PDA

View Full Version : Grumblings in the Braves' clubhouse

HumnHilghtFreel
06-24-2007, 11:49 PM
Per ESPN:

"When asked if he is rushing his return,Chipper Jones said: "Probably. But I feel a little backed into a corner."

Asked to elaborate, Jones indicated some doubted he was injured enough to miss games.

"Let's just say there are people who don't believe me," Jones said. "Let's just say that and leave it at that."

After Friday night's 5-0 loss to the Tigers, Braves starting pitcher John Smoltz said, "You can't worry about who's in the lineup and who isn't. You can't worry about that stuff anymore."

Added Smoltz: "I certainly appreciate the effort of the guys who are on the field busting it."

When asked about his sore shoulder, Smoltz said: "We all could wish we were feeling better but that's the way it goes."

And Smoltz said players need to get back on the field and play...and Chipper Jones responded....

On how he took Smoltz’s comments last night, if he thought they were directed at him:
“I don’t know, you guys interviewed him last night. How’d ya’ll take it?” (every reporter sort of smiles, looks uncomfortable, etc)
“I’d be stupid if I didn’t take it the same way. So I’ll play the rest of the games this year and do what I can.
“But somebody I know better not miss a start.”
OUCH.
Then: "I got nothing to say," Jones said. "He made his point through the media. Now I'm going to make my point through the media. If he doesn't want to do it man to man, then fine."

LincolnparkRed
06-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Chipper is pretty injury prone, and hey if you start missing games when other players seem to think you are healthy, then either start acting hurt like you claim or suck it up and deal with it when someone calls you out. He hasn't been very durable since 2003. Up until then he played in 153-160 games a year, the last 3, 137,109,110. Can't say there isn't a history.

sonny
06-25-2007, 03:20 AM
Ole Bobby Cox has been thrown out of alot of games lately as well. We are witnessing the death of the Braves.

I, for one think its about time. :rockband:

RedFanAlways1966
06-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Chipper is pretty injury prone, and hey if you start missing games when other players seem to think you are healthy, then either start acting hurt like you claim or suck it up and deal with it when someone calls you out. He hasn't been very durable since 2003. Up until then he played in 153-160 games a year, the last 3, 137,109,110. Can't say there isn't a history.

Chipper is more fragile than... well, I won't mention any names. Chipper gets hurt when swinging the bat and missing the pitch. Chipper gets hurt while walking to the water cooler. Chipper gets hurt when future Hall-of-Famers make comments.

I am glad that Smoltz made these comments. I am sure he is telling it like it is. Seemed to hurt some feelings... but also seemed to get someone's butt back in the game. If Smoltz can heal with words, then he is a miracle worker... or someone wasn't as hurt as badly as they made it out to be. Imagine that.

Jaycint
06-25-2007, 10:19 AM
"I got nothing to say," Jones said. "He made his point through the media. Now I'm going to make my point through the media. If he doesn't want to do it man to man, then fine."

Punk'd! :notworthy

15fan
06-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Today's AJC says that Smoltz & Chipper have made up and all is well.

Got a call Friday afternoon that a neighbor scored his company's seats for the Tigers - Braves game Fri night. Sitting 6 rows back from the field between the Tigers dugout & home plate (ie, close enough to talk to the Tigers in the on deck circle), here's what I saw & heard.

1) Smoltz was throwing a LOT of off-speed stuff. 74-78 mph more often than not. He occasionally could dial up the low-90s. Around the 90 pitch mark, he was gassed and the Tiger bats just started smacking the ball around. For Gary Sheffield's 2nd AB, Smoltz managed to abuse him pretty badly - much to the delight of all of the Braves fans. 93-94 mph fastballs shoulder high, and Sheffield kept swinging at every one of them.

(I had flashbacks to R Laverne Sanders & the 1995 NLCS...)

2) Andruw Jones 2007 = Bret Boone 1997 at the plate. Jones' swing is an absolute wreck. His stance is as wide as Bagwell's was in his prime. And Jones is starting his swing with the top of the bat pointing down at the ground behind him. Everything is all upper body. Consequently, he's late late late on everything. His BA dropped below .200 on Friday night, and the boo birds were definitely out. For the last 2 years, the guy was eating himself out of baseball. That seems to have gotten better, but he needs to completely overhaul his mechanics at the plate if he wants to continue batting in the middle of the lineup anywhere.

3) With Chipper hurting, and Andruw Jones being less of a threat at the plate than Juan Castro, the rest of the Braves lineup is pretty anemic. The Braves have scored 1 run (a Chipper Jones solo homer on Sat) in their last 4 games. Saltalamacchia (as a ph) was about the only guy to hit a ball hard all night on Friday.

4) Kenny Rogers made his first start of the year. Had to figure he was on a low pitch count, but the Braves kept swinging early & often. The Atlanta bats made his job much easier than it should have been.

smith288
06-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Smoltz is stupid for taking it to the media. Chipper looks like the bigger man from my point of view.

HOFer or not, you dont take intersquad tiffs to the media, its a big no no.

deltachi8
06-25-2007, 02:52 PM
. Chipper looks like the bigger man from my point of view.

Except he still goes by "Chipper"

:p:

smith288
06-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Except he still goes by "Chipper"

:p:
Takes a pretty ballsy dude to keep that name if you ask me.

BCubb2003
06-25-2007, 03:06 PM

Pokey, Gookie and Noochie say hey.

Chip R
06-25-2007, 03:12 PM

Yep. :D

Spitball
06-25-2007, 03:17 PM

Heinie Manush and Dick Pole also say, "Hi!"

cumberlandreds
06-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Heinie Manush and Dick Pole also say, "Hi!"

Rusty Kuntz says HI,too. :wave:

RedFanAlways1966
06-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Smoltz is stupid for taking it to the media. Chipper looks like the bigger man from my point of view.

HOFer or not, you dont take intersquad tiffs to the media, its a big no no.

But who mentioned Chipper's name? Not Smoltz. I think Chipper mentioned his own name. Right? Unless I read it wrong. Or unless Smoltz has said something to Chipper prior to this behind closed doors.

Tony Cloninger
06-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Maybe he is getting brittle but he is no JD Drew when it comes to sitting out games beacuse everything does not feel 100% perfect. I think the guy deserves a little more credit than that....and you expect a little better from Smoltz also.

smith288
06-25-2007, 04:47 PM
But who mentioned Chipper's name? Not Smoltz. I think Chipper mentioned his own name. Right? Unless I read it wrong. Or unless Smoltz has said something to Chipper prior to this behind closed doors.
Thats just semantics. Everyone knows who Smoltz was talking about. Not naming a name yet making it abundantly clear is still taking a clubhouses dirtly laundry to the media.

Smoltz should know better than that.

RANDY IN INDY
06-25-2007, 05:27 PM
I'll take Chipper in my foxhole, any day. Smoltz too.

camisadelgolf
06-25-2007, 08:30 PM
I don't have a link, but I read that John Smoltz and Chipper Jones have already chalked this up to a misunderstanding and smoothed it over.

RedFanAlways1966
06-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Thats just semantics. Everyone knows who Smoltz was talking about. Not naming a name yet making it abundantly clear is still taking a clubhouses dirtly laundry to the media.

Smoltz should know better than that.

I can't argue with ya on that, smith. It seems as though the recent losing has made the Braves frustrated. And losing a guy who has been hitting around .400 since his return from the DL on June 13 doesn't help. Of course having his hitting recently didn't help either. I don't know if Smoltz is just frustrated at the losing or truly thinks Chipper is being a wimp. However, you are right that talking through the media is not the right way to speak to the matter.