PDA

View Full Version : Loafing from the Past, June 18,1977

cumberlandreds
06-18-2007, 03:03 PM
With all the talk this season about managers taking players out for loafing I saw this. I remember watching this on the old NBC Game of the Week. I was watching at my sisters house with my dad and my brother-in-law. It was funny watching these nearly come to blows. Martin was lucky that Yogi Berra came between them as Jackson probably would have killed him.

New York's Reggie Jackson loafs after a Jim Rice bloop double during a 10-4 loss to Boston and is taken out by manager Billy Martin right after the manager removes starter Mike Torrez. Jackson and Martin nearly come to blows in the dugout as national television cameras watch. Boston connects for 5 homers in the game‚ 2 each by Yaz and Bernie Carbo. Fenway Park sees the largest Saturday afternoon crowd (34‚603) in 20 years.

Sea Ray
06-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Martin was lucky that Yogi Berra came between them as Jackson probably would have killed him.

I remember that game too but I disagree that Jackson would have won a fistacuffs w/ Billy Martin. Reggie had a few lbs on him but I think Reggie would have been embarrassed if they'd actually come to blows in the dugout on national TV. With a guy like Billy Martin you don't judge him by the size of the package.

cumberlandreds
06-18-2007, 06:47 PM
I remember that game too but I disagree that Jackson would have won a fistacuffs w/ Billy Martin. Reggie had a few lbs on him but I think Reggie would have been embarrassed if they'd actually come to blows in the dugout on national TV. With a guy like Billy Martin you don't judge him by the size of the package.

That's true. Martin was the ultimate in scrappy. :)

westofyou
06-18-2007, 06:54 PM
May 15th - Phillies vs. Reds. Reds pitcher Raul Sanchez hits three Phillie batters in a row, the third being 6’9” Gene Conley. In a fit of rage rookie Phillie manager Gene Mauch rushes Sanchez on the mound starting a fight between the two teams. In a “peacekeeper” role Martin gets popped in the face by Conley.

Quote:
“I was holding back Mauch and Conley belted me. But I got Conley too. I had to jump up to hit him. Fighting him is like fighting a two story building.”

Billy Martin.
For his trouble Martin hurt his hand and missed two weeks.

RedFanAlways1966
06-18-2007, 11:06 PM
http://re3.mm-a4.yimg.com/image/2954486559

These two fighting with each other?!? Nah... say it ain't so. :)

Heath
06-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Isn't there some type of docu-drama from ESPN regarding the turbulent, but successful years of the NY Yankees of the late '70's?