PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Swings

Ltlabner
06-20-2007, 08:10 PM
As I sit here watching the Red Sox pound the living snot out of the Braves, it got me to thinking.

Manny Rameriez has one hideously ugly swing. Not his "normal" swing but his "homerun swing". The one where he lets go with one hand, the braids swing around his head and he has that "look".

I can't really explain it well, but watching his homerun swing actually ticks me off for some reason. Don't get me wrong, he's a great ballplayer, and I wouldn't mind him being in a Reds uni, instead of a Red Sox uni.

But I hate his swing.

Anybody else out there who's swing just drives you batty for reasons explained or otherwise?

HumnHilghtFreel
06-20-2007, 10:32 PM
I haven't been able to stand watching Andruw Jones swing this year. It seems like with every swing he's using every bit of energy in his body just to try to hit a homerun.

I've only watched a handful of Braves games though, but in those few I've seen him fall to one knee while swinging out of his shoes in at least 5 different at bats.

OldRightHander
06-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Any swing Juan Castro takes when Josh Hamilton is on the bench.

Cedric
06-20-2007, 11:02 PM
As I sit here watching the Red Sox pound the living snot out of the Braves, it got me to thinking.

Manny Rameriez has one hideously ugly swing. Not his "normal" swing but his "homerun swing". The one where he lets go with one hand, the braids swing around his head and he has that "look".

I can't really explain it well, but watching his homerun swing actually ticks me off for some reason. Don't get me wrong, he's a great ballplayer, and I wouldn't mind him being in a Reds uni, instead of a Red Sox uni.

But I hate his swing.

Anybody else out there who's swing just drives you batty for reasons explained or otherwise?

Really? He's got about the prettiest RH swing I've ever seen. It's incredibly smooth and consistent. I'm sorta stunned by this thread.

blumj
06-21-2007, 01:10 AM

But I hate his swing.

Did you notice Dustin Pedroia's swing while you were watching that game? Because everyone hates it.

Superdude
06-21-2007, 01:15 AM
Austin Kearns. Not sure why.

TOBTTReds
06-21-2007, 01:41 AM
Fav RH swing: Manny by far. With Cedric, pretty, and effective swing.
Least Fav RH Swing: Kearns by far. I have disliked his swing from day one, and I still don't understand how he bats .250.

Fav LH swing: Jr.
Least fav LH swing: Hamilton, although very effective, it's not pretty, and that is all I am basing this off of. (The Mayor is close here, and Felix Pie)

Ltlabner
06-21-2007, 07:57 AM
Really? He's got about the prettiest RH swing I've ever seen. It's incredibly smooth and consistent. I'm sorta stunned by this thread.

Stunned? Wow. Imagine if I posted something really controversial.

His swing is quick, and most definatley effective. But there is just something about it that bugs me. As I said in my original post, I can't really explain why it irritates me. Its most likely irrational, that's for sure.

Maybe it's that little way he sorta throws the bat down and looks all "intense" after his swing that really irks me.

RANDY IN INDY
06-21-2007, 08:22 AM
Have to agree that Manny's swing is one of the more picturesque righthanded swings in the game today.

dabvu2498
06-21-2007, 08:26 AM
I used to hate Fred McGriff's swing.

15fan
06-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Slammin' Sammy Sosa!!!!

Guess it's not so much the swing as it is that stupid skip-to-my-lou dance that he does after it.

Jpup
06-21-2007, 09:57 AM
I haven't been able to stand watching Andruw Jones swing this year. It seems like with every swing he's using every bit of energy in his body just to try to hit a homerun.

I've only watched a handful of Braves games though, but in those few I've seen him fall to one knee while swinging out of his shoes in at least 5 different at bats.

Jones has always done that.

15fan
06-21-2007, 10:09 AM

Yep. But it's gotten much more pronounced the last couple of years.

Kind of like the way Bret Boone's swing kept getting worse as his tenure in Cincinnati dragged on.

M2
06-21-2007, 10:12 AM

Me too. If someone asked me who's got the best looking swing in baseball, my answer, without hesitation, would be Manny Ramirez.

membengal
06-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Jim Furyk.

Roy Tucker
06-21-2007, 10:13 AM
David Ross' swing has a hiccup in mid-swing like it hits a bump in the road. Plus he can't hit the outside pitch and fastballs overmatch him.

Besides that, he's OK.

smith288
06-21-2007, 10:24 AM
There is the prettiest swing of all... My son Camden. :)

http://www.impactactionphotos.com/mp_photos/11990/MP8R8137t.jpg

westofyou
06-21-2007, 10:44 AM
David Ross' swing has a hiccup in mid-swing like it hits a bump in the road. Plus he can't hit the outside pitch and fastballs overmatch him.

Besides that, he's OK.

Ross has the Piazza approach, all upper body, steady legs.. I hate upper body only swings and my least fave Reds swing of recent years was Olmedo, who looked like he was running up to chop wood from the back of the batters box.

RANDY IN INDY
06-21-2007, 11:18 AM

Very nice, smith. Flat hands, meeting the ball out in front. Good leg position.
I like that very much.

Big Klu
06-21-2007, 11:39 AM
Slammin' Sammy Sosa!!!!

Guess it's not so much the swing as it is that stupid skip-to-my-lou dance that he does after it.

Pitchers should hop when they strike Sosa out. That would get it started! :evil:

KronoRed
06-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Gary Sheffield

smith288
06-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Very nice, smith. Flat hands, meeting the ball out in front. Good leg position.
I like that very much.
Why thank you...thank you very much.

I dont know what clicked for him. What he was doing was when the pitch would come, sorta start the bat forward slowly then just try to meet the bat with the ball...wasnt getting good hard contact and was pushing every meek hit to 1st for the easy out.

I told him a few days ago to meet the ball out in front of the plate and swing hard regardless if he hits it or not.

I guess he took the advice. He scattered the parents on one foul ball last night.

:lol:

StillFunkyB
06-21-2007, 07:33 PM
I am going to throw Vladi G out there...

He probably does everything that your little league coach told you not to do at the plate, but yet he is one of the better hitters out there.

...and if we are including past players, does anyone remember Jose Oquendo? Now that was ugly.

HumnHilghtFreel
06-21-2007, 07:36 PM

I guess I noticed it more since he's struggled so much this year.

Rojo
06-21-2007, 07:44 PM
Ross has the Piazza approach, all upper body, steady legs.. I hate upper body only swings and my least fave Reds swing of recent years was Olmedo, who looked like he was running up to chop wood from the back of the batters box.

God, Piazza was the first person I thought of for that very reason. He just stands there, whips his arms around and hits pop-ups that carry out of the park (or used to). Uuuuugly.

I am going to throw Vladi G out there...

I can see what you're saying. But for some reason, he's one of my favorite guys to watch at the dish. Maybe its because he's so unstudied. Clemente-ish.

RedEye
06-21-2007, 09:16 PM
\
Least fav LH swing: Hamilton, although very effective, it's not pretty, and that is all I am basing this off of. (The Mayor is close here, and Felix Pie)

Really? I think Josh has a great-looking swing. What is ugly about it?

Highlifeman21
06-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Jim Furyk.

It doesn't look good going to the top, by any means, but from the top down, it's one of the best in the biz. He's probably the best full wedge shot player on Tour right now, which surprised the hell out of me during the open when he pulled out the Big Stick on 17 and tried to drive the green, instead of putting himself in the fairway at his perfect full wedge distance giving himself what should have been a gimmie birdie.

But, back to baseball players....

For whatever reason, I've thought Adam LaRoche looks pretty good from the LHB perspective, and I've always been a KGJ fan from that side as well.

I won't lie, Ichiro looks horrible to me on the LHB side. Dunno why, but wow does it just look ugly to me.

On the RHB side, I love David Wright's swing, as well as the previously mentioned Planet ManRam.

On the flip side, I won't lie, I think Brett Boone had one of the ugliest RHB swings ever.

Ever.

Thoughts?

smith288
06-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Jose Conseco's death choke of the bat was ugly

BoydsOfSummer
06-22-2007, 01:24 AM
Mine. From both sides.

Highlifeman21
06-22-2007, 08:02 AM

Camden?

You named your son after the most dangerous city in the country? Camden, NJ?

All kidding aside, great picture, and I wish I had that swing when I was his age. Maybe I wouldn't have switched to golf!

smith288
06-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Camden?

All kidding aside, great picture, and I wish I had that swing when I was his age. Maybe I wouldn't have switched to golf!
Actually, we named him Camden because my wife saw some "Baby Story" episode on TLC and liked the name. On that show, they were Oriole's fans i think.

So at least its rooted to a nice stadium.

I wish I had that swing then too. So little I knew back then I hope I can clue him in on all the things I wish I knew at the time.

I cant believe nobody told me to meet the ball out in front...that is like, the first thing we should be telling these kids.

Big Klu
06-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Camden?

I'll bet he has brothers named Detroit, Washington, and Youngstown! :D

Rojo
06-22-2007, 04:52 PM
I'll bet he has brothers named Detroit, Washington, and Youngstown! :D

And East St. Louis.