PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Trade Michael Barrett to Padres

redsfan30
06-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Per Buster Olney on Mike and Mike. More info coming.

HumnHilghtFreel
06-20-2007, 10:38 AM
I just now logged on to make this thread.

I guess Zambrano REALLY won that fight.

RedLegSuperStar
06-20-2007, 10:39 AM

And Rich Hill..

Chip R
06-20-2007, 10:40 AM
And Rich Hill..

Well, it was 2 against 1. ;)

RedLegSuperStar
06-20-2007, 10:43 AM
What would be nice is to see one of the pitchers rumored in the Adam Dunn rumor. Either Hampson or Hensley. I can't see the Reds benifiting by sending Dunn to the Padres..

BRM
06-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Per ESPN.

Chicago Cubs catcher Michael Barrett was traded to the San Diego Padres on Wednesday, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

It wasn't known immediately what the Cubs will receive in return from San Diego for Barrett, who has made headlines this season for arguing with Cubs pitchers in the dugout on two occasions this month and struggling on defense at times this season.

Last week, Lou Piniella said Barrett's playing time would be reduced in the coming weeks, though the Cubs manager said it had nothing to do with Barrett clashing with his teammates.

Barrett was involved in a dugout confrontation, shoving match and then a clubhouse brawl with starter Carlos Zambrano during a game earlier this month, then had what was characterized as a heated discussion with starter Rich Hill in the fourth inning of a June 12 loss to Seattle.

RichRed
06-20-2007, 10:45 AM

I'd say Barrett's the winner. He gets to play for a good team now. :)

Johnny Footstool
06-20-2007, 11:11 AM
I'd say Barrett's the winner. He gets to play for a good team now. :)

Word!

BRM
06-20-2007, 11:16 AM
The Padres have acquired Cubs catcher Mike Barrett today in a trade that will send Padres reserve catcher Rob Bowen and low Single-A outfielder Kyler Burke to the Cubs.

San Diego also will get cash considerations in the deal, which the Padres expect will boost their offense and their catching depth.

Barrett, 30, had fallen out of favor with the Cubs, but he is more established in the majors than were either of the Padres' catchers, Josh Bard and Rob Bowen. A right-handed hitter, Barrett has batted .256 this year with nine doubles and nine home runs in 211 at-bats.

Bowen has batted .268 with two home runs in 82 at-bats.

Burke, drafted 35th overall, was batting .211 with one home run in 213 at-bats with low-A Fort Wayne.

LINK (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/weblog/2007/06/padres_get_barrett.html)

lollipopcurve
06-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Catchers who don't get along with good starting pitchers don't know what's good for them.

wolfboy
06-20-2007, 11:23 AM
San Diego also will get cash considerations in the deal, which the Padres expect will boost their offense and their catching depth.

Cash considerations are going to boost the offense and catching depth? If this is true, where have we gone wrong all of these years? :)

M2
06-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Wow, the Cubs gave Barrett to the Padres.

I guess Chicago will be going with Henry Blanco and Koyie Hill. Ick.

Chip R
06-20-2007, 11:53 AM

I guess Chicago will be going with Henry Blanco and Koyie Hill. Ick.

Maybe they'd take Chad Moeller off the Reds' hands. ;)

smith288
06-20-2007, 11:55 AM
The problem wasnt Barrett. The problem is the Cubs stink and cant handle the adversity like the Reds where expectations are to "just compete baby!"

LincolnparkRed
06-20-2007, 01:46 PM
The problem wasnt Barrett. The problem is the Cubs stink and cant handle the adversity like the Reds where expectations are to "just compete baby!"

I will disagree with that one. He is not a very fundamentally sound catcher, lots of bad thows, passed balls, and the like. He is a good hitter for a catcher but all of his other deficiencies finally caught up with him.

registerthis
06-20-2007, 03:34 PM
I will disagree with that one. He is not a very fundamentally sound catcher, lots of bad thows, passed balls, and the like. He is a good hitter for a catcher but all of his other deficiencies finally caught up with him.

Not sure I buy that.

The Cubs literally handed the Barrett over for practically nothing. The trade deadline's over a month away, Barrett's got good offensive skills and wasn't commanding a lot of money. So, what, Cubs management woke up one morning, smacked themselves on the forehead, and exclaimed "we've got a decent offensive catcher who can't really catch that well. We need to jettison him RIGHT NOW"?

:confused:

Jaycint
06-20-2007, 03:42 PM

I was thinking the same thing, not much in return for a proven major league catcher with a solid bat. Excellent move by the Pads IMO.

Burke was obviously the key player in the deal but he is way more potential than proven commodity at this point. Big athletic guy. Classic case of a guy being a great athlete and a team hoping they can make him a baseball player.

Sea Ray
06-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Was Burke really a 35th overall pick? Disappointing numbers if that's true

Burke, drafted 35th overall, was batting .211 with one home run in 213 at-bats with low-A Fort Wayne.

NJReds
06-20-2007, 04:06 PM
How long before he brawls with David Wells?

Jaycint
06-20-2007, 04:07 PM

But he looked like he would be a great ballplayer... ;)

Ltlabner
06-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Not sure I buy that.

The Cubs literally handed the Barrett over for practically nothing. The trade deadline's over a month away, Barrett's got good offensive skills and wasn't commanding a lot of money. So, what, Cubs management woke up one morning, smacked themselves on the forehead, and exclaimed "we've got a decent offensive catcher who can't really catch that well. We need to jettison him RIGHT NOW"?

:confused:

I think it's got 100% to due with the two run ins with the pitchers and almost nothing to do with his onfield performance or lack their of.

Who wants a catcher that activley fights against the pitchers.

Also interesting example of a team not worrying about "getting full value" for their player and more focused on jettisoning him ASAP. Not saying it's right but likely an example of a GM factoring other issues besides raw "trade value" into his player moves.

registerthis
06-20-2007, 05:46 PM
I think it's got 100% to due with the two run ins with the pitchers and almost nothing to do with his onfield performance or lack their of.

I agree.

Outshined_One
06-20-2007, 07:11 PM

His only saving grace at the plate has been his IsoD, which actually has been a solid .094 this season. Beyond that, his BABIP is .321, meaning that .211 batting average actually has been lucky for him (!), along with a number of Ks and little power to show for it.

He's definitely an unfinished product, that's a certainty...

MrCinatit
06-20-2007, 07:33 PM
I guess this was a personality-dump trade on behalf of the Cubs.
I guess they can free up that spot in the trophy case for the World Series trophy now.

UKFlounder
06-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Perhaps "addition by subtraction" will work out for them.

Though I won't complain if it doesn't :)