PDA

View Full Version : Junior says he owes it to Seattle to retire as a Mariner!!!!!

red-in-la
06-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Just heard this from JR himself on the Seattle telecast. WOW!

Matt700wlw
06-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Griffey for Ichiro

:D

mth123
06-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Probably all the Reds would get is the Seattle equivalent of Tom Lawless.

I imagine he goes back for cheap in 2009.

JaxRed
06-24-2007, 05:24 PM
this would probably be one of those "sign for a day so you can retire" deals

corkedbat
06-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Trade him before his next AB for their top 5 prospects. :D

Steve4192
06-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Can't say I blame the guy.

When he was in Seattle, he was the most complete player of his generation and played the game with a rare Mays-like enthusiasm. After relocating to his hometown, he has devolved into a gimpy-legged defensive liability who can still rake on the few occasions he is healthy enough to take the field.

It's not his fault that his body gave out on him, and it really sucks that it worked out that way, but it is what it is. I will always remember Junior as a Mariner.

missionhockey21
06-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Griffey is an emotional guy, I wouldn't take this for all that much..... especially when the Mariners would want to make him an essential full-time DH.
(Not to mention he wouldn't be climbing up the HR rankings near as fast at SafeCo.)

OnBaseMachine
06-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Griffey for Wladimir Balentien or Adam Jones.:D

guttle11
06-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Good for him. At least he knows what he means to Seattle fans, and the feeling is mutual. I hope he does, really.

In the best of worlds, he hits #600 sometime in September and the Reds deal him back to Seattle in the offseason for a good young arm prospect. Griffey signs a one year extension and plays his last 2 years in Seattle.

Highlifeman21
06-24-2007, 05:55 PM
I guarantee that Griffey goes into the HOF as a Mariner.

MartyFan
06-24-2007, 06:14 PM
I couldn't imagine Junior not going into the HOF as a Mariner. The guys established his career there and has NEVER been appreciated in Cincy. Part of that is because his body fell apart and part of that is because the teams in Cincy have been really bad since he has been here.

I say, there has never really been a question of what hat he would wear into the Hall after his first season here.

I loved the idea of Junior coming to Cincy to help return the franchise to glory and obviously he did too. But as I have said on here before, the franchise sold him a pack of lies and then left him holding the bag. If any player in the game "deserves" a WS ring, it is Junior.

I hope he gets it because he is an unselfish team player...he is not a clubhouse leader, he is the ultimate team guy though.

camisadelgolf
06-24-2007, 06:18 PM
The only way I could see him possibly retiring as a Red would be if he were to consistently play like he's in his prime for a few years and hit the 700 mark.

Joseph
06-24-2007, 08:23 PM
I guarantee that Griffey goes into the HOF as a Mariner.

Thats like guaranteeing the rise of the sun tomorrow. It's a given. :)

Cyclone792
06-24-2007, 08:44 PM
The only way I could see him possibly retiring as a Red would be if he were to consistently play like he's in his prime for a few years and hit the 700 mark.

Whether the Reds ever trade Griffey or not, I suspect the 2008 season is the absolute last season we'll see Griffey in a Reds uniform. Even if Griffey continues his tear this season and also puts up a very nice season in 2008, I just can't imagine the Reds picking up that $16.5 million option for 2009. If they can't trade him, then I think the option will just be bought out and Griffey will sign on as a free agent somewhere else.

Matt700wlw
06-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Thats like guaranteeing the rise of the sun tomorrow. It's a given. :)

I gaurantee the Reds will not lose tomorrow

GAC
06-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Whether the Reds ever trade Griffey or not, I suspect the 2008 season is the absolute last season we'll see Griffey in a Reds uniform. Even if Griffey continues his tear this season and also puts up a very nice season in 2008, I just can't imagine the Reds picking up that $16.5 million option for 2009. If they can't trade him, then I think the option will just be bought out and Griffey will sign on as a free agent somewhere else.

I don't see them picking up that '09 option; but instead give him the 4 Mil buyout.

I could see him, if he wishes to prolong his career a few more years, of returning to the AL as a DH... and do quite well.

37red
06-24-2007, 09:11 PM
The Yankees are under .500, Griffey smacks a couple homers in Seattle, life is good.

smith288
06-24-2007, 09:33 PM
I dont see the problem with what he said. He is allowed to voice his intentions to where he would like to end his career.

Seattle has treated him like a king and im sure he loved that feeling. Cincy hasnt been so nice.

I think Griffey could kick puppies and Seattle would applaud him.

Matt700wlw
06-24-2007, 09:35 PM
I dont see the problem with what he said. He is allowed to voice his intentions to where he would like to end his career.

Seattle has treated him like a king and im sure he loved that feeling. Cincy hasnt been so nice.

I think Griffey could kick puppies and Seattle would applaud him.

Poor puppies

KronoRed
06-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Are they yankee puppies?

jojo
06-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Griffey for Wladimir Balentien or Adam Jones.:D

Balantien probably could be traded for..... Jones is untouchable.

BCubb2003
06-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Not that we want to relive it, but does anyone remember the magnitude of the bitterness when Griffey was in the midst of leaving Seattle?

harangatang
06-24-2007, 11:18 PM
I guarantee that Griffey goes into the HOF as a Mariner.The only way there is any chance Griffey doesn't IMO is if he wins a World Series ring. Considering the Reds chances aren't too good in the near future there's no chance of Griffey in a Cincy uniform.

sonny
06-24-2007, 11:33 PM
I just hope Junior gets a WS ring with ANYBODY then finishes as a Mariner. He has never taken a steriod in his life and him hoisting the trophy would be a great thing. The game of baseball and Griff deserve at least that.

RFS62
06-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Not that we want to relive it, but does anyone remember the magnitude of the bitterness when Griffey was in the midst of leaving Seattle?

No kidding.

Junior had better be careful what he wishes for.

I think he was completely amazed at the reception he got in Seattle this week. I'm sure he thought it would be positive, but how could anyone have predicted the outpouring of love he and his family received there.

He'd better leave well enough alone, and take the memory of a two dinger day with him as his farewell to Seattle.

How bad would it be if he went back there to all the fanfare he just received and tanked or got injured again?

He just wrote a perfect ending to his time in Seattle. It couldn't possibly get any better.

And the risk that it could go sour is very strong, IMO.

Watching Junior in decline isn't a pretty sight, as we know all too well. It's inevitable. It will happen when he finally loses his bat speed or gets injured again.

He just healed a lot of old wounds in the Pacific Northwest this weekend. Don't mess with it, Junior. You got it right this time.

westofyou
06-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Well, they sure the heck love him to death, if I wasn't there I wouldn't have believed it.

BTW, Dunn ran in from LF too

MWM
06-25-2007, 12:08 AM
No kidding.

I think he was completely amazed at the reception he got in Seattle this week. I'm sure he thought it would be positive, but how could anyone have predicted the outpouring of love he and his family received there.

He'd better leave well enough alone, and take the memory of a two dinger day with him as his farewell to Seattle.

How bad would it be if he went back there to all the fanfare he just received and tanked or got injured again?

He just wrote a perfect ending to his time in Seattle. It couldn't possibly get any better.

Watching Junior in decline isn't a pretty sight, as we know all too well. It's inevitable. It will happen when he finally loses his bat speed or gets injured again.

He just healed a lot of old wounds in the Pacific Northwest this weekend. Don't mess with it, Junior. You got it right this time.

I played golf Friday with a good friend of mine Friday from Seattle. He was pretty bitter when it happened, but has since softened and appreciates what he did for Seattle baseball. And I was also surprised when he told me Junior would get massive ovations. I just assumed he'd get a poor reception, but he told me that wouldn't happen. He was right.

He basically said there might not be baseball in Seattle without him.

harangatang
06-25-2007, 12:09 AM
If Junior wasn't injured all the time in a Reds uniform he'd probably be neck and neck with Bonds right now. It would have IMO been less memorable for both sides. At this point Junior would have moved on and Seattle fans would be jealous that this wasn't happening in a Mariners uniform.

red-in-la
06-25-2007, 12:25 AM
JR represents the ONLY legimate active 500 plus HR hitter right now. He is carrying baseball through the Bonds mess......

I am very afraid of what will happen when Bonds gets near or ties Aaron and Aaron won't have anything to do with the whole affair. I think the crucifiction in the press is going to be really, really bloody (in ink that is).

JR going back to Seattle, and letting fans at large relive JR in an M's uniform with every HR he hits shown over and over again on ESPN might be a ligimate distraction.

WVPacman
06-25-2007, 12:30 AM
Im sure alot will disagree with me but From what I seen with him during this series,I think without a doubt he should end his career in Seattle.He had a smile on his face the whole series and he was having a great time.When can you all honestly say you seen him happy and having a great time here in Cincy?? Sure he goes out and plays everygame but the happynest isn't there and he sure isn't having fun here.The Seattle fans cheered his everymove he made!! NOW when can you remember the last time our fans done that?? Maybe when he first got here but that was it.

This weekend's series showed me that Seattle wants him back and I really think Jr wants to go back so the reds should make this happen.Now I agree with what RFS62 said about the fans could turn on him again but I honestly think all those wounds have healed and what ever Griffey does IF he goes back that the fans would still appreciate him b/c he made what Seattle is today and they realise that.

harangatang
06-25-2007, 12:35 AM
And I was also surprised when he told me Junior would get massive ovations. I just assumed he'd get a poor reception, but he told me that wouldn't happen. He was right.

He basically said there might not be baseball in Seattle without him.It's not like things have gone right for Mariners fans so I can understand. The Mariners won 116 games in 2001 to get knocked out of the playoffs by the Yankees. Then the Diamondbacks beat the Yankees led by Randy Johnson whom was also one of those great players Seattle lost.

cincrazy
06-25-2007, 12:42 AM
The city of Cincinnati doesn't deserve Ken Griffey, Jr. It hurts to say that, but it's a fact. Too many people here scapegoated him for the incompetency of our front office, and blamed him for getting hurt, saying that he was dogging it.

Return home, Jr. Go where you're appreciated. You deserve, at the very least, that much.

37red
06-25-2007, 01:12 AM
No kidding.

This is all true. It all depends on the year and how his playing goes. I've been surprised how well he's done this year. It's a lot more fun watching him run without grabbing his leg and being laid up for a month. People are enjoying him here again, it's the rest of the team that is pulling attention from anyone at this point. It could be Ken Griffey Sr. and the stadium wouldn't fill up. I think the Seattle fans would hold their heads in their hands if he went down only a couple of weeks into the season and was back in surgery.

GIK
06-25-2007, 07:43 AM
From what I gathered from his additional comments, it doesn't sound like he'd like to be traded back to Seattle in the near future so I think there might be a bit too much anxiety from the OP.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylt=An4SlhN2fZ1CnxXLEzl9LIcRvLYF?gid=270624 112&prov=ap

The support was almost overwhelming for the slugger, who hinted he may return yet again to be a Mariner again before he retires.

Griffey didn't specify whether he would like to join Seattle as an active player or simply in a ceremonial contract signing. He is signed through 2008 with Cincinnati, part of a $116.5 million, nine-year deal he signed after the trade in February 2000, when he demanded a return to his hometown.

The Reds hold an option for $16.5 million in 2009, with a $4 million buyout.

"You always want to retire with the team you started with. I mean, you look at Emmitt Smith and everybody else," the 37-year-old former Seattle icon said.

Dressed in street clothes after the game, Cincinnati Reds' Ken Griffey Jr. talks to reporters after an MLB baseball game against the Seattle Mariners Sunday, June 24, 2007, at Safeco Field in Seattle. The three-game series, which ended Sunday with a 3-2 win by the Mariners over the Reds, was marked by two home runs hit by Griffey, which moved Griffey past Mark McGwire to seventh place in all-time home runs at 584.

The former Dallas Cowboys star running back came back from a stint with the Arizona Cardinals to sign again with Dallas and then retire.

"But I've still got a few more years," Griffey said. "So I don't think it's anytime soon."

When asked to clarify whether he'd like to play again for Seattle, Griffey said: "I don't know. That depends on a lot of things, health and everything else."

StillFunkyB
06-25-2007, 11:25 PM
No kidding.

:thumbup:

OTOH, I wouldn't mind one bit if when he was ready to retire he signed a one day contract with the Mariners, and retired. I don't think there is any argument that Griffey is a Mariner, and will go to the hall as one. It would have been nice to have things work out better here.

flyer85
06-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Jr sure made it sound like he would welcome a return to the Mariners. I really don't think there are a contender but Jr could give them a boost.

Seattle has an expendable catcher in AAA in Clement. Should the Reds be interested in a Jr for Clement and another prospect?

cumberlandreds
06-26-2007, 09:52 AM
I really don't think the Reds will trade Junior until after 600. They know the turnstiles will turn as he gets closer to 600. And I think it will be past the trading deadline when he goes by 600. So he will be here for the rest of this season.

flyer85
06-26-2007, 09:54 AM
I really don't think the Reds will trade Junior until after 600. ... not making a trade based on the above would be another sign of an organization more than content with losing.

BRM
06-26-2007, 09:55 AM
... not making a trade based on the above would be another sign of an organization more than content with losing.

How did that saying go? "There are caveats to winning"...or something like that.

flyer85
06-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Jr's statements on Sunday were an admission that coming to Cincinnati was a mistake. I saw his comments as a bit of campaigning for the M's to work out a deal to get him back.

registerthis
06-26-2007, 09:58 AM
... not making a trade based on the above would be another sign of an organization more than content with losing.

They aren't winning this year, or anytime soon for that matter. It wouldn't kill the franchise to have Griffey hit #600 as a Red. In fact, in the short term, it could cause more damage if he doesn't. If you want to see fan aggravation reach unprecedented levels, watch what happens when they trade Junior--sitting on 590-or-so HRs--for a pair of prospects.

registerthis
06-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Jr's statements on Sunday were an admission that coming to Cincinnati was a mistake.

You mean Cincinnati isn't the best place in the whole universe to play ball?

flyer85
06-26-2007, 10:02 AM
If you want to see fan aggravation reach unprecedented levels, watch what happens when they trade Junior--sitting on 590-or-so HRs--for a pair of prospects.... when the Reds start winning the fans will be back. Jr getting #600 in another uniform won't change that fact.

A lot of fans have become content with the losing and are more than happy to be part of a feel good story rather than trying to build a winner.

When the time comes(maybe) for the Reds to be a contender again Jr won't be a part(nor will a lot of others). Anyone not in the 2009 plans is expendable and trading them should be explored.

registerthis
06-26-2007, 10:12 AM
... when the Reds start winning the fans will be back. Jr getting #600 in another uniform won't change that fact.

And when is that going to start? I've been hearing that mantra repeated for years now.

Junior is one of the few bright spots on this season. Might as well enjoy it, unless some can't-possibly-be-true offer comes along for him. It's not like he becomes untradeable in the offseason.

A lot of fans have become content with the losing and are more than happy to be part of a feel good story rather than trying to build a winner.

Could that possibly be because the Reds FO has shown no inclination to understand *how* to build a winner? I can't blame them for searching out the small bright spots of joy that have arisen in this otherwise dreary decade. Heck, I'm enjoying it myself. Besides, while I support the idea of Junior being dealt, I have serious misgivings that the Reds will get anything of value for him. In spite of his performance thus far this year, Dunn's the biggest trading chit the Reds have, not Junior. Hang onto him and let him hit this milestone as a Red--it'd be about the only thing worth celebrating this year.

flyer85
06-26-2007, 10:17 AM
And when is that going to start? I've been hearing that mantra repeated for years now.... at a minimum, not until they quit making decisions based on nostalgia.

Hang onto him and let him hit this milestone as a Red--it'd be about the only thing worth celebrating this year.There is nothing worth celebrating this year. And for those who think the fact that #600 in a Reds uniform is big deal, I would say Jr whizzed on that parade with his comments on Sunday. He considers himself a Mariner.

I suppose I'm in the minority because I could care less what uniform Jr gets #600 in. I am looking for indications that this FO has some kind of clue about taking the steps to build a winner. I certainly have seen no indication that they have an idea and plan to act on it.

registerthis
06-26-2007, 10:49 AM
There is nothing worth celebrating this year.

I'd venture there are quite a number throughout Cincinnati and elsewhere that would disagree.

Like I said, I basically agree with you, insomuch as Junior has no long term role on this club, and the Reds would be foolish to not at least consider offers for him. But I don't see where the Reds gain anything by pushing to make a trade over the next month simply to get it done. If a truly outstanding offer is proposed, sure--go for it. But I don't see such an offer materializing, and trading Junior for a marginal return when he's this close to such a significant achievement could have a further devastating impact on the fanbase. The fans have already resigned themselves to a yet another futile season--Junior and Hamilton are about the only things worth cheering for at the moment.

KronoRed
06-26-2007, 12:09 PM

Ticken sales above all else:cool:

Matt700wlw
06-26-2007, 02:32 PM
The city of Cincinnati doesn't deserve Ken Griffey, Jr. It hurts to say that, but it's a fact. Too many people here scapegoated him for the incompetency of our front office, and blamed him for getting hurt, saying that he was dogging it.

Return home, Jr. Go where you're appreciated. You deserve, at the very least, that much.

It's Griffey's fault that the banks project has stalled year in and year out...and that Carson Palmer's knee got ripped apart in the playoff game a couple of years ago.

This is pretty much the crap that the fans have been spouting over the airways in the last 24 hours...

Here's an email Lance got, which is on his blog page

Lance,
Enough with the Ken Griffey Junior love fest already. If Griffey and Seattle love each other so much why did he OK the trade to Cincinnati? What exactly has Griffey done in Cincinnati to deserve all the praise that you are giving him?

And because he and Barry larkin were making about half of the payroll that the Reds could not afford to get other players and we are paying for it now.
I know you could care less, but I will not listen to your program for about one week. Perhaps by then you will have come to your senses.

That only scratches the surface. Sad really.

KronoRed
06-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Well we all knew when JR said that that the talk radio bunch would be ranting and raving.

Chip R
06-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Well we all knew when JR said that that the talk radio bunch would be ranting and raving.

Always nice to see Cincinnati's inferiority complex front and center.

Matt700wlw
06-26-2007, 03:02 PM

Griffey's a lightning rod, and it's unfortunate sometimes.

BRM
06-26-2007, 03:02 PM

I believe Cyclone refers to them as the "torches and pitchforks crowd".

KronoRed
06-26-2007, 03:05 PM
I believe Cyclone refers to them as the "torches and pitchforks crowd".

I like that :laugh:

jojo
06-26-2007, 03:41 PM

yep...deep thinkers like that tend to congregate.....cincinnati sports talk radio is the flourescent light and it's callers are the bugs. I turned off the *light* a while ago and not surprisingly am bugged alot less.....