PDA

View Full Version : More Rumors to add to the Growing List, including Griffey to Cubs

KoryMac5
06-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Per MLBTradeRumors.com:

The Reds, Rockies, and others have been scouting the Yankees' Double A Trenton affiliate. Joba Chamberlain, Ian Kennedy, and Brett Gardner are probably the most desirable players on that roster. Gotham Baseball has previously connected the Yankees to Brian Fuentes and David Weathers. Another reliever the Yankees like is Chad Bradford, though the O's price may be too high.

There's a Cubs-Reds rumor making the rounds, reportedly one that originated on The Score here in Chicago. Obviously I can't catch all the radio rumors myself, so I rely on listeners to pass these along. Since these rumors often spread like a game of telephone, consider this one dubious until confirmed.

The rumor hitting my inbox repeatedly: the Cubs could send Sean Marshall and Jacque Jones to the Reds for Ken Griffey Jr. Keep in mind, this one isn't even confirmed as a legitimate rumor.

Whether or not this rumor has any legitimacy, let's discuss. In Marshall I see a strong left-handed starter under the team's control through 2011. He's improved his repertoire and should be a cog in the Cubs' rotation for years. In other words, very valuable.

Griffey is in the midst of another resurgence, but is at significant risk of injury at any given moment. There's a chance playing right field reduces that, but I wouldn't bank on it. Griffey makes $12.5MM annually through 2008, plus he'll be owed a $4MM buyout for 2009. When I began writing this I thought Junior's contract was a lot worse. It's really not terrible and would be somewhat offset by Jacque Jones. I can see Griffey approving a trade to Chicago, though he could ask for his contract to be guaranteed through '09.

I can see how one could consider this trade fair. I wouldn't trade Marshall for the risk of Griffey, but it doesn't sound absurd. I still don't see it happening - why would the Cubs take a hit in the rotation to add more offense? The Cubs have a strong rotation and will need Marshall over the next several seasons. It seems more logical for the Cubs to add a reliever.

The JR rumor has not been confirmed nor do I think Krivs would deal to a division rival.

OnBaseMachine
06-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Joba Chamberlain or Ian Kennedy for David Weathers? Sign me up. Hell, I'd throw in Kyle Lohse too. Krivsky is a genius if he can pull off that deal.

mth123
06-18-2007, 10:55 PM
Some sleepers I like on these teams that I'd like to see thrown in somehow.

From the Yankees I like Alan Horne. He's a 24 Y/O AA RH starter. He throws in the 92 to 96 range. Last I looked he had thrown 75.667 IP, 2.50 ERA, 10.47 K/9, 2.50 BB/9, 0.24 HR/9, BABIP .362, FIP 2.25. Not sure why as a NYY prospect he isn't hyped more. I'm guessing its because he's 24 and not 21 or 22. He had TJ surgery in college and was kind of off the map for a while. He seems like the Yankees version of Carlos Fisher. I'd be happy with him for Weathers. (Of course I like Kennedy and Chamberlin too, but I'm not sure its realistic unless Dunn is in the deal and Horne is closer to the majors IMO)

From the Cubs, I've always liked Mike Wuertz and Carlos Marmol, but I like Marshall too.

RedEye
06-18-2007, 11:00 PM
I think I also kind of like Junior for Jones-Marshall. Marshall is a quality young lefty and he would look really good with our trio of Harang-Homer-Arroyo. Jones is garbage, but I think it's worth taking him on if we can get Marshall.

If Wayne can net Marshall, Chamberlain/Kennedy, and Jones for Griffey and Weathers, he will really redeem himself in my eyes (my Eye).

mth123
06-18-2007, 11:01 PM
If Wayne can net Marshall, Chamberlain/Kennedy, and Jones for Griffey and Weathers, he will really redeem himself in my eyes.

Then flip Jones for something else.

RedEye
06-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Then flip Jones for something else.

Even better!

smith288
06-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Jones is a turd. No thanks. I dont think Junior would approve that trade either.

IslandRed
06-18-2007, 11:21 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if that kind of deal happens, although I have no idea if those names are accurate. Over the last few years of deadline deals, teams may give up premium talent or they may take on big money, but rarely will they do both. We may have to kick in a chunk of change -- or, as in the case of Jones, take back a bad but less-expensive contract to offset some of the dollars -- in order to get the player(s) we want.

Mario-Rijo
06-18-2007, 11:28 PM
Count me in for both deals as well. Marshall is one I really like and why wouldn't anyone. Like the comments above he is a quality young LH pitcher who is inexpensive for years to come. The Cubs though don't make this deal IMO.

RedEye
06-18-2007, 11:41 PM
Jones is a turd. No thanks. I dont think Junior would approve that trade either.

Wow. There's some analysis for you. Remember, we would just be taking Jones for the sake of getting Marshall. IMO, taking on a "turd" might be worth the hassle if we can land a player like that.

You are right that Junior probably wouldn't approve the trade... although Chicago could look more like a contender in a few weeks if they play their cards right. Then maybe he would consider it (might be nice to ride off into the sunset playing in Wrigley, right?)

Eric_Davis
06-19-2007, 12:22 AM
I hope the REDS are scouting every team in the world. If we weren't scouting teams, then I'd wonder, but it doesn't mean there's anything in the works.

WVPacman
06-19-2007, 12:39 AM
I really liked what I seen from that texas player I think his name is marlon byrd?? That guy can flat out hit,does anybody know what position he plays. I know this is just talk but I would love to see him in a reds jersey b/c he is a contact hitter.

RedEye
06-19-2007, 12:41 AM
I really liked what I seen from that texas player I think his name is marlon byrd?? That guy can flat out hit,does anybody know what position he plays. I know this is just talk but I would love to see him in a reds jersey b/c he is a contact hitter.

IIRC, Marlon Byrd is a washed-up prospect who used to play for the Phillies. Might be worth acquiring if we don't give up too much, but he wouldn't be first on my list.

WVPacman
06-19-2007, 12:53 AM
IIRC, Marlon Byrd is a washed-up prospect who used to play for the Phillies. Might be worth acquiring if we don't give up too much, but he wouldn't be first on my list.

Oh I did'nt know he was that old so your probably right.

M2
06-19-2007, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't mind taking Jones to get Marshall if his contract was up after this season, but carrying him through 2008 could be painful.

Then again Jacque is an ex-Twin, so Wayne might have some fondness for him.

oneupper
06-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Marlon Byrd = Norris Hopper

Highlifeman21
06-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Marlon Byrd = Norris Hopper

And I'd still rather have Chris Denorfia.

Jaycint
06-19-2007, 10:15 AM
I don't know, I think I would be somewhat underwhelmed if Marshall was the centerpiece of a Junior deal. Looking at his numbers I just don't see anything that screams "Wow I want this guy to be a Red." Maybe I'm missing something the rest of you see that is making me undervalue him.

Benihana
06-19-2007, 10:17 AM
per mlbtradrumors.com

Ken Griffey Jr. to the Cubs for LHP Sean Marshall and OF Jacque Jones.

apparently it was also discussed on Chicago radio station The Score last night. I would love this deal. I'd prefer a RH-hitting outfielder, but I'd pull the trigger in a second simply because of Marshall. He would immediately be our #4 starter, is left handed, has had some major league success, and is signed cheaply through 2011. Without any help from the minors, that would give us a rotation of

Harang
Bailey
Arroyo
Marshall
Belisle

through 2011. That's a pretty good start!

Edit: oops, didn't see the other thread, sorry!

Benihana
06-19-2007, 10:20 AM
I would do both of those deals in a SECOND.

Jr for Marshall and Jones? DONE
Weathers for Kennedy and/or Chamberlain? DONE

Wayne would get an A+ in my book if he could pull off deals like these.

Guacarock
06-19-2007, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't mind taking Jones to get Marshall if his contract was up after this season, but carrying him through 2008 could be painful.

Then again Jacque is an ex-Twin, so Wayne might have some fondness for him.

Jones' contract runs another year -- through the end of 2008. So we'd either have to flip him, get used to the pain, or hope he gets "motivated" with his existing three-year contract drawing to a close.

Red Leader
06-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Yep:

Jacque Dewayne Jones: signed 3-year deal worth 16M thru 2008 season on 12/20/05- + he receives a 4M signing bonus that is payable between January 2006 and January 2008- + he receives salaries of 3M in 2006, 4M in 2007 and 5M in 2008- + the deal includes a limited NO-TRADE clause (among the teams he can be traded to w/out his consent is COL and among the teams he cannot be traded to w/out his consent is PIT)- + 2005 salary: 5M

So we'd be on the hook for $1-2M in 2007 and $5M in 2008 on Jacque Jones. Not sure how I feel about that. Not as bad as I thought his contract was, but he's still overpaid at $5M. Getting Jones and Marshall for ~$6M and losing Griffey and $12M isn't a bad deal if that extra $6M is spent wisely.

BRM
06-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Angels owner Arte Moreno commenting on the "big" trade rumor.

And this year, we were rumored to be involved in trading for a big bat (believed to be Cincinnati Reds outfielder Adam Dunn), but it was going to take two major leaguers and a top prospect. Trading for a guy isn't cheap.

"But we are committed to do whatever we can to win a world championship. We're close, we're very close but we haven't won anything yet."

Guacarock
06-19-2007, 10:34 AM
I would do both of those deals in a SECOND.

Jr for Marshall and Jones? DONE
Weathers for Kennedy and/or Chamberlain? DONE

Wayne would get an A+ in my book if he could pull off deals like these.

My hunch: The Yankees want both Weathers and Hatteberg. I'd still favor swinging a deal for either Kennedy or Chamberlain, but maybe we could get a second "sleeper" prospect along with one of the stud pitchers. I'm kinda partial to switch-hitting C Kyle Anson, hitting .322/.401/.421 with the Charleston RiverDogs (Low A).

Jaycint
06-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Angels owner Arte Moreno commenting on the "big" trade rumor.

That system, along with Dodgers is the one I'd really like to raid in a Dunn deal. Problem is getting Stoneman to come up off a prospect. He hordes that minor league system like Fort Knox.

macro
06-19-2007, 10:36 AM
per mlbtradrumors.com

Ken Griffey Jr. to the Cubs for LHP Sean Marshall and OF Jacque Jones.

apparently it was also discussed on Chicago radio station The Score last night. I would love this deal. I'd prefer a RH-hitting outfielder, but I'd pull the trigger in a second simply because of Marshall. He would immediately be our #4 starter, is left handed, has had some major league success, and is signed cheaply through 2011. Without any help from the minors, that would give us a rotation of

Harang
Bailey
Arroyo
Marshall
Belisle

through 2011. That's a pretty good start!

Edit: oops, didn't see the other thread, sorry!

No problem. I've merged your post and edited this thread's title to disclose the Griffey rumor.

WVRed
06-19-2007, 10:37 AM
That system, along with Dodgers is the one I'd really like to raid in a Dunn deal. Problem is getting Stoneman to come up off a prospect. He hordes that minor league system like Fort Knox.

And barely gives them any exposure to the major league level.

I'd venture to say Brandon Wood is the top prospect. Not sure who the major leaguers are.

Benihana
06-19-2007, 10:43 AM
And barely gives them any exposure to the major league level.

I'd venture to say Brandon Wood is the top prospect. Not sure who the major leaguers are.

The major leaguers were reported to be Ervin Santana and Howie Kendrick. Erick Aybar was another possiblity, as was Nick Adenhart.

As far as the Yankees deal, I would do Weather and Hatteberg for anyone from Group A plus anyone from Group B:

Group A
Joba Chamberlain P
Ian Kennedy P

Group B
Alan Horne P
Kyle Anson C
Colin Curtis OF

Trading Hatteberg in the next two months is a must, as it is Votto time in Cincinnati.

If we could somehow pull off all three of these trades, it would really be something, although the Angels trade will surely have to be pared down.

Jaycint
06-19-2007, 10:46 AM
The major leaguers were reported to be Ervin Santana and Howie Kendrick. Erick Aybar was another possiblity, as was Nick Adenhart.

As far as the Yankees deal, I would do Weather and Hatteberg for anyone from Group A plus anyone from Group B:

Group A
Joba Chamberlain P
Ian Kennedy P

Group B
Alan Horne P
Kyle Anson C
Colin Curtis OF

Trading Hatteberg in the next two months is a must, as it is Votto time in Cincinnati.

I'd give em Hatteberg and Weathers for Chamberlain and Horne and not look back. I want as many arms as possible infused into this system.

Red Leader
06-19-2007, 10:49 AM

I agree that we need to open up a spot for Votto here in the near future. I'd be 100% for signing Hatteberg to another contract this offseason if the Yankees don't pick up his option for 2008, though. I think he'd be an ideal LH pinch hitter and 1B backup next year. The most it would cost us is $2M and I think that'd be money well spent.

Guacarock
06-19-2007, 10:56 AM

Trying to deal with Stoneman will be frustrating, not only because he's a piker, but also because he's gotta be salivating over the idea of finally landing Tejada from the Orioles with the upheaval under way in Baltimore.

Instead of getting hung up by the La-La Landers, we should forge a deal for Dunn with the more decisive Dombrowski/Leyland in Detroit: Adam for Maroth, Shelton and either Maybin or Gorkys Hernandez.

The cornerstone of the deal for us: Maybin or Hernandez, either of whom would most likely become our future CF, joining Bruce and Hamilton to form a young, powerhouse Reds outfield.

Maroth gives us an adequate (No. 4 or 5) southpaw for the existing rotation, and a higher comfort level in trading off Lohse. Shelton would be a nice backup for Votto at 1B, able to catch a little, and provide some pop and spark off the bench. With Shelton on board, we could look to convert more of our veteran spare parts (guys like Conine, Valentin, Moeller) into prospects.

WVRed
06-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Trying to deal with Stoneman will be frustrating, not only because he's a piker, but also because he's gotta be salivating over the idea of finally landing Tejada from the Orioles with the upheaval under way in Baltimore.

Instead of getting hung up by the La-La Landers, we should forge a deal for Dunn with the more decisive Dombroski/Leyland in Detroit: Adam for Maroth, Shelton and either Maybin or Gorkys Hernandez.

The cornerstone of the deal for us: Maybin or Hernandez, either of whom would most likely become our future CF, joining Bruce and Hamilton to form a young, powerhouse Reds outfield.

Maroth gives us an adequate (No. 4 or 5) southpaw for the existing rotation, and a higher comfort level in trading off Lohse. Shelton would be a nice backup for Votto at 1B, able to catch a little, and provide some pop and spark off the bench. With Shelton on board, we could look to convert more of our veteran spare parts (guys like Conine, Valentin, Moeller) into prospects.

Definitely Maybin.

On the other hand, if the Cubs are interested in a Griffey deal, try to get Felix Pie from them. The guy has Carlos Beltran potential written all over him.

Joseph
06-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Dunn to the Padres for Clay Hensley and Justin Hampson.

How's that sit with everyone?

membengal
06-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Hensley has been just horrible in 2007. Indescribably bad, and now banned to AAA in favor of Justin Germano. Justin Hampton better be all-universe, otherwise on the face of it, doesn't sit too well with me at all.

Benihana
06-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Dunn to the Padres for Clay Hensley and Justin Hampton.

no thanks.

Felix Pie? No chance the Cubs trade him. That's like us trading Jay Bruce. If you're going to pluck a prospect, Maybin might be the best bet. However, I would rather try to pry Andrew Miller away, although that would realistically never happen. I'd rather deal with either of the LA teams than the Padres when discussing Dunn, because I think they have a lot more talent to offer. Any deal with the Pads must include Chase Headley, and even then I wouldn't be that excited. I'd still try to get a Griffey-for-Saltalamacchia deal done, with Salty manning the catcher position until Mesoraco is ready. Then he could move to 1B a la Piazza or Biggio.

Joseph
06-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Its just an email rumor making the rounds this morning. Supposed to happen 'today', but these things are almost as bad as chain letter emails come this time of year.

Jaycint
06-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Its just an email rumor making the rounds this morning. Supposed to happen 'today', but these things are almost as bad as chain letter emails come this time of year.

I just peed a little bit in my pants, and not from laughter. If that is the deal we get for Dunn I will not be pleased.

Joseph
06-19-2007, 11:41 AM
I just peed a little bit in my pants, and not from laughter. If that is the deal we get for Dunn I will not be pleased.

I kind of wonder if indeed we do over value what we should get for Dunn here, contract situation considered. I see names like Miller, Maybin and other high profile players that the other side is not likely to deal, and it makes me wonder what anyone would think would be 'fair' for Dunn without being unrealistic.

Is that even possible when talking about trading away a guy like Dunn?

I'm not saying I like this deal, I'm just saying if we get back two pitchers is everyone jumping off the bridge?

puca
06-19-2007, 11:47 AM

I assume it is Justin Hampson.

That would be an awful return for Dunn, just awful.

Jaycint
06-19-2007, 11:51 AM
I kind of wonder if indeed we do over value what we should get for Dunn here, contract situation considered. I see names like Miller, Maybin and other high profile players that the other side is not likely to deal, and it makes me wonder what anyone would think would be 'fair' for Dunn without being unrealistic.

Is that even possible when talking about trading away a guy like Dunn?

I'm not saying I like this deal, I'm just saying if we get back two pitchers is everyone jumping off the bridge?

I'd say it would depend on the pitchers.

As for the value most here think we should get in return for Dunn, I can't speak for everyone but my personal view is this would be fair:

1. I want a top three prospect from whichever organization we do the deal with. Position of this player isn't really of primary importance to me, I just want value in return if I'm giving up value. My worst nightmare in this whole Dunn saga is a quantity for quality deal where we get back a bunch of dreck that is supposed to overwhelm us in numbers.

2. Along with #1 I want either a steady (if not spectacular) relief arm or back of the rotation guy.

If I can't get 1 AND 2 then I don't deal Dunn at all. Pony up and pay him next year, sure it's a lot of money but what he brings to the table isn't easily replaced IMO.

Joseph
I assume it is Justin Hampson.

That would be an awful return for Dunn, just awful.

Oops, yes it is.

SteelSD

Ewww

Hensley will be 28 in August and has fallen off a cliff this season and is struggling mightily in AAA right now (31.0 IP- 6.10 ERA, 17 BB/15K). Justin Hampson is a 27-year-old non-prospect who was snagged off waivers from Colorado last October.

BRM
06-19-2007, 11:55 AM
I have been preparing myself for the inevitable disappointment with the return for Dunn.

Joseph
06-19-2007, 11:59 AM
I have been preparing myself for the inevitable disappointment with the return for Dunn.

As have I, as should everyone.

I just want to see the 'haters' jump onto the Dunn bandwagon once he's gone and claim how much more we should have gotten for the commodity that they wanted gone at all costs.

rdiersin
06-19-2007, 12:02 PM
As have I, as should everyone.

I just want to see the 'haters' jump onto the Dunn bandwagon once he's gone and claim how much more we should have gotten for the commodity that they wanted gone at all costs.

Its funny, I was talking to my brother last night and had that exact same thought. He mentioned how they should trade Dunn and they should get a good return, unlike the Kearns/Lopez trade. I thought to myself, how could you know what kind of return you should get when you don't understand Dunn's value? But, I didn't say anything, better to keep the peace I guess.

Crosley68
06-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Don't the Cubbies train in Arizona? I am certain that would be a deal breaker for Junior.

smith288
06-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Wow. There's some analysis for you. Remember, we would just be taking Jones for the sake of getting Marshall. IMO, taking on a "turd" might be worth the hassle if we can land a player like that.

You are right that Junior probably wouldn't approve the trade... although Chicago could look more like a contender in a few weeks if they play their cards right. Then maybe he would consider it (might be nice to ride off into the sunset playing in Wrigley, right?)
Sorry if that disappoints you but its true. The guy is a turd. Overpaid and subtraction by addition.

I would rather we do that deal and NOT take on Jones or take a few minor leaguers with the hopes one pans out or use them as trade fodder for other packages...

Red Leader
06-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Sorry if that disappoints you but its true. The guy is a turd. Overpaid and subtraction by addition.

I would rather we do that deal and NOT take on Jones or take a few minor leaguers with the hopes one pans out or use them as trade fodder for other packages...

But that's the point. You wouldn't GET Marshall if you didn't take Jones contract back. That's the state of MLB today. Unless you're trading with the Yankees, you don't just dump a $10M+ salary on someone and only get back high ceiling prospects. There has to be somewhat of an offset of payroll on both sides if you want the prospects. That's just the way it works.

NJReds
06-19-2007, 01:15 PM
You could probably give Jones to the Mets for some minor leaguers. But it won't happen. I really doubt Jr. would go to the Cubs.

M2
06-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Don't the Cubbies train in Arizona? I am certain that would be a deal breaker for Junior.

Though there's the Piniella factor to offset that a bit. Plus, now that his kids are getting older, summer in Chicago could be a popular idea.

Benihana
06-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Though there's the Piniella factor to offset that a bit. Plus, now that his kids are getting older, summer in Chicago could be a popular idea.

Summer in Chicago is one of the best things in life ;)

westofyou
06-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Summer in Chicago is one of the best things in life ;)

As is Portland's, too bad it doesn't start until July though.

smith288
06-19-2007, 01:29 PM
But that's the point. You wouldn't GET Marshall if you didn't take Jones contract back. That's the state of MLB today. Unless you're trading with the Yankees, you don't just dump a $10M+ salary on someone and only get back high ceiling prospects. There has to be somewhat of an offset of payroll on both sides if you want the prospects. That's just the way it works.
I see that point. I don't like it though.

Chip R
06-19-2007, 01:33 PM

Of course that would mean spring training in Arizona.

Red Leader
06-19-2007, 01:40 PM
I see that point. I don't like it though.

:laugh: Well, truth be told, I don't like it either. But if it means the Reds get back Jacque Jones and Sean Marshall instead of Clay Hensley and a player released this past offseason, then I'm willing to accept it.

OnBaseMachine
06-19-2007, 06:24 PM
From John Fay -

Tuesday, June 19, 2007
On the Dunn rumor

My old buddy Tim Sullivan floated the Adam Dunn-to-San Diego rumor by Padre GM Kevin Towers. Towers' reply: "Not worth chasing."

The report in San Diego was left-hander Justin Hampson, right-hander Clay Hensley and another player for Dunn.

Dunn's contract status -- his option goes away if he traded -- probably would not concern the Padres. They're looking for a bat to get them over the top, even if a its a rent-a-bat.

Hampson and Hensley are both 27. Hampson is 2-1 with a 0.81 ERA. Hensley is currently pitching in Triple-A. He was 11-12 with a 3.71 ERA last year.

The trade seems to make sense. Maybe the combination of players changes and it happens.

OnBaseMachine
06-19-2007, 06:28 PM
If that is indeed true, Wayne Krivsky needs to be fired immediately. What a horrible deal that would be. Any deal involving Adam Dunn and the Padres has to start with Chase Headley, and then you go from there. And then add Matt Antonelli and Wade LeBlanc and you may be on to something. Though I still prefer a deal with the Dodgers involving Matt Kemp and either Billingsley or Meloan.

Krusty
06-19-2007, 06:30 PM
The best deals are the ones you never hear about.

wheels
06-19-2007, 06:31 PM
I told you guys......I'm preparing for a Dave Williams type return in an Adam Dunn trade.

Mario-Rijo
06-19-2007, 06:38 PM
From John Fay -

Tuesday, June 19, 2007
On the Dunn rumor

My old buddy Tim Sullivan floated the Adam Dunn-to-San Diego rumor by Padre GM Kevin Towers. Towers' reply: "Not worth chasing."

The report in San Diego was left-hander Justin Hampson, right-hander Clay Hensley and another player for Dunn.

Dunn's contract status -- his option goes away if he traded -- probably would not concern the Padres. They're looking for a bat to get them over the top, even if a its a rent-a-bat.

Hampson and Hensley are both 27. Hampson is 2-1 with a 0.81 ERA. Hensley is currently pitching in Triple-A. He was 11-12 with a 3.71 ERA last year.

The trade seems to make sense. Maybe the combination of players changes and it happens.

I am an avid Krivsky supporter, but if that trade were to go down.....just count me in the crowd against him if it does. Unless of course the other player is Jake Peavy or Adrian Gonzales.

Aronchis
06-19-2007, 06:50 PM
I told you guys......I'm preparing for a Dave Williams type return in an Adam Dunn trade.

That is because you didn't understand the "Dave Williams" trade or the humor in the first place.

Adam Dunn's value is 10 times what Casey's was who had peeked as a player.

guttle11
06-19-2007, 06:50 PM
If the Dodgers and Padres both go after Dunn, Wayne had better talk his way into robbing one of them blind.

As far as the "rumor", it's interesting at the surface. As long as the "other player" projects to be an everyday ML outfielder, I think that's the exact kind of package that Dunn is worth on the market.

That is, of course, unless Krivsky is able to talk his way into the crossfire of a bidding war.

M2
06-19-2007, 07:54 PM

He has the strength of ten Dave Williamses!

JaxRed
06-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Worst part of a trade where we get Maybin back? Listening to Aronchis say that he's gone from best hitter in High A to a bum overnight.

vaticanplum
06-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Ok, this is my second futurific proclamation in as many threads, but if Griffey ever plays for the Cubs I'm moving to France. I don't care if we get Zambrano, Lee, Ramirez and Soriano in return. That just needs to never, ever happen.

HumnHilghtFreel
06-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Ok, this is my second futurific proclamation in as many threads, but if Griffey ever plays for the Cubs I'm moving to France. I don't care if we get Zambrano, Lee, Ramirez and Soriano in return. That just needs to never, ever happen.

I thought the same thing. I like the names that are being thrown around in return, but I would HATE to see Jr. in a Cubs uniform.

M2
06-19-2007, 09:18 PM

That's not really much of a threat. You could just as easily vow to vacation in Hawaii.

vaticanplum
06-19-2007, 09:26 PM
That's not really much of a threat. You could just as easily vow to vacation in Hawaii.

The goal, though, is to spend the rest of my life around people who don't understand baseball, thus reminding me that I should never devote so much of my soul to a player nor so much hatred to a stupid, stupid team named for a small fuzzy animal.

Griffey in a Cubs uniform would be just about the wrongest thing in baseball that I can imagine. I'd much sooner accept him in Red Sox duds than that.

wheels
06-19-2007, 09:37 PM
That is because you didn't understand the "Dave Williams" trade or the humor in the first place.

That's an ironic response if there ever was one.

membengal
06-20-2007, 07:10 AM
Worst part of a trade where we get Maybin back? Listening to Aronchis say that he's gone from best hitter in High A to a bum overnight.

That's one of the funniest things I have ever read on here.

Tip of the minor league forum cap to you!

Krusty
06-20-2007, 08:24 AM
If Griffey doesn't go to Atlanta, I think he will be in a Reds uniform for the remainder of the season.

If the Reds trade Adam Dunn, they will need to put fannies in the seats on days when Homer Bailey isn't pitching.

Chip R
06-20-2007, 09:20 AM
The goal, though, is to spend the rest of my life around people who don't understand baseball, thus reminding me that I should never devote so much of my soul to a player nor so much hatred to a stupid, stupid team named for a small fuzzy animal.

So you're moving back to Chicago? :evil:

bucksfan2
06-20-2007, 09:29 AM
If Griffey doesn't go to Atlanta, I think he will be in a Reds uniform for the remainder of the season.

If the Reds trade Adam Dunn, they will need to put fannies in the seats on days when Homer Bailey isn't pitching.

I think Griffey means too much financially to this club the rest of the season to be traded. He and Homer are the only draws that the reds will have during the dog days of the summer. I dont know if Cast is willing to part with his remaining money maker.

Chip R
06-20-2007, 09:40 AM
I think Griffey means too much financially to this club the rest of the season to be traded. He and Homer are the only draws that the reds will have during the dog days of the summer. I dont know if Cast is willing to part with his remaining money maker.

I don't see attendance dropping off significantly if anyone is traded.

osuceltic
06-20-2007, 09:58 AM
FWIW ... every once in a while I get some tips about the Reds. I've been told the Twins may be the frontrunners for Dunn and the Reds are looking hard at Garza. You guys know more about other teams' minor leaguers than I do. Thoughts on Garza?

wolfboy
06-20-2007, 10:07 AM
I'd much sooner accept him in Red Sox duds than that.

Given your loyalties outside of the Reds, I refuse to believe this statement.

membengal
06-20-2007, 10:12 AM
FWIW ... every once in a while I get some tips about the Reds. I've been told the Twins may be the frontrunners for Dunn and the Reds are looking hard at Garza. You guys know more about other teams' minor leaguers than I do. Thoughts on Garza?

I love me some Garza. That's the kind of return (plus another player) that I expect for Dunn.

Benihana
06-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Dunn for Garza straight up, lets do it!

Problem is, I doubt he would ever sign long term in Minnesota given their location and cash situation, so I doubt the Twins would ever give up that much to get him.

blumj
06-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Given your loyalties outside of the Reds, I refuse to believe this statement.
Oh, I totally believe it. Vaticanplum never speaks of the Red Sox with anywhere near the sort of contempt she reserves for the Cubs.

smith288
06-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Griffey in a Cubs uniform would be just about the wrongest thing in baseball that I can imagine. I'd much sooner accept him in Red Sox duds than that.

*GAAASP*

lollipopcurve
06-20-2007, 12:15 PM

Interesting indeed. The Twins have had some "coachability" issues with Garza this year, from what I've read. Apparently he doesn't seem to want to work on his secondary pitches as much as they would like him to. He's a power pitcher, but supposedly he's got a 4-pitch repertoire. He's still 23, so he's young, yet the Twins have had him throw a lot of innings the last two years. I think the talent is there to be a solid 200 inning guy -- but the questions (at least for me) are the head and whether the heavy workload at ages 21-22 will be a problem. Still, I'd take him -- would be nice to pair him with Homer for a few years.

RedsManRick
06-20-2007, 12:31 PM
Garza would be awesome. He touches 96-97 on his fastball and it sits around 93. He has a solid slider and curve and devloping change. The biggest complaint about him is that he's a bit over reliant on his fastball. He's a bit like Bailey in that he dominated the minors largely on the strength of the fastball and doesn't yet have great command of his other pitches, so he's a bit susceptible to guys sitting fastball in the majors at the moment. The Twins are very big on guys listening to coaches, so he could be falling out of favor despite his talent. He's only 23 though and if paired with Bailey would give the Reds one of the highest upside rotations in baseball.

He flew through the minors putting up the following numbers cumulatively:

211 IP
2.56 ERA
0.98 WHIP
10.36 K/9
2.26 BB/9
6.57 H/9
0.60 HR/9

vaticanplum
06-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Oh, I totally believe it. Vaticanplum never speaks of the Red Sox with anywhere near the sort of contempt she reserves for the Cubs.

The Red Sox are what they are. I don't like them, but they're at heart a very similar organization to the Yankees, and in some of the differences between the teams I actually respect the Red Sox more. If Griffey were traded to the Sox, I'd at least have faith that he'd be fulfilling a legitimate need for them, and the money spent on him is something they regularly do. If he were traded to the Cubs, I'd see it much more of a case of a poorly placed mercenary than a thoughtful transaction. And their fans would be horrible to him.

The Red Sox and their fans do a lot of things I hate, but they at least typically do them educatedly.

LoganBuck
06-20-2007, 01:52 PM
Dunn for Garza straight up, lets do it!

Problem is, I doubt he would ever sign long term in Minnesota given their location and cash situation, so I doubt the Twins would ever give up that much to get him.

The Twins are in a win now situation. Santana and Hunter are out the door after the season, they have some nice young players but if they are going to win it all this is the season they have to take their shot. They need a left handed power bat.

Dunn would give them a third type A free agent if they let him walk. With the way the Twins draft and develop talent giving them seven picks in the first round would be awesome. They could afford to pay for them as well if they lose the Santana and Hunter contracts.

LoganBuck
06-20-2007, 02:07 PM
What kind of player would this package net?:D

Majewski
Bray
Castro
Keppinger
Richie Gardener

Benihana
06-20-2007, 02:18 PM
The Twins are in a win now situation. Santana and Hunter are out the door after the season, they have some nice young players but if they are going to win it all this is the season they have to take their shot. They need a left handed power bat.

Dunn would give them a third type A free agent if they let him walk. With the way the Twins draft and develop talent giving them seven picks in the first round would be awesome. They could afford to pay for them as well if they lose the Santana and Hunter contracts.

I don't believe Santana is a FA this year.

Jaycint
06-20-2007, 02:48 PM
I do a Garza for Dunn deal if they throw in Alexander Smit too. Could be a useful bullpen guy who misses a lot of bats. Of course the Twins probably don't even do Garza for Dunn straight up so at that point I guess me and Terry Ryan are hanging up on each other.

OnBaseMachine
06-20-2007, 08:12 PM
I would love to add Matt Garza to the equation. I would like another player to be thrown in (Morlan maybe?) but this is the type of return Krivsky needs to get for Dunn. A young, power arm who can pair up with Homer Bailey to be one of the best 1-2 punches in the game for the next decade. I hope if/when Dunn is traded that Garza is the guy we receive in return.

osuceltic
06-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Is it true that Votto has played five straight games in LF? Dunn better keep his bags packed.

Also ... I've heard the Junior-to-the-Cubs thing was closer than anyone knows, but Junior squashed it because the Cubs don't train in Florida. Apparently he wants to go to Atlanta.

BRM
06-21-2007, 09:05 AM
A Conine mention on mlbtraderumors.com.

Rosenthal believes Omar Minaya's focus is instead on players like Mark Buehrle, Jeff Conine, and Mark Sweeney.

RANDY IN INDY
06-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Have seen Garza pitch a couple of times in AAA when they were in Charlotte. I came away, very impressed, on both occasions.

macro
06-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Take this for what it's worth, but the Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that "Griffey is unhappy in Cincinnati" and that he "would welcome a move to Chicago". This comes from the infamous "private sources".

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/437375,CST-SPT-cubnt21.article

The Cubs have talked with the Texas Rangers and several other teams about deals involving outfielder Jacque Jones, team officials confirmed. Jones has another year left on a contract that pays him $4 million this year and $5 million next year, which could make it tougher to deal him to a would-be seller such as Texas.

Meanwhile, at the top of the Cubs' wish list might be a left-handed hitter capable of hitting every day in the middle of the order. Cliff Floyd is that kind of player, but his health issues could leave just enough doubt to make a deal for a player such as Ken Griffey Jr. look like a fit by the July 31 deadline.

Griffey has a history with manager Lou Piniella and is unhappy in Cincinnati, where he was moved from center field to right this year. Not only are the Reds shopping him, but he has said privately to those close to him that he would welcome a move to Chicago.

Griffey is signed through next season with a team option for 2009 at salaries of $6.5 million each year. While the Cubs' uncertain ownership future makes acquiring a player with a multiyear contract more difficult, team officials say they haven't been told they can't take on salary beyond this year.

I'm inclined to take this with a grain of salt, but the bunch at ESPN2's Cold Pizza are taking this and running with it. The discussion finally came after two or three promos of the story, leading into commercial breaks.

Benihana
06-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Griff for Sean Marshall straight up?

Let's do it.

Mario-Rijo
06-21-2007, 08:51 PM
An interesting blip on the radar that no one seemd to catch when it was written.

June 18th
Which one's a keeper?
One man's opinion: Time is right to deal Dunn

Column by The Post's Lonnie Wheeler

All these years, we've wondered what the Reds could do if Ken Griffey Jr. were healthy and hitting like he can. Now, sadly, we know.

Apparently, it wouldn't make any difference in the National League standings if Griffey were sharing a batting order with Babe Ruth and Ted Williams. Or Babe the pig and Ted the Kennedy. Whatever.

For most of April, the Reds were pretty decent. Griffey wasn't. The hand he broke over the winter wasn't quite right yet, and then there was that digestive condition that nobody can spell, followed by pleurisy, which nobody can define. He finished the month with one home run, a creaky bat and a nation of doubters.

Once he had exhausted the medical dictionary, Junior began to hit well enough to be returned to the third spot in the Cincinnati lineup. Not that there was lively competition for it. But upon settling there, even as the Reds reeked increasingly until they were the only sixth-place team in the game, he began to hit well enough to remind everyone how great a figure is in our midst, and has been through all the ailing seasons.

Over the last six of them, the former Player of the Decade - that was the decade before he got to Cincinnati - has averaged but 92 games a schedule. If he had played a reasonable norm of 142 during those difficult years, an extra 50 a pop, it would have added 300 games, roughly two seasons' worth, to his resume. At 45 homers per - he averaged 49 over his last six healthy years in Seattle - that would raise Griffey's career total by 90, which would put him with 671 at this moment, which would render ridiculous all this speculation about trading him.

As it stands, his value probably hasn't been better since he arrived back in his hometown. The $12.5 million he makes annually, through next year (there's a club option for 2009 at $16.5 million), doesn't seem so weighty when you consider that he suddenly stands second in the league in home runs - or at least he did until Adam Dunn, his buddy and running mate in trade rumors, clubbed a couple Sunday. And when you consider not only the power of Griffey's game, but the power of Griffey's name.

Suppose, though, that the Reds could manage to find a generous taker for their right fielder. Could they spend $12.5 million in a more prudent fashion? Or finally, at 37, in his eighth Cincinnati season, with a slimmer midsection and friskier legs, with the move away from center field, has Griffey become more precious to the Reds than anyone they could get for him?

It's a quandary occasioned expressly by his impressive hitting over an extended stretch now. And by the acrid sentiment that we've seen enough of this season.

If there was any remaining doubt as to which side of the counter Wayne Krivsky should stand on for the next six weeks, it was dispelled in the latest, squandered, dispiriting homestand; more specifically, by the gruesome pounding the home team took Sunday from the dreadful Texas Rangers, with the series at stake. The Reds persist in doing a few things well - hitting home runs being foremost among them - but not nearly well enough to overcome that which they do miserably, such as hit and pitch in the clutch. Clearly, they're a team on which the reconfiguring remains eminently unfinished.

So who goes? Dunn's recent hot streak can only abet Krivsky's reported efforts to trade him to a contender in pursuit of big hitting, but his contract is large and problematic - larger, by next year, and more problematic than Griffey's.

And what if Griffey, who has the right to veto any trade he's involved in, should desire to leave Cincinnati? Don't forget that, four months ago, he told a Seattle columnist, "My home's in Florida. I work in Cincinnati. That 19-year-old kid who's now 37 has a whole different opinion of people. I work in Cincinnati. That's it."

If Griffey would rather play in Los Angeles or Atlanta, do the Reds owe it to him to make a deal happen, if it's reasonable? And on the flip side, does he owe it to them to do the same, if Krivsky finds a compatible buyer?

Sunday, all Griffey would say on the subject was, "I can't control what happens upstairs. I'm employee No. 3. That's the furthest thing from my mind right now."

It's likely not, however, the furthest thing from Krivsky's. The GM hasn't said as much, and he wouldn't, but could the Reds actually divest themselves of both their sluggers? Should they?

For Dunn, the time appears to be right, if not the circumstances.

For Griffey, it's the other way around. The way he's going, he could have his 600th home run before the Reds' awful season is over. If they should trade him now, who would there be to watch on the days Homer Bailey isn't pitching? At long last, Cincinnati is savoring a sweet glimpse of the superstar that Seattle saw before the turn of the century.

It's ironic, in that light, that Griffey will have found his old form just in time for the Reds' rare series this week in western Washington. He didn't want to talk about the celebrated revisit, but when asked on Father's Day whether he would welcome a more permanent return to the site of his youthful glory, the illustrious outfielder did have one provocative remark.

"What's their record?" he asked.

indy_dave00
06-21-2007, 09:00 PM
If Griffey goes to the Cubs I'd ask for Rich Hill as the lefty starter not Marshall . Give me Matt Murton who is a right handed hitter and down at Iowa not Jacque Jones. Let them dump Jones elsewhere.

As for Matt Garza watched him here in Indy at beautiful Victory Field. He allowed 4 runs in the first inning , he then settled down and allowed 0 hits the next 6 innings. Once he found his groove he was very impressive.

KoryMac5
06-22-2007, 05:15 PM
The rumors involving the Cubs have been squashed by Jayson Stark. The Tribune company has told the Cubs FO that they are only giving enough money to finish the season. If they had anymore it would have gone to Zambrano already.

Matt700wlw
06-22-2007, 05:28 PM
I hope Griffey doesn't go to the Cubs....I don't want to root for a Cub...

traderumor
06-22-2007, 05:34 PM
The rumors involving the Cubs have been squashed by Jayson Stark. The Tribune company has told the Cubs FO that they are only giving enough money to finish the season. If they had anymore it would have gone to Zambrano already.What makes Jayson Stark more reliable than the original rumor? How does he know what the Tribune Company has told the Cubs FO? In other words, what is more reliable about his witness (I'm sure this is a "source," right?) than the rumor starter?

Matt700wlw
06-24-2007, 02:14 PM
The rumors involving the Cubs have been squashed by Jayson Stark. The Tribune company has told the Cubs FO that they are only giving enough money to finish the season. If they had anymore it would have gone to Zambrano already.

The Griffey Cubs rumors aren't dead....they just may not be as public as they were originally.