PDA

View Full Version : What if Junior never left Seattle...

Matt700wlw
06-23-2007, 01:31 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/070622

dougdirt
06-23-2007, 01:44 AM
Then I wouldnt get to see him play as much as I do.

missionhockey21
06-23-2007, 01:45 AM
Wait, where is the part about Griffey curing cancer and figuring out how to get red wine out of a white shirt while still wearing it and not getting the shirt wet if he stayed in Seattle? I really can't stand articles like this on so many levels (and while I am sure being a Reds fans have something to do with it, I just can't take fluff like this.) Wondering how a player would of been without injury, ala Mantle, is one thing and reasonable to consider.... assuming a player in his 30's with a beaten up body from wear and tear of playing at the Kingdome from a very young 19 would never get injured, move to the DH without complaint, and would fall in line with every projection that we all would of liked to seen Griffey achieve is just ridiculous (even for a fluff piece.) The situation might be plausible had the Reds placed a wicked spell on Griffey to cause all of this, but they didn't. You might as well argue that if Griffey took a cab to the ballpark before the first hamstring injury, he might of had 5 extra minutes to stretch, stand three inches to the left of where he ended up standing and would currently be at 720 as the path was never started.

Matt700wlw
06-23-2007, 01:47 AM
Wait, where is the part about Griffey curing cancer and figuring out how to get red wine out of a white shirt while still wearing it and not getting the shirt wet if he stayed in Seattle? I really can't stand articles like this on so many levels (and while I am sure being a Reds fans have something to do with it, I just can't take fluff like this.) Wondering how a player would of been without injury, ala Mantle, is one thing and reasonable to consider.... assuming a player in his 30's with a beaten up body from wear and tear of playing at the Kingdome from a very young 19 would never get injured, move to the DH without complaint, and would fall in line with every projection that we all would of liked to seen Griffey achieve is just ridiculous (even for a fluff piece.) The situation might be plausible had the Reds placed a wicked spell on Griffey to cause all of this, but they didn't. You might as well argue that if Griffey took a cab to the ballpark before the first hamstring injury, he might of had 5 extra minutes to stretch, stand three inches to the left of where he ended up standing and would currently be at 720 as the path was never started.

Without injury, that article could be accurate....despite what uniform he's wearing.

It could have happened here, and this town would have never been the same.

Mario-Rijo
06-23-2007, 01:52 AM
He never should have!!!

Just imagine if the shoe was on the other foot, would we be as forgiving as M's fans? I wouldn't be, can't help it, my allegiance is to the Reds and not necc. any one player anymore.

I have always felt that if he wanted to leave he should have done it as soon as he had the opportunity and not continue to have fans invest so much in him. Maybe he felt he gave them plenty and perhaps he did but the greatest thing you could do to return such great loyalty is to simply return the favor.

missionhockey21
06-23-2007, 01:57 AM
Without injury, that article could be accurate....despite what uniform he's wearing.

It could have happened here, and this town would have never been the same.
Doing a what-if statistical article of Griffey based on his trends before the injury and factoring in old age and the quality of pitching for those years is one thing, like I said that is fluff and it's just not my cup of tea. Of course you are correct and the underlining main point of where he would be at the record books is a fair assessment, I wasn't discounting Griffey, just the silly nature of that article as arguing injuries is doable but situations lead to the injury is just getting petty.

KronoRed
06-23-2007, 04:28 AM
I hate when Caple tries to be funny.

TeamCasey
06-23-2007, 10:42 AM
As GAC said, Redszone may not exist.

smith288
06-23-2007, 10:59 AM
If he averaged homeruns in Cincy, what he averaged during his time in Seattle (around 39) , griffey would be around 687 homeruns.

Averaging 39 would have been pretty easy and conservative so I upped it to 45 hr/yr as a pretty agressive number and that takes him to around 758.

SunDeck
06-23-2007, 11:08 AM
http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Mptv/1228/5374_0035.jpg

jojo
06-23-2007, 11:13 AM
If he averaged homeruns in Cincy, what he averaged during his time in Seattle (around 39) , griffey would be around 687 homeruns.

Averaging 39 would have been pretty easy and conservative so I upped it to 45 hr/yr as a pretty agressive number and that takes him to around 758.

I think it's possible that without Jr's injuries, nobody would be talking about Bonds right now and maybe steroids would be the dirty family secret that everyone knows but pretends they dont.

westofyou
06-23-2007, 11:50 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2007/06/23/SPG3AQKC1V1.DTL

We all know Bonds was a Hall of Famer long before the steroid controversy kicked in, but for a long while, Ken Griffey was the game's true genius, the man who would make the most historical difference. Then the injuries piled up, and Bonds just kept going, and Griffey became a sympathetic, what-if kind of character. But just look at him now, healthy and closing in on his 600th homer. The swing has never been prettier. He won't catch Bonds, but he's infinitely more dignified ...

Redsland
06-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Yep.

RFS62
06-23-2007, 01:28 PM

And when you think of Gallagher, you'd just be thinking of a guy who smashes watermelons with a mallet.

KronoRed
06-23-2007, 01:30 PM

Nah, it would have come into existence for Dunn instead :evil:

vaticanplum
06-23-2007, 02:49 PM
There are no what ifs in life. They can be fun to speculate on for a few minutes, especially in a historical context, but any more attention to the question is only damaging, I think.

Chip R
06-23-2007, 02:56 PM
He never should have!!!

Just imagine if the shoe was on the other foot, would we be as forgiving as M's fans? I wouldn't be, can't help it, my allegiance is to the Reds and not necc. any one player anymore.

We were when Pete Rose came back as well as Eric Davis.

Mario-Rijo
06-23-2007, 06:40 PM
We were when Pete Rose came back as well as Eric Davis.

Neither of those situations was a decision that was forced by the player(s). That was all managments doing.

Tony Cloninger
06-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Why would Reds Zone not exist....are you telling me these people are not real Reds fans.....but just Griffey lovers? Were you being serious?

Caveat Emperor
06-23-2007, 06:46 PM
There are no what ifs in life. They can be fun to speculate on for a few minutes, especially in a historical context, but any more attention to the question is only damaging, I think.

You could drive yourself mad wondering "what if" about every decision in your life.

Griffey is one of the greatest ballplayers of all time. Since you can't conclusively answer, ever, who the greatest of all time is, I think he (and everyone else) should be quite satisfied being in their company.

WVRed
02-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Why would Reds Zone not exist....are you telling me these people are not real Reds fans.....but just Griffey lovers? Were you being serious?

Can't believe im bumping up a three year old thread, but I did find it interesting reading about Gallagher again.

Most of the original posters here came from the Cincinnati.com message board, which was never moderated. This all happened during the Griffey trade and there were a lot of Mariner and Cardinal fans who came over and posted smack. There were a lot of good posters (and still are), but it became a headache sifting through posts that consisted of "Whiffey is not your savior, have a nice day:)) to read something more intelligent.

Boss and GIK started this site on an EZBoard format for about the first year before it went to the design you see now. It actually gave us a place to chat about Reds baseball in a knowledgable way rather than having opposing fans coming over and spamming the board.

On another topic, wonder whatever happened to Nux? :)

Tony Cloninger
02-11-2010, 11:22 AM
I was reading all these posts and then I saw mine....and I thought....When the heck did I post that? Was I sleep typing? Drunk again? I did not realize this was from a few years ago. Thanks! :D

reds44
02-11-2010, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't be a Reds fan if the Griffey trade didn't happen. I don't think that makes me not a real Reds fan.

Tony Cloninger
02-11-2010, 01:52 PM
I did not say you are or not.....but there are people who are only fans of a team beacuse of 1 player.