PDA

View Full Version : GM/Manager....where is the line

dfs
06-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Of course the owner is ultimately responsible. I think both Carl and Marge showed that.

Where is the line between what the GM is responsible for and what the manager is responsible for?

Is Juan Castro around because Jerry Narron wants a Gene Mauch style professional bench where there is designated "glove guy" to play late season defence? Or is Juan Castro around because Wayne Krivsky thought he was the best option for the reds as well as a personal coach for Edwin? Now remember, it may seem like a small thing but having Juan Castro on the roster cost the reds the chance to keep Brendan Harris and give him any playing time at all.

Likewise, the bullpen, Sure Krivsky acquired all those old guys and spent the money on them, but ...two GM's in a row did that. Is that because both GM's were thinking up the same tree (or stinking up the same tree) or is that because the manager said..."these are the type of players I want."

I think the relationship between the two matters a whole lot more than the individual responsibilities. We saw that with Jim Bowden. When Davey Johnson said...get me guys who get on base and play d....Bowden did it and it worked. When Ray Knight said get me gamers who want to play...that's what Bowden got him....When Jack McKeon was sorting through the talent in the system and said...we really need a center fielder, Bowden got him Mike Cameron.

Where's the line? Who is responsible for what? What I see right now is the reds as a franchise, as an organization, need to sort through who can play and who can't. They need to give developmental time to guys and let them sort things out. Instead we have a manager who plays for matchups and tries to get every little advantage he can in order to win today's game. Sometimes those decisions lead to insane things like pinch hitting for Josh Hamilton with a guy who has no business swinging a bat.

There are some fairly obvious things that we need to see. Let Baily pitch. Deal Hatteberg and plug in Votto. Let Lohse go and decide which of Saarloos/Dumatrait/Livingston get those starts. Those are the easy ones, but beyond that a decision has to be made about the corner outfielders. Is Brandon Phillips going to be worth an arbitration contract? A non-arbitration contract? How much input does Jerry Narron have on those decisions? I would wager a good bit.

Redsland
06-21-2007, 12:09 PM
In general, the GM constructs the roster and the manager deploys it.

In cases where the GM and manager have a good working relationship, like Krivsky and Narron appear to, it's probably the case that the manager can request a player or a type of player, and the GM will try to go out and get him. But I suspect that type of acquisition is the exception rather than the rule. I would think that most players are either "found" by the scouting department, or "targeted" by the GM and his staff. We know that's what happened in the case of Josh Hamilton.

In terms of deployment, Krivsky has said that it's up to Narron to use the roster as he sees fit. So Krivsky isn't telling Narron where to play Griffey, or how to utilize Castro. I interpret that to mean that Krivsky believes he has supplied Narron with all the tools he needs (and/or has requested).

And yes, that scares me.