06-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Per Fay.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/

Benihana
06-20-2007, 04:26 PM
wooooooohoooooooooooo!

Joseph
06-20-2007, 04:36 PM
It's good to see guys move up as they are expected to do and when their talent dictates rather than some arbitrary 'year by year' thing.

TOBTTReds
06-20-2007, 04:38 PM
I came on here just to see if this happened yet. I'm excited.

BRM
06-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Good news all around.

reds44
06-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Glad to see they don't hold Cueto back even with his poor outing today.

Fantastic news.

baseballmom
06-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Gardner and Medlock are going to Louisville.

BRM
06-20-2007, 05:51 PM

Great news! Thanks for the update.

Cyclone792
06-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Fantastic news all around. It will definitely be interesting to see what Bruce and Cueto can do in the Southern League. If they start destroying that league, then I can imagine there will be some fan/media pressure out there to call them up to the Reds (I won't agree with that, but I can see it happening).

Excellent news! Richie's been on fire lately, and hopefully he can keep it up in Louisville.

If Medlock does well in Louisville, I wouldn't mind him later on this season up in the Reds bullpen, even if it's only in a September callup.

reds44
06-20-2007, 06:17 PM
AWESOME news!

Thanks

:beerme:

RedsManRick
06-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Who loses their jobs in Louisville? Cutting some of the aging chaff?

toledodan
06-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Excellent news! Richie's been on fire lately, and hopefully he can keep it up in Louisville.

If Medlock does well in Louisville, I wouldn't mind him later on this season up in the Reds bullpen, even if it's only in a September callup.

i wouldn't be shocked to see both up here before the season is over. this is good news! let the youth movement begin!

toledodan
06-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Who loses their jobs in Louisville? Cutting some of the aging chaff?

thats my guess. of course there could be a trade brewing!:D:thumbup:

Danny Serafini
06-20-2007, 07:31 PM
It's about time Medlock got the call. He really should've started the year in Louisville.

Mario-Rijo
06-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Really Good news for all. I'm especially happy to see Watson and Bruce moving. Cueto I wonder about but he has looked better of late. And maybe Richie and Calvin can have some impact soon. :thumbup:

vaticanplum
06-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Congrats kiddies. Very good news.

HokieRed
06-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Good moves, all of them. Now we need Rosales and Tatum to Chattanooga, and Valaika and Turner, at least, to Sarasota.

OnBaseMachine
06-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Great moves all-around. All of those guys were deserving of promotions. Hopefully Turner and Valaika head to Sarasota also.

edabbs44
06-20-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm excited to see how these guys perform after the promotions, especially Watson.

Blitz Dorsey
06-20-2007, 10:05 PM
We finally have a minor league system worth talking about. It feels good.

I agree that Valaika is the next logical promotion. He should definitely be at high-A by now.

Great news about Bruce and Watson especially. Those two are big pieces to the future puzzle.

reds44
06-20-2007, 10:08 PM
I think Valaika could get the call when Fraizer is signed, but that is pure speculation by me.

Danny Serafini
06-20-2007, 10:19 PM
We finally have a minor league system worth talking about. It feels good.

Yes, it certainly does. It's nice to see hope for the future.

UKFlounder
06-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Yes, it certainly does. It's nice to see hope for the future.

Does the current regime, despite the struggles of the big league team, get much credit for that? I know some of the players were picked during the O'Brien era, but it seems like Krivsky et al may run the system/make these type of decisions better than the Reds have for several years (or am I just letting these seemingly good decisions make me a bit too happy?)

OnBaseMachine
06-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Josh Roenicke has also been promoted to Chattanooga.

mth123
06-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Good moves, all of them. Now we need Rosales and Tatum to Chattanooga, and Valaika and Turner, at least, to Sarasota.

Rosales listed on Chattanoga roster as a pitcher. I think he's up but there is a mix up on the rosters so I'm not sure if that means we shouldn't trust what we see right now.

mth123
06-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Mike Bumatay and Luke Lockwood have disappeared from Chattanooga's Roster. I don't see them anywhere else. Ramon Ramirez appears to have been promoted to Chattanooga too.

Kc61
06-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Cody Strait seems to be at Sarasota.

Where is everyone getting this info? Just from the rosters?

mth123
06-20-2007, 11:23 PM

That is what I'm doing, but so far I've only looked at the pitchers.

reds44
06-20-2007, 11:35 PM
New guys on the Lookouts:
Bruce
Cueto
Ramirez
Roenicke

Down to Sarasota:
Tonys Gutierrez
Cody Strait

Also keep in mind Watson will be going up to Sarasota.

reds44
06-20-2007, 11:37 PM
It also appears Kevin Gunter was demoted from Sarasota to Dayton.

Caveat Emperor
06-20-2007, 11:45 PM
I like the promotions. I think you keep pushing Jay Bruce to face better pitching. Hopefully as the pitching gets better, his eye will improve. His gaudy numbers and ability to rake at single-A really de-incitivizes selectivity. I imagine everything thrown at him looked hittable -- working the count will be key to the next stage in his development.

The Gardner promotion really strikes me as a bit of baseball savvy, and I'm not just saying that because I've been calling for him to be on an aggressive promotion schedule around here for a while. It makes perfect sense to put him against the best competition he can handle. He's not young anymore by prospect standards -- so see what he can give you now and give him a chance to learn how to retire quality hitters with the stuff he currently has. Success at AAA will be a very good indicator for him, because I imagine he's still got at least 2-3 MPH left to recover on his fastball as he completes his recovery from surgery.

Good news from the farm makes up for another lackluster day in the show.

Triples
06-21-2007, 01:48 AM
I don't know where the best source is. According to the Dayton roster Watson is still there as of this moment. And, Valaika didn't play tonight but he is still on the roster as well. Could be that he is just getting a rest, or he could be on the road to Sarasota.

mkainer21
06-21-2007, 01:50 AM
For what it is worth Carson Kainer got option to Dayton as well.

reds44
06-21-2007, 02:36 AM
I don't know where the best source is. According to the Dayton roster Watson is still there as of this moment. And, Valaika didn't play tonight but he is still on the roster as well. Could be that he is just getting a rest, or he could be on the road to Sarasota.
Nobody played for Dayton tonight, they didn't have a game because of the all-star break. Fay is a better source of info then just going through the rosters. Looking through the roster just allows you to try to figure out what he didn't report.

reds44
06-21-2007, 02:38 AM
For what it is worth Carson Kainer got option to Dayton as well.
Thanks. Any reason why?

Triples
06-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Duh..My bad...I was looking at the last box score that was on the Dragon's home page and Valaika wasn't in the lineup. I should have looked at the date. all the moves will become evident soon.

Nobody played for Dayton tonight, they didn't have a game because of the all-star break. Fay is a better source of info then just going through the rosters. Looking through the roster just allows you to try to figure out what he didn't report.

Heath
06-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Front page of the Dayton Daily News -

Watson, Rojas, & Gerardo Cabrera to Sarasota.

Kainer, Kevin Gunter, & Terrell Young to Dayton.

Terry Reynolds also quoted "More moves should be coming".

JaxRed
06-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Suprised Kainer would be moved down. I know they kind of threw him there to fill a spot, but he's held his own.

OesterPoster
06-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Suprised Kainer would be moved down. I know they kind of threw him there to fill a spot, but he's held his own.

Maybe he's filling another spot until additional draftees get signed.

Call it a gut feeling, but I think Valaika gets bumped to Sarasota when Todd Frazier signs and takes the SS position in Dayton. With Tordi getting sent to Billings from Dayton, the Dragons are now short a middle infielder...I think.

reds44
06-21-2007, 01:57 PM
SARASOTA -- One of the hottest selling items when the Sarasota Reds open the second half of the FSL's split season tonight at 7 against the visiting Fort Myers Miracle just might be souvenir programs with roster inserts.

The SaraReds (43-27) promoted five players to Double-A Chattanooga after they closed out the first half Wednesday with a 7-4 victory over the Clearwater Threshers (39-31).

Sarasota, which clinched the West Division title Monday night, spotted Clearwater a 4-0 lead after two innings before rallying for seven consecutive runs in front of 1,291 Kids Camp Day spectators at Ed Smith Stadium.

SaraReds All-Star third baseman Mike Griffin snapped a 4-4 tie with his sixth home run of the season in the bottom of the seventh inning before the hosts added two insurance runs in the eighth.

Carson Kainer, Eric Eymann, Josh Holden and Griffin each had two hits in Sarasota's 11-hit offense. The SaraReds lead the league with a .277 team batting average.

Cincinnati director of player development Terry Reynolds said outfielder Jay Bruce, infielder Adam Rosales along with right-handed pitchers Johnny Cueto, Ramon Ramirez and Josh Roenicke were called up Wednesday.

Pitchers Rick Asadoorian, Carlos Fisher and Richie Gardner were promoted earlier.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20070621/SPORTS/706210467/1006

BRM
06-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Is Rosales at 1B to stay? Has there been any talk of him moving back to the middle infield or over to 3B in the future?

Chi-Town Red
06-21-2007, 08:57 PM
this is so great to see...looking forward to hearing about the young guns!!

mkainer21
06-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks. Any reason why?

I think Dayton is where he is suposed to be. But, I also think he proved himself in Sarasota. Your guess is as good as mine! Although, he will get to play alot in the outfield, which is what he needs the most.

uoduck1017
06-21-2007, 10:14 PM
I have not heard much about Richie Gardner since he had the surgery. Do you guys believe he could make an impact for the Reds down the road?

camisadelgolf
06-30-2007, 05:24 PM
I think Dayton is where he is suposed to be. But, I also think he proved himself in Sarasota. Your guess is as good as mine! Although, he will get to play alot in the outfield, which is what he needs the most.

Is it possible he just thought he'd be more comfortable in Dayton? I see a lot of Texans on the Dragons roster (including former teammate Drew Stubbs). By the way, are you a friend or relative of Carson Kainer?

Redman15
06-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Here's what Reynold's had to say in the Dayton Daily News about more possible promotions and the poor start by the Dragons in the 2nd half.

At this time of the season, the parent Cincinnati Reds could have wrecked the Class A Dayton Dragons.

They could have promoted all their best pitchers (they did take a few) and gutted the team of its best hitters and fielders (they hardly took any).

The team could have been refitted with way-too-young rookies and nondrafted free agents from Independent League teams, which has happened before.

None of that occurred.

So how did a team that won the first-half Eastern Division championship in the Midwest League stumble through eight straight losses before recovering with a doubleheader victory Thursday night in South Bend?

"If I had to explain it," said Reds farm director Terry Reynolds, "it would be some kind of post-championship down time. But that should be well past now, and they should realize it's time to get going.

"I am surprised. With that kind of team, you wouldn't expect to have prolonged problems."

Even with the losing streak and indifferent play, the Dragons remain a team with a nearly flawless double-play combination in shortstop Chris Valaika and second baseman Justin Turner.

They have a powerful third baseman in Juan Francisco.

They have an outfield that, wall to wall, gets to more balls than the Reds.

They have a catcher in Eddy Rodriguez who can actually catch.

So what's wrong?

Manager Donnie Scott exploded after a home game last week, telling the team it was too complacent.

"I am concerned," Reynolds said. "I want to see them get out of it and play their way out of it. If we can go in there and shake things up (that means move some players out), we might do it, but right now, we're pretty young behind them. So they're going to have to right their own ship."

Reynolds also said he wouldn't hesitate to actually promote some players, even though as a team the Dragons aren't doing as well.

"It's all based on earning it and having an opportunity," Reynolds said. "Right now, there are guys who have earned it, but there just isn't opportunity. I wouldn't have any reservations about moving guys we think deserve it when the time is right."

The time is soon going to be right for Valaika and Turner, and maybe even Rodriguez. Pitcher Rafael Gonzalez is close to a call-up.

Already the Dragons are in the playoffs for the first time in five years. When they play hard, they're fun to watch. At the moment, they're not much fun to watch, and other call-ups are looming.

"It's a long season where good things happen and bad things happen," Reynolds said.

We've certainly seen both ends of that.

Contact this reporter at (937) 225-2157

or mkatz@DaytonDailyNews.com.