled up and, 20 minutes later, my mouth is dry. They're doing all kinds of testing. Diabetes runs in my family, so they're looking at that."

Sea Ray
06-17-2007, 10:53 PM
It wouldn't take too long to test his blood sugar. In fact I would have thought they'd have done that at the hospital as a routine. Diabetics test their blood sugar several times a day.

creek14
06-18-2007, 12:18 AM
It wouldn't take too long to test his blood sugar. In fact I would have thought they'd have done that at the hospital as a routine. Diabetics test their blood sugar several times a day.
I would guess they are going to do a multi-hour glucose tolerance test vs a simple blood sugar test.

Joseph
06-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Well let's hope its not anything serious.

creek14
06-18-2007, 10:18 AM
I know it's had to believe when you look at how freaking ugly I look in oneupper's pictures, but I dated a professional hockey player (about a zillion years ago).

Anyway, he was diabetic and was able to play hockey. So while that diagnosis would most likely be a blow to Josh, I have no doubt that he could deal with it. He's showing us every day that he's a pretty strong guy as he works through his addiction problem.

Johnny Footstool
06-18-2007, 11:02 AM
I know it's had to believe when you look at how freaking ugly I look in oneupper's pictures, but I dated a professional hockey player (about a zillion years ago).

8 megapixels aren't flattering to anyone. I think you can see inside each pore on my nose in my photo.

Sea Ray
06-18-2007, 11:06 AM

Good looks have never gone hand in hand with the game of hockey. Too bad we don't have a smilie with a tooth knocked out :D

SunDeck
06-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Diabetes is manageable. No reason why Josh shouldn't be able to continue on with his baseball career if they find he does have diabetes.

Jackie Robinson, Billy Jean King, Bill Gullickson, Joe Frazier, Buster Douglas, Gary Hall- all diabetics.

cumberlandreds
06-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Diabetes is manageable. No reason why Josh shouldn't be able to continue on with his baseball career if they find he does have diabetes.

Jackie Robinson, Billy Jean King, Bill Gullickson, Joe Frazier, Buster Douglas, Gary Hall- all diabetics.

Adam Morrison who played college basketball at Gonzaga managed his diabetes just fine and I think he had type 1 also. If Hamilton does have it,it certainly is manageable and should have good career in spite of it. He will just have to learn different eating habits in oder to manage it the way it should be.

KronoRed
06-18-2007, 12:18 PM
8 megapixels aren't flattering to anyone. I think you can see inside each pore on my nose in my photo.

...I think you can see into some peoples souls :help:

flyer85
06-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Hamilton was not some recreational drug user, he was a hard-core addict who abused himself terribly for a 3 year period. There is likely a price to be paid for the behavior. Like I have continually said about Josh, great story but the Reds better have a plan B for the long term(for numerous reasons).

SunDeck
06-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Hamilton was not some recreational drug user, he was a hard-core addict who abused himself terribly for a 3 year period. There is likely a price to be paid for the behavior. Like I have continually said about Josh, great story but the Reds better have a plan B for the long term(for numerous reasons).

Long term substance abuse can have an affect on the liver, the heart, etc, but I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about this yet.

RedFanAlways1966
06-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Adam Morrison who played college basketball at Gonzaga managed his diabetes just fine and I think he had type 1 also. If Hamilton does have it,it certainly is manageable and should have good career in spite of it. He will just have to learn different eating habits in oder to manage it the way it should be.

Right. It is a "management" thing. Everything is doable if you test regularly and eat right. Makes a lot of other diseases seem hard... if you manage it. A big IF... IF you are willing to do the right thing.

I was found to have diabetes when I was 7-years-old. It is the only life I know. Another "positive side" with having it diagnosed today is the amount of advancement in the management process compared to even 10 years ago. I have had to manage it since 1973 and can testify to how much better the technology has made things these days.

Of course nothing has been determined and I hope there is nothing wrong with Josh. Being tired and being thirsty are tell-tale signs of diabetes though... signs of high blood-sugar (not producing enough insulin to break down the sugar). If he does have it and manages it, it should not cause any problems with his playing baseball.

paulrichjr
06-18-2007, 05:19 PM
My wife has diabetes and while she does manage it fairly well it does make her tired quicker than I think she would be if she didn't have it....especially when it isn't in perfect control. (I don't care who you are you want be in contol 100% of the time)

Having diabetes might reduce some of his abilty so that he is human instead of super-human on the field. Seriously, how good would this guy have been if he had played the last 4 years in the majors?

Dan
06-18-2007, 05:59 PM

Type I diabetes is caused by the body's T-cells destroying the islet cells inside the pancreas. Islet cells are what make insulin. No cells, no insulin. Type I diabetes is not a result of any particular lifestyle.

Matt700wlw
06-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Good luck to him, whatever it may be.