PDA

View Full Version : Remembering 1987

WVRedsFan
06-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Since these dayd, it's almost painful to talk about the present state of our Reds, I had a memory transplant today in the form of the official 1987Reds Official Yearbook/Program, which I found when cleaning out some old boxes.

The 87 Reds ended up winning 84 and losing 78. It wasn't a great team, but it didn't embarrass itself either. and we were only 3 years away from a World Series Championship and only 2 years from Pete Rose being banned from baseball.

The program shows that Hudepohl, Burger and Stroh's sitll existed in town and "Thomas" Brenneman was a reporter at Channel 5. The GM was Bill Bergesch and the manager was Pete Rose. Marge Schott owned the team.
Scouting supervisor was Larry Doughty. The coaches were Scott Breeden (pitching), Billy DeMars, Tommy Helms, Brue Kimm, and Tony Perez.

The Reds had some notable players:

Dave Concepcion
Terry Francona
Tracy Jones
Ron Oester
Eric Davis
Buddy Bell
Nick Easaky
Barry Larkin
Dave Parker
Bo diaz
Kal Daniels
Kurt Stillwell
Lloyd McClendon
Paul O'Neill

The pitching staff consisted of:

Tom Browning
Bill Gullickson
Ted Power
Mario Soto
John Franco - the closer

Who'd trade that for what we have now?

The Reds radio network (with Marty and Joe) was made up of 65 stations (19 in Ohio, 15 in Indiana, 19 in Kentucky, 9 in West Virginia, 2 in Virginia, and 1 in Florida. Today the Reds network consists of 44 stations (19 in Ohio, 8 in Indiana, 11 in Kentucky, 4 in West Virginia, and 1 each in Virginia and Mississippi).

The Reds TV network consisted of 18 stations.

1987 wasn't such a great year, but I'd trade it for 2007 right now.

Matt700wlw
06-24-2007, 10:25 PM
That 1987 team could win this divison

WVRedsFan
06-24-2007, 10:28 PM
True. I just cannot believe this team is so bad. This team may be the worst Reds team I've witnessed in my lifetime

Matt700wlw
06-24-2007, 10:30 PM
True. I just cannot believe this team is so bad. This team may be the worst Reds team I've witnessed in my lifetime

It is for me...I was 2 when the 1982 team ruined people's summer...

KronoRed
06-24-2007, 11:08 PM
That 1987 team could win this division

At their ages? doubtful ;)

MrCinatit
06-24-2007, 11:21 PM
At their ages? doubtful ;)

I don't know...a lot of them are pretty scrappy. And some are younger than many on the Cardinals roster.

Team Clark
06-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Who remembers Terry Francona hitting a homer on Opening Day that year? How cool was that?

I was in the 8th grade and my Mom took me to Opening Day. I had already been to ST that year and met several Reds up close and personal. Rose, Perez, Jones, Esasky, Francona, Concepcion, Larkin and Parker. Parker gave me one of Kal Daniel's broken bats. I have a picture of Francona adjusting his cup. I have always wanted to send him a copy of that pic to autograph. One of these days I'll do that.

I can remember watching Buddy Bell, Dave Concepcion, Ron Oester and Francona taking Infield. So sharp. Their DP's were flawless.

I remember the sound of the ball off the bat of Kal Daniels and Nick Esasky. The crisp crack and echo was louder than Davis and Parker. What I remember most is being 12 and those guys treating me like I was their "buddy". In recent years I have had the chance to talk to a few of those guys and reminisce about that last ST in Tampa. Those guys LOVED ST in Tampa. I did too.

cumberlandreds
06-25-2007, 09:28 AM
This team really missed an opportunity to win the division. The NL West was weak that season. The Giants only won 90 games while the Reds just won 84 and still finished second. Starting pitching was the downfall for this team. Ten wins lead the staff with three pitchers doing that. If Mario Soto had been healthy he probably would have made the difference. A good team but like Rose's other teams they came up a little short in second place once again.

macro
06-25-2007, 10:22 AM
That team entered play on August 6 with a five-game lead over the Giants. A four-game weekend sweep at Candlestick later, the lead was only one game.

The big trading piece that summer was the Pirates' Rick Reuschel, and both the Reds and Giants were reportedly after him. The Giants got him.

At the start of the season, I was convinced that the 1987 Reds would win the World Series and that Eric Davis would win the MVP.

Despite never winning a division, the 1985-88 Reds were four of my favorite Reds teams of all time. It was so great to put 1982-84 behind us and get some big-name players back in Reds uniforms. There were some great performances during those years: 1985 NL Rookie Of the Year Tom Browning, who finished the season with 11 straight victories and won 20 games as a rookie, 1985 NL MVP Dave Parker, 1988 Cy Young Award Winner Danny Jackson, who went 23-8...(yes, I know the voters gave those awards to other guys, but they got it wrong ;) )... Browning's perfect game, Eric Davis setting the home run record for April and May...getting Buddy Bell and Bo Diaz in big summer trades...a bunch of lead-off home runs by Kal Daniels...4192...

dfs
06-25-2007, 11:23 AM
And as many have said...they SHOULD have won the division in 87.

Oh, to watch Kal Daniels at the plate....didn't care for any other part of his game, but with a bat in his hand he was something to see.

redsmetz
06-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Dave Concepcion
Terry Francona
Tracy Jones
Ron Oester
Eric Davis
Buddy Bell
Nick Easaky
Barry Larkin
Dave Parker
Bo diaz
Kal Daniels
Kurt Stillwell
Lloyd McClendon
Paul O'Neill

Three future managers on that roster.

Big Klu
06-25-2007, 01:10 PM
That team entered play on August 6 with a five-game lead over the Giants. A four-game weekend sweep at Candlestick later, the lead was only one game.

The big trading piece that summer was the Pirates' Rick Reuschel, and both the Reds and Giants were reportedly after him. The Giants got him.

At the start of the season, I was convinced that the 1987 Reds would win the World Series and that Eric Davis would win the MVP.

Despite never winning a division, the 1985-88 Reds were four of my favorite Reds teams of all time. It was so great to put 1982-84 behind us and get some big-name players back in Reds uniforms. There were some great performances during those years: 1985 NL Rookie Of the Year Tom Browning, who finished the season with 11 straight victories and won 20 games as a rookie, 1985 NL MVP Dave Parker, 1988 Cy Young Award Winner Danny Jackson, who went 23-8...(yes, I know the voters gave those awards to other guys, but they got it wrong ;) )... Browning's perfect game, Eric Davis setting the home run record for April and May...getting Buddy Bell and Bo Diaz in big summer trades...a bunch of lead-off home runs by Kal Daniels...4192...

Tom Browning was the runnerup for ROY in 1985. Cardinals LF Vince Coleman was the unanimous choice for ROY that year.

macro
06-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Tom Browning was the runnerup for ROY in 1985. Cardinals LF Vince Coleman was the unanimous choice for ROY that year.

Yep, I remember all too well. Like I said, though, they got it wrong. Which is more valuable, a 20-game-winning pitcher (Browning) or a guy who stole some bases (Coleman)? a 34 HR 129 RBI guy (Parker) or a .350 hitter who did little else (McGee)?

Sorry to derail the thread. Back to 1987...

Aronchis
06-25-2007, 01:45 PM
The biggest move made during that time was the Parker for Rijo deal. Big consenquences for the early 90's Reds.

Big Klu
06-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Yep, I remember all too well. Like I said, though, they got it wrong. Which is more valuable, a 20-game-winning pitcher (Browning) or a guy who stole some bases (Coleman)? a 34 HR 129 RBI guy (Parker) or a .350 hitter who did little else (McGee)?

Sorry to derail the thread. Back to 1987...

Sorry...I misread your comments! :)

cumberlandreds
06-25-2007, 02:14 PM

I had forgotten about the Rick Reuschel part of that puzzle. The Giants getting him probably won it for them. Looking on Retrosheet he won five games as a Giant with three complete games. It was too bad the Reds didn't get the starting pitching that season that they got in 1988 from Jackson,Browning and Rijo. Those three put up some terrific numbers in 1988 for a team that came up just short once again.

deltachi8
06-25-2007, 02:42 PM
The biggest move made during that time was the Parker for Rijo deal. Big consenquences for the early 90's Reds.

Remember that well. Winter meetings I believe. I stationed myself at the AP wire printer at my college radio station waiting for news from the meetings to come over. Ah, the days before the internet....

westofyou
06-25-2007, 03:07 PM
I had a front row seat to the race, but it was in San Francisco, the emergence of Rosen and Craig really turned around a franchise that was smacked bad just years before, it was painful to be surrounded by Giants fans every day, but I lived in Berkeley that summer... so I survived

Tony Cloninger
06-25-2007, 03:48 PM
They could have had RR before. in 1985 he called the Reds, he was coming off arm problems..but Pete did not want him.....then when they did want him.....the GM refused to trade 1 or 2 of the "crown jewels"....You think a Tracy Jones and some minor leaugers could have made that trade work? Paul O'Neil could have replaced him. But at that time Tracy was thought of as a very good hitter with speed.

THE 1988 team was the opposite of 1987.....all pitching...barely any hitting. But not strong enough pitching to beat LA. Davis could not replace Parker's middle of the order bat....he had an OK year...but nothing like 1987. I think people started turning on him then....the injuries....he was not Willie Mays II.

RBA
06-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Who'd trade that for what we have now?

The Reds radio network (with Marty and Joe) was made up of 65 stations (19 in Ohio, 15 in Indiana, 19 in Kentucky, 9 in West Virginia, 2 in Virginia, and 1 in Florida. Today the Reds network consists of 44 stations (19 in Ohio, 8 in Indiana, 11 in Kentucky, 4 in West Virginia, and 1 each in Virginia and Mississippi).

The Reds TV network consisted of 18 stations.

1987 wasn't such a great year, but I'd trade it for 2007 right now.

Not sure how the radio/tv network fits in with the team make up. But, going by tv/radio availiability by itself, I like 2007 better. None of those radio stations or tv stations would make any difference for me as I'm in California now and was in California in 1987, so I would been shutout in 1987 with the exception of radio broadcast from the Giants, Dodgers, and Padres. And TV broadcast from San Francisco and LA; plus the game of the week (and the Reds had to be playing a west coast team for the most part). And TBS, WGN and whatever cable network (ESPN or USA Network?) they were on at that time for the 1 game a week (most likely not the Reds).

Now I have ample choices for Reds game on TV, sat radio, and internet. Plus the Reds were never on their own TV network as much as they are now.

Team Clark
06-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Three future managers on that roster.

4 if you count the Oester debacle! :laugh: Might be 5 if Larkin gets into the mix.

Always Red
06-25-2007, 05:29 PM
It is for me...I was 2 when the 1982 team ruined people's summer...

That '82 team was the worst for me, far worse than this team, IMO.

Mario Soto was all they had; Berenyi was OK, yet still lost 18 games (3.30 ERA). And Alex Trevino was the everyday catcher!

Driessen led the team with....17 HR and 57 RBI. ouch.

Other than Soto, that was a group of has-been's and never-gonna-be's. There was no hope with that team. This team at least has some young faces that give me hope for the future.