PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie to Miguel - Yo, El Gordo

westofyou
06-19-2007, 11:54 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/media/photo/2007-06/30611913.jpg

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen tells Marlins' Cabrera to lose weight

CHICAGO -- Miguel Cabrera's recent weight gain hasn't escaped the notice of his countryman and mentor, Ozzie Guillen.

The subject came up again during their late dinner Sunday evening after the Marlins flew into town for this three-game interleague series with the White Sox. Guillen was blunt as ever with reporters Monday when asked about their conversation.

"I'm a little upset with him," said Guillen, the former Marlins third-base coach now in his fourth season managing the White Sox. "I said, 'You're still young. You're going to keep getting bigger.' He knows he's got a problem. We talked about it."

Guillen challenged Cabrera, 24, to get in better shape last winter in Venezuela, and Cabrera reported to spring training looking noticeably slimmer. But the combination of a strained oblique in April and some slippage in his commitment to conditioning has led to a much snugger uniform and some criticism in the media.

Even Guillen couldn't resist teasing his friend during a recent phone call, telling Cabrera he looked like he had a "lot of arepas" in his burgeoning belly.

"When you're young and you're good, you can get away with a lot of stuff," Guillen said. "When you're getting older and you go down, they say you're fat. Right now it's, 'Oh, he's a little chubby. He likes to eat.' When you're not hitting .340 with 40 home runs, they're going to call you a fat boy from Venezuela. You'd better lose some weight."

Part of the problem, Guillen said, is cultural.

"When your mom is Venezuelan and your wife is Venezuelan, you're going to get fat because they like to cook," Guillen said. "When you sit there for lunch and you see all the food, you're going to eat it. The good thing is he knows about it."

Guillen isn't asking Cabrera to go on any crash diets, just to watch what he eats a little more closely.

"Miggy is not going to be a small kid; he never will," Guillen said. "I just told him, 'You have to take care of yourself because you have a chance to be one of the best players ever from our country.' Miggy is going to be a Hall of Famer. There's no doubt."

As long as Cabrera gets his weight under control, Guillen sees no reason why he shouldn't be able to remain at third base for years to come. He raved about his natural athleticism and said he is a "way better player" than Andres Galarraga, the only Venezuelan to win a batting title in the majors.

If Cabrera doesn't make a change soon, however, "He's going to play in the Mexican League," Guillen joked.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/baseball/marlins/sfl-flspmarnotes19nbjun19,0,7980939.story

Highlifeman21
06-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Krivsky would have cut him for being fat.

westofyou
06-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Krivsky would have cut him for being fat.

If you say so.

Highlifeman21
06-19-2007, 12:02 PM
If you say so.

He cut Josh Hancock for being fat.

BRM
06-19-2007, 12:04 PM

Hancock was released a month before Wayne took the job.

westofyou
06-19-2007, 12:05 PM

No, O'Brien cut him.

Chip R
06-19-2007, 12:06 PM
If he thinks Miguel is so fat, why did they go out to dinner? Why not to the gym instead? ;)

westofyou
06-19-2007, 12:06 PM
If he thinks Miguel is so fat, why did they go out to dinner? Why not to the gym instead? ;)

Or the Vomitorium?

Big Klu
06-19-2007, 12:07 PM

Maybe he was cut for a multitude of other problems, including alcohol and pot, which contributed to his ultimate demise.

KronoRed
06-19-2007, 12:22 PM

Stop off and get some power bars on the way

cumberlandreds
06-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Maybe he was cut for a multitude of other problems, including alcohol and pot, which contributed to his ultimate demise.

I think you may be right in light of what has happened in the last few months. Many times there is more to the story than what is told publicly.

oneupper
06-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Cabrera isn't a stranger to the nightlife circles and has been known to "knock a few back".

lite or not...it will bite you.

Highlifeman21
06-19-2007, 02:57 PM
No, O'Brien cut him.

My apologies, I thought Hancock being released was one of the first orders of business by Krivsky, along with the acquisition of Scott Hatteberg.

I retract what I said about Krivsky.

O'Brien would have cut Miggy for being fat.

Redsland
06-19-2007, 03:16 PM
O'Brien fired (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/2006/01/obrien-fired-kullman-steps-in.asp) January 23, 2006

Krivsky hired (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2323116) February 8, 2006

Hancock released (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/2006_02_12_default.asp) February 18, 2006

BRM
06-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Baseball Reference (http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hancojo01.shtml) shows this for Hancock's transaction history.

January 12, 2006: Released by the Cincinnati Reds (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/2006.shtml).

February 22, 2006: Signed as a Free Agent with the St. Louis Cardinals (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/STL/2006.shtml).

The Reds website (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/transactions.jsp?c_id=cin&year=2006&month=2)has this.

2/8/06 Named Wayne Krivsky general manager.

2/18/06 Released non-roster RHP Josh Hancock.

Redsland
06-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Baseball-reference is mistaken about his release date, as you can see from the links I provided.

Hancock was released on the first day of spring training workouts, which take place in February, not January. And Wayne Krivsky was hired two weeks before spring training started.

BRM
06-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Baseball-reference is mistaken about his release date, as you can see from the links I provided.

Hancock was released on the first day of spring training workouts, which take place in February, not January. And Wayne Krivsky was hired two weeks before spring training started.

Well, in fairness to me, I posted a link to the Reds website which also disputes Baseball Reference. :)

I was actually trying to further prove your point, which meant I was wrong earlier in the thread.

registerthis
06-19-2007, 04:08 PM
I think he was released on February 18. On that date, Marc Lancaster's blog had this to say:

SARASOTA -- On the first day of spring training workouts, the Reds released Josh Hancock. The pitcher came to camp 17 pounds over his requested reporting weight, and with so many pitchers already contending for valuable mound time, Jerry Narron decided to get rid of the 27-year-old right-hander.

"At the end of the year last year, the last day in St. Louis when I talked to these players, I told these guys to give themselves a chance to be successful," said Narron. "I said the only way you can do that is being committed, by working out this winter and coming to spring training in shape, taking seriously what you’re doing.

"I have no clue what Josh Hancock was doing. As far as I know, he might have been running a marathon all winter long. He may have been throwing off the mound. But he was 17 pounds over his requested reporting weight. Can he be a successful major league pitcher 17 pounds more than he’s asked to be? Maybe. But we looked at last year, and he was on the disabled list for 133 games, and just did not see the commitment that we wanted to see this winter. So we let him go the first day of spring training.

"I hope he has a great major league career. I hope this opens his eyes to exactly what he needs to be to be a great major league pitcher. But it goes back to what I just said – we just didn’t see the commitment, so we’re going to give him the opportunity to go somewhere else."

Asked if everyone else's physicals checked out OK, Narron kept going.

"I’m a guy that believes in treating everybody with respect and honesty, and everybody in that clubhouse I definitely will do that with," he said. "But I am not going to sit here and tell you I’ll treat everybody the same. I believe you earn the right to do different things in this game. There might be a player come in here tomorrow that’s 50 pounds overweight, but if he does, he better have had a real good year last year."

Looks like the Hancock release occured during the Krivsky regime, not O'brien's.

BRM
06-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Looks like the Hancock release occured during the Krivsky regime, not O'brien's.

It reads like Narron had some input into the decision as well.

Yachtzee
06-19-2007, 04:51 PM
So Ozzie says you're fat
Well I ain't down with that!
'Cause your bat is big and your hits are kickin'
Just keep swinging that stick 'n'
Hit those home runs up to the mezzanine
Ozzie don't know a thing
The pitchas, they don't miss ya
And the ladies, they can't resist ya

Mario-Rijo
06-19-2007, 04:53 PM
It reads like Narron had some input into the decision as well.

If you all remember correctly it was in fact Narrons call to make.

StillFunkyB
06-19-2007, 05:32 PM
So Ozzie says you're fat
Well I ain't down with that!
'Cause your bat is big and your hits are kickin'
Just keep swinging that stick 'n'
Hit those home runs up to the mezzanine
Ozzie don't know a thing
The pitchas, they don't miss ya
And the ladies, they can't resist ya

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:thumbup:

registerthis
06-19-2007, 05:39 PM
If you all remember correctly it was in fact Narrons call to make.

But Krivsky had to sign off on it. No manager makes deals that the GM is not both privy to and in agreement with.

MWM
06-19-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm not in good shape myself, but I can't think of a single excuse for someone who makes their living as an athlete not be in good shape.

westofyou
06-19-2007, 06:19 PM
I think he was released on February 18. On that date, Marc Lancaster's blog had this to say:

9 days in, if Baseball Reference is wrong (which it looks like they are)

I'm betting Narron has more to do with then the guy on the job for 9 days... but a Piñata is nothing more then a Piñata to most people.

“I talked to these guys about that the last day (of last season) in St. Louis, about coming to spring training in shape,” Narron said. “The only way you do that is to take it serious. I have no clue of what Josh Hancock did this winter. He might have run a marathon for all I know. He might have been throwing off the mound every day. But he was 17 pounds over his requested reporting weight.

“Can he be a successful pitcher at 17 pounds more than he’s asked to be? Maybe. But we looked at last year. He was on the disabled list for 133 games. We did not see the commitment we wanted to see.”