PDA

View Full Version : Question for the approaching deadline.

Highlifeman21
06-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Who's more insane, me for thinking the Mets might consider a Griffey for Milledge deal straight up, or the Food & Beverage Manager at my golf course (who happens to be a DIEHARD Mets fan) for thinking that the Mets would be stupid to not do that deal right now?

While I'm not 100% sure Griffey would accept a trade to the Mets, the Mets would be able to afford his contract, and would certainly help their OF woes due to injury.

Given the uncertainty of Adam Dunn's future in Cincinnati, I would love to see a future OF comprised of Hamilton, Bruce and Milledge circa 2009.

Thoughts?

Mario-Rijo
06-23-2007, 07:24 PM
My 1st thought is how dire is their situation? My 2nd thought is yeah I would do it, but I don't think the Reds would do it right now and I doubt Griffey would ok it. Just my gut reaction.

Highlifeman21
06-23-2007, 07:28 PM
My 1st thought is how dire is their situation? My 2nd thought is yeah I would do it, but I don't think the Reds would do it right now and I doubt Griffey would ok it. Just my gut reaction.

Like I said, he's a diehard Mets fan, so I would hope he'd know their OF depth. He says they have issues. His exact words "I hope we end up getting Griffey, we'd be stupid not to offer Lastings straight up. I'd do that deal yesterday. We need another bat with Beltran in the OF."

Do you think Griffey for Milledge straight up is a better trade for us, or the Mets?

At this point in Griffey's career, I wanna say it would be a better trade for us.

But then again, I may be the one insane.

TOBTTReds
06-23-2007, 07:49 PM
I think the Mets win big time. They won't get anything for him. The guy is a bad apple all the way around. I don't think anyone really wants him. I would be furious if this happened, no offense to you though HLM21, bc I understand why this would be a possibility. I wouldn't touch Milledge with a 10 foot taser gun.

RedEye
06-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Sheffield was thought a bad apple early in his career as well. He may still have some issues, but he certainly turned around his performance on the field. While I don't know whether the Reds would do this trade, I don't think they'd turn it down just based on Lastings' attitude.

Highlifeman21
06-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Based on the lack of interest in this thread, I apologize to the board for wasting its collective time.

Maybe I am crazy to want Lastings Milledge instead of KGJ.

Falls City Beer
06-24-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm in no way a Milledge fan, but if I could get an arm as the centerpiece in the deal for Griffey, I'd throw in a Travis Wood to nab Milledge in return. If for no other reason than to have a higher profile trading chip for later use.

membengal
06-24-2007, 01:12 PM
I'd be fine with that deal. A talent like Milledge is worth taking the chance, and would be a heckuva return for Jr.

Not that I am jonesing to deal Jr., just hoping if they do they maximize the return. Milledge would be maximized return in my opinion...

Highlifeman21
06-24-2007, 01:17 PM
I'm in no way a Milledge fan, but if I could get an arm as the centerpiece in the deal for Griffey, I'd throw in a Travis Wood to nab Milledge in return. If for no other reason than to have a higher profile trading chip for later use.

I don't think Travis Wood gets us in the same conversation to get Milledge as a throw in, if we're getting an arm for Griffey.

What arm from the Mets would you want, if it were an arm straight up for KGJ?

While I think Travis Wood has zero value to the Reds, even as a trading chip, I think he has even less value on the trade market.

mth123
06-24-2007, 02:45 PM
I don't know what to make of Milledge. I haven't seen him projected as a CF and his power numbers look a little lacking to be a corner. He's young so maybe more power will come and I'm not giving enough credit, but he smells like a good 4th OF who gets overhyped because he's a NY prospect. If Milledge is the best the team can do for a resurgent and buzz creating Griffey, I'd be disappointed.

Falls City Beer
06-24-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't think Travis Wood gets us in the same conversation to get Milledge as a throw in, if we're getting an arm for Griffey.

What arm from the Mets would you want, if it were an arm straight up for KGJ?

While I think Travis Wood has zero value to the Reds, even as a trading chip, I think he has even less value on the trade market.

I'd probably want Pelfrey--the dropoff after Pelfrey is so severe, however, that if I didn't get him for Griffey, I'd probably say forget about it with the Mets entirely and move on to another team. I'm just not high on what the Mets have to offer via prospects. I think Milledge is way more valuable as "potential" than real MLB production.

mth123
06-24-2007, 03:20 PM
I'd probably want Pelfrey--the dropoff after Pelfrey is so severe, however, that if I didn't get him for Griffey, I'd probably say forget about it with the Mets entirely and move on to another team. I'm just not high on what the Mets have to offer via prospects. I think Milledge is way more valuable as "potential" than real MLB production.

I agree and I'm suspicious of Pelfrey too. I'd probably want a "kicker" from the low minors to go with him.

Highlifeman21
06-24-2007, 03:23 PM

I definitely agree we should be shopping Griffey for an arm, however I just see Griffey playing out his contract with the Reds, and then signing a FA deal with an AL team who is an annual contender, has Spring Training in FL, to be a DH.

Unfortunately, it seems the teams that are "rich" in prospects don't look to be in the Griffey sweepstakes, if such contest even exists.

Falls City Beer
06-24-2007, 03:24 PM
I agree and I'm suspicious of Pelfrey too. I'd probably want a "kicker" from the low minors to go with him.

I'm absolutely suspicious of Pelfrey (and Bailey and Hughes, etc. etc.), but if the thinking in baseball front offices echoes the sentiments on this board (NEVER, EVER TRADE A HARD_THROWING MINOR LEAGUER ALL CAPS!!!!!!!!), then Pelfrey should be re-tradeable.

Falls City Beer
06-24-2007, 03:26 PM
I definitely agree we should be shopping Griffey for an arm, however I just see Griffey playing out his contract with the Reds, and then signing a FA deal with an AL team who is an annual contender, has Spring Training in FL, to be a DH.

Unfortunately, it seems the teams that are "rich" in prospects don't look to be in the Griffey sweepstakes, if such contest even exists.

I'd trade Griffey for a position player, just not Milledge straight-up.

Highlifeman21
06-24-2007, 03:45 PM
I'd trade Griffey for a position player, just not Milledge straight-up.

I'd trade Griffey for a SS or C straight up, depending on the player.

mth123
06-24-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm absolutely suspicious of Pelfrey (and Bailey and Hughes, etc. etc.), but if the thinking in baseball front offices echoes the sentiments on this board (NEVER, EVER TRADE A HARD_THROWING MINOR LEAGUER ALL CAPS!!!!!!!!), then Pelfrey should be re-tradeable.

Agree again. I'm more suspicious of Pelfrey than I am of other top pitching prospects though. I just don't trust NY hype. He should be re-tradeable but it probably wouldn't happen here until his value has dropped from a few failed attempts to establish him. I still want a low minors "kicker" to go with him.