PDA

View Full Version : Brantley on Homer Bailey

Matt700wlw
06-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Dayton Daily News

Jeff Brantley on Homer Bailey:

"Best pitcher on the staff. He loves his curveball, but it isn't a big-league pitch, but that's how you learn. He's highly competitive and he is the only pitcher on the Reds staff I've seen who makes pitches according to how he sees the batters swing."

Joseph
06-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Praise for Homer, or an indictment on Harang and co?

RedEye
06-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Dayton Daily News

"Best pitcher on the staff. He loves his curveball, but it isn't a big-league pitch, but that's how you learn. He's highly competitive and he is the only pitcher on the Reds staff I've seen who makes pitches according to how he sees the batters swing."

I thought Homer's curve was a 12-6 and almost major league ready when we drafted him. Wasn't his change-up the one that needed help when he was in the minors?

creek14
06-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Not talking about this comment, but I have to say that Jeff Brantley has done as much to (start to) ruin this baseball season for me as Jerry Narron has.

Matt700wlw
06-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Not talking about this comment, but I have to say that Jeff Brantley has done as much to (start to) ruin this baseball season for me as Jerry Narron has.

Huh?

Please explain.

Aronchis
06-22-2007, 03:30 PM
I thought Homer's curve was a 12-6 and almost major league ready when we drafted him. Wasn't his change-up the one that needed help when he was in the minors?

Hardly. His 12/6 curve was considered to have "elite potential" but not yet developed. His changeup pretty much didn't exist.

I don't mind guys that are late blooming putting the whole package together. Health wise, it has its advantages.

Roy Tucker
06-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Huh?

Please explain.

I can't speak for creek, but its getting to be the same for me.

I realize the Reds are playing badly. I can see and hear it. I don't mind it being commented on. But Brantley beats it over the listeners head to the point of abuse.

I don't want him to go all George Grande, but for cripe's sake, I like to derive a *little* enjoyment from the game. Make your point and move on.

Matt700wlw
06-22-2007, 03:37 PM

I realize the Reds are playing badly. I can see and hear it. I don't mind it being commented on. But Brantley beats it over the listeners head to the point of abuse.

I don't want him to go all George Grande, but for cripe's sake, I like to derive a *little* enjoyment from the game. Make your point and move on.

I don't think he's been that bad....I think he's pretty much been right on. I don't think he's said anything that we haven't said...

However, that's why we have opinions.

Let's not get off on a rant :D

Chip R
06-22-2007, 03:44 PM

First of all, I think that statement by Brantley is hyperbole at its best.

Secondly, I think Brantley needs to be cut somewhat of a break since this is his first year doing play by play. He's kind of rough around the edges but who wouldn't be?

Thirdly, his main focus is on the pitching. This pitching could make a grown man cry.

lollipopcurve
06-22-2007, 03:44 PM
If Brantley thinks Bailey reads hitters better than Arroyo or Weathers, for example, he's crazy. Same old ESPN school of blowhard opinionating.

Homer has a few bad outings and Brantley will be saying he never should have been called up.

The only Reds combo I can listen to is Grande and Welsh.

Matt700wlw
06-22-2007, 03:55 PM
If Brantley thinks Bailey reads hitters better than Arroyo or Weathers, for example, he's crazy. Same old ESPN school of blowhard opinionating.

Homer has a few bad outings and Brantley will be saying he never should have been called up.

I doubt that.

StillFunkyB
06-22-2007, 03:57 PM
I didn't like Brantley on ESPN, and I really don't like him on RoR.

I don't mind Thom, he can be a little much at times with his opinions (like father like son) but he does a good job with calling the game IMHO.

traderumor
06-22-2007, 04:14 PM
I like Brantley, which is shocking considering I didn't care for him on ESPN. I think it is the pitching analysis he is bringing, the above comment notwithstanding, but heck, is it not true that the Reds chuckers throw it thigh high down the middle of the plate and then look perplexed when the fans are catching it in the seats, while Bailey seems to be aiming and hitting down and away at the knees with increasing regularity?

Matt700wlw
06-22-2007, 04:15 PM
I like Brantley, which is shocking considering I didn't care for him on ESPN. I think it is the pitching analysis he is bringing, the above comment notwithstanding, but heck, is it not true that the Reds chuckers throw it thigh high down the middle of the plate and then look perplexed when the fans are catching it in the seats?

Some people don't like the truth.....it can be painful.

Johnny Footstool
06-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Bailey's curve is deadly. Brantley saying it isn't a big-league pitch is utterly ludicrous.

pedro
06-22-2007, 04:19 PM
I wasn't a fan of Brantley on ESPN but I too have liked him better than I thought I would as a Reds announcer. I agree he's not great on PBP and that sometimes he gets a little too indignant when things on the field don't happen in the manner that he thinks they should, but overall I think he's been OK. I like him more than Thom anyway.

dabvu2498
06-22-2007, 04:29 PM
I wasn't a fan of Brantley on ESPN but I too have liked him better than I thought I would as a Reds announcer. I agree he's not great on PBP and that sometimes he gets a little too indignant when things on the field don't happen in the manner that he thinks they should, but overall I think he's been OK. I like him more than Thom anyway.

I agree. And I think he'll get better on PBP, eventually.

The best thing about him is that once in a while he'll throw something out there that alot of people who aren't as perceptive/knowledgable wouldn't see... for example... the one that sticks in my mind is a Sunday game way back in April vs. the Phils. From the 1st inning, Brantley was talking about Freddy Garcia really throwing "max effort" and saying that he wouldn't be around long, even if he were cruising. Turns out, he was right. Garcia only threw 5 innings and may have gotten to 90 pitches and 2 runs, IIRC.

There have been some others, but I can't recall right off the top of my head.

smith288
06-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Brantley's PBP is atrocious...inconsistent at best.

Was on my way home from work one day and caught the middle of the inning vs. the A's. He was dry as a desert and refused to clue me in what the score was, what inning and where the momentum of the game was going.

The Reds were in front at the time and just took out McBeth so I figured there would be at least a minimal bit of excitement.

I felt like we lost (we eventually did) right when I joined the broadcast.

lollipopcurve
06-22-2007, 04:46 PM
the one that sticks in my mind is a Sunday game way back in April vs. the Phils. From the 1st inning, Brantley was talking about Freddy Garcia really throwing "max effort" and saying that he wouldn't be around long, even if he were cruising.

First time I heard him was in April in the game Ted Lilly shut down the Reds. Brantley was declaring from early in the game that Lilly was way too predictable and that the Reds would soon hammer him. The declarations stopped in about the 5th inning....

He has some nice insights, but he forces it way too much. It's like he's trying to show off his expertise -- these stabs at clairvoyance or macho denunciation -- and while it may sound interesting, give the player or the game some time and what he said doesn't seem so right after all.

fearofpopvol1
06-22-2007, 05:01 PM
I like Brantley, which is shocking considering I didn't care for him on ESPN.

Same here.

jojo
06-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Bailey's curve is deadly. Brantley saying it isn't a big-league pitch is utterly ludicrous.

I think Brantley's point is that good stuff will get you signed while command will get you to the dance. IMHO, Homer has the best stuff on the staff. He has yet to show consistent major league command of his arsenal.

Matt700wlw
06-22-2007, 05:56 PM
I think Brantley's point is that good stuff will get you signed while command will get you to the dance. IMHO, Homer has the best stuff on the staff. He has yet to show consistent major league command of his arsenal.

Sounds about right. The rest will come with time and experience (at least that's the hope)

jojo
06-22-2007, 05:57 PM
For me, Brantley is brilliant when he's talking about pitching mechanics/pitch strategy etc. He's pretty much a dud when he talks about everything else. Really if he talked less he'd be rookie of the year.

GAC
06-22-2007, 06:01 PM

My sentiments exactly. He sometimes goes a little overboard in his PBP in trying to explain each and every pitch. It's like he doesn't want to leave any detail out. But overall I like him.

But he really doesn't have a radio voice, and that could be his downfall at some point.

Fire Pole and make him our pitching coach. :D

OnBaseMachine
06-22-2007, 06:03 PM

Yep. Yeah, he can't throw it for a strike everytime, but it is one of the best curveballs in the game when he is on. My jaw dropped to the floor on that curve he threw to strikeout Cust in the 7th inning on Tuesday night. That pitch is flat out filthy. I have also been impressed with his changeup too.

jojo
06-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Yep. Yeah, he can't throw it for a strike everytime, but it is one of the best curveballs in the game when he is on.

Which is why he throws maybe three a game.

My jaw dropped to the floor on that curve he threw to strikeout Cust in the 7th inning on Tuesday night. That pitch is flat out filthy. I have also been impressed with his changeup too.

It was a good one. It's just not a good one often enough yet. Ideally, he'd still be in AAA IMHO. But he is fun to watch pitch.

That said regarding both the heat and the curve, Homer wishes he was Felix Hernandez.

Matt700wlw
06-22-2007, 06:27 PM

It was a good one. It's just not a good one often enough yet. Ideally, he'd still be in AAA IMHO. But he is fun to watch pitch.

That said regarding both the heat and the curve, Homer wishes he was Felix Hernandez.

I don't want to start up the if Homer should be here or not debate again, but he'll be fine up here....in AAA, guys will swing at that curveball that's out of the zone...up here they won't.

He has to learn that somewhere.

jojo
06-22-2007, 06:28 PM
I don't want to start up the if Homer should be here or not debate again, but he'll be fine up here....in AAA, guys will swing at that curveball that's out of the zone...up here they won't.

He has to learn that somewhere.

Then he should start throwing it alot more.

Matt700wlw
06-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Then he should start throwing it alot more.

Hopefully, over time, he will.

OnBaseMachine
06-22-2007, 06:32 PM

Could you please stop with the "so and so" from the Reds wishes he was as good as so and so from the Mariners? That's about the fifth time in the last week you have did that. You would think the Mariners were the best team in baseball by the way you talk about them around here.

jojo
06-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Could you please stop with the "so and so" from the Reds wishes he was as good as so and so from the Mariners? That's about the fifth time in the last week you have did that. You would think the Mariners were the best team in baseball by the way you talk about them around here.

You said Homer has one ofthe best curves in baseball. That simply isn't true. Albiet you qualified your statement with "when he's on". But he has yet to be on with it. Until Homer starts throwing it consistently where he wants it to go (aka King Felix), Homer's curve is simply just another pitch.

Concerning your other comment, I've maybe have said that five times since joining the zone (maybe). All would've been in reference to Felix or Ichiro and always to make a point about an exceptional trait. True I'm an Ms fan and a Reds fan. I've been looking forward to this weekend since the schedule was released. Also, there are several tie ins between the two organisations Jr notwithstanding. So you'll have to excuse the Mariners references. I suppose I can forgive your lack of enduring love for the Ms, but I don't understand it.... :cool:

OnBaseMachine
06-22-2007, 07:12 PM
You said Homer has one ofthe best curves in baseball. That simply isn't true. Albiet you qualified your statement with "when he's on". But he has yet to be on with it. Until Homer starts throwing it consistently where he wants it to go (aka King Felix), Homer's curve is simply just another pitch.

Concerning your other comment, I've maybe have said that five times since joining the zone (maybe). All would've been in reference to Felix or Ichiro and always to make a point about an exceptional trait. True I'm an Ms fan and a Reds fan. I've been looking forward to this weekend since the schedule was released. Also, there are several tie ins between the two organisations Jr notwithstanding. So you'll have to excuse the Mariners references. I suppose I can forgive your lack of enduring love for the Ms, but I don't understand it.... :cool:

Forgetting the Adam Jones has more trade value than Adam Dunn comment? Or the Jay Bruce wishes he was Adam Jones comment?;)

jojo
06-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Forgetting the Adam Jones has more trade value than Adam Dunn comment? Or the Jay Bruce wishes he was Adam Jones comment?;)

Adam Jones does have more trade value than Dunn. I didn't say that Dunn wished he was Jones though. That said, Jones is major league ready. Bruce does wish he was Jones in that sense.

Anyway prepare to witness the awesome power that is the Puget Sound wind (aka leftfield at Safeco)... I bet Milton wishes he pitched in Safeco.... :mooner:

dougdirt
06-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Adam Jones does have more trade value than Dunn. I didn't say that Dunn wished he was Jones though. That said, Jones is major league ready. Bruce does wish he was Jones in that sense.

Anyway prepare to witness the awesome power that is the Puget Sound wind (aka leftfield at Safeco)... I bet Milton wishes he pitched in Safeco.... :mooner:

Jay is a year and a half younger than Jones is though.... Jones is very good. Bruce is better. JMO.

jojo
06-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Jay is a year and a half younger than Jones is though.... Jones is very good. Bruce is better. JMO.

HOMER..... :cool:

CrackerJack
06-22-2007, 07:53 PM
I like Brantley, which is shocking considering I didn't care for him on ESPN. I think it is the pitching analysis he is bringing, the above comment notwithstanding, but heck, is it not true that the Reds chuckers throw it thigh high down the middle of the plate and then look perplexed when the fans are catching it in the seats, while Bailey seems to be aiming and hitting down and away at the knees with increasing regularity?

I respect Brantley's pitching observations as well, it's the glossy cliches and generalities that get old, but that's typical of today's canned, corporate style, ecspecially from former athletes who are used to playing robot on the air.

Yet I don't know what he means by "Homer loves his curveball."

It's a nice looking pitch for him, but he can't locate it at this point it seems. Not sure why he loves something he hardly ever seems to use.

RedEye
06-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Dayton Daily News

I don't mind Jeff Brantley as a PBP guy, but this comment is outright contradictory. First, he says that Homer is the best pitcher on the staff, but then he basically says he only has one major league pitch. Now, I realize the Reds are not the best pitching team out there, but there is no way these two observations make sense side-by-side because that would imply that NO other pitchers on the Reds staff have more than one ML-level pitch. I think Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo, Kyle Lohse and Matt Belisle all might have something to say about that. You don't put up quality starts in the big leagues without at least two quality big league pitches IMO (unless you are Tim Wakefield).

Superdude
06-22-2007, 11:25 PM
Bailey over Harang? Come on Jeff. :nono:

dougdirt
06-23-2007, 01:18 AM
HOMER..... :cool:

Adam Jones is a much better outfielder than Homer is.... :thumbup:

GAC
06-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Bailey has potential, that is obvious. I'll wait and see - still a pretty small window for a kid that is still learning to pitch at the ML level.

creek14
06-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Huh?

Please explain.

Explain what? I don't like him. I don't like raw carrots. I don't like Katie Couric. I don't like bridges. There are just some things I don't like. Brantley is one of them. If he's on the radio, I turn on the TV. If he's on the TV, I turn on the radio. He might be a saint who feeds the hungry and shelters the homeless, but as a baseball guy, I don't like him.

dougdirt
06-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Explain what? I don't like him. I don't like raw carrots. I don't like Katie Couric. I don't like bridges. There are just some things I don't like. Brantley is one of them. If he's on the radio, I turn on the TV. If he's on the TV, I turn on the radio. He might be a saint who feeds the hungry and shelters the homeless, but as a baseball guy, I don't like him.

The mere term 'baseball guy' now makes me dislike people a little more since that is what Jerry Narron refers to himself as.

jojo
06-23-2007, 11:29 AM
The mere term 'baseball guy' now makes me dislike people a little more since that is what Jerry Narron refers to himself as.

Narron has soured you on the human race? :D

dougdirt
06-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Narron has soured you on the human race? :D

you know it buddy.

I meant to say dislike people that are called 'baseball guys', but oh well.

Falls City Beer
06-23-2007, 03:54 PM
I see nothing at all wrong with Brantley's comments. I found them interesting.

REDREAD
06-23-2007, 03:55 PM

IMO, Brantley sounds like a cheerleader compared to the Brennaman boys.
I really enjoy getting his insight, as opposed to empty hot air. At least Brantley will base his opinion on how the guy is throwing, etc. I feel he's added a lot of value to the broadcast team. But I can respect your opinion. I think he's EASILY the best radio broadcaster.